Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 23,552
    DD's FRIDAY 13TH RETROSPECTIVE

3 - Friday The 13th: Part 3

Friday3.jpg

Jason gets his Goldfinger as Friday 3 delivers one of the most iconic moments in the series. Here's to number 3 and the infamous hockey mask!

So, let's just cut to the chase. I think this is one big step-down from the previous two. The climax is frankly rather boring - how often do we see people crawl up on the second level of a dull barn!? - and there's the issue of the 3D print converted to a 2D print, resulting in some of the most irritating and at times confusing camera angles ever in the series. Besides that, however, there's decent material here. There's some lovely slashing to be done and some effective puns to be heard. T&A is on the low side but that's not too big a deal. ;-) I'm not sure I like the motor gang either. It helps that I know where this is going next time though. Overall, the film would have benefited from a slightly better script and, preferably, better characters. The girl with the past Jason experiences really doesn't do it for me at all.

Bottom line, I'm watching this film, looking forward to some quality boosts with part 4.

Final verdict: 6,5/10

Score card:
    Friday The 13th: 8,5/10
    Friday The 13th Part 2: 8/10
    Friday The 13Th Part 3: 6,5/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I luuurve Part 3 most, but I agree on the 3D aspect. It looks silly when watched in 2013 in 2D form. And by the girl with the past Jason experiences, are you talking about Chris? I thought she was quite pretty, but she is pipped to the position as my #1 Friday final girl by part 7's Tina.
    Iron Man 3! Absolutely awesome!!! Enough said!!!
    I luuurve Part 3 most, but I agree on the 3D aspect. It looks silly when watched in 2013 in 2D form. And by the girl with the past Jason experiences, are you talking about Chris? I thought she was quite pretty, but she is pipped to the position as my #1 Friday final girl by part 7's Tina.

No-one beats FvJ's Lori for me. Other than that, yes, Chris is very pretty indeed. ;-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dalton12 wrote:
    superman%3a-the-movie-wallpapers_16488_1024x768.jpg

SUPERMAN (1978)
    Just watched it for the first time in a while, and you know what? this movie and The Dark Knight are the best superhero movies ever made. Superman II is also just as good.Christopher Reeve is, by far, the best actor to play Superman. How he portrayed Kal-El pretending to be Clark Kent as two different characters (although, they were the same person) was definitely an example of great acting. God takes the good guys... thank you Christopher Reeve. 
    It's scary how well the film holds up! It IS my favourite superhero movie of all time.
    Superman is a great film but by the same token things went downhill pretty quickly after that. I consider the Lester version of Superman II vastly inferior to the Donner cut and I won't even begin to describe my loathing of Richard Pryor III Superman III and Superman IV - TQFP. Even Supergirl is a much better film than either SIII or SIV in my book. Why? Well, none of these have a lot going for them but at least Supergirl features Helen Slater. It frankly amazes me how much backlash Superman Returns received. I think of it as second only to Superman or in a third place if we choose to consider the Donner cut part of the official canon.

As for the Salkinds: worst film producers ever to grab hold of a comic book franchise (and that includes Roger Coreman!).
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,691
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Even Supergirl is a much better film than either SIII or SIV in my book. Why? Well, none of these have a lot going for them but at least Supergirl features Helen Slater.
    I have a soft spot for Supergirl... great Goldsmith music, EXCELLENT flying FX, Peter O'Toole.... way better than S3 or 4.
    \m/
    And SR gets a raw deal IMO. It wasn't that bad at all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Iron Man 3! Absolutely awesome!!! Enough said!!!

Great to know! Seeing it for my birthday on Monday.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Great to know! Seeing it for my birthday on Monday.
    Happy Birthday in case I'm otherwise occupied Monday!!!
    @chrisisall, thank you very much! Much appreciated.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Django Unchained

While I do have my issues with it, I was ultimately satisfied with all the dialogue and visual Tarantinoisms that are present in all of Quentin's films and loved Leo as a villain. I will need to see this one more to really pat down how I feel, but I think it is overall a worthy addition to the Tarantino filmography.
    Django Unchained

While I do have my issues with it, I was ultimately satisfied with all the dialogue and visual Tarantinoisms that are present in all of Quentin's films and loved Leo as a villain. I will need to see this one more to really pat down how I feel, but I think it is overall a worthy addition to the Tarantino filmography.

What were your issues with it, might I ask?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Django Unchained

I feel like the film could have ended at the point where Schultz and Django are discovered at Candyland, yet we have so much more of the film to go from that point where it just felt like padding the plot. Django then gets sold and eventually set free and just does the same thing he did more than half and hour later, so I feel the film could have ended so much sooner and would have been more satisfying instead of dragging on. Like I said, I will need to see it many more times to fully suck it in, but I did like it.
    Jonah Hex, mmmmmmmmmweh.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Mama 7/10

Not a bad horror flick but not as scary as I was hoping it would be.

Broken City 5/10

Just a boring film that dragged on.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,081
    The Last Samurai - the other Edward Zwick film I enjoy tremendously every time I watch it (the other being Defiance), and one of Tom Cruise's best for sure. An interesting story (hello, John Logan!), the movie looks beautiful, and is well acted all around.

Perdita Durango (released as Dance With The Devil in the US) - Rosie Perez and Javier Bardem as psychotic, weird and violent soulmates on the road, with James Gandolfini's officer determined to catch them. I expected this to be sicker and more brutal than it was... not sure what that says about me. ;) (And yes, mine is the uncut version.) Not bad, but... I don't know... Anyway, will watch again same day. (Btw, the character Perdita Durango was played by Isabella Rosselini in Wild At Heart.)

Between Your Legs (Entre Las Piernas) - A Spanish drama where the characters played by Javier Bardem and Victoria Abril first meet at a sex addicts anonymous meeting, a body later gets found from an abandoned car where they've left some of their DNA, and her husband is investigating the case... I liked this one.

Bonnie and Clyde - Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty as the main characters. Never mind the artistic freedom taken with the actual story. Personally I don't mind that it's not historically accurate. I just enjoy the movie.

Escape From Alcatraz - I've seen this several times. Excellent prison drama. Clint Eastwood plays the main character, everyone else is also good in their roles.

The Last Samurai - the other Edward Zwick film I enjoy tremendously every time I watch it (the other being Defiance), and one of Tom Cruise's best for sure. An interesting story (hello, John Logan!), the movie looks beautiful, and is well acted all around.

Ah yes Tom Cruise doing SHOGUN all over again. O:-)
    Under Siege II - Dark Territory (1995)

Can't beat a Seagal movie, but this isn't one of his best. Poor decision to make the sequel on a train and Seagal looks less capable than some previous entries like Hard to Kill and Marked for Death, but it's better than subsequent efforts such as Fire Down Below and The Glimmer Man or Exit Wounds. Even Killifer from License to Kill gets involved. Still worth a watch from time to time

'Nobody beats me in the kitchen'

Under_Siege_2_Dutch-front.jpg
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Django Unchained

I feel like the film could have ended at the point where Schultz and Django are discovered at Candyland, yet we have so much more of the film to go from that point where it just felt like padding the plot. Django then gets sold and eventually set free and just does the same thing he did more than half and hour later, so I feel the film could have ended so much sooner and would have been more satisfying instead of dragging on. Like I said, I will need to see it many more times to fully suck it in, but I did like it.

I think you're right.
    The only thing we get by that extra half or more hour was Tarantino's cameo which is too campy.
    0013 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Django Unchained

I think you're right.
    The only thing we get by that extra half or more hour was Tarantino's cameo which is too campy.
    Exactly.
    It all just feels unneeded and the same exact ending would have happened if Django didn't surrender. Quentin could have easily made it so that Django never runs out of bullets and instead he is able to finish killing off the rest of the people in the house and get his wife back. It would have continued the great shooting action without causing a stop and make the intensity run its course instead of being broken up like it is in the film when Django is captured. The whole film builds up to that shooting and it could have been one big climax, but instead it ends and you are left unsatisfied until Quentin stops playing around and finally gives us an ending after receiving half an hour of padding. It just doesn't make sense to me and really hurts the film. In that padding we get Quentin's cameo and the one slave who held contempt for Django gives him his respect, but other than that those scenes don't do anything to contribute to the story we had known up to that point. The script could have easily been changed to make the whole ending much more efficient and rewarding.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited May 2013 Posts: 1,874
    Star Trek Into Darkness. edit Moved to Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Cinema thread!
    Hoping to sit down and watch Warhorse later, fingers crossed!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7,
    I really would have preferred a longer shootout. More men arrive, and it would have made the buildup, like you said, much, much better.

@Baltimore_007, what's your favorite Seagal film? Mine is 'Out for Justice,' hands down.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7,
    I really would have preferred a longer shootout. More men arrive, and it would have made the buildup, like you said, much, much better.

Absolutely. What were some of your favorite parts of the film? I love the whole Tarantino style of it, and as usual the score is absolute perfection. I have been listening to so many songs from that film on loop, and I already loved Jim Croce and John Legend, so it was great to see them get featured in the film and so fittingly. The Django theme song is so darn catchy, and the singer reminds me of Elvis, making it all the greater in my eyes. I also love Leo as a villain, a somewhat surprising turn for him, but boy is he great at it. I would love to see him in more villain roles in the future. And Christoph is just an absolute badarse as Schultz; he steals every scene he is in. Overall, I like it and can't wait to see it again, because it is a very capacious film experience.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 40,478
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I agree with you on the fantastic score and songs, and I have a bunch on loop, too, such as Legend's 'Who Did That To You,' or 'Ancora Qui, or Richie Havens' live performance of 'Freedom.' Tarantino at his finest once again.

My favorite scenes? The gunfights and whatnot are absolutely excellent, and I love the blood effects they decided to go with. The dialogue, as usual, again, is very catchy and addictive, and I love the storytelling that Tarantino goes with. My favorite scene:
    The start of dinner to Django surrendering. The whole buildup is phenomenal, wondering how they will escape, who will survive, and how they may discover the ruse. It's perfect.
    DD's FRIDAY 13TH RETROSPECTIVE

4 - Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter

Poster.jpg

Now we're talking! I'll be honest, I've always had a thing for this film. The blood and gore are amped up - Thank you maestro Savini!. There are some characters I really like for once - See how Crispin Glover does the most awesome 'cool' dance ever! The T&A runs red hot - I'm not a horndog but it . does . matter in an 80s slasher flick, sorry. :P We are also introduced to Tommy Jarvis, one of the series' more important characters, played by... Cory Feldman. I tell ya, there's enough in this film to please little old 80s born me even without a good script.

Speaking of the script, heck, it's great fun. No - no, no one won an Oscar for this but look, while Ebert (RIP) and Siskel (RIP) kept ranting on slasher flicks and their morally objectionable, youth corrupting nature, this film brought Paramount enough good pennies to keep going. Now, I'm not saying I like where they're going after this, but nevermind that for now.

Here's the truth: I love The Final Chapter. It's no Citizen Kane, hell - it ain't even Ghostbusters for all I care, but it works all the right buttons for me!

@MajorDSmythe is SOOOO not going to like this, but Dimi says:

Final verdict: 8,5/10

Score card:
    Friday The 13th: 8,5/10
    Friday The 13th - The Final Chapter: 8,5/10
    Friday The 13th Part 2: 8/10
    Friday The 13Th Part 3: 6,5/10
    Iron Man 3. Loved it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I don't dislike The Final Chapter. I mean, I don't like it as much as Part 3, The New Blood, Jason Goes To Hell or the reboot. But there is one big problem I have with The Final Chapter...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    We are also introduced to Tommy Jarvis, one of the series' more important characters, played by... Cory Feldman.

And there it is. Jason killed by Tommy Jarvis Corey Feldman... Corey... Feldman. Michael Myers might have had a stern telling off from Busta Rhymes, but Rhymes was a grown man.

Still, it's a lot better than what came next...
    Star Trek Into Darkness. 10/10!!! Brilliant film. After seeing Cumberbatch as the Villain? God how i would love to see him as a Villain up against Craig's Bond! Think that would be epic!
    I don't dislike The Final Chapter. I mean, I don't like it as much as Part 3, The New Blood, Jason Goes To Hell or the reboot. But there is one big problem I have with The Final Chapter...
    DarthDimi wrote:
    We are also introduced to Tommy Jarvis, one of the series' more important characters, played by... Cory Feldman.

And there it is. Jason killed by Tommy Jarvis Corey Feldman... Corey... Feldman. Michael Myers might have had a stern telling off from Busta Rhymes, but Rhymes was a grown man.

Still, it's a lot better than what came next...

Ok, I can see that. But truly, it's Savini's who killed Jason. ;-) And, we have the twins... Oh, try to take me away from the twins... ;-)

The truth, Major. The camp bloody truth: moving on from this may be my biggest nightmare...