Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, that's what got me about the film, as well: you want a good ending and an even better reveal, fine. But, don't make it shockingly obvious in the opening moments.

Exactly. It would be different if we were expected to look back on that exchange and realise early on, where the film was going. But it's so unsubtle, you would have to be not paying attention to miss it.

I Anna (2012)

Enigmatic and deeply complex, the sort of character that Rampling could play in her sleep. And I don't think London has ever looked so good on screen.
    It's also nice to see Rampling and Hayley Atwell share the screen at last, seeing as how they were both in The Duchess and Restless. In the former they were different characters whom didn't meet, in the latter they were the same character, 3 decades apart. What's more, I was able to believe Rampling & Atwell were mother & daughter more easily than them as the same person.

Rampling ranking: 3/31
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DD's FRIDAY 13TH RETROSPECTIVE

1 - Friday The 13th

friday-the-13th-title.jpg

It's the first in the series, the one without Jason and the obvious Halloween clone. It's the one that cemented the rules about sex in the first act, the final girl, the things you can best not say, ... In other words, it may very well be the pivotal slasher flick, the film that spawned myriads of rip-offs in 1980 alone. And I'm a huge fan.

Don't you just love the music, or the good old-fashioned suspense? Don't you love toying with suggestions about who will get it next? And should we forget, don't you love Kevin Bacon's film début, juiced up by the great Tom Savini?

1_future.jpg

True, the rest of the horror scene has caught up with Friday The 13th. It has lost a lot of its scariness over the years. But even for nostalgic reasons alone, the film remains good fun. I myself have watched this film countless times already and I find it infinitely quotable too. [Note: take your phone when you're on the train, pretend you're making a call and then say "You're going to Camp Blood, ain't ya? You'll never come back again. It's got a death curse!]

Final verdict: 8,5/10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't like the original film, but I still think it is THE film responsible for the 80's slasher genre.

283129-crazy_ralph_large.jpg
    "You're gonna follow Dimi's Friday The 13th retrospective, ain't ya?" ;)
    The first FT13 film is still my favourite, even without Jason. Like Major said, without it then the slasher craze wouldn't have really kicked off.

Sweeney!

I enjoyed Ray Winstone as Regan (he basically mixed the original character with his usual cockney hardman act) but the new film couldn't compare to the original series, so I was happy to find a double disc set of both the TV movies.

I hadn't seen either before and I still haven't watched the second one, but this was great. Felt more like a feature length episode than a movie but there's nothing wrong with that. It's still lots of fun.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited April 2013 Posts: 543
    Supermanmolemen.jpg

Gearing for the Man of Steel in June, I began watching the serials and "Adventures of Superman" TV show which lead to the "Superman and the Mole Men" movie. It certainly wasn't what I expected. I thought the mole men would be more threatening. Superman wasn't in it as much. I did enjoy watching George Reeves whenever he was on. His Clark is more confident which I liked although it doesn't make him too different from his Superman which at times I thought he was giving himself away. I also liked Phyllis Coates as Lois Lane, even though I did enjoy Noel Neill from the serials. Anyways, it was ok.

Superman and the Mole Men: C
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I LOVE Liam, I really do. :) Have seen Taken II yet.

I just watched, or rather fast forwarded thru (it was so bad)
    Pressed starring Luke Goss. It was incredibly stupid. Has anyone seen it?
    I have now seen two films with him and hated both.

Playing TSWLM now as I write this, just to cheer me up.

That's the one with Goss as a sales exec who loses his job right? Yeah the fi was pretty silly and the ending ticked me off.

Anyway, last film I saw was Olympus has fallen. Basically it's die hard in the White House and it was actually entertaining. Those Koreans were bloody well organised. The shootout set pieces were some of the best in any Hollywood action film (at least in recent memory anyway).

edited April 2013 Posts: 23,548
    DD's FRIDAY 13TH RETROSPECTIVE

2 - Friday The 13th: Part 2

MV5BMzE4NDkyMjgwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY4ODgyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

It's the inevitable sequel. And it's the one that introduced Jason, but with a bag over his head instead of a hockey mask. And we're going to do things all over again. But that's what slashers are all about. And I'm eating this thing up like a starved predator his prey. Plenty of bold choices too (the kid in the wheelchair!) and some impressive T&A. The tension runs high for those who dig this material, like myself, and the finale is quite satisfying. Also, here's the film that introduced the fate-of-last-film's-final-girl routine. Alice survived F13 but let's see if she can make it past the (lengthy) prologue of this film... Not so essential a classic as the first film in the series but a big treat nonetheless.

Final verdict: 8/10

Score card:
    Friday The 13th: 8,5/10
    Friday The 13th Part 2: 8/10
    Crank and Blitz with the one and only Statham
    Watched Ransom (1996) with mad mel gibson in it.
    Quite a good film which i rate 7 mad mels out of ten.
    Richard Maibaum screenwriter for a lot of bond films did the story for this film even though he died in 1991....
    Ah part 2, @DarthDimi, we're getting nearer. ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189
    The Bus that Couldn't Slow Down

Speed (1994)

I enjoyed this film a lot as a teenager and gave it another look while resting after a (partial) tooth extraction. Overall I think it holds up fairly well with some impressive driving work and well staged action sequences. Bullock is excellent as the geeky but pretty girl next door, Hopper has fun as the psychotic bomber and Jeff Daniels is also very good as the doomed Harry. As for Reeves well...he looks the part and has a few moments but is somewhat...monotone shall I say. I know thats probably a bit of a cliche now.

Still not bad, even if the track playing over the end credits sounds VERY 90s in 2013.

7.5/10
    Alan Ruck is in that, from Ferris Buellers Day Off. I didn't recognize him as a first watch. It's a simple, yet effective piece of cinema and is always a great watch. The late Dennis Hopper plays a great villain, that 'loses his head' towards the end, and Bullock looks mighty fine, as she usually does. Easily Reeve's biggest star turn after Point Break and before The Matrix. Highly recommended to any who has yet to see it (if they indeed exist)
    Oblivion at the movies and watching Wallstreet at the moment.
    "Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel"
    Kurosawa's IKIRU. The only film I've ever cried on, apart from DUMBO and TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE.
    IRON MAN 3

iron-man-3-release-date.jpg

It's a good film in my book but I reckon that it's made for the true superhero fans. I will refrain from posting spoilers at this point but I can say that for me, personally, it ranks somewhere between IM1 and IM2, gravitating more towards the latter. The action is cool (oh - and you might want to consider staying till after the credits ;-)) but remember that this isn't Avengers 2. It's the first film of Phase 2 and let's hope that Thor 2 and Cap 2 can deliver some more punches towards Avengers 2. Either way, Iron Man still knows how to do things. ;-)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @DarthDimi I thought the way they did The Mandarin was just brilliant. I never saw it coming.
    True. It was good fun to see them properly use all of Kingsley's talents. Great performance!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Incredibles 2004
    Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Samuel L. Jackson, Jason Lee.
    the%20incredibles.jpg
    As a young teenager nothing made me happier than watching a different Bond movie every week. I had just seen OHMSS for the first time and I was going to see Shrek with a friend and then the greatest movie trailer of all time popped up...It was a classic adventure, it was a superhero movie it has a huge influence of James Bond written all over it...it was INCREDIBLE! If a movie trailer ever uses the OHMSS theme I will see the movie, and this was one movie I was glad to see in theaters.

So the story is about a Superhero family who lives an undercover life as a normal family as superheros are now taboo. Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible wishes to relive his glory days when adventure comes calling. Mr. Incredible is once again called into action and little does he know it's a new enemy in the form of someone who used to adore him.

This is one of the best, if not The Best CGI animated films of all time. It captures the essence of 60's era superhero movies but it also looks and feels like a classic James Bond movie and it even has some little homages to it. Henchmen wearing matching uniforms, secret lairs with domed train cars. And the music....originally John Barry was asked to score the movie but he turned it down because he didn't want to repeat his old style so Michael Giacchino was called into the composer's chair and crafted something that sounds and feels like a classic 60's era John Barry score.

I can't recommend this movie enough!
    10/10!!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have always loved The Incredibles, and need to revisit it soon. It is easily a top 5 Pixar film.
    Best use of OHMSS music outside of the film ever!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wow, I never knew they used the OHMSS score in one of the film's trailers! I guess that was a tribute to Barry in a way. Now you have me going to listen to this film's score. ;)
    Wow, I never knew they used the OHMSS score in one of the film's trailers! I guess that was a tribute to Barry in a way. Now you have me going to listen to this film's score. ;)

I suggest finding the rare expanded score. It has alot of cues inspired from Goldfinger, YOLT and DAF.

This track in particular is an obvious homage to "007" ;)
    Hopper ruled in Speed....a shame I didn't see it in cinema :/

Swamp Thing 4/6

Return of Swamp Thing 3/6 , kinda stale. Locklear plays his gf this time.

Wouldn't mind another ST movie , they're going sequel crazy anyway ;)
    Giacchino is a genius! I want him to score a Bond film very badly.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I think I read somewhere that Brad Bird wanted John Barry to score The Incredibles, but he declined due to it being similar to his other works. But yes, Giacchino's score is brilliant, as is the film. It's a shame they havent made a sequel.

Also, see Cars 2 soundtrack.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 1,107
    superman%3a-the-movie-wallpapers_16488_1024x768.jpg

SUPERMAN (1978)
    Just watched it for the first time in a while, and you know what? this movie and The Dark Knight are the best superhero movies ever made. Superman II is also just as good.Christopher Reeve is, by far, the best actor to play Superman. How he portrayed Kal-El pretending to be Clark Kent as two different characters (although, they were the same person) was definitely an example of great acting. God takes the good guys... thank you Christopher Reeve. 
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    ^Just saw it this past week. Still hold up pretty well and I like the practical effects (like Superman flying off although some of the miniature work seems dated). I haven't really seen it since I was younger, but watching it now, it felt slow at some parts. Everyone was great, Reeve as you mentioned, Kidder, Hackman, Brando, they whole cast was pretty good. I watched the extended cut which I've never seen before so some of those additional scenes kind of surprised me. Very good movie.

edited May 2013 Posts: 16,330
    Wreck it Ralph
    Once again Disney delivers with Wreck it Ralph. A movie about a videogame villain who wants to be a good guy and earn the respect of his fellow characters.

It's not the best Disney Animated movie I've seen. That honor goes to The Incredibles, but it's still very good. I will say the childish toilet humor got to be a bit too much at some point but it didn't ruin the movie for me. It's a beautiful movie. And the cameos from classic game characters was a very nice touch. 8/10
    The Blair Witch Project 1999

Decided on another watch with some recent free time and yet again, it amounted to little more than nothing. Was it frightening ?, was it scary ?, did it have the viewer hiding behind the couch ? No, no and no. It was merely frustrating above all else. Watch as three kids get lost in the woods and use more profanities than Goodfellas, get angry and shout at each other, and don't have the commonsense to follow a stream or climb a tree for a better view of their surroundings, then vomit as the camera shakes up and down, and left and right, for what seems the entire duration, and then wonder at the end, quite what it was you were watching, or how this piece of crap movie made an absolute landslide fortune at the box office on a budget of shirt buttons

Bizarre
    Parental Guidance- laugh out loud, comedy gold! Very clean and appropriate humor too, with a little bit of more mature humor mixed in to keep it away from being entirely kiddie; nevertheless, a terrificly clean and quality, comedic movie! I recommend it highly!