Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    One thing I did like about Die Hard 5 (and there's really not much to like) was that John Mcclane felt like John Mcclane again.

He was cracking more jokes again, he was (sort of) in the wrong place at the wrong time again, there was even one bit where he actually seemed scared! That's something we haven't really seen since the first one.

Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters

Fun, gory popcorn flick. Not one for the film snobs but if you like this sort of thing normally or if you're just looking for a bit of escapism then you'll enjoy it.

We are called 'dedicated cinephiles', thank you very much.
    One thing I did like about Die Hard 5 (and there's really not much to like) was that John Mcclane felt like John Mcclane again.

He was cracking more jokes again, he was (sort of) in the wrong place at the wrong time again, there was even one bit where he actually seemed scared! That's something we haven't really seen since the first one.

Fun, gory popcorn flick. Not one for the film snobs but if you like this sort of thing normally or if you're just looking for a bit of escapism then you'll enjoy it.

I meant the people who treat everything that isn't Oscar bait as below them. Wasn't aimed at you.

You might not be the biggest fan of action movies but from what I've read you enjoy a few and seem to have good taste in film :)>-
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 5,802
    Les Misérables. Loved it ! And Anne Hathaway deserved her Oscar.

And her BAFTA.

And her Golden Globe.

But the kid who played Gavroche deserved an Oscar too. Too bad he wasn't in the competition.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I meant the people who treat everything that isn't Oscar bait as below them. Wasn't aimed at you.

You might not be the biggest fan of action movies but from what I've read you enjoy a few and seem to have good taste in film :)>-

Oh, I'm all warm inside now.

I just thought you meant people who are fans of classics and don't like to see films like this one in question that seem to be a waste of time.

I appreciate the compliment, and I do have a lot of favorite films that have action in them. I am never against action in any film as long as there is some great dialogue, acting, thrills and characterization along with it that make you connect to those in the film and their journey. Plus, some feats done by stunt men for real on film are just awe inspiring, and quite inspirational. TSWLM ski jump is one insane example.
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    Great film 10/10.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Finally got round to watching Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer last night. Wow! What an uncomfortable 80 minutes. Brilliantly acted by everyone and I'll never look at that bloke from Cliffhanger in the same way again.

Also saw Looper the other day too. A little over convoluted at times (I suppose that's hardly surprising for a movie that feels like its been adapted from a Philip K. Dick story) but nonetheless a film with a teriffic premise and solid performances,
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Finally got round to watching Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer last night. Wow! What an uncomfortable 80 minutes. Brilliantly acted by everyone and I'll never look at that bloke from Cliffhanger in the same way again.

I know, right?! That scared me to death when I first saw it. How about when
    they attack that family, video tape it and then go back to their apartment to watch it over and over again?!
    Moments like that in the film send a chill up my spine.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

I know, right?! That scared me to death when I first saw it. How about when
    they attack that family, video tape it and then go back to their apartment to watch it over and over again?!
    Moments like that in the film send a chill up my spine.

Thats a horrible sequence but brilliantly done. You know that there is no sugar-coating to the violence when
    the poor kid gets his neck broken too
    . The end when
    he dumps that suitcase containing Becky's remains
    is partly expected but still terrifying.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @BAIN123, I really dig this film. Violent, yes, but also incredibly authentic IMO. Have you ever watched the sequel?
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @BAIN123, I really dig this film. Violent, yes, but also incredibly authentic IMO. Have you ever watched the sequel?
    No I haven't. Is it good?I really liked POASK but not sure its one of those films I'd rush to watch again soon. MUCH more disturbing than other "twisted" films of the serial killer genre - like Se7en.
    Henry 2 isn't as good as the first one but I reckon if you managed to stick through the first one, you might want to give number 2 a try. Of course it doesn't have Michael Rooker in it. ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Wars episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
    starwars-wall.jpg
    The first Star Wars movie ever made and it holds up extremely well. Watching it today it's still a timeless classic that has aged very well.
    9.5/10
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,575
    Cool film.Cool image.
    Silver lining Playbook - Both Bradly And lawrence were rightly nominated for the Oscar, the movie is well worth your time.
    People who wouldve been Oscar nominated if I were calling the shots :

Langella as Skeletor (Masters of Universe...he really chew the scenery)

Alberto de Mendoza as father Purjadov (Horror Express , loved the way he captured the demonic side)

Forster as terrorist leader (Delta Force......he really captured the sinister side of a hijacker , even more disturbing to watch post 9/11)

Spinell (starring role in Maniac , a really disturbing portrayal......he def goes in depth into the character !)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,639
    A man called tiger 3/6

Thank goodness Lee turned this down in favor of Way , mediocre action choreography and the story is meh , something about 2 gangs fighting. Shot in Japan but it might as well been in H.K cuz we see very very little of Japan.

After 2 films with Lo Wei directing Bruce said : "no way , Lo Wei !"......Rome would be next.

Frankenstein meets Wolfman 4/6

I much prefer Hammers Curse of Werewolf although this is all right.
    Just watching The Rock for the first time in a few years. A cheesey but fantistically entertaining film. Unlike Bay's later film it has some real actors/charismatic stars to give it gravitas.

"I want a shuite, a shower, a shave and the feel of a shuit" ;) Probably the best line in the film.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Just watching The Rock for the first time in a few years. A cheesey but fantistically entertaining film. Unlike Bay's later film it has some real actors/charismatic stars to give it gravitas.

"I want a shuite, a shower, a shave and the feel of a shuit" ;) Probably the best line in the film.

If Sean wasn't in that film we wouldn't even give it the time of day. Just goes to show that Bay's films are saved only by his casts, of which he got lucky with in this film and Bad Boys.
    BAIN123 wrote:

If Sean wasn't in that film we wouldn't even give it the time of day. Just goes to show that Bay's films are saved only by his casts, of which he got lucky with in this film and Bad Boys.

Cage is funny in it.

Bond: "Drop the gun...or I drop your boss"
    Cage: "You will NOT!!!"

Cage: "PLEASE DON'T"

:))

I think he's meant to be a bit unconvincing as a tough guy though, hence why Sean and the teenager on the bike laugh at him when he acts hard
    New Nightmare

My opinion of it hasn't changed. Definetly one of the best Elm Street movies.
    New Nightmare

It's a, okay film IMO. A fine experiment and overall interesting as a pre-Scream meta exercise. Englund's new make-up I find to be rather scary. However, it's no Freddy vs Jason, which allowed Englund to go out with a bang.

Jonah Hex
    Oh boy. I've enjoyed a lot from Neveldine and Taylor so far, but this film, for which they wrote the screenplay, is an incomplete mess with very poor ambitions and the good sense of wasting my time. Good thing it's only about 81 minutes 'long'. Hands down one of the worst films I've seen lately.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Jonah Hex
    Oh boy. I've enjoyed a lot from Neveldine and Taylor so far, but this film, for which they wrote the screenplay, is an incomplete mess with very poor ambitions and the good sense of wasting my time. Good thing it's only about 81 minutes 'long'. Hands down one of the worst films I've seen lately.
    Happy that I passed it by; sad that I was right to.
    :(
    I watched it only because my weekly film podcast fix, http://www.nowplayingpodcast.com/archives.htm#DCHeroes is currently doing a 'DC Heroes' retrospective including Tank Girl, Constantine and Jonah Hex. The latter is up for review coming Tuesday. It helps to know that when a film is bad beyond imagination, the NPP hosts turn their conversations in very humorous directions.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I watched it only because my weekly film podcast fix, http://www.nowplayingpodcast.com/archives.htm#DCHeroes is currently doing a 'DC Heroes' retrospective including Tank Girl, Constantine and Jonah Hex. The latter is up for review coming Tuesday. It helps to know that when a film is bad beyond imagination, the NPP hosts turn their conversations in very humorous directions.

I would love to hear their Schumacher Batman reviews, then.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:

Yes, me too. After my recent review of them (which were angry reviews lol) I'd love to hear your thoughs @DarthDimi. ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just finished 'Grave Encounters.' I don't want to talk about it.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Follow the link, scroll down and you will find two handsome Schumacher reviews AND two Burton reviews and three wonderful Nolan reviews and Mask Of The Phantasm plus Batman 66! There's enough Batman for the whole family. ;-)

• Sinister....
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    New Nightmare

I like New Nightmare, and i'd even go out on a limb and say that it's my favourite ANOES film.
    Sinister....

I love that film! Great acting, very creepy.