Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    edited February 2013 Posts: 290
    Wow Edge of Darkness (2010) was phenomenally good!!

Loved it!

9/10 I think :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,894
    wheredangerlives.jpg

Nice little Noir about a doctor (Mitchum) whom falls in love with one of his patients (Domergue), soon the pair are forced to go on the run...

Mitchum ranking: 12/25.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    wheredangerlives.jpg

Nice little Noir about a doctor (Mitchum) whom falls in love with one of his patients (Domergue), soon the pair are forced to go on the run...

Mitchum ranking: 12/25.

So you would recommend it to a noir fan?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,107
    Thor **½
    Marvel's The Avengers ***
    Skyfall *****
    Resident Evil Retribution (no stars...one of the worst zombie / game-to-movie movies ever! Please stop making Resident Evil movies Paul W.S. Anderson and the company...retire from the movie business!)
    Taken 2 - no where as good as original but worth a watch
    Had a classic action double bill last night consisting of Raiders of The Lost Ark and Die Hard. Both virtually perfect films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Chronicles Of Riddick marathon

Chronicles_of_riddick_3.jpg

Pitch Black

Sci-Fi fused with horror. Effective little monster film with nice photography.

Dark Fury

Fun little animated short to bridge the first and second live action film. From the director of the original Aeon Flux animated series.

Chronicles Of Riddick

Less horror, more fantasy. Still nice to see.
    Iron Man 2. Finally got round to seeing it yesterday. Have to say i enjoyed the original better. Glad i watched it though as there were some good moments in there, and also the fact that it was the only movie i had not seen set before Avengers Assemble.
    Just got about 2/3rds (just over) through The Godfather as I've never seen it before.. but got a little bored so I'm watching Stay directed by Marc Forster (same dude as QoS but I'm sure you all mostly know that!) and it's pretty cool so far!

I'll finish the Godfather too but it's just soooo long!

I'm now about 40 minutes into Stay and I'll watch the rest tomorrow.

I think I watch films like most people read books lol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    hoppimike wrote:
    Just got about 2/3rds (just over) through The Godfather as I've never seen it before.. but got a little bored so I'm watching Stay directed by Marc Forster (same dude as QoS but I'm sure you all mostly know that!) and it's pretty cool so far!

@hoppimike, could you please limit yourself to fully viewed material? If we're all going to post the various slivers of something we are currently watching, this thread becomes a mess for sure. Thank you. ;-)

Incidentally, the word 'bored' has no place in the same sentence as The Godfather. That's blasphemous, sir! ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:

@hoppimike, could you please limit yourself to fully viewed material? If we're all going to post the various slivers of something we are currently watching, this thread becomes a mess for sure. Thank you. ;-)

Incidentally, the word 'bored' has no place in the same sentence as The Godfather. That's blasphemous, sir! ;-)

I was going to make the same point, @DarthDimi. I can't understand how could someone get bored with a movie with great acting (and great actors!), a script full of wisdom and a story that encompasses aspects of a great deal of things in our lifes (not only to gangsters) like family, love, hate, friends, enemies, betrayal, business, ecc.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Am I supposed to take this hoppmike guy seriously when he comes out with comments like The Godfather and boring like Darth has commented above?

It's bad enough we are supposed to accept his views on Bond when he's a newbie who hasn't seen all the films but now he's passing comment on a film largely regarded as a masterpiece when he hasn't watched the film all the way through.

Any film that contains the Sollozzo, Mclusky hit sequence is not boring and that's just one scene, I recommend though viewing it on Blu ray, as that sequence you can really appreciate the level of acting Pacino is displaying while waiting for his moment to act.

It's alright, I mean I'm not hating it, it's just not really my kind of film and it is VERY, VERY long and I was just ITCHING to start watching Stay! Stay is more my kinda film :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The Godfather' is such a rich, fantastic, engrossing film, and I can't see how anyone could find the film 'boring.' Then again, opinions vary.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Am I supposed to take this hoppmike guy seriously when he comes out with comments like The Godfather and boring like Darth has commented above?

It's bad enough we are supposed to accept his views on Bond when he's a newbie who hasn't seen all the films but now he's passing comment on a film largely regarded as a masterpiece when he hasn't watched the film all the way through.

Any film that contains the Sollozzo, Mclusky hit sequence is not boring and that's just one scene, I recommend though viewing it on Blu ray, as that sequence you can really appreciate the level of acting Pacino is displaying while waiting for his moment to act.

Totally agree. He says not a word but completely speaks by his eyes.
    Another piece of great acting, when
    don Vito sees Santino at Bonasera's, "Look how they've massacred my son
    Just finished Stay - thoroughly enjoyed it! Not perfect, but very good. Marc Forster is talented for sure! Gave it 8/10.

I'll finish watching the Godfather tomorrow. I didn't dislike it as such, it just wasn't quite my type of film. My sister said the same thing actually. I'd give it a 7 or 8/10 so far, but yeah I do find it hard to see what's SO good about it. To me it just kinda feels like a good, solid Mafia film...

But then again I haven't seen many Mafia films lol
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:

When I watched The Conversation and Apocalypse Now I wondered to myself afterwards "Godfather, who?" I would watch those first two any day before The Godfather as they tantalize me eons more. The sad thing about The Godfather is that it likely gets spoiled for you before you even see it, especially if you are a growing cinephile. You just tend to stumble on spoilers for the film on accident being that it is one of the cinematic kings in history while you are on your journey to gain more and more film knowledge. That is how it happened for me, and sadly the same for Citizen Kane. I remember being little (about age 8) and asking my uncle what this Citizen Kane thing was that he was talking about, and he simply said to me,
    "It is a story about a sled."
    Now, I never understood what he meant until I was a little older, and was sad that the biggest reveal of the film (and one of the most famous in cinematic history) was ruined for me forever. That's also probably why it took me so long to watch the film in full, being that I lacked the enthusiasm after I knew the big twist. I was lucky enough to catch the Coppola masterpieces of The Conversation and Apocalypse Now without any of that (the spoiling), though I had already read and studied Heart of Darkness previously, so I saw some of Apocalypse coming. But boy is it a brilliant adaption set during the Vietman war, with a heck of an insane journey from script to theaters, bringing Coppola to find some darkness in his own heart. Compared with the massive paranoia and startling creativity of The Conversation and the engrossing atmosphere, chilling portrayal of human savage potential, the real life struggle of filming it and compelling characterizations of Willard, Kurtz and the various characters that support them in their story in Apocalypse Now, The Godfather can't even come close to them for me. In addition, it is one of the most overrated films in history, if not an instant top five contender. It is a good film, sure, but not godly in any way, at least not in my eyes at this point in my life. Though I must say that
    it is quite a bitterly poetic thing that Michael after long becomes the thing he said he never would be.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 14,880
    Bought this on Blu ray yesterday...

bd-lawrenceofarabia.jpg

Though I didn't watch all of it, I have to say this is by far the greatest transfer onto blu ray I have seen. Never has 'Orrence looked so good. Absolutely stunning!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Citizen Kane' is an absolute masterpiece, but it has one of the biggest goofs in cinema history, when you look at the scope of things.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Citizen Kane' is an absolute masterpiece, but it has one of the biggest goofs in cinema history, when you look at the scope of things.

Which is?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    The Dark Knight Rises

Watched it on Blu Ray last night. Its a little overcooked at times but overall very enjoyable. The IMAX sequences (especially towards the end) looked incredible in HD too.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    DarthDimi wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:

When I watched The Conversation and Apocalypse Now I wondered to myself afterwards "Godfather, who?" I would watch those first two any day before The Godfather as they tantalize me eons more. The sad thing about The Godfather is that it likely gets spoiled for you before you even see it, especially if you are a growing cinephile. You just tend to stumble on spoilers for the film on accident being that it is one of the cinematic kings in history while you are on your journey to gain more and more film knowledge. That is how it happened for me, and sadly the same for Citizen Kane. I remember being little (about age 8) and asking my uncle what this Citizen Kane thing was that he was talking about, and he simply said to me,
    "It is a story about a sled."
    Now, I never understood what he meant until I was a little older, and was sad that the biggest reveal of the film (and one of the most famous in cinematic history) was ruined for me forever. That's also probably why it took me so long to watch the film in full, being that I lacked the enthusiasm after I knew the big twist. I was lucky enough to catch the Coppola masterpieces of The Conversation and Apocalypse Now without any of that (the spoiling), though I had already read and studied Heart of Darkness previously, so I saw some of Apocalypse coming. But boy is it a brilliant adaption set during the Vietman war, with a heck of an insane journey from script to theaters, bringing Coppola to find some darkness in his own heart. Compared with the massive paranoia and startling creativity of The Conversation and the engrossing atmosphere, chilling portrayal of human savage potential, the real life struggle of filming it and compelling characterizations of Willard, Kurtz and the various characters that support them in their story in Apocalypse Now, The Godfather can't even come close to them for me. In addition, it is one of the most overrated films in history, if not an instant top five contender. It is a good film, sure, but not godly in any way, at least not in my eyes at this point in my life. Though I must say that
    it is quite a bitterly poetic thing that Michael after long becomes the thing he said he never would be.

I'd agree that The Conversation is masterful, Hackman is mesmerising. My Wife and I watched my French Connection Blu ray (the more recent remaster with both Friedkin & Roizman involved). Hackman is on fire although his acting in The Conversation is more internalised and psychological than Popeye in Connection but nonetheless 2 of his finest.

As for Apocalypse Now it's visually stunning and yes the acting is great but I see nothing in it to level the acting in GF & GF2, Brando is great but for me Pacino steals both pictures and the supporting cast are superb, Cazale, Duvall etc. The Godfather's contains some of the most memorable and greatest moments in cinema, I find AN a little self indulgent don't get me wrong it's a masterpiece in many ways, sometimes the story behind it's making is more compelling Hearts of Darkness the making of full length documentary must be one of the best film making docs of all time.

I would say it's also up there with the most overrated but I think GF 2 and The Conversation are vying for Francis' finest in my personal view but each to his own. No they aren't the most realistic and offer a more romanticised version of organised crime but you wouldn't have the likes of Goodfella's & Once Upon A Time In America without them.
  • The Godfather is brilliant but I think I might prefer the second one. I'd take Apocolypse Now over both though.

Submarine. Wierd but funny.

Die Hard 5. Crap.

Desperado. Still great.
    The Godfather is brilliant but I think I might prefer the second one. I'd take Apocolypse Now over both though.

Submarine. Wierd but funny.

Die Hard 5. Crap.

Desperado. Still great.

The reviews were right then? Why is it so bad exactly?
    Just finished watching The Godfather :)

I liked it!

I mean yeah it's still not really my type of film but I enjoyed it overall - I can see why people regard it highly.

Good stuff, very entertaining :)
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    This afternoon I watched a great favourite of mine, 'One Crazy Summer' starring John Cusack and Demi Moore. With a title like that and the presence of Bobcat Goldthwait it should be one dumb movie - but it's actually very smart, funny and immensely likeable.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Have you watched The Godfather Part II? This one is more deep emotionally and dramatically than 1. Is not even a "gangster" movie, it is something more.
    0013 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Have you watched The Godfather Part II? This one is more deep emotionally and dramatically than 1. Is not even a "gangster" movie, it is something more.

It's been too long. I will revisit them soon enough, but have a lot of work to balance and other films I want to get to.
    This sounds terrible but I've never seen Godfather 3.
    Lost In Translation
    Dredd ( Again, because it's actually pretty good)
    Skyfall
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy