Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have the Bourne trilogy boxset which I enjoy, not even occurred to me to bother with the last two films as the story had already ended for me

I don't think you'd want to see the Renner led film, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Unless you wanted the world of Bourne to change into one of super serums and magic pills. Wish I was kidding.

I remember when it was released without Damon it seemed pointless, Legacy sounds like Universal Soldier lol
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I must admit that I look back on Legacy rather fondly. I appreciated the slower pace, the 'quieter' mood and the beautiful locations. JASON BOURNE is the one that let me down most.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Stratton (2017)
    W2InhnV.jpg
    Dominic Cooper apparently was under consideration for James Bond (according to him). If true, Craig’s return may have averted a major crisis. Based on a series of books by Douglas Falconer, this has got to be one of the most horrendous attempts at building a Bond/MI like franchise entry I’ve had the misfortune of witnessing in the last few years. It was excruciatingly painful to get through. By the numbers & lacking in tension or inventiveness, with forgettable uncharismatic performances. Quite frankly, it made Seagal’s made-for-home-video entries seem exciting in comparison. Most disgracefully, the film makers seemed to have drawn inspiration from SP (yes, you read this correctly), and also subject us to an empty streets nighttime chase in Rome (presumably this one cost less than £24m). If this wasn’t bad enough, they further shame themselves by plagiarizing TWINE (they really were going for the winners here) with a boat chase across the Thames and through the Docks. Based on the evidence of this misbegotten tripe, Cooper isn’t fit enough to play an extra in Mexico, let alone Bond. Do yourselves a favour and please don’t bother. I want my two hours back.

I saw that the day of its release, I was one of only two people in the room (not a good sign). I went in to the films with hopes of a Stratton film series, with emphasis on an adaption of Undersea Prison. As I left the screening, I knew that all hopes of a series, were dead in the water. Cooper did a fine job, considering that he was a last minute replacement for Henry Cavil, who bailed less than a week from filming. My one big gripe, was that it clearly needed a bigger budget. After that decent opening with that pipe system, all of the action scenes are far to brief. Once the boat chase got underway, I expected that to be the big sequence of the film, Stratton is SBS afterall, but even that quickly fizzled out.
    I'm not familiar with the books and had no idea Cavill was the original choice for this. Perhaps it could have worked better with him.

I thought it was a decent concept, but everything just seemed so pedestrian. Perhaps a larger budget could have helped as you noted, but I think that was only half the problem. The actors just couldn't bring it together and didn't seem to stand out (even the usually reliable Connie Nielsen was strangely dull, and her attempt at an accent was pretty bad). I found Noomi Rapace's Unlocked or even Brosnan's Survivor (both filmed partially in London) to be more entertaining, despite possibly similar budgets.

It's a shame because I'm all for action new sustainable spy franchises.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I must admit that I look back on Legacy rather fondly. I appreciated the slower pace, the 'quieter' mood and the beautiful locations. JASON BOURNE is the one that let me down most.
    LEGACY was fine for me, too.

But I wasn't interested enough in JASON BOURNE to see it. Not a Damon fan, I'm more a detractor.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    The Night Of The Hunter
    It was on TCM last night, and there wan't anything else on. Save for maybe Cape Fear, Mitchum was never more intimidating than as bible thumping preacher, Harry Powell. I haven't seen the tv movie remake, but I can't imagine how Richard Chamberlain could possibly come anywhere near to matching Mitchum in the role.
    @MajorDSmythe Had no idea there was a TV movie remake! I'm going to look into that.

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER is one of my favs. Shame Laughton never went on to do more. The scenes of the kids traveling down the river are some of the finest looking shots ever.

---

mother! (2017) / Aronofsky
    screen-shot-2017-08-03-at-5-03-12-pm.png?w=780
    I've been looking forward to this for some time. In fact it's been my most anticipated film of the year.

Annoyingly, having just come out of it, I've yet to make up my mind on it. This is all I've decided so far:

(1) It's definitely not Aronofsky's best.
    (2) It's definitely not a bad film.
    (3) It's definitely the most interesting (to say the least) Hollywood film I've seen this year.
    (4) Making something like this (in Hollywood) takes guts.
    (5) When it comes to depicting religion, mother! makes NOAH look like PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Beyond that I can't commit. I need to spend time with it, maybe even go back and see it again. The idea mingling in the back of my brain is that hanging allegory on surrealism doesn't quite work. But I shall have to ponder that a bit more. (The other thing: the film seems heavy-handed at times.)

In any case I heartily recommend everyone go and see it. Even if you feel likely to hate it (as did, it seemed, everyone else in my screening), it won't be a casual hate.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I want to see Mother! I like it when films screw with the viewer's mind. Antichrist was like that; not a film I love or even enjoy that much, but the experience of watching it was engrossing.

Also, Michelle Pfeiffer is having a good time career-wise, between this, Murder on the Orient Express, The Wizard of Lies and the Ant-Man sequel. Not necessarily great films, but high-profile projects. It's good to see her busy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I saw Stratton myself and didn't have any problem with it. I admit, I haven't read the books so I don't know much about the character as much as the book fans do. However, I think it was a very good film but mainly because I knew it wasn't going to be a groundbreaking blockbuster movie with lots of charisma and action movie magic with loads of appeal. It felt like a typical Neo-Eurospy movie but done better than many others in the franchise. And it's definitely by far a better movie than MI-5: The Greater Good will ever be, or Unlocked, among many others.

Then again, ever since seeing him in Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond, I developed some liking to Dominic Cooper and champion him in action roles. As previous assessments up there go, I don't think it was trying to be a competitor to Bond or Mission: Impossible in any way. I felt it was a modern spy-based under-budgeted yet greatly filmed action thriller with some amazing leads. Heck, I even was pleased to see Connie Nielsen as the head of MI-6, even though she certainly had a rather exaggerated BBC English accent (which I don't mind as far as she's a great actress).

I personally would like a sequel to this. Oh, and a highlight of it was a musical cue I heard ever since the film opened and thought it was very familiar. Since Nathaniel Mechaly was the composer, he re-used his 'closing credits' theme from the second season of Transporter: The Series and turned it into a theme tune for Stratton.

I liked the film. For an under-budgeted production, as far as I'm concerned they did great job. I'll certainly be getting this on BluRay whenever it comes out.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Rogue, an Australian horror about a group of tourists, stalked by a large
    Killer Crocodile. Not bad and the CGI wasn't bad for an obviously small
    Budget movie.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I really like Legacy as well and I thought that it would've been a great way to wrap up the Bourne movies. The pills that enhanced Renner's character was well handled and not far fetched at all. I bought into it. Legacy is in my top three of the Bourne movies.
    Jason Bourne was the biggest let down of those movies for me. It was just dull all over the place and half way through the movie I was more than ready for it to end.

Anyway, the last two movies I saw were in the theater.

IT
    17635272_1388581737828780_8411948519200049512_o-700x350.png

I'm very picky with horror movies, as I think the vast majority of them are not scary, dull, have characters you could care less about, and rely too much on jump scares. Not to mention most of them seem like they were made more for middle school kids.
    IT on the other hand was very well made. The child actors did an amazing job, Pennywise was creepy as hell, and the movie didn't rely on jump scares or gore to get its point across. I'm very much looking forward to chapter two. When that releases I'll buy the IT chapter one & two blu-ray that will no doubt be released. IT is easily in my top spot for scary movie of 2017.

The same day I went to see...

American Assassin
    aacp_01.jpg

A decent movie but I overall felt underwhelmed by it. The action sequences were well done but I felt like they could've given us more. Keaton was great in it but towards the end he did have a couple of moments that weren't so great. Dylan O'Brien was surprisingly good in it. I was turned off when I saw him in the trailers, because of his boyish looks, but he was believable in the role. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel(s) to see where they could take the characters.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @QsAssistant I'll be doing the same double bill this coming week, so I really enjoyed reading your reviews! Those will be my last 2 films before Blade Runner 2049 and Kingsman: The Golden Circle in early October.
    American Assassin (2017)
    DxGC0s7.jpg

I was really looking forward to this Michael Cuesta directed thriller. While a little run of the mill and predictable, it generally lived up to expectations. Fresh faced Dylan O'Brien stars as Mitch Rapp,who's angry, revenge seeking and maladjusted due to terrible personal loss. Perfect recruitment material for the CIA & their counter-terrorism activity. Deputy Director Irene Kennedy (Sanaa Lathan) brings him in and assigns him to trainer and veteran Stan Hurley (Michael Keaton in a particularly gritty performance) to get him in shape. It's in the training sequences where the film resonates imho. Keaton brings his trademark intensity to the part, and it's always fascinating to watch him do his thing. The film rapidly proceeds through various international locations, including London, Rome and Istanbul and culminates in the team working around the clock to avert a massive nuclear terrorist attack perpetrated by a mysterious villain.

The action sequences are decent enough (although I'm increasingly tired of the close quarters quick edit style which this film employs), even if a little 'Bourne'. O'Brien lacks charisma, but Keaton and Lathan more than make up for it. I have to credit the film makers for filming outside the usual 'tourist spots' in the big cities they visited. It adds grit and realism to the proceedings. I wish they'd left some of the politics out of it, but that's a minor criticism.

Worth a watch for the action fans. David Suchet and Taylor Kitsch also star, as does Scott Adkins (complete block of wood imho).
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    @QsAssistant I'll be doing the same double bill this coming week, so I really enjoyed reading your reviews! Those will be my last 2 films before Blade Runner 2049 and Kingsman: The Golden Circle in early October.

Let me know what you think after you see them. Keep your expectations low for American Assassin and you might enjoy it more than I did.
    Kingsmen 2: The Golden Circle will be my last movie until next month. October has many coming out that I plan on seeing. Like Blade Runner 2049, The Mountain Between Us, The Foreigner, The Snowman, and Geostorm.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have the Bourne trilogy boxset which I enjoy, not even occurred to me to bother with the last two films as the story had already ended for me

I don't think you'd want to see the Renner led film, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Unless you wanted the world of Bourne to change into one of super serums and magic pills. Wish I was kidding.

Can't forget the incredibly dull and underwhelming finale. A random antagonist appearing in the last act of the movie, with zero dialogue, and gets wiped out via laughable CGI. What a waste.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Let me know what you think after you see them. Keep your expectations low for American Assassin and you might enjoy it more than I did.
    Kingsmen 2: The Golden Circle will be my last movie until next month. October has many coming out that I plan on seeing. Like Blade Runner 2049, The Mountain Between Us, The Foreigner, The Snowman, and Geostorm.

Sadly for me, Geostorm, The Foreigner and The Snowman are November releases in my country. I'll make due with Thor: Ragnarok in the last week of October.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I saw Stratton myself and didn't have any problem with it. I admit, I haven't read the books so I don't know much about the character as much as the book fans do. However, I think it was a very good film but mainly because I knew it wasn't going to be a groundbreaking blockbuster movie with lots of charisma and action movie magic with loads of appeal. It felt like a typical Neo-Eurospy movie but done better than many others in the franchise. And it's definitely by far a better movie than MI-5: The Greater Good will ever be, or Unlocked, among many others.

Then again, ever since seeing him in Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond, I developed some liking to Dominic Cooper and champion him in action roles. As previous assessments up there go, I don't think it was trying to be a competitor to Bond or Mission: Impossible in any way. I felt it was a modern spy-based under-budgeted yet greatly filmed action thriller with some amazing leads. Heck, I even was pleased to see Connie Nielsen as the head of MI-6, even though she certainly had a rather exaggerated BBC English accent (which I don't mind as far as she's a great actress).

I personally would like a sequel to this. Oh, and a highlight of it was a musical cue I heard ever since the film opened and thought it was very familiar. Since Nathaniel Mechaly was the composer, he re-used his 'closing credits' theme from the second season of Transporter: The Series and turned it into a theme tune for Stratton.

I liked the film. For an under-budgeted production, as far as I'm concerned they did great job. I'll certainly be getting this on BluRay whenever it comes out.

Given that it is an action thriller, I could overlook all the other problems the film has. If they made another one, very unlikely given the reviews, it would need a bigger budget. next time I read the books, I will probably see Cooper as Stratton.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    American Assassin (2017)
    DxGC0s7.jpg

I was really looking forward to this Michael Cuesta directed thriller. While a little run of the mill and predictable, it generally lived up to expectations. Fresh faced Dylan O'Brien stars as Mitch Rapp,who's angry, revenge seeking and maladjusted due to terrible personal loss. Perfect recruitment material for the CIA & their counter-terrorism activity. Deputy Director Irene Kennedy (Sanaa Lathan) brings him in and assigns him to trainer and veteran Stan Hurley (Michael Keaton in a particularly gritty performance) to get him in shape. It's in the training sequences where the film resonates imho. Keaton brings his trademark intensity to the part, and it's always fascinating to watch him do his thing. The film rapidly proceeds through various international locations, including London, Rome and Istanbul and culminates in the team working around the clock to avert a massive nuclear terrorist attack perpetrated by a mysterious villain.

The action sequences are decent enough (although I'm increasingly tired of the close quarters quick edit style which this film employs), even if a little 'Bourne'. O'Brien lacks charisma, but Keaton and Lathan more than make up for it. I have to credit the film makers for filming outside the usual 'tourist spots' in the big cities they visited. It adds grit and realism to the proceedings. I wish they'd left some of the politics out of it, but that's a minor criticism.

Worth a watch for the action fans. David Suchet and Taylor Kitsch also star, as does Scott Adkins (complete block of wood imho).

The Keatonaissance continues... I basically went to see Spiderman for him. I didn't have too much faith on this; good to see it's not bad.

I saw Scott Adkins in Boyka 4. I think he's got something...
  • I'm tempted to see Stratton. Haven't read the books but I like that genre (love Chris Ryan, Andy Mcnab books) and Simon West can usually be counted on for a fun action film. Wish it'd done better because if it had, maybe we'd be a step closer to getting a Nick Stone film.

Anyway, went to see IT and enjoyed it a lot. Not sure it lived up to the hype completely but it was really well done. Lot of heart behind it which made the scenes in between the scary bits very enjoyable. And Skasgard was incredible
    That dancing scene really creeped me out.
    I agree @thelivingroyale. I think that there are many ways they can take Bourne, as long as Damon is up for it. Unfortunately, he's put on some weight these days and I'm sure it's not easy for him to get back into the shape he needs to be. There are lots of options to explore with the character imho, given he inhabits a far more realistic universe in comparison to other spy heroes.

Yeah I agree. I could watch Damon doing the badass spy stuff in loads of these films. They're tight little thrillers, short but sweet, endlessly enjoyable. A line of dialogue from the last one that stuck out to me was when he was saying he was trying to find another way. But come the end of the film he still ends up resolving things by brutally killing the bad guy. To me that sets up an interesting idea: he doesn't have to be a reluctant hero anymore. Now he's come to terms with being a killer he can use those skills to help causes he believes in.

I've enjoyed all the Bourne movies so far. The first three are some of the best spy and action movies ever made. Legacy I thought was quite good. Jason Bourne might have been the weakest of the lot but I still enjoyed it. Just seeing Damon back was great, it's something I never thought I'd see. Probably the closest I'll ever get to experiencing a Sean Connery as Bond return in my lifetime.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've enjoyed all the Bourne movies so far. The first three are some of the best spy and action movies ever made. Legacy I thought was quite good. Jason Bourne might have been the weakest of the lot but I still enjoyed it.
    We see it exactly the same way. I enjoyed Legacy, although Renner is no Damon (far from it).

I thought Jason Bourne could have been so much better and it was unfortunate that they chose to retread, but I still liked it. They had such goodwill built up with Damon that they really should have challenged themselves with a new trilogy taking it in a new direction.
    Just seeing Damon back was great, it's something I never thought I'd see. Probably the closest I'll ever get to experiencing a Sean Connery as Bond return in my lifetime.
    I absolutely agree. Very much the same for me. Seeing Damon back in his signature role after all those years was truly special.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I just watched mother!
    Oh my god that was incredible. Every man woman and child needs to see this movie right now. It is the best film I have seen in a long time.

Im seeing I.T. later today as well
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I just watched mother!
    Oh my god that was incredible. Every man woman and child needs to see this movie right now. It is the best film I have seen in a long time.

Watched a few non spoiler reviews today really want to see Mother! I am a fan of Aronofsky I have many of his films
    I just watched mother!

Even if I still haven't fully made up my mind about mother!, I'm really glad you enjoyed it @JamesBondKenya. Something as atypically commercial as this could use support to encourage Hollywood to take more risks.

Did you get any sense of how it was received by everyone else in your screening? Any walkouts?
  • I doubt that I'll see mother! in theaters, but I'm looking forward to it at some point. Fortunately I've managed to avoid everything related to the film so far—even trailers—so I'll go in completely blind.
    I'll try to catch it tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Bardem and JLaw always deliver for me.
    Strog wrote: »
    I just watched mother!

Even if I still haven't fully made up my mind about mother!, I'm really glad you enjoyed it @JamesBondKenya. Something as atypically commercial as this could use support to encourage Hollywood to take more risks.

Did you get any sense of how it was received by everyone else in your screening? Any walkouts?

My sister hated it. My mom thought it was okay. I dont think anyone walked out but I think this is a film for more analytical people because it isnt so cut and dry. I can see most of the audience not liking it, but it was totally my type of movie.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Alien 1979

For obvious reasons, one of my favourites but added poignancy due to our very recent loss of Harry Dean Stanton.

Every component of this film is top drawer, just a masterpiece and easily the best of the franchise.

Can Ridley please stop trying to give us background on this film, I don't care, Prometheus was a big let down and I caught the honest trailer for Covenant so now I don't need to watch it.

It's like a friend of mind said it's like Leonardo DaVinci urinating over the Mona Lisa or words to that affect,
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Jason Bourne (2016)
    JrFWQkn.jpg

Recent discussion of the series compelled me to revisit last year's return of Damon in the role he was born to play. It was my first watch since the theatre and I enjoyed it far more this time around, knowing what to expect. It works better on the small screen, I feel. While this film isn't up to the level of the first three classics (not much since has been), it's nothing to be ashamed of imho. Certainly a few cuts above some of the 3rd rate fare I've had the misfortune of seeing recently (such as Stratton, Unlocked etc.) and also quite a bit better that some of the 2nd rate ones that borrow from its seminal template too (American Assassin).

They should have taken a new direction with this film rather than retread the old 'who am I?' and 'what's my past?' shtick. It's hinted at ('bringing Bourne in from the cold') but never goes anywhere. What elevates it is Greengrass's excellent tight direction (the Greece riots sequence is a masterclass in tension filled film making), Damon's tortured performance (he hasn't lost a beat) and Alicia Vikander's super smart Cyber Ops specialist Heather Lee. These three alone could make another film quite interesting. What lets it down is the plot, which feels slightly deja vu. The surveillance sub-plot is a bit cliched too. Finally, they shouldn't have had the finale in Vegas in my view. Bourne works best in the confines of old Europe. Sin City is beneath it.

Still, this is a classy thriller and far better than some of the junk Hollywood puts out these days. I hope they make one more to wrap up Damon's story, but only if they have a killer story for it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just watched mother!

Happy to hear you enjoyed it. I'm hoping to see it early this upcoming week.
    Just saw IT, wasnt as scary as I hoped but it was super entertaining.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    IT phone home.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    IT phone home.

The director's cut of E.T. where E.T. flees Elliott and lives under the town's sewers to lure kids in and kill them is a surprise masterpiece. Maybe my favorite Spielberg film, next to the director's cut of Saving Private Ryan that was renamed Saving Ryan's Privates for how over half of the film focuses on the subplot of the other soldiers trying to stop the bleeding of Private Ryan when he takes a bullet you-know-where. As far as emotion goes, it's right up there with, "Here's looking at you, kid."

Theatrical cuts take out all the good stuff and hamper the vision of the creator. I'm still waiting for the true director's cut of Blade Runner Ridley Scott always wanted to do, where Deckard and Roy literally run over blades in an diabolical Tyrell obstacle course for the finale to prove who is more durable and evolutionarily relevant, the human or the replicant. Who wouldn't want to see that?