Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Four: Shaun, Fuzz, End, Paul.

Oh yeah! Lol! Still "Paul" for me though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have the Cornetto trilogy boxset Hot Fuzz is my favourite though all great films, World's End reminds me of the bad old days lol
    It Follows (2014). Man I really like this one; a terrific modern horror classic that does not rely on gore or cheap scares. Just dread and suspense.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Stratton (2017)
    W2InhnV.jpg
    Dominic Cooper apparently was under consideration for James Bond (according to him). If true, Craig’s return may have averted a major crisis. Based on a series of books by Douglas Falconer, this has got to be one of the most horrendous attempts at building a Bond/MI like franchise entry I’ve had the misfortune of witnessing in the last few years. It was excruciatingly painful to get through. By the numbers & lacking in tension or inventiveness, with forgettable uncharismatic performances. Quite frankly, it made Seagal’s made-for-home-video entries seem exciting in comparison. Most disgracefully, the film makers seemed to have drawn inspiration from SP (yes, you read this correctly), and also subject us to an empty streets nighttime chase in Rome (presumably this one cost less than £24m). If this wasn’t bad enough, they further shame themselves by plagiarizing TWINE (they really were going for the winners here) with a boat chase across the Thames and through the Docks. Based on the evidence of this misbegotten tripe, Cooper isn’t fit enough to play an extra in Mexico, let alone Bond. Do yourselves a favour and please don’t bother. I want my two hours back.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited September 2017 Posts: 45,489
    EL GRINGO (2012)
    AMFM_DSC9061-ElGringo.jpg
    A waste of time. A failed attempt at trying to emulate Robert Rodriguez or Quentin Tarantino. Infantile dialogue, mindless action, clicheed macho b.s., boring story. If you like that kind of thing, highly recommended.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) dir Stanley Kubrick. DVD. my (14-year-old) son, (who when putting back one of my classic Dr Who DVDs the other day when he was over, noticed I had this film), asked to see it because of HAL 9000 (HAL 9000 appears in LEGO Dimensions which he has been playing a lot of recently). I really enjoyed it this time, and I asked what he thought of it…and he replied that he wasn't just sure what he had watched! Ha ha. He did enjoy the music though.
    2001 has a fantastic soundtrack.
    2001 has a fantastic soundtrack.

True. Apart from the choral piece that accompanies the monolith I like it all. Can't listen to the Blue Danube without seeing that space station spinning in space!
    I love that piece by Wagner.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There's no Wagner in 2001.
    Sorry, meant Richard Strauss.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    No problem I thought it was Richard Chamberlain.
    Easy to mix up the Richards.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Hmm, I thought Denise Richards had composed the music for 2001.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Hey.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »

It was actually Richard Gere, but close. Easy to mix up.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I just got on to make this joke... Great, now I have to use Rich Little.
    Do you mean Little Richard?
    Didn't he do the music for Amadeus or was that little mix ?
    Little Micks? - group of Irish Leprechaun's!

You might be getting confused with this famous duo...Mulligan & O'Hare.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Stratton (2017)
    W2InhnV.jpg
    Dominic Cooper apparently was under consideration for James Bond (according to him). If true, Craig’s return may have averted a major crisis. Based on a series of books by Douglas Falconer, this has got to be one of the most horrendous attempts at building a Bond/MI like franchise entry I’ve had the misfortune of witnessing in the last few years. It was excruciatingly painful to get through. By the numbers & lacking in tension or inventiveness, with forgettable uncharismatic performances. Quite frankly, it made Seagal’s made-for-home-video entries seem exciting in comparison. Most disgracefully, the film makers seemed to have drawn inspiration from SP (yes, you read this correctly), and also subject us to an empty streets nighttime chase in Rome (presumably this one cost less than £24m). If this wasn’t bad enough, they further shame themselves by plagiarizing TWINE (they really were going for the winners here) with a boat chase across the Thames and through the Docks. Based on the evidence of this misbegotten tripe, Cooper isn’t fit enough to play an extra in Mexico, let alone Bond. Do yourselves a favour and please don’t bother. I want my two hours back.

I saw that the day of its release, I was one of only two people in the room (not a good sign). I went in to the films with hopes of a Stratton film series, with emphasis on an adaption of Undersea Prison. As I left the screening, I knew that all hopes of a series, were dead in the water. Cooper did a fine job, considering that he was a last minute replacement for Henry Cavil, who bailed less than a week from filming. My one big gripe, was that it clearly needed a bigger budget. After that decent opening with that pipe system, all of the action scenes are far to brief. Once the boat chase got underway, I expected that to be the big sequence of the film, Stratton is SBS afterall, but even that quickly fizzled out.
  • Just watched the last Bourne film again for the first time since the cinema. My thoughts haven't changed really. Pretty good, just very samey.

I've seen a lot of people say that they should just let it end and that they're beating a dead horse but I disagree. Bourne could go on for longer. He's a really cool character. The problem is they keep putting him in the same situations. He's always fighting the CIA, there's always at least one assassin who's just as well trained as he is, he usually finds himself running around european cities, etc. This one was a step in the right direction: the Vegas setting and the social media surveillance storyline were both very different. But they could still do more. At the start of the film Bourne's a drifter. Why does he need to be bought back to face off against the CIA again? Why can't he be in some foreign location keeping his head down but gets sucked into a new adventure with a new threat to take on? Greengrass and Damon seem to only want to make these films when they have something to say but there's all sorts going on in the world that they could use as the jumping off point for a new story, now he knows who he is and what he's capable of it doesn't always have to involve the US government.

Decent film. Great seeing Damon back and Tommy Lee Jones was pretty good too. I'd like them to make more. But Bourne needs some new bad guys to fight.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

They are indeed easy to mix up. And while Gere was originally contracted to score 2001, he famously told his gerbil friend: "I have to score this film or somebody's going to have my —!"

We all know how that turned out...
    I agree @thelivingroyale. I think that there are many ways they can take Bourne, as long as Damon is up for it. Unfortunately, he's put on some weight these days and I'm sure it's not easy for him to get back into the shape he needs to be. There are lots of options to explore with the character imho, given he inhabits a far more realistic universe in comparison to other spy heroes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bourne is inherently a limited character, and Ludlum knew this for how he kept the character to three novels. It was only his inferior successors that really couldn't let the character die, and that goes for the films too, which we now have such ample and unnecessary amounts of.

You can only see a man going up against the same government with the same formula so many times, in many ways the problem the Bond films have had in the past. It's easy to say "Do something new with him" but that also has to fit his character. The only thing you can do with him is have him drifting to different locations where he randomly helps people with their problems but I don't think that fits his character that well and those stories would be rather small scale and ill fitted to a big feature film.

The only interesting thing they could do is go back to the Ludlum books and retool the Jackal villain of the original stories to a modern take on the character where Bourne chases after or faces off with this trained killer to give him a new angle. That still doesn't change the limited and rather boring nature of his character, however, in comparison to what else is in the market. And we know that the studio would just repeat the same thing like all the other films too; there's only so many ways to make those movies at one point.
    I'd be quite happy with any number of ways they want to approach it, because I'm invested in the character of Bourne as played by Damon.

No Damon, no Bourne as far as I'm concerned. Same goes for MI without Cruise (although I'm sure they'll reboot that at some point in the future).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have the Bourne trilogy boxset which I enjoy, not even occurred to me to bother with the last two films as the story had already ended for me
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have the Bourne trilogy boxset which I enjoy, not even occurred to me to bother with the last two films as the story had already ended for me

I don't think you'd want to see the Renner led film, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. Unless you wanted the world of Bourne to change into one of super serums and magic pills. Wish I was kidding.
    I wish I enjoyed the Bourne films.