Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    81EI8t2eYyL._SX342_.jpg

Now, those are all massive exaggerations. It is so-so, but does have its moments.

Wasn't as hilarious as I had hoped from the trailers, but I quite enjoyed it. I want to say it was Bateman's directorial debut.
    Bullitt.
    Though i have it on bluray, it was on tv tonight so i couldnt resist.
    Great thriller. McQueen is so cool in it and the car chase is still thrilling ( even though when i watch it now i am watching out for the green volkswagen!!) Cool score from the legendary Lalo Schifrin!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Bullitt.
    Great thriller. McQueen is so cool in it and the car chase is still thrilling ( even though when i watch it now i am watching out for the green volkswagen!!) Cool score from the legendary Lalo Schifrin!
    I agree. Excellent film and McQueen is indeed the definition of 'cool' in it. That car chase (score, engine growls, San Fran scenery) is a work of art.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Bullitt.
    I agree. Excellent film and McQueen is indeed the definition of 'cool' in it. That car chase (score, engine growls, San Fran scenery) is a work of art.
    Thirded.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    Several good films the past few days:

LIFEBOAT (1944) / Hitchcock
    lifeboat2.jpg
    What in lesser hands would've amounted to a filmed stage play becomes in Hitch's hands a piece of real cinema. Is this one under-rated in the Hitch oeuvre? I'd definitely put it in the top tier of his 40s output, at least, along with SHADOW OF A DOUBT and NOTORIOUS. (Also: especially enjoyed Hitch's cameo in this one.)

DAVID LYNCH: THE ART LIFE (2016) / Jon Nguyen
    david-lynch.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1
    @Thunderfinger posted the trailer for this one in the upcoming films thread a week or so ago, and I looked into it, and saw it was available via Amazon Prime. Not exactly what I was hoping for (it only covers his life up to the production of Eraserhead) but I'll be the first to admit I don't always know what I want; luckily I often don't get it. Here, that's all to the better, since an early biography of Lynch seems less interesting than one of his film career. But Lynch's early life story turns out to be definitely captivating. I enjoyed seeing the art he's done outside film and hearing him talk about how he became an artist. You really get a sense of the man. If you're a fan of his work, this comes recommended.

BRAZIL (1985) / Terry Gilliam
    b-tg-03.jpg
    The final cut version, of course. I've almost certainly seen this before, but (as seems to be the case with several other Gilliams I've seen in the distant past) I didn't remember much about it. In any case, I adored it. The satire was the best part of the whole project...
    (I especially love the unstated implication that all the explosions were instead of terrorist bombs the infrastructure's malfunctioning due to bureaucratic inefficiency, and the kicker: that De Niro's 'superhero vigilante' figure is a rogue repairman trying to essentially fix these machines before they blow up)
    ...followed close behind by Gilliam's epic visual realization of his imagination. Doubt we'll ever see anything on this massive a scale from him again, which is a shame.
    Tango & Cash (1989)

Average film
    hqdefault.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed. It was an average film at best.

Kurt Russell dressed in drag? Seriously? :))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It's been years since I've seen it but I enjoyed it well enough. Completely forgot about Kurt Russell in drag.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)

Decent enough drama, but nothing special really. I didn t know Chris Pine had it in him to do something serious, though. The whole cast is pretty good. Jeff Bridges is of course superb, as always.
    taylorsheridan2.jpg?w=640
    Here he is with the scriptwriter.
    HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)

Decent enough drama, but nothing special really. I didn t know Chris Pine had it in him to do something serious, though. The whole cast is pretty good. Jeff Bridges is of course superb, as always.
    taylorsheridan2.jpg?w=640
    Here he is with the scriptwriter.
    I agree. It was decent enough but I wasn't quite as impressed as I expected to be given the high praise I've seen it receive on here.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,456
    Just got back from IT, and DAMN was that good. I've scarcely seen a horror performance as Oscar worthy as Skarsgard's was - he chews the scenery and delivers the terror and chills tenfold, with the tiniest idiosyncrasies to further add to the horror - the way he moves his eyes, the way he drools at times, or just how unhuman he makes his appearance, it was all spendidly done.

Felt a lot more faithful to the novel than the original miniseries, with ramped up scares, dread, and a level of gore at times I didn't expect, even with the R-rating.

I found it surprisingly funny, too - the dialogue was spot on for the kid actors, who were not only impressive (something I scarcely say about younger actors) but seemed to have great chemistry.

I'm fairly unphased by jump scares anymore, either, but there was one that the trailers didn't spoil that realllly got me good, I'll admit.

The one complaint I'd say I found was a bit too much CG blending into the gore/scares, which went a little overboard at times. I found the film at its most effective when it was Skarsgard with a kid, one on one, delivering some chilling dialogue.

If you're a fan of horror movies, or at least King's incredible novel, then I can't recommend this one enough. Saw it for a few bucks extra for a bigger screen, enhanced speakers, etc., and I don't regret that choice for a moment. My palms are still sweaty.
    Awesome @Creasy47! Glad you also loved it! Immediately became one of my favorite horror films ever!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,456
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Awesome @Creasy47! Glad you also loved it! Immediately became one of my favorite horror films ever!

Same! It was damn good, refreshing to see such a great horror movie in a sea of countless forgettable ones.
    Just got to see Get Out (2017). While I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as It (2017), it's still a really good horror film that came out earlier this year! These honestly rank as two of the best horror films I have seen in recent memory.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Just got to see Get Out (2017). While I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as It (2017), it's still a really good horror film that came out earlier this year! These honestly rank as two of the best horror films I have seen in recent memory.
    I hope to see IT today. I agree on GET OUT. Very good film which serves as an allegory for some of the tensions stateside.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nice to see horror films that are getting big buzz, in light of all that gets shuffled out to forgettable releases.

I was really staggered to see IT's box office in particular, which is absolutely smashing. Good for those folks.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    51259.jpg

American Made (2017)

This was one of my most anticipated movies in 2017... and it did not disappoint in the slightest. Tom Cruise gives one of his best performances, he just lights up the screen with his sheer charisma and magnetic screen presence. This movie got very close to the level of Lord of War (which I thought last year's War Dogs was nowhere near that level). The movie's 2 hours run-time just flies at the same rocket speed as Tom Cruise when he runs. There is so much energy in this film - from Tom Cruise's performance, to Doug Liman's directing, to the editing, to the story, to the dialogue, to the killer soundtrack. This is a definite top 5 of 2017 for me, and one of my instant favorites from Tom Cruise (alongside Valkyrie, The Last Samurai and Collateral).

Tomorrow afternoon, I'll be going to Mother!, the film with Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem and Ed Harris.
    Excellent news @DaltonCraig007. You're the 2nd person who's given American Made a thumbs up. I'm sure I'll be among the proponents once I finally get a chance to see the man in action on Sept 29th!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If anything, it will be refreshing to see Tom playing a character that has some morality that isn't squeaky clean or roguishly lovable.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,271
    Memento Great movie has not diminished with time.
    John Wick 2 had this film for months finally watched it, Keanu is a bad ass total respect to him for the training he puts in really enjoyed the film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Voices
    I get it, it's a dark comedy, but where was the comedy? Still, with our Gemma and Anna Kendrick in the film, I can't bring myself to dislike the film completely.

The Night Of The Hunter
    It was on TCM last night, and there wan't anything else on. Save for maybe Cape Fear, Mitchum was never more intimidating than as bible thumping preacher, Harry Powell. I haven't seen the tv movie remake, but I can't imagine how Richard Chamberlain could possibly come anywhere near to matching Mitchum in the role.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Voices
    I get it, it's a dark comedy, but where was the comedy? Still, with our Gemma and Anna Kendrick in the film, I can't bring myself to dislike the film completely.

The Night Of The Hunter
    It was on TCM last night, and there wan't anything else on. Save for maybe Cape Fear, Mitchum was never more intimidating than as bible thumping preacher, Harry Powell. I haven't seen the tv movie remake, but I can't imagine how Richard Chamberlain could possibly come anywhere near to matching Mitchum in the role.

Night of the Hunter is superb directional debut by Charles Laughton if only he had directed further movies, heavily influenced by German expressionism Night of the Hunter is a masterpiece
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,043
    David Gilmour Live At Pompeii

Utterly fantastic, Floyd are my favourite band and I didn't get to see DG's tour so seeing this on the big screen was such a treat.
    Unfortunately Night of the Hunter was a critical and commercial flop which so disillusioned Laughton he never directed again. An absolute shame as the film is a masterpiece!
    WALKABOUT.
    Nic Roegs debut is a wonderful mesmerising film with the gorgeous Jenny Agutter as a girl along with her brother abandoned by their father in the Australian outback, after he kills himself. They encounter an aborigine on his journey into manhood on Walkabout.
    A stunning debut, with a great score from the legend that is John Barry!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,271
    Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition, I love this film I think what is problematic is the three realms of perception within this film. The realms of reality, fantasy and symbolism change frequently which can be jarring to a viewer.

In years to come I think this film will be viewed differently, many aspects of this film are amazing.

There are scenes in BvS that are better than anything you will see in any other superhero films

The reason why Superman is flawed in BvS is because in this iteration he is human
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Good Time (2017)

I was planning on seeing Mother!, but when I approached the lovely young woman (she's the same age as me) who's there in one of the booths selling tickets every time I go see a film, she told me that based on the films I tend to come see on the big screen, I'd enjoy Good Time a lot more. I'm glad to say she wasn't wrong in the slightest. This film was 90 minutes of intense, non-stop, gut wrenching adrenaline-rush, with several moments of extreme brutality. Robert Pattinson delivers a mesmerizing performance that towers over the rest of his filmography (it's kind of going from the 'The Wicker Man' remake to 'Lord of War' when using Nicolas Cage as a comparison). This film iust knocked my jaw on the floor. The directing, editing, cinematography, soundtrack and performances were all flawless. I had never heard of the directors before (the Salfdie brothers), but they are definitely on my watch-list now in the future. This is, for me, a new classic of the crime genre, very similar in style to Collateral (as in, the entire film takes place during night). Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys crime films - @bondjames, @Creasy47, @DarthDimi, @doubleoego, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    98_DVD_BOX_348x490_original.jpg
    Damn fine film, that one. Easily one of (if not the) my favorites of Antonioni's.
    "The Worlds End"

Pegg and Frost at it again for a final time. Boy did this make me laugh. Out of the three films they did together? "Paul" remains my firm favourite.
  • Four: Shaun, Fuzz, End, Paul.