Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondjames wrote: »
    I didn't dislike the film, and I think it's worth a watch for the acting alone. However, I won't revisit it and have no desire to purchase it either. The pacing is a bit too slow for me and the entire premise isn't all that interesting quite frankly. There's no real burning impetus or consequence to anything. It just 'is'.

I will rewatch it because I feel the trailers were misleading in what I was expecting. Now that I know its slow I will rewatch it with that in mind and see if I actually like it. For example, one fo my favorite films, Silence, I hated when i first saw it because it was slow and underwhelmimg, however I revsited it and loved it becuase I knew how slow it was and didnt expect it to pick up and I was able to love the more subtle film making behind the masterpiece. So ill give LL a second chance.
    Did you not like it first time out @JamesBondKenya ? If not then I understand and yes, it's perhaps worth a rewatch. It wasn't a surprise to me. I had no expectations going in and I found it reasonably enjoyable, but just not anything I necessarily want to make a point of watching again. If it's on tv one day I definitely won't change the channel though.

No I didnt hate it but it just never picked up. I loved Craigs performance- he proved that he can be an actor outisde of bond- but everything else was just meh and bland and nothing exciting happend. It was just slow. Much slower then the trailer implied, and thats the worst thing, having a trailer thats better than the film itself. And the critics gave it a 93 so I was going in already deciding I was gonna buy the blu ray and I was just massively disapointed. While you went in after reading how we hated it, you would have had lower expectations. Ill give you an example. I didnt see BVS in cinema because people hated it. But when I watched it I was pleasently suprised. Why? Because my expectations were in the shits and it was better than shit. It wasnt great but it was a 5.5/10 - it was fine- not "THE WORST MOVIE EVER" but only because I knew it was shit going in. If i had lined up outide the cinema for BVS Opening day I would have hated it because I had high expectations and would have been disaponted, but i didnt, i went in knowing it was bad. Back to LL. I know its slow, so now when I go in with that in mind, my opinion may change. It may not too but thats why I will probably rewatch it.
    Enders Game.

If I had gone and paid money to see this at the cinema? I would be very annoyed. Ford was impressive as the devious and unscrupulous officer. But the twist at the end of the film frustrated me more than anything else.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I didn't dislike the film, and I think it's worth a watch for the acting alone. However, I won't revisit it and have no desire to purchase it either. The pacing is a bit too slow for me and the entire premise isn't all that interesting quite frankly. There's no real burning impetus or consequence to anything. It just 'is'.

I will rewatch it because I feel the trailers were misleading in what I was expecting. Now that I know its slow I will rewatch it with that in mind and see if I actually like it. For example, one fo my favorite films, Silence, I hated when i first saw it because it was slow and underwhelmimg, however I revsited it and loved it becuase I knew how slow it was and didnt expect it to pick up and I was able to love the more subtle film making behind the masterpiece. So ill give LL a second chance.
    Did you not like it first time out @JamesBondKenya ? If not then I understand and yes, it's perhaps worth a rewatch. It wasn't a surprise to me. I had no expectations going in and I found it reasonably enjoyable, but just not anything I necessarily want to make a point of watching again. If it's on tv one day I definitely won't change the channel though.

No I didnt hate it but it just never picked up. I loved Craigs performance- he proved that he can be an actor outisde of bond- but everything else was just meh and bland and nothing exciting happend. It was just slow. Much slower then the trailer implied, and thats the worst thing, having a trailer thats better than the film itself. And the critics gave it a 93 so I was going in already deciding I was gonna buy the blu ray and I was just massively disapointed. While you went in after reading how we hated it, you would have had lower expectations. Ill give you an example. I didnt see BVS in cinema because people hated it. But when I watched it I was pleasently suprised. Why? Because my expectations were in the shits and it was better than shit. It wasnt great but it was a 5.5/10 - it was fine- not "THE WORST MOVIE EVER" but only because I knew it was shit going in. If i had lined up outide the cinema for BVS Opening day I would have hated it because I had high expectations and would have been disaponted, but i didnt, i went in knowing it was bad. Back to LL. I know its slow, so now when I go in with that in mind, my opinion may change. It may not too but thats why I will probably rewatch it.
    Yes, I completely understand and agree. Expectations are everything and it's critical that a trailer not give away the best bits (which LL's trailer arguably did, as the most notable performance was that of Craig).

It's especially impressive when a film for which one has high expectations exceeds or matches them. That is normally what happens with a Nolan film for me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Poirot: The Third Girl I have watched every episode and film well I thought I had, The Third Girl is one that I missed, it's a decent story good production also.
    Deadpool and Fargo
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That's an interesting double-bill @SharkBait
  • Buschemi is on absolute fire in Fargo - just watched it myself for the first time recently. I had no clue what to expect but I thought it was awesome. I double billed it with Jackie Robinson, which was definitely interesting.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Deadpool and Fargo

Good choices.
    I somehow knew I would like Deadpool more than any other Marvel/comic book film and I was right.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I started watching seven i got around 30 minutes in and then it was just so slow that I turned it off. Should I bother finishing it? Is it a really good film- does it pick up. Keep in mind I recently wached fight club and did not like that movie
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I started watching seven i got around 30 minutes in and then it was just so slow that I turned it off. Should I bother finishing it? Is it a really good film- does it pick up. Keep in mind I recently wached fight club and did not like that movie
    Yes, finish it.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    In a word, yes. Finish the film. It builds beautifully. One of the classics of the genre. It's all about the suspense and atmosphere rather than the action with this one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Just like the others said, you should definitely finish it. The finale alone is worth the viewing.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    MEMENTO. Very familiar, one of my favorites. Thanks for suggesting it, @JamesBondKenya.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    7even is BRILLIANT... one of my all time favourites...!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

It won't be one of the greatest things you'll ever see, but sure, finish it. I am surprised it hasn't been spoiled for you, as it is just one of those films you have to see from a film fan perspective.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

I feel exactly the same. I enjoyed it for what it was, but don't feel the need to watch it again anytime soon.

Oh, hell yes. Please do yourself a favor and finish it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    There hasn't been a cop thriller since Se7en that compares, yes we've had great thrillers on a par like Memento but as far as operating within the cop genre and giving it a new spin no chance.

Even Fincher realised this and hasn't tried to repeat the trick, with the possibility of some holes Andrew Kevin Walker's is a modern masterpiece and although I like Alien 3 the jump in Fincher's direction and confidence with the film is astounding.

Great performances throughout and Freeman has never been better since.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I didn t like any of those movies.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 684
    THE CRIME OF MONSIEUR LANGE (1936) / Jean Renoir
    The-Crime-of-Monsieur-Lange-images-790405a2-0834-4176-80b4-a6fca9d9c6e.jpg
    When a despicable boss's many scams finally catch up to him, he flees town and leaves his workers to sort the business out alone. The ensemble cast gels really well, and their characters sit as the film's heart. Renoir's camera glides and rises, surfing through their lives, exposing all the satire, mystery, comedy, and heart contained therein. The politics of the piece are somewhat simplistic (a workers' cooperative succeeds immediately and without further exploration when the authoritarian boss high tails it), but Renoir keeps the film free of a screaming message. The 80-minute run time is just about right, so the plot never meanders or dulls. Definitely recommended.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I'm surprised Se7en didn't grip you straight away like it did me.

The discovery of the fat guy and what his killer had done had me immediately intrigued.

One of my favourite thrillers with a devastating climax.

Watch it all the way through.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,368
    Alien: Covenant this films biggest issue is there are several other Alien movies, too many aspects of this film are rushed, convenient and telegraphed to the already initiated. I enjoyed watching the film to an extent though it really has not pushed the mythology forward enough or rather pushed it forward in a satisfactory way.
    David is the highlight of the film his scenes were very macabre and Gothic Horror, the humans and Walter are incredibly dumb. The coliseum filled with dead bodies should have been a big clue something was up.
    One of my bigger complaints with 'Prometheus' was the idiocy of those involved - I know, I know, if they were elite-level scientists then it may not have gone downhill like the audience wanted in the first place - but to have them even more idiotic in the sequel was astounding and upsetting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    One of my bigger complaints with 'Prometheus' was the idiocy of those involved - I know, I know, if they were elite-level scientists then it may not have gone downhill like the audience wanted in the first place - but to have them even more idiotic in the sequel was astounding and upsetting.
    Indeed. They were stupid in Prometheus and stupider in Covenant, all in order to give us cheap scare thrills. This film was one of the biggest disappointments for me in 2017.

The opening scene between David and Weyland remains the highlight for me. So much that could have been explored here that was wasted imho.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

There were zero protocols it was beyond stupid, Ridley Scotts visuals were great though he should watch Alien again and get his script writers to watch it too. The scripts have severally undermined the last two films.
    It was also a shame to see Scott go from the beautiful animatronic/practical effect work in 'Alien' to what I saw as 95% CG appearances from all the Xenomorphs/Neomorphs. I think I noticed one single instance of someone in a suit.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,368
    Scott has lost sight of what made Alien work, there was very little build up or Suspense in Covenant.
    The Alien gestation period was quicker than boiling a kettle which took me totally out of the movie, plus those spores would be everywhere they all should have died soon as they breathed near them.
    I can only endure someone putting their face right atop a hatching Xenomorph egg so many times before I grow tired of the "reveal" that's inevitably taking place moments after: BOOM, a Facehugger spawns and attaches itself.
  • Alien: Covenant this films biggest issue is there are several other Alien movies, too many aspects of this film are rushed, convenient and telegraphed to the already initiated. I enjoyed watching the film to an extent though it really has not pushed the mythology forward enough or rather pushed it forward in a satisfactory way.
    David is the highlight of the film his scenes were very macabre and Gothic Horror, the humans and Walter are incredibly dumb. The coliseum filled with dead bodies should have been a big clue something was up.

I agree. Actually I think the highlight of Covenant was the misty forest setting that looked like it was filmed in the "prehistoric" California redwoods. That was a really unusual and different setting for an Alien film. Though of course it was not capitalized upon at all.

Least favorite part: the miniature, fully formed xenomorph that looked like it had just danced its way over from Spaceballs and was in search of its top hat. I'm sorry but that thing had me cracking up in the worst, most unintended way.
    The only way they can go now with Scotts story arc is that
    David dumps his pay load of The island of Dr Moreau experiments/Xenomorph on the home world of the Engineers, the Engineers flee there planet with eggs on there ship and crash on Lv - 426.