Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

My personal favorite of the Indy movies. I was playing Uncharted 3 the other day and had a desire to put Last Crusade in the DVD player. It's been quite awhile since I last saw it (over a year at least), and I didn't regret watching it again. There were even moments I'd forgotten, such as Indy laughing like a madman as he steals the Nazis' horses during the convoy scene.

I only hope Indy 5 is as good as Last Crusade.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, glad you enjoyed it! I, too slightly prefer the 'John Wick' universe, but damn, if 'Atomic Blonde' wasn't entertaining and plausible in its choreography. The way everyone is stumbling and panting and coughing up blood towards the end of that big fight was great, not something you see in action movies too often.

Agreed @Creasy47

Atomic Blonde and John Wick are like apples and oranges to me though, despite what the reviews led me to believe with their headlines about Ms. Theron. Wasn't expecting such a dense, detailed storyline. Went to see it a second time with my Dad the following night while it was still fresh and I enjoyed it even more the second time. I have a feeling it'll be a film that will improve upon repeated viewings as you notice more details.

That fight scene was fantastic. Unlike a lot of female action stars I actually believed that Charlize could take down five guys during those sequences thanks to the superb choreography. She was very convincing.

Wasn't too mad about the car stuff afterwards but it was set to Flock of Seagulls so I'll give it a pass. ;)
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 6,844
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Rollerball (1975). Blu Ray. Wow, this movie holds up! A freakin' masterpiece. So predictive, so full of social commentary... lots of gray areas... just amazing. A Norman Jewison film- his next after Jesus Christ Superstar. If you haven't seen this, you should.
    Heavily recommended.

Maud Adams, Shane Rimmer, and Burt Kwouk?? I'll bet nobody can follow up your post with a film with more Bond alumni that they've seen recently!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

My personal favorite of the Indy movies. I was playing Uncharted 3 the other day and had a desire to put Last Crusade in the DVD player. It's been quite awhile since I last saw it (over a year at least), and I didn't regret watching it again. There were even moments I'd forgotten, such as Indy laughing like a madman as he steals the Nazis' horses during the convoy scene.

Harrison is going to be about 20 years older than Sean was in Last Crusade. Let that sink in for a moment.
    Mutt Williams and the Last Crusade, with Mutt and his estranged father Indy going on an exciting new adventure.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    pachazo wrote: »

Harrison is going to be about 20 years older than Sean was in Last Crusade. Let that sink in for a moment.

Even so, he was the best part of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and he was excellent in The Force Awakens. The man's goddamn fantastic in spite of his age.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    pachazo wrote: »

Even so, he was the best part of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and he was excellent in The Force Awakens. The man's goddamn fantastic in spite of his age.

I love him just as much as anyone. He was perfect in TFA as the old mentor, having to perform only some light physical activity. He's just too old to be an action-adventure hero anymore.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    If done correctly Indy 5 could work a really good script will help, I read some time ago George Lucas won't be involved. (I hope they don't bring Marion back)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd rather Indiana Jones stay kept locked up instead of ruining it any further.
    raiderswarehousematte1.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,459
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd rather Indiana Jones stay kept locked up instead of ruining it any further.
    raiderswarehousematte1.jpg

Unfortunately they have already raided that warehouse which was shocking lol
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    SPIES (1928) / Fritz Lang
    spione4a.jpg
    Several weeks ago, after my watch of THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE, @Lancaster007 asked if I'd seen SPIES and recommended me it. Tonight I gave it a watch: wonderfully stylized escapist fare with an international scope and a secret agent (by some accounts English) with a penchant for the high life, glamorous women, car chases, and near death experiences. Sounds familiar...

There was far more focus on the love story than I'd have thought, but it works. Though I preferred TESTAMENT on the whole, SPIES is still a massively entertaining film, and Lang is such a master (although you don't need me to tell you that). Lang's cutting was the highlight for me on this first viewing, the asynchronous effect it produced here and there — not non-linear storytelling by any means but just relevance over cause and effect.

He was certainly used to pushing the possibilities of the silent feature by this point, at any rate. No surprise he conquered the early 'talkie' with seeming ease, as well.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,277
    My Indiana Jones ranking is:

1. Last Crusade
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. Temple of Doom

4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    My Ranking is...

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom (The second act brings this film down)

4. Kingdom of the abysmal Skull
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Female Prisoner Scorpion: 701's Grudge Song (1973) dir. Yasuharu Hasebe. Fourth and final (of the original Scorpion series) starring Meiko Kaji. Although Shunya Ito wrapped up the series in Beast Stable, the studio wanted one more and Kaji was up for it too. Probably the weakest of the original bunch, but still a damn good watch. Set mostly outside prison this has Nami (aka Scorpion) on the run, falling for a man who has been tortured by the police too…until he too betrays her. Some great stylised violence and images of Kaji giving her 'death' stare, a fairly fitting end to the series. Until of course the studio revived Scorpion in a series of increasing poorer films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, glad you enjoyed it! I, too slightly prefer the 'John Wick' universe, but damn, if 'Atomic Blonde' wasn't entertaining and plausible in its choreography. The way everyone is stumbling and panting and coughing up blood towards the end of that big fight was great, not something you see in action movies too often.

Agreed @Creasy47

Atomic Blonde and John Wick are like apples and oranges to me though, despite what the reviews led me to believe with their headlines about Ms. Theron. Wasn't expecting such a dense, detailed storyline. Went to see it a second time with my Dad the following night while it was still fresh and I enjoyed it even more the second time. I have a feeling it'll be a film that will improve upon repeated viewings as you notice more details.

That fight scene was fantastic. Unlike a lot of female action stars I actually believed that Charlize could take down five guys during those sequences thanks to the superb choreography. She was very convincing.

Wasn't too mad about the car stuff afterwards but it was set to Flock of Seagulls so I'll give it a pass. ;)

Plus, at the end of the day if someone really didn't like the finished product, it's tough not to enjoy watching Theron and Boutella tussle in the sheets. Was worth the ticket price alone.
  • BBCWORLDALERTSBBCWORLDALERTS CLIFTON NJ 07011
    MISSION IMPOSSIBLE THE FIRST ONE
    The King of Comedy. It's a very good film, and a comedy so dark you forget it's a comedy. As someone said in a review, you laugh, but worry that the humor, like a gun, will be turned against you-- in other words, that things will take a turn for the nasty, and that that which was funny, if uncomfortable, will become flat-out terrifying. The actors are simply terrific, Jerry Lewis included (and it's great that he gets to act silly for a moment in a fantasy sequence). I'd like to single out a few things I've noticed and/or wondered about the film after several watches:

-The title sequence freeze frame is an image loaded with symbolism. I read it in two different ways: a) The hands belong to the "fan" who wants to reach the "celebrity" through the TV. The celebrity inside the TV is looking at the fan. b) The hands belong to the celebrity who is trapped inside the TV, while the people look at him from the outside.

-The mural of the audience is a fascinating, strange image. It's clearly not in Rupert Pupkin's basement, but in his mind. It seems to symbolize a mixture of reality and fantasy, or the halfway point between them. We see a representation of what Rupert is imagining (the audience), but instead of seeing a real audience, it's a flat, lifeless image, as if reality and fantasy "crashed" into each other. The space to the sides of the mural I find visually and viscerally interesting, as well. Beyond the eye's reach, does it go on forever?

-Why does Langford choose to walk freely through the busy streets of New York, despite his celebrity? He certainly does because he wants to and because he needs to feel like a normal person, but at the same time, on some level, he probably wants/needs adulation from the people on the street. (While the film never really shows us Langford's appreciation for his job and/or his fame, there is clearly an element of ego, and of his need to express himself to an audience, that drove him to pursue his profession.)

-During his comedy act, Rupert says if he ever saw his mother again, he'd say "Mom, what are you doing here? You've been dead for nine years!" This is interesting because of course, his mother actually is alive, though he perhaps wishes she wasn't... It's clear Rupert had a painful childhood, and somehow suppressed his suffering until it became something else, something pathological. That that can happen to a person is a scary thought. Watching him, I get the feeling we never see his "real" self; he buried it so deeply it was lost forever.

-I don't think the filmmakers intended the ending to be either real or a fantasy. It's a framework for the viewer to analyze how relevant the themes and ideas of the film are, by asking himself "nowadays, would this ending be more likely to be real or a fantasy?"

-What happens to Masha in the end? Does she go to jail, to a mental hospital? Does she continue to stalk Jerry Langford after his "rejection"? Does she talk to Rupert ever again?
    THE CIRCLE (2017) / James Ponsoldt
    m-442_circle_11286fdrv1r.jpg?w=780
    Bilge. Came for Hanks and Watson (and Gillan, a huge crush on her). But no. A Black Mirror episode with all the satire sucked dry. They went for 1984. Should've gone for Brave New World. As it stands the narrative buckled under the burden. Passing muster on philosophical musings alone would require some distance to exist between the film and the viewer to allow the necessary perspective. We don't get that. The film is caught between a horrible narrative and a message with no space for absorption. So that instead of enjoying a knowing smirk at the expense of our modern technologically-obsessed selves, I was boiling in rage that the people in the movie were acting so stupid and easily brainwashed (seemingly without condemnation) which only led to a nitpicky mindset throughout, which took me wholly out of the film.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Watched ATMOIB BLONDE last night and quite enjyoed it. A verry tough, cool and at time very violent aand brutal spy flick. Charlize Theron is very good at kicking men asses, be it West German or East German policeman, russian agents and russian killers. The showpiece is a 12-minute-stairwell fight scene, in which she fights not with one or two guys, but more likely 8-10, and the whole scene looks like it was shot in one take (which it presumably wasn't). And as with the Bourne movies or the first DC Bonds, you see the aftermath of the fight, theron looks fiercely bruised and bleeding and you actually can ffel the pain. As it it nowadays difficult to find place in Berlin, which look like 1989 now, most of the scenes was shot in Budapest, although the studio apparently as at Babelsberg. Theron, as I said bvefore, is very tough and very good, and the rest of the cast does is also quite good, including the James McAvoy, Tobi Jones, Sofia Boutelia, plus Til Schweiger as a contact called The Watchmaker, but thankfully, he just has a few lines. One minor issue: The "Neue Deutsche Welle" music used in the movie had its peak around 1981-1983, but surely not in 1989 (I grew up in these times), but it is actually rather cool, having a car chase in a parking garage with Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" playing over it. And there is also a lot of British 1980's music. Maybe BB and MGW should consider David Leitch for a future Bond instalment, could be worth a try, but just judging from what he did with ATOMIC BLONDE, haven't seen DEADPOOL.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,459
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 second watch I enjoyed it much more, though the second act really let's the film down.

Edited: Predators First time watch on BD looks good, this film is better than I remember it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
    MvVWktV.jpg

If you like lots of well crafted action scenes in famous European locations and miss the buddy action movie then this Patrick Hughes directed film may just be the ticket. Some may know that I am not a fan of Ryan Reynolds (I'm still trying to figure out who he knows in the industry to keep getting big roles), but decided to take a chance on this film mainly because of the always reliable Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman and the delectable Salma Hayek. Well, they all delivered (particularly Hayek in a small but memorable role) & Reynolds was tolerable as the straight man to Jackson's pseudo comedian. The action was very good. The humour fell a bit flat for me though. Like it was going through the motions and ticking boxes. A bit cliched and just a little cruel on occasion. Still, it's not a terrible way to spend a couple of hours and seeing Jackson ham it up is always a treat just like watching Nicholsan do his tried and tested shtick was in the past. Just don't expect something mind blowing. Think Rush Hour but without the charisma of that franchise offering.
    Predator Ultimate Edition... First time watch on 4K upscale this film is vivid looks amazing, Predator is in my Arnie top 4 possibly number 2 it's that's good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE COUNCELOR

I managed to get through 3/4 or so of it before I turned it off. What a boring movie with a totally worthless and pretentious script.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Night Moves (1975) - Amazing 70s noir, would love to see Bond move more towards this type of private-eye mystery thriller like Dr. No.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,812
    Birth of the Dragon
    20170713_BIRTHOFDRAGON_FEED--faecd50fd4ccd6c6ef5b516a2734ffe9.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that I saw this in theaters. While the movie as a whole really isn't bad, it's a disgrace to the man that was Bruce Lee. Had this movie been inspired by the actual story and changed the names of characters, I would be more accepting of it. The Lee family had nothing to do with this film and it shows. Also, I just found out the WWE had a hand in making it... so that should tell you something. I say save your money and just wait for it to be streamed on Netflix someday if you really want to see it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
    MvVWktV.jpg

If you like lots of well crafted action scenes in famous European locations and miss the buddy action movie then this Patrick Hughes directed film may just be the ticket. Some may know that I am not a fan of Ryan Reynolds (I'm still trying to figure out who he knows in the industry to keep getting big roles), but decided to take a chance on this film mainly because of the always reliable Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman and the delectable Salma Hayek. Well, they all delivered (particularly Hayek in a small but memorable role) & Reynolds was tolerable as the straight man to Jackson's pseudo comedian. The action was very good. The humour fell a bit flat for me though. Like it was going through the motions and ticking boxes. A bit cliched and just a little cruel on occasion. Still, it's not a terrible way to spend a couple of hours and seeing Jackson ham it up is always a treat just like watching Nicholsan do his tried and tested shtick was in the past. Just don't expect something mind blowing. Think Rush Hour but without the charisma of that franchise offering.

With some wonderful boat chase sequences in Amsterdam @bondjames ;-). I can't wait to see "The Hitman's Bodyguard". It seems The Netherlands is becoming 'hot' again as filming location, as Christopher Nolan's "Dunkirk" (a Dutch co-production) and Josh Boone's "The Fault In Our Stars" were also heavily filmed there.

To me, I saw one of the best films of 2017 yesterday. And I urge everyone in here to see this wonderful, yet sad, roadmovie about the failed American Dream. In a way it reminded me a bit of "Easy Rider". Please go and watch "American Honey":
    X5Iomvr.jpg
    Yes, @Gustav_Graves , the Netherlands looked quite lovely in the film. In fact, during my viewing I wondered why Bond hadn't used the location for a similar boat chase during DAF. I think it would be great if they went back there soon.

I was also impressed with how all the locations (including notoriously gloomy London) looked sunny and bright. They either got lucky or waited for the right time to film the sequences.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    bondjames wrote: »
    I was also impressed with how all the locations (including notoriously gloomy London) looked sunny and bright. They either got lucky or waited for the right time to film the sequences.

Samuel L Jackson used his usual colourful language to scare the clouds away. ;)
    In fact, during my viewing I wondered why Bond hadn't used the location for a similar boat chase during DAF.

Probably because of that :

Puppet_on_a_Chain_poster.jpg

Out the same year as DAF. So they might have stepped away from any claims of copyright infringement. BTW, I've read the novel, which I found rather good, although for me, the best McLean novel is the one that has not been adapted as a movie, that is HMS Ulysses.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Gerard wrote: »
    In fact, during my viewing I wondered why Bond hadn't used the location for a similar boat chase during DAF.

Probably because of that :

Puppet_on_a_Chain_poster.jpg

Out the same year as DAF. So they might have stepped away from any claims of copyright infringement. BTW, I've read the novel, which I found rather good, although for me, the best McLean novel is the one that has not been adapted as a movie, that is HMS Ulysses.
    Thanks. That makes sense. I wasn't aware of this film. I may check it out if a copy can readily be found on amazon.