Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Just saw LL
    Unfortunate.
    Some what disappointing.
    If oceans 11 is great
    And oceans 12 is utter shit
    LL is somewhere in the middle
    Great craig performance though.
    Very slow moving film

I'm still gonna see it this weekend. I enjoyed all of the Oceans films to some extent and I'm very very easily entertained. I mean I watched The Number 23 with Jim Carrey last night and I enjoyed it so you see how easily entertained I am. Not to mention I have a crap worth of Fandango gift cards to use so it won't cost me anything.
    Just saw LL
    Unfortunate.
    Some what disappointing.
    If oceans 11 is great
    Very slow moving film

I'm still gonna see it this weekend. I enjoyed all of the Oceans films to some extent and I'm very very easily entertained. I mean I watched The Number 23 with Jim Carrey last night and I enjoyed it so you see how easily entertained I am. Not to mention I have a crap worth of Fandango gift cards to use so it won't cost me anything.

:)) Well, you should be alright with most movies then.

I'm definitely planning to see LL myself whenever it gets to my neck of the woods.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Just saw LL
    Unfortunate.
    Some what disappointing.
    If oceans 11 is great
    Very slow moving film

Try and go in unbiased then dont let me spoil the fun
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Wind River
    Quad_AW_32462-Wind-River-e1501442990166.jpg

I had only seen one trailer and that was just before I decide to go see it yesterday. This was one of those movies that I had no idea what to expect when I went in. This is probably going to be in my top five for 2017. The movie was simple, yet tense. The movie is written by Taylor Sheridan who also wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water. Wind River was so good that I feel I need to give Sicario another chance and I need to get around to Hell or High Water.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @QsAssistant, glad you loved it, can't wait for the opportunity to see it myself. I also saw the first trailer only once, figured the less I knew going in, the better.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Wind River

I had only seen one trailer and that was just before I decide to go see it yesterday. This was one of those movies that I had no idea what to expect when I went in. This is probably going to be in my top five for 2017. The movie was simple, yet tense. The movie is written by Taylor Sheridan who also wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water. Wind River was so good that I feel I need to give Sicario another chance and I need to get around to Hell or High Water.

Looks good. Got to be worth a look if it's from the writer of Hell Or High Water. Loved that film.
    Wind River

Looks good. Got to be worth a look if it's from the writer of Hell Or High Water. Loved that film.

You and I both. An incredible modern-day western.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,692
    Can't wait to see Wind River whenever it plays near me, and also very excited for Sicario 2: Soldado next June.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Wind River

One of my favourite films of last year. And not surprisingly Sicario was one of my best films the year before that!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Wind River

One of my favourite films of last year. And not surprisingly Sicario was one of my best films the year before that!

You and I both! I might have to find the time to rewatch 'Hell or High Water' again soon before I have the chance to catch 'Wind River.' I'm a big fan of Sheridan's.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @Tuulia, Rumble Fish is one of my all time favourites. Saw it in the cinema when it came out.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,465
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 more miss than hit, I did laugh at some jokes usually involving Drax, Mantis and Gamora, unfortunately the script seriously is none existent. This film is very self indulgent with no direction for the most part, some good visuals become uninteresting very quickly.
    The Shark has well and truly been jumped!

This could be the film that sets Marvel down a path that will derail them for a while.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The American. Sorry, I have to spoiler this whole review-
    The PTS dictated the end. I expected how the finish would happen. And unlike The Gladiator, which I also saw the end of in the beginning, I was not nearly as moved by it. I'm glad I saw it, but I will not be seeing it ever again. Well made, well acted, but like some early 70's films it was too much of a downer. If a main character starts off that flawed, there IS no redemption.
    Glad the Blu Ray was only $2.75...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The PTS dictated the end. I expected how the finish would happen. And unlike The Gladiator, which I also saw the end of in the beginning, I was not nearly as moved by it. I'm glad I saw it, but I will not be seeing it ever again. Well made, well acted, but like some early 70's films it was too much of a downer. If a main character starts off that flawed, there IS no redemption.
    @chrisisall, some say it is a remake of the 1969 James Coburn film, Hard Contract and follows a very similar plot.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2017 Posts: 28,694

@chrisisall,
    I don't think what happens in the beginning of the film necessarily tells you everything that will happen at the end, or immediately drives one to that conclusion; you are more seasoned of course, but I've seen too many films where things don't go as they seemed as they would so I wouldn't immediately jump to that. But you've latched onto the essential idea of the film, to see a man wrestling with what he's done and seeing that he needs to get out while he has something left. Jack's murder of the woman was a very dark attempt on the man's side to protect his interests and that of his organization, making him a lot harder of a man than another spy we know, which could be interestingly jarring for viewers. And of course it's fitting how the movie starts, considering that Jack's act to protect his professional integrity and his "handler" is ultimately what shows his superior that he's lost his ability to remain focused and impartial, and sets about his assassination before he becomes even more of a liability.

I understand not feeling into the film if you don't support what the protagonist is doing, but Jack's gray and contradictory morality feels very human to me, and really, honest; if I felt otherwise I'd not be able to enjoy most noirs, mob films, spy films and war movies for the bad things men and women do for either good or bad reasons in them. Jack isn't glorified, he's just built up as a survivor and you either take it or leave it because that's the kind of man who would be in those situations. It was interesting for me to see him battle with his morality and the choices he'd made, thinking he was lost to any ideas of heave and bound for hell for what he's done. I think it's the act he takes at the start that makes him change his life, as it haunts him and shows him that he's no longer made for the job and doesn't want anything to do with it anymore if he must act so coldly to do it. I also don't think it's an accident that Clara, the woman he selects at the brothel, is a doppelganger of the woman he kills at the beginning, and I see that as Jack finding a way to get a second chance with a woman he doesn't want his past life to harm. He was seeking some penance while changing his ways.

It's a shame that this is a similar thing that happened with you and I and Blade Runner, where a film you loved was one that left me cold and for similar reasons as The American didn't seem to strike you.
    I was surprised you found the film too much of a downer, when that's really all that Blade Runner is, and, as with The American you're watching a morally compromised man struggle with his violent actions while seeking a partner in a woman who could redeem him. I ultimately don't see much difference in Deckard shooting a replicant dead in the street for striking out against a government/society that used her as a tool for their own bidding and how Jack does his own act for his own "government" of spies and himself; they're both men acting for themselves and others without more concern for the life of the person in their crosshairs, and at least Jack is haunted by it afterward to a debilitating degree whereas I feel little from Deckard that makes me see him feel the regret of it all. Because of that, Jack feels more interesting and supportable or interesting to me, because the writing and acting of Clooney shows us the effect it all has on him, whereas Deckard is robotic in performance and writing.

The reason that The American works for me while Blade Runner leaves me cold is that I simply find the characters to be well acted and written in the former and not at all in the latter outside of Rutger's character. I was hoping that what I saw as improved writing and more adept characterization and subtle themes in the spy film would attract you as you enjoy what I see as a weaker execution of those same things in Blade Runner.
    Oh well. ;)

@chrisisall,
    I don't think what happens in the beginning of the film necessarily tells you everything that will happen at the end, or immediately drives one to that conclusion; you are more seasoned of course, but I've seen too many films where things don't go as they seemed as they would so I wouldn't immediately jump to that. But you've latched onto the essential idea of the film, to see a man wrestling with what he's done and seeing that he needs to get out while he has something left. Jack's murder of the woman was a very dark attempt on the man's side to protect his interests and that of his organization, making him a lot harder of a man than another spy we know, which could be interestingly jarring for viewers. And of course it's fitting how the movie starts, considering that Jack's act to protect his professional integrity and his "handler" is ultimately what shows his superior that he's lost his ability to remain focused and impartial, and sets about his assassination before he becomes even more of a liability.

I understand not feeling into the film if you don't support what the protagonist is doing, but Jack's gray and contradictory morality feels very human to me, and really, honest; if I felt otherwise I'd not be able to enjoy most noirs, mob films, spy films and war movies for the bad things men and women do for either good or bad reasons in them. Jack isn't glorified, he's just built up as a survivor and you either take it or leave it because that's the kind of man who would be in those situations. It was interesting for me to see him battle with his morality and the choices he'd made, thinking he was lost to any ideas of heave and bound for hell for what he's done. I think it's the act he takes at the start that makes him change his life, as it haunts him and shows him that he's no longer made for the job and doesn't want anything to do with it anymore if he must act so coldly to do it. I also don't think it's an accident that Clara, the woman he selects at the brothel, is a doppelganger of the woman he kills at the beginning, and I see that as Jack finding a way to get a second chance with a woman he doesn't want his past life to harm. He was seeking some penance while changing his ways.

It's a shame that this is a similar thing that happened with you and I and Blade Runner, where a film you loved was one that left me cold and for similar reasons as The American didn't seem to strike you.
    I was surprised you found the film too much of a downer, when that's really all that Blade Runner is, and, as with The American you're watching a morally compromised man struggle with his violent actions while seeking a partner in a woman who could redeem him. I ultimately don't see much difference in Deckard shooting a replicant dead in the street for striking out against a government/society that used her as a tool for their own bidding and how Jack does his own act for his own "government" of spies and himself; they're both men acting for themselves and others without more concern for the life of the person in their crosshairs, and at least Jack is haunted by it afterward to a debilitating degree whereas I feel little from Deckard that makes me see him feel the regret of it all. Because of that, Jack feels more interesting and supportable or interesting to me, because the writing and acting of Clooney shows us the effect it all has on him, whereas Deckard is robotic in performance and writing.

The reason that The American works for me while Blade Runner leaves me cold is that I simply find the characters to be well acted and written in the former and not at all in the latter outside of Rutger's character. I was hoping that what I saw as improved writing and more adept characterization and subtle themes in the spy film would attract you as you enjoy what I see as a weaker execution of those same things in Blade Runner.
    Oh well. ;)

Incredibly well analyzed sir! I must consider this a bit before an extended & intelligent response. You have given me much to consider here!
    @chrisisall, some say it is a remake of the 1969 James Coburn film, Hard Contract and follows a very similar plot.

Hmmmm, seems similar. Nothing new under the (eclipsing) sun, eh?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Wind River (2017)

Gzr4GU5.jpg
    Taylor Sheridan’s directorial debut is a moody, tense thriller. The writer of the screenplays for the critically acclaimed Sicario and Hell or High Water brings the same keen insights into the underbelly of American life here. On its face it’s a relatively simple murder mystery on a Wyoming Native American reservation. While that element is quite interesting in itself, it’s not what draws the viewer in. Rather, it’s the strength of the main characters which is the real attraction here. Jeremy Renner gives a moving and credible performance as Cory Lambert, a wildlife tracker with a past. Elisabeth Olsen is also really good as an out of town FBI investigator. The always excellent Graham Greene stars as Ben, the local reservation chief. The film reminds me a little of Christopher Nolan’s Insomnia. It’s very atmospheric and Ben Richardson’s cinematography really showcases the barren nature of the setting, making us feel the bitter cold. Sheridan expertly immerses us into the lives of the residents, and it’s difficult not to be absorbed by their despaired circumstances and difficulties due to the emotional depth of the screenplay. It’s quite an excellent film. Recommended.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 17,691
    I was surprised you found the film too much of a downer, when that's really all that Blade Runner is, and, as with The American you're watching a morally compromised man struggle with his violent actions while seeking a partner in a woman who could redeem him. I ultimately don't see much difference in Deckard shooting a replicant dead in the street for striking out against a government/society that used her as a tool for their own bidding and how Jack does his own act for his own "government" of spies and himself; they're both men acting for themselves and others without more concern for the life of the person in their crosshairs, and at least Jack is haunted by it afterward to a debilitating degree whereas I feel little from Deckard that makes me see him feel the regret of it all.
    Okay, and here is the part where I tout the goodness of the NARRATED version. If I had seen the film in 1982 without it, I certainly would have had your reaction to it.

The essence of why I don't fancy The American much (besides the fact that it's well crafted, well acted, and amazing to look at) while Blade Runner is one of my top 5 films of all time is that Deckard evolves, where as Jack simply wants (needs) to escape. Deckard, in the end, makes an enlightened choice to love despite the danger & previous training/indoctrination based upon new information & lessons learned about how precious life is.... Jack merely reacts to his situation in self interest/survival. His character doesn't get a chance to redeem himself through enlightenment. The fact that the movie is entitled "The American" hints at what is wrong with us as a country... and depicts no deeper understanding of how to fix it. Therein lies my personal distinction between the two.
    However, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 , they are quite similar films. My takeaway from Blade Runner could be pretty much your takeaway from The American. There is no right or wrong to it IMO.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@chrisisall,

Oh well. ;)

Incredibly well analyzed sir! I must consider this a bit before an extended & intelligent response. You have given me much to consider here!

@chrisisall, at the very least I hope you've not closed yourself off to the possibility of returning to The American again in the future, as I hope to do in exploring Blade Runner and finding a way to that material in a more agreeable fashion.

As I'm always quick to say, it's a divisive film and will hit people hot and cold depending on their tastes, what they like in their movies and maybe even their mood or appetite at the time of the viewing. To give you some context, my start with The American was pretty strained too. I saw it in theaters the moment it came out, and I think that I fell for the trailers that showed a mix of espionage and brutal action in the Bond vein. In reality the trailers simply took all the bits of action in the film and put it in the trailer to make the film look like something it wasn't, disguising a quiet and moody character story for an action piece. I think it's that mis-marketing that not only hurt the film for others, but for me as well because I went into it not knowing that I was getting something different. I also saw the film with my mother because I was obviously too young to drive myself at the time, and now that you have seen the film you understand why that was awkward.

I ultimately came away not enjoying it and feeling left cold by it, if I remember correctly. It took me many years of maturation as a kid and as a film fan to open my eyes to all kinds of cinema, and with that education and greater sense for the power of subtle films, I came back to The American at a much older age that allowed me to appreciate it for what it was and not what I expected it to be. And I actually prefer it now and find it refreshing for what it isn't.
    It isn't all action, it's a surprisingly moving statement on not just the mistakes and decisions of the spy, but of those around him. Jack is surrounded with people living the best they can with their ill-fated decisions; the prostitute risking her health and safety to make a buck, the fellow agent who is using Jack to plan his own assassination, the priest who sinned and has been working to become holier his entire life afterward to repent, and the lost mechanic who is trying to get on a good path after a life of crime. These lost and intersecting lives muddle each other and things get complicated when a simple job of creating a custom gun blows a hole in the lives of everyone Jack crosses, and always for the worst. It's not something I expected to see from a spy film, but man does that hit me.

If one also treats the symbol of the butterfly and Jack's obsession with them as a representation or sense of escape, it's a very tragic story where a man has no redemption and doesn't ever get what he wants no matter how much he wants to be a better man; the film paints no easy and safe road for him, and his penance gets no pay off. Like the white butterfly he sees resting on the arm of the female agent in the woods, Jack is "endangered" from the start and is marking time. It's hard to tell if he believed he could live a life of escape and freedom with Clara, but as a viewer it's clear that his hopes and dreams were nothing more than a fantasy that he conned himself to believe.

If you ever give the film another watch or anything strikes you about it that you want to discuss, feel free to PM me or anything of the sort. I love discussing this movie and I'm glad that you gave it a try and found at least some things to enjoy about it, and could appreciate it for what it was trying to be, very much in the vein of the grounded and cynical 70s films with a European bent and style. A lot of people write it off and resent it, but from what I've heard of your reaction you grasped the intentions of the film and understood what the filmmakers were trying to emulate and spin tone wise for audiences. Cheers, my friend.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 17,691
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 The American is a good film, no doubt at all about that. It made me FEEL things, it was so good that I CARED. I WANTED to see an ending that I wanted, but like so many 70's films I grew up watching it didn't go there. It was bold in that way, and I respect it for that. A film can piss you off because of its simplistic formula, or because it hurts you because of its emotionally honesty. This was the latter. I will revisit it again no doubt, after a time. I think that Blade Runner by comparison offers a larger distance from the realistic & violent subject matter, being all science fiction-y and all... and is less inherently repugnant in its main characters' initial flaws because of that... it lets you contemplate ideas more than simply emotionally reacting to situations... IMHO anyway. Well, I was a Star Trek fan way before I was a Bond fan, so no surprise here. Cheers to you too!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 The American is a good film, no doubt at all about that. It made me FEEL things, it was so good that I CARED. I WANTED to see an ending that I wanted, but like so many 70's films I grew up watching it didn't go there. It was bold in that way, and I respect it for that. A film can piss you off because of its simplistic formula, or because it hurts you because of its emotionally honesty. This was the latter. I will revisit it again no doubt, after a time. I think that Blade Runner by comparison offers a larger distance from the realistic & violent subject matter, being all science fiction-y and all... and is less inherently repugnant in its main characters' initial flaws because of that... it lets you contemplate ideas more than simply emotionally reacting to situations... IMHO anyway. Well, I was a Star Trek fan way before I was a Bond fan, so no surprise here. Cheers to you too!

I understand that completely, @chrisisall. I agree that, because Blade Runner is bigger in scope there is definitely more of a distraction to it, as the visuals take you over and you're left trying to suck it up in a way that stops one from jumping so swiftly to conclusions on some of the characters; the themes are also bigger, like creator and creation, despite both films tackling very existential questions through the characters. Because The American by contrast is very grounded, the effect is more immediate and the themes are also very subdued to perhaps more of a degree than Blade Runner simply because that movie has had decades to be crystallized and thought over. I feel like one has to work harder to see the messages of The American and depending on the viewer you can come out of it with a different understanding of the characters than another.

It's interesting when films make you feel things, and you have to admit to it, but at times don't enjoy the feeling. When a movie hurts you, basically, and you feel it for a while as if it was real. A very strange experience, that.
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 more miss than hit, I did laugh at some jokes usually involving Drax, Mantis and Gamora, unfortunately the script seriously is none existent. This film is very self indulgent with no direction for the most part, some good visuals become uninteresting very quickly.

This could be the film that sets Marvel down a path that will derail them for a while.

Agreed. I can't believe the good notices this has had. I swear audiences and critics are becoming more and more dumber and easily pleased.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003)

I cant believe it has taken me 14 years to see this film..what married life does for you eh ?

Well worth the wait....a fantastic film,beautifully made with amazing performances from Bill and Scarlett ..

What did he whisper to her at the end I wonder ?

5/5 for me.

Great movie. Glad you finaly decided to see it. It's in my collection, but haven't watched it in a couple of years. I should watch it again soon.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DHNFXiMV0AEp2Jv.jpg

ATOMIC BLONDE

Very good stuff. Not so much John Wick as it is John Le Carrè by way of Jason Bourne, Theron is beautiful and dangerous in it. The plot is dense and takes a long time to get moving, but the action is plentiful and bone crunching and unlike a lot of lesser female action stars, you actually believe that Theron is capable of taking down a man twice her size. She makes it look very convincing. One long take fight sequence near the end of the film stood out in particular.

The character is smart and elegant, supported by an absolutely killer soundtrack and a strong supporting cast from McAvoy to Goodman.

Also, did I mention that she has a two minute lovemaking scene with Sofia Boutella?

ATOMIC-BLONDE-894389.png

That's an extra star in its favour.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Agreed. I can't believe the good notices this has had. I swear audiences and critics are becoming more and more dumber and easily pleased.

I think the psychedelic effects blindsides people, I could see what the director was trying to do though it was too cringeworthy at times.

I think the psychedelic effects blindsides people, I could see what the director was trying to do though it was too cringeworthy at times.

All the effects did for me was give me a migraine! And the choice of songs was so bloody predictable.

If you need Cat Stevens to lend your final scenes some gravitas then you're in trouble!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)

What a total blast. 2 hours of non stop action and bantering between Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson (who dropped the 'motherf*cker' bomb over 20/30 times in the film). The film was equally hugely entertaining by it's super badass action scenes (huge bodycount for both Reynolds and Sam Jackson), and the hilarious insults/bickering betwen the 2 leads. Salma Hayek was as beautiful as ever, and Gary Oldman gave another OTT villain performance from his 'Air Force One' days. After 'Atomic Blonde' last week, this is another new action flick I can't wait to own on Blu Ray to binge watch. And I would gladly welcome a sequel to this film.

Next week, I hope to catch Wind River in theaters.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, glad you enjoyed it! I, too slightly prefer the 'John Wick' universe, but damn, if 'Atomic Blonde' wasn't entertaining and plausible in its choreography. The way everyone is stumbling and panting and coughing up blood towards the end of that big fight was great, not something you see in action movies too often.
    Rollerball (1975). Blu Ray. Wow, this movie holds up! A freakin' masterpiece. So predictive, so full of social commentary... lots of gray areas... just amazing. A Norman Jewison film- his next after Jesus Christ Superstar. If you haven't seen this, you should.
    Heavily recommended.