Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Strog wrote: »
    THE FOG (1980) / John Carpenter
    the-fog-stretch.jpg
    Amid a small coastal town's celebration of its centenary, strange events begin to transpire, and a fog moves in...

Getting the Halloween viewing started early this year! And a good start it was. The film's much better than I had expected it to be. Far spookier than it is scary — which is in a way is how I prefer Halloween. There's nothing here that hasn't been done before, but Carpenter is a capable filmmaker, and he himself is enough to wring the film for its worth. The plot unfurls in such a way as to hold interest throughout in spite of its familiar trappings. Also: always love seeing Jamie Lee turn up. She's great.

Spooky rather than scary is a good way of putting it. While there isn't anything here that hasn't necessarily been done before character or story wise, as you say, the film is teeming with classic Carpenter atmosphere. I love just settling in and enjoying the spooky mood the film sets.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm in agreement regarding that assessment on The Fog. Had a moody, spooky feel to it, but wasn't jump-scary or anything like that. Solid cast (can't complain when Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis are working together) - haven't seen it in several years, and that was my only viewing of it. May be due for a rewatch come Halloween.
    I started watching seven i got around 30 minutes in and then it was just so slow that I turned it off. Should I bother finishing it? Is it a really good film- does it pick up. Keep in mind I recently wached fight club and did not like that movie

What's in the box? Whaaat's in the boooxx?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Operation Petticoat, a great old comedy movie with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    latest?cb=20141215162758
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). Still the greatest Star Trek film; works perfectly within the series and also just as a great sci-fi classic on its own! Love this movie.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). Still the greatest Star Trek film; works perfectly within the series and also just as a great sci-fi classic on its own! Love this movie.

Wrath of Khan is my joint favourite movie alongside The Empire Strikes Back, Khan is awesome

Wrath of Khan is my joint favourite movie alongside The Empire Strikes Back, Khan is awesome

Great choices. I should add that James Horner's soundtracks are my favorites of the Star Trek franchise - especially the main themes. Love that music.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Great choices. I should add that James Horner's soundtracks are my favorites of the Star Trek franchise - especially the main themes. Love that music.

Big fan of Horner I have Star Trek III and Aliens scores on CD, I want the Khan score though very expensive currently, amazing music
    Edge of Tomorrow (2014). Decent film - good way to kill a couple hours.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wonder Woman. I liked it even more than the first time in the theatre. Just wow.
    Wrath of Khan is just a gripping film from beginning to end,with everyone on top form.
    And as you say,the score,especially during the 'duel' with Reliant,when Enterprise looms up behind it,is excellent.
    Spectre on Netflix.
    Spectre on Netflix.

Verdict ?

It's not Kingsman but pretty good :-D
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,692
    IT (2017)

One of the best films I've seen all year, and one of the very best horror films in years. I was glued to the screen for the 2 hours and 15 minutes runtime. The kids were fantastic - only other recent film that had that much chemistry in a kids cast was 'Beast of No Nation'. Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise was phenomenal. The gory/creepy/intense/scary scenes were very, very well done. I sunk on my seat a few times due to the terror I was seeing on screen (not scary per say, but the imagery and sound effects made my body shake on a few occasions). The atmopshere was brillant, so was the soundtrack and 'feel' of the 1980's period the film is set in. The film's final was one of the best I've seen in the horror genre. I can't wait for Part 2, whenever it will come out!

My next trips to the cinema will be Blade Runner 2049 on Oct 4th and Kingsman: The Golden Circle a week after that.
    EXODUS Gods and Kings.

Certainly a fresher take on the biblical story which I enjoyed. Certainly more intense than the Charlton Heston movie from years ago.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,457
    tumblr_o3h83gsdc01trsn9io2_r1_500.gif

The Force Awakens It's been a while since I watched this and quite enjoyed it this time round, I still struggle with the second act and the plot holes are everywhere. The finale does hook you emotionally well me in any case, the emotional bond with a Star Wars film is vital. I am starting to get pumped up for The Last Jedi now which is good, also got 2 thirds of season 3 of Rebels to watch still to get me further in the mood for Star Wars.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978... Wow the Arrow Bluray is excellent I watched this film hundreds of times in my youth I feel it's a classic of the genre (also a remake of a classic), the effects look great and more vivid than I expected. The opening looks better than ever and is quite unnerving though sets up the tone of the film brilliantly.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    IT (2017)

Switched it off halfway through. as bad and boring as the other version.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    IT (2017)

@Thunderfinger, you've obviously made an error. Brosnan's I.T. was released in 2016, not 2017. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I made an error all right, by trying to watch that dreck.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    IT (2017)

Ooh, Mr. Counter-Culture. Come to think of it, I'd probably feel the same way. ;)
    Chinatown First watch on my 4K TV this is one of the best shot films ever made, nomatter how many times I have watched this film it's leaves me in shock and angry at the end, this film is masterpiece incredibly tragic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Chinatown First watch on my 4K TV this is one of the best shot films ever made, nomatter how many times I have watched this film it's leaves me in shock and angry at the end, this film is masterpiece incredibly tragic.

Agreed, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. One of the few films I'd call a masterpiece beyond its genre, and one of the fewer I'd say reaches near that league of "perfect" films.

Agreed, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. One of the few films I'd call a masterpiece beyond its genre, and one of the fewer I'd say reaches near that league of "perfect" films.

Along with The Big Sleep It's my favourite film Noir, both films are complex which demand the viewrer on each watch to emerse themselves in the film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Chinatown is indeed one of those films that deserves the masterpiece tag, every aspect is just perfect.

So glad I imported this a few years back the commentary with Robert Towne & David Fincher is fascinating.

Need to give this a watch a again soon, definitely an influence on how Hanson & Helgeland tackled L.A Confidential.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Chinatown is indeed one of those films that deserves the masterpiece tag, every aspect is just perfect.

So glad I imported this a few years back the commentary with Robert Towne & David Fincher is fascinating.

Need to give this a watch a again soon, definitely an influence on how Hanson & Helgeland tackled L.A Confidential.

L.A. Confidential is probably the best film in the genre since Chinatown, I considered watching L.A. Confidential after watching Chinatown tonight though chose Collateral, arguably Tom Cruise best performance great film.
    Superman The Movie Special Edition, still my favourite of the genre this scene exceplyfies that...

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Yes, possibly Polanski's best film, no?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 28,694

@Shardlake, love that commentary. Listened to it a while back on YouTube, before finding out that it was actually a special feature on the newer disc releases!

L.A. Confidential is probably the best film in the genre since Chinatown, I considered watching L.A. Confidential after watching Chinatown tonight though chose Collateral, arguably Tom Cruise best performance great film.
    I wasn't super impressed with L.A. Confidential, but it certainly got the era it was set in right. Very transportive.

I don't know if I could offhand name my favorite neo-noir post-Chinatown. I do think that all the people who like noirs and know the conventions and elements in them should see Brick (2005). It is a love letter to the genre and, if you can believe it, sets a noir in and around a high school where all the characters are teenagers instead of adults, a premise the movie really plays with. Highly recommended to those who love noirs and know what make them tick.

If I had to make a second suggestion for our MI6 film group, it'd be that film.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Yes, possibly Polanski's best film, no?
    @chrisisall, I'm not as knowledgable about Polanski's work to say. What I will surmise, however, is that the man's horrific experiences during the Holocaust and then with the Manson family must've made it fairly easy for him to translate human suffering and emotional turmoil to the film, the elements of Chinatown that for me leave the largest and longest-lasting impact. The man very much lived the suffering he brought to life, more than once.