Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Tuulia wrote: »

Logan Lucky
    I think it may have been the first time I ever got a private screening in theatre... I was the only audience. I thought this was quite entertaining, though nothing special or new. The cast did a good job.

That's only happened to me twice when I watched Alien³ and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I had the cinema to myself on both occasions.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, that happens to me more often than others, I'm sure. But that's all part of living in a small area, where you won't have big crowds most days and not on weekdays or anything either. I like sitting to watch a film with a smaller group, as it just fits my personality. I don't like going to see movies with others, as I like to get into my own zone and really focus on it; you won't ever find me sipping a drink, munching on popcorn or chatting as the movie plays, all big no-nos for me as a film viewer. That's why smaller crowds are preferable to me, as it's usually indicative of less noise, bustling, and a better view of the screen with nobody getting up every two seconds.

I guess in a way movie theaters and I are like priests entering temple, where massive respect is paid upon entering and silence is kept as we behold what we're there to celebrate or feel blessed by. I just don't take my shoes off as I go into the front door. ;)

On both occasions they were both medium size old opera houses, to be honest I often wait for Bluray release I have a decent movie room.

Just watched Wonder Woman Wow that was more emotional than I was expecting, Gadot was raw emotion at times really enjoyed the film.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, great to hear that you enjoyed Wonder Woman. It was the film of the year for me and really did my heart good, not only to see the movie met with such praise and financial success, but also with the assurance that boys and girls would have an actual hero to look up to like I had Spider-Man as a kid. It's the little things, and having heroes and things to have hope in does help when growing up (especially with how things are now).

Two moments really got me as I watched the film, and I knew I was experiencing something powerful.
    Despite seeing it in the trailers so many times, Diana's walk through the "no man's land" was a moment that just hit me like a ton of bricks, and I was so affected by the beauty of it, the hope, the brilliance of the woman and the power she had to make change. Her words, "It's what I'm going to do" sent shivers up my spine.

The more profound and truly captivating second moment was at the end when Diana is furious with mankind for creating war even without Ares, and Steve is left scrambling trying to explain to her why we do bad things to each other, finding no answers himself. It really moved me to see such a raw and honest portrayal of humanity, and the twist that in the end we make our own misery and must find our own way to redeem it. Steve can't explain it just like we can't, and it was poignant to see a solider/spy lost for words when he was trying to figure out why the events that made his job possible had to happen. Steve and Diana's relationship was so perfect in the film and those heartfelt moments really got me because of Chris and Gal's chemistry, especially the final moment between them as it all comes to a head. Powerful, powerful stuff.

Here's my initial reaction to the movie when I first saw it in early June, if you're interested. My views on the film haven't changed, except that I have only fallen deeper in love with Ms. Gadot (I'm sure you now know that feeling):
    Alright, just got back from Wonder Woman a few hours ago, and am getting my thoughts in order.

I don't have time to write a lot now, but just quick impressions. Fundamentally, this movie had what it needed to have, and what the DC films have lacked to this point: actual hope. The film depicts the horrors of the "war to end all wars," but it also had such an amazing, reverberating heart and vibrancy to it that made you leave it thinking that things would be okay and maybe being a good person does work out, which you don't get in the other films. I was also honestly shocked how many times I was laughing my ass off with the rest of the theater watching this, in a series of audible and frequent gushes of what we were seeing. The dialogue was clever and so well delivered, perfectly timed by the cast with not one weak link in sight.

When Gal was announced for the role of Wonder Woman initially, I was one of the people that honestly didn't really see it. I tried to imagine it, but the image of Jaimie Alexander in the warrior garb just felt like a massive missed opportunity had come and gone, and Marvel had gotten to her first. Then I actually saw Gadot in action in BvS, becoming the redeeming part of it, and thought she could carry a film, hoping I was right about the potential I saw in her. I come from the film tonight so happy to be proven wrong on this casting. Of all that I enjoyed in the film, which was a lot, Diana was what would make the whole thing sink or swim; if Gal failed, the movie failed. I was ecstatic to see that, in every way, she embodied exactly who Wonder Woman is, and why she's such an important figure to everyone, not just women. I was honestly smiling like an idiot the entire film watching this woman act, in awe of her innocence, grace, compassion, strength of character, and insuperable heart, elements that come together to create a stirringly accurate live-action Diana. The character is one of ultimate contradiction, both a warrior and peace-keeper in tandem, and Gal's performance grounds her inner battle between both worlds she occupies. She can fight when it's necessary, but you quickly understand that she prefers to settle things with civility and compassion. A string of powerful moments build her up as this woman and, in short, I quickly found myself falling in love with her.

There were moments where I was on the brink of tears rolling down my eyes, because I was seeing a character who deserved to have many films to her name by this point make her big debut on the big screen in a solo film, doing it with such grace and-yes-wonder. I am happy, though it's overdue, that Wonder Woman was the character to lead the charge for female-led superhero films, as the character is more historically relevant than any other of her gender in the history of the medium she was birthed from. She had to be the first out there, to lead that charge as only she could. There's only a particular amount of images that can make you feel something inside that stirs your heart, and watching a woman charge out of a bunker to defend the unmotivated men of war behind her is one of them. Gal was the absolute light of this movie, incandescent as all hell. When she smiled, it was contagious and you couldn't help but love her, sure that you would be willing to do anything she wanted, without the use of even her mighty lasso.

I enjoyed other things about the film, including its very brave, adult and smart use of storytelling to show us war as it really is, and how it contrasted the evils of man in its many forms with all the good we can do as a species, and the love we can give that redeems the blackness in our collective hearts. The film beautifully juxtaposes Diana's island of paradise with its order and tranquility with the tumultuous "man's world" she throws herself into. We see a woman so pure of love and so open-hearted that she can't understand why humans hate, kill and degrade one another, and why there doesn't exist in our society the equality her own people had strived to uphold. Gal plays these moments exceptionally, and the look she gives as she is confronted with these dark images is in many ways one of an unprejudiced child who hasn't been taught hatred yet, and is curious and downright shocked why people rip each other apart instead of coming together. You can sense her heart bleeding as she reaches out to the hurting masses, wanting only to make things better. From all this, her beautiful legend is born.

I would urge everyone to see this film, as I find it to be a cultural touchstone. We're living in history here for pop culture, and a new change begins with this film for other movies like it. The story, though flawed in places, had such meaning and heart pumped into it by filmmakers and performers that were engaged all the way to make it what it could be. The cast led by the scene stealing pair of a statuesque Gal and the amazingly hilarious and endearing Chris Pine truly marvel, bringing loved characters to life while playing the comedic moments with perfectly timed wit and the moments of emotion with jarring resonance. The film doesn't bullshit you, and doesn't hold back. Horrors of war are witnessed, and faith in good wavers. The ultimate message I take away from the film, however, of love conquering all in the end and the use of compassion and a search for peace as our ultimate tools, will be making me smile through many bad days ahead.

Let's celebrate, our warrior princess is here!

tenor.gif
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,530

Logan Lucky
    I think it may have been the first time I ever got a private screening in theatre... I was the only audience. I thought this was quite entertaining, though nothing special or new. The cast did a good job.

That's only happened to me twice when I watched Alien³ and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I had the cinema to myself on both occasions.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, that happens to me more often than others, I'm sure. But that's all part of living in a small area, where you won't have big crowds most days and not on weekdays or anything either. I like sitting to watch a film with a smaller group, as it just fits my personality. I don't like going to see movies with others, as I like to get into my own zone and really focus on it; you won't ever find me sipping a drink, munching on popcorn or chatting as the movie plays, all big no-nos for me as a film viewer. That's why smaller crowds are preferable to me, as it's usually indicative of less noise, bustling, and a better view of the screen with nobody getting up every two seconds.

I guess in a way movie theaters and I are like priests entering temple, where massive respect is paid upon entering and silence is kept as we behold what we're there to celebrate or feel blessed by. I just don't take my shoes off as I go into the front door. ;)

On both occasions they were both medium size old opera houses, to be honest I often wait for Bluray release I have a decent movie room.

Just watched Wonder Woman Wow that was more emotional than I was expecting, Gadot was raw emotion at times really enjoyed the film.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, great to hear that you enjoyed Wonder Woman. It was the film of the year for me and really did my heart good, not only to see the movie met with such praise and financial success, but also with the assurance that boys and girls would have an actual hero to look up to like I had Spider-Man as a kid. It's the little things, and having heroes and things to have hope in does help when growing up (especially with how things are now).

Two moments really got me as I watched the film, and I knew I was experiencing something powerful.
    Despite seeing it in the trailers so many times, Diana's walk through the "no man's land" was a moment that just hit me like a ton of bricks, and I was so affected by the beauty of it, the hope, the brilliance of the woman and the power she had to make change. Her words, "It's what I'm going to do" sent shivers up my spine.

The more profound and truly captivating second moment was at the end when Diana is furious with mankind for creating war even without Ares, and Steve is left scrambling trying to explain to her why we do bad things to each other, finding no answers himself. It really moved me to see such a raw and honest portrayal of humanity, and the twist that in the end we make our own misery and must find our own way to redeem it. Steve can't explain it just like we can't, and it was poignant to see a solider/spy lost for words when he was trying to figure out why the events that made his job possible had to happen. Steve and Diana's relationship was so perfect in the film and those heartfelt moments really got me because of Chris and Gal's chemistry, especially the final moment between them as it all comes to a head. Powerful, powerful stuff.

Here's my initial reaction to the movie when I first saw it in early June, if you're interested. My views on the film haven't changed, except that I have only fallen deeper in love with Ms. Gadot (I'm sure you now know that feeling):
    Alright, just got back from Wonder Woman a few hours ago, and am getting my thoughts in order.

I don't have time to write a lot now, but just quick impressions. Fundamentally, this movie had what it needed to have, and what the DC films have lacked to this point: actual hope. The film depicts the horrors of the "war to end all wars," but it also had such an amazing, reverberating heart and vibrancy to it that made you leave it thinking that things would be okay and maybe being a good person does work out, which you don't get in the other films. I was also honestly shocked how many times I was laughing my ass off with the rest of the theater watching this, in a series of audible and frequent gushes of what we were seeing. The dialogue was clever and so well delivered, perfectly timed by the cast with not one weak link in sight.

When Gal was announced for the role of Wonder Woman initially, I was one of the people that honestly didn't really see it. I tried to imagine it, but the image of Jaimie Alexander in the warrior garb just felt like a massive missed opportunity had come and gone, and Marvel had gotten to her first. Then I actually saw Gadot in action in BvS, becoming the redeeming part of it, and thought she could carry a film, hoping I was right about the potential I saw in her. I come from the film tonight so happy to be proven wrong on this casting. Of all that I enjoyed in the film, which was a lot, Diana was what would make the whole thing sink or swim; if Gal failed, the movie failed. I was ecstatic to see that, in every way, she embodied exactly who Wonder Woman is, and why she's such an important figure to everyone, not just women. I was honestly smiling like an idiot the entire film watching this woman act, in awe of her innocence, grace, compassion, strength of character, and insuperable heart, elements that come together to create a stirringly accurate live-action Diana. The character is one of ultimate contradiction, both a warrior and peace-keeper in tandem, and Gal's performance grounds her inner battle between both worlds she occupies. She can fight when it's necessary, but you quickly understand that she prefers to settle things with civility and compassion. A string of powerful moments build her up as this woman and, in short, I quickly found myself falling in love with her.

There were moments where I was on the brink of tears rolling down my eyes, because I was seeing a character who deserved to have many films to her name by this point make her big debut on the big screen in a solo film, doing it with such grace and-yes-wonder. I am happy, though it's overdue, that Wonder Woman was the character to lead the charge for female-led superhero films, as the character is more historically relevant than any other of her gender in the history of the medium she was birthed from. She had to be the first out there, to lead that charge as only she could. There's only a particular amount of images that can make you feel something inside that stirs your heart, and watching a woman charge out of a bunker to defend the unmotivated men of war behind her is one of them. Gal was the absolute light of this movie, incandescent as all hell. When she smiled, it was contagious and you couldn't help but love her, sure that you would be willing to do anything she wanted, without the use of even her mighty lasso.

I enjoyed other things about the film, including its very brave, adult and smart use of storytelling to show us war as it really is, and how it contrasted the evils of man in its many forms with all the good we can do as a species, and the love we can give that redeems the blackness in our collective hearts. The film beautifully juxtaposes Diana's island of paradise with its order and tranquility with the tumultuous "man's world" she throws herself into. We see a woman so pure of love and so open-hearted that she can't understand why humans hate, kill and degrade one another, and why there doesn't exist in our society the equality her own people had strived to uphold. Gal plays these moments exceptionally, and the look she gives as she is confronted with these dark images is in many ways one of an unprejudiced child who hasn't been taught hatred yet, and is curious and downright shocked why people rip each other apart instead of coming together. You can sense her heart bleeding as she reaches out to the hurting masses, wanting only to make things better. From all this, her beautiful legend is born.

I would urge everyone to see this film, as I find it to be a cultural touchstone. We're living in history here for pop culture, and a new change begins with this film for other movies like it. The story, though flawed in places, had such meaning and heart pumped into it by filmmakers and performers that were engaged all the way to make it what it could be. The cast led by the scene stealing pair of a statuesque Gal and the amazingly hilarious and endearing Chris Pine truly marvel, bringing loved characters to life while playing the comedic moments with perfectly timed wit and the moments of emotion with jarring resonance. The film doesn't bullshit you, and doesn't hold back. Horrors of war are witnessed, and faith in good wavers. The ultimate message I take away from the film, however, of love conquering all in the end and the use of compassion and a search for peace as our ultimate tools, will be making me smile through many bad days ahead.

tenor.gif

Gals portrayal of Diana's naivity and innocence yet strong and kind gave the film so much depth, I am happy for Gadot as much as anything she is such a genuine person.
    No man's land scene got me seeing the horror of war through Dianas eyes hit hard, it also illustrated the hopelessness of war, Pine was excellent as Steve Trevor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2017 Posts: 28,694

Logan Lucky

tenor.gif

Gals portrayal of Diana's naivity and innocence yet strong and kind gave the film so much depth, I am happy for Gadot as much as anything she is such a genuine person.
    No man's land scene got me seeing the horror of war through Dianas eyes hit hard, it also illustrated the hopelessness of war, Pine was excellent as Steve Trevor.

Absolutely. I don't remember being that moved by a superhero film since Nolan got his hands on Batman, or Captain America: The Winter Soldier outside of that. They just nailed it.
  • Top Secret! (1984)

Usually not a fan of parody films, but this one i enjoyed.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Logan Lucky

tenor.gif

Absolutely. I don't remember being that moved by a superhero film since Nolan got his hands on Batman, or Captain America: The Winter Soldier outside of that. They just nailed it.

Read your review admittedly I thought Gal was a great choice from the start, I think her personality won me over and credit to her for putting the work in physically. Casting characters as iconic as for instance the Trinity is not easy, not many could have done what Gal has done with the character.
    Top Secret! (1984)

Val Kilmer is good in that been years since I saw it, decent film needs a rewatch from me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Either that, or we have confirmation that @Thunderfinger is a robot and can 'switch' himself off by pressing a button located near the rose tattoo on his butt cheek.

Ha ha. No, I run into the projector room, knock the guy out and wreck all the equipment.

Logan Lucky

tenor.gif

Read your review admittedly I thought Gal was a great choice from the start, I think her personality won me over and credit to her for putting the work in physically. Casting characters as iconic as for instance the Trinity is not easy, not many could have done what Gal has done with the character.
    Top Secret! (1984)

Val Kilmer is good in that been years since I saw it, decent film needs a rewatch from me.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've always liked Gal as a person, but I hadn't really seen her in much and didn't know if she could carry a whole film as a performer. I was happy to see that she was more than capable, however, and brought so much natural emotion and life to Diana that was already in her as a person. Her compassion, big heart, hopefulness and beautiful smile in reality are crucial parts of what makes her a great Wonder Woman, as those elements are vital to the peacekeeper side of the character and what she stands for as a woman for all. And we've seen she can pull of the warrior side, like in BvS. I was happy that with the WW film we got to see the heart behind the armor, the woman she is when she isn't facing wartime, and saw how Gal can bring all that to it in addition to the other side.

Logan Lucky

tenor.gif

Top Secret! (1984)

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I've always liked Gal as a person, but I hadn't really seen her in much and didn't know if she could carry a whole film as a performer. I was happy to see that she was more than capable, however, and brought so much natural emotion and life to Diana that was already in her as a person. Her compassion, big heart, hopefulness and beautiful smile in reality are crucial parts of what makes her a great Wonder Woman, as those elements are vital to the peacekeeper side of the character and what she stands for as a woman for all. And we've seen she can pull of the warrior side, like in BvS. I was happy that with the WW film we got to see the heart behind the armor, the woman she is when she isn't facing wartime, and saw how Gal can bring all that to it in addition to the other side.

Gal is a good actress and emotes very well, I remember first seeing her in Fast Five i think it was that one, when I saw her she caught my attention immediately.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Harrison Ford Triple Bill
    Witness (1985), Presumed Innocent (1990) and Frantic (1988)
    rv6SBhA.jpg

In anticipation of Bladerunner 2049, I was in the mood for some vintage Ford badassery. So I decided to view a few of his classic suspense thrillers from the later half of the 20th century.

Witness
    I hadn't seen this film before but knew of it. This is a slow burn and is part thriller and part romance. Directed by Peter Weir (Dead Poet's Society and The Truman Show), it stars Ford as John Book, a Philadelphia cop who is tasked with protecting an eight year old Amish boy and his mother Rachel (Kelly McGillis). The boy 'witnesses' a murder which potentially exposes police corruption, and is now a target. As he realizes that he can't trust anyone, Book decides to hide the boy and mother in the Amish community. He begins to develop feelings for Rachel while there and also gains an understanding of their simple way of life. Danny Glover also stars and the great Maurice Jarre delivers a moody score.

Presumed Innocent
    I've always enjoyed this legal thriller. Directed by Alan Pakula, it boasts a superb cast including Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, Bonnie Bedelia, Paul Winfield and Greta Scacchi. Ford is Rusty Savage, an honest prosescutor who falls for his ambitious co-worker Carolyn Polhemus (Scacchi), who has a reputation for sleeping around. When she is brutally murdered, he is assigned to the case to find her killer, but realizes that all the evidence is pointing to him! The late Julia is quite memorable as defense attorney Alejandro "Sandy" Stern. The film boasts an excellent piano driven score by John Williams (possibly rivaling Dave Grusin's exceptional work for The Firm) and was produced by the late Sydney Pollack (his stamp is all over this). It's an intense and moody film.

Frantic
    I hadn't seen this Roman Polanksi directed effort before either. Ford is Dr. Richard Walker, a surgeon visiting Paris with his wife for a conference. When she disappears from the hotel mysteriously, he is left to try to piece together what happened in an unfamiliar city while navigating local customs and rules. He encounters Michelle (played by Polanski's wife Emmanuelle Seigner), a hip drifter who reluctantly helps him to solve the mystery. This is perhaps the most dated (80's) of the three, but is still an interesting film, due to the European location and Seigner. Ennio Morricone scores.

I enjoyed all three efforts. H. Ford is a legend.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    great triple bill, @bondjames ; love all three, but WITNESS has to be my favourite, followed closely by PRESUMED INNOCENT... I miss the 80s....
    peter wrote: »
    great triple bill, @bondjames ; love all three, but WITNESS has to be my favourite, followed closely by PRESUMED INNOCENT... I miss the 80s....
    The 80's and early to mid 90's definitely had some great thrillers @peter. It's my favourite genre so I'm particularly upset that we hardly get quality stuff like this anymore.
    @bondjames Frantic is a great movie Polanski is one of the few who can make a film that evokes Hitchcock.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , I agree. Polanski is a very versatile director. The Ghost Writer (aka Ghost) is a suspenseful & underrated recent effort by him which I highly recommend. He tends to get great composers involved too so as to heighten the suspense. The guy just knows how to make cerebral thrillers without resorting to excessive action.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    rv6SBhA.jpg

In anticipation of Bladerunner 2049, I was in the mood for some vintage Ford badassery. So I decided to view a few of his classic suspense thrillers from the later half of the 20th century.

Witness
    I hadn't seen this film before but knew of it. This is a slow burn and is part thriller and part romance. Directed by Peter Weir (Dead Poet's Society and The Truman Show), it stars Ford as John Book, a Philadelphia cop who is tasked with protecting an eight year old Amish boy and his mother Rachel (Kelly McGillis). The boy 'witnesses' a murder which potentially exposes police corruption, and is now a target. As he realizes that he can't trust anyone, Book decides to hide the boy and mother in the Amish community. He begins to develop feelings for Rachel while there and also gains an understanding of their simple way of life. Danny Glover also stars and the great Maurice Jarre delivers a moody score.

Presumed Innocent
    I've always enjoyed this legal thriller. Directed by Alan Pakula, it boasts a superb cast including Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, Bonnie Bedelia, Paul Winfield and Greta Scacchi. Ford is Rusty Savage, an honest prosescutor who falls for his ambitious co-worker Carolyn Polhemus (Scacchi), who has a reputation for sleeping around. When she is brutally murdered, he is assigned to the case to find her killer, but realizes that all the evidence is pointing to him! The late Julia is quite memorable as defense attorney Alejandro "Sandy" Stern. The film boasts an excellent piano driven score by John Williams (possibly rivaling Dave Grusin's exceptional work for The Firm) and was produced by the late Sydney Pollack (his stamp is all over this). It's an intense and moody film.

Frantic
    I hadn't seen this Roman Polanksi directed effort before either. Ford is Dr. Richard Walker, a surgeon visiting Paris with his wife for a conference. When she disappears from the hotel mysteriously, he is left to try to piece together what happened in an unfamiliar city while navigating local customs and rules. He encounters Michelle (played by Polanski's wife Emmanuelle Seigner), a hip drifter who reluctantly helps him to solve the mystery. This is perhaps the most dated (80's) of the three, but is still an interesting film, due to the European location and Seigner. Ennio Morricone scores.

Of those, Frantic is probably my favourite and the only one I didn't see at the cinema.

Love Polanski's direction for the film. His sense of humour shines throughout but still making a credible thriller.

Harrison Ford is excellent in it and with Emanuel Seigner (ooh la la!) they make a cool screen couple with great chemistry.

Witness is also a great film which I've seen a few times.

Can't remember much about Presumed innocent except who the killer turned out to be!
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , I agree. Polanski is a very versatile director. The Ghost Writer (aka Ghost) is a suspenseful & underrated recent effort by him which I highly recommend. He tends to get great composers involved too so as to heighten the suspense. The guy just knows how to make cerebral thrillers without resorting to excessive action.

I own Ghost agree it's very good, the end shot was superb great performance by Brosnan one of his best IMO. The 9th Gate is one of my favourite Polanski's films
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883

I own Ghost agree it's very good, the end shot was superb great performance by Brosnan one of his best IMO. The 9th Gate is one of my favourite Polanski's films
    So glad to read someone else loves The Ninth Gate. Very surreal and atmospheric film, with Seigner playing a similar mysterious companion (this time to Depp's character) in Europe and a superb Wojciech Kilar score. Ghost also has an excellent score, by Alexandre Desplat (I'd be thrilled if they get him for Bond 25).
    ---

@LeonardPine , re: Frantic: theres's something about the way he films it which is immediate and yet distant. The camera angles and close ups recalled De Palma's MI film to me for some reason.

Logan Lucky

I mostly go see movies by myself, but that's mainly because my friends aren't as much into movies. I got company for The Beguiled, but despite asking didn't for Logan Lucky and mother!. By the time the movie begins it's all the same to me if there are others around or not.
    I never bring snacks or drinks, either (that's for before or after - I don't need to be eating or drinking all the bloody time), nor do I take toilet breaks... I make sure I don't have to, plus obviously I want to see the whole movie - I'll never understand people who think missing some makes no difference. (Probably the people who whine about plot holes all the time...)
    I assume how people behave in theatres varies a lot in different places. In all my life I've never been to any screening (even when in a sold out big theatre) where people get up a lot - vary rarely anyone goes to toilet, and even more rarely anyone leaves entirely mid-movie. Most movies I've been to I haven't noticed anybody do either, and when somebody does it's one or two people, so not a big deal, either. Chatting during the movie is extremely rare as well. If anyone near me does I'll soon tell them to shut up - usually that helps, but I've very rarely needed to do that.
    So it doesn't make much difference to me if I'm seeing a movie with a few other people or 50 or 300 or 600 other people or whatever. There was no big difference seeing a movie alone, either.
    rv6SBhA.jpg

Witness

Presumed Innocent

Frantic

I saw all of those in the cinema when they came out and liked them all.
  • Ford is one of a kind. One of the only actors I can think of who can do badass and everyman equally well. Indy, Air Force One, his Jack Ryan movies, The Fugitive. So many great films.

So glad to read someone else loves The Ninth Gate. Very surreal and atmospheric film, with Seigner playing a similar mysterious companion (this time to Depp's character) in Europe and a superb Wojciech Kilar score. Ghost also has an excellent score, by Alexandre Desplat (I'd be thrilled if they get him for Bond 25).
    ---

Good call Ghost score is atmospheric, The 9th Gate is such a odd but great film it reminds me of Tintin bizarrely though that proberbly the twins. Alas only have it on dvd the American Bluray is not region free, unable to find a UK Bluray release

---

Good call Ghost score is atmospheric, The 9th Gate is such a odd but great film it reminds me of Tintin bizarrely though that proberbly the twins. Alas only have it on dvd the American Bluray is not region free, unable to find a UK Bluray release
    I should dig into Polanski's catalog more, specifically the more recent stuff. I've liked every film of his I've seen, yet I've not seen any of these.
    @LeonardPine , re: Frantic: theres's something about the way he films it which is immediate and yet distant. The camera angles and close ups recalled De Palma's MI film to me for some reason.[

I can see where you're coming from @bondjames, as it is two very visual directors in a European setting.

I would also recommend Polanski's Bitter Moon (1992) if you haven't seen it.

Emanuel Seigner is in it and it tells a very warped love story, dealing with obsession, lust, jealousy and revenge.

@LeonardPine , thanks I did see that film ages ago. Quite disturbing indeed. Peter Coyote was excellent in it. I agree, very much recommended.
    Bitter Moon is great, and also very sad.
    Glad you've both seen it and liked it! Tragic ending.

Peter Coyote was always a very underrated actor.
    He was in a lot of movies in the 70s.
    He was in a lot of movies in the 70s.

Apparently he auditioned for Indiana Jones....!
    I can t see that working out.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Just watched Rosemary's Baby. Quite a good film, it was entertaining till the end with good tension.
    Strog wrote: »

---

I should dig into Polanski's catalog more, specifically the more recent stuff. I've liked every film of his I've seen, yet I've not seen any of these.

Highly recommended both excellent, just noticed Bitter Moon on Sky Movies one of his films I need to rewatch.