The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited July 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Even worse, If he Refered to the other article, where a bit actress let out her thoughts of a man and a situation, she knew A BIT 10 years ago. What she said, is a logical "what could be a reason" but could be far away from the truth. So puttend him down again for some crap like this is.....
    Yes, true, she wouldn't know, and probably doesn't pretend to know, either. Media just takes any quote from any context and then makes a story out of it to support whatever angle they have. Happens all the time.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I meant that in regards to the article about Catarina Murino. Saw a new post here but didn't notice that article was posted on June 17th, apologies for the confusion.

Gotcha.

I don't think DC wants pity. But I do know, from everything I have read, that the CR shoot was extremely stressful on him. How could it not be? He was hated by millions, and he hadn't even done anything yet. That's what made the performance all the more spectacular, imho.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TripAces wrote: »
    I meant that in regards to the article about Catarina Murino. Saw a new post here but didn't notice that article was posted on June 17th, apologies for the confusion.

Gotcha.

I don't think DC wants pity. But I do know, from everything I have read, that the CR shoot was extremely stressful on him. How could it not be? He was hated by millions, and he hadn't even done anything yet. That's what made the performance all the more spectacular, imho.

Dan's performance in CR is one of the all time greatest middle fingers from one man to a hating populace that I've seen in cinema. Victory or triumph are adjectives that serve only to belittle Dan's masterful work on screen and off, dealing with all the hate with style and class. He could have said, "I bloody told you so," but he didn't and that's why we love him. B-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    TripAces wrote: »

Gotcha.

Dan's performance in CR is one of the all time greatest middle fingers from one man to a hating populace that I've seen in cinema. Victory or triumph are adjectives that serve only to belittle Dan's masterful work on screen and off, dealing with all the hate with style and class. He could have said, "I bloody told you so," but he didn't and that's why we love him. B-)

Yes, you are absolutely correct. He faced the odds (stacked waaaay against him), and won the hand with class and panache.
    And it didn't kill him. Such a relief.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's kind of nice and endearing how being positive in this case really proved to be the best medicine for such ravaging negativity on all sides surrounding Dan's tenure as the character, including in combating certain online collectives set with an agenda against him.

Most amusing to me is that in a few years whenever Dan hangs up his holster, the DanielCraigisNotBond.com site members will be right for the first and only time in regards to the man's work on 007, and not even during his actual tenure. They'll be right that Dan won't be considered Bond anymore as another actor somewhere out there takes over for him, but nothing will change the fact that they, a miserable load of people, decided to join together in a movement of hate as faceless, voiceless keyboard warriors to insult and berate a man who showed the rest of the world for over 10 years why he'll always be James Bond to us, regardless of when he throws down his scepter and offers his throne to another. As with Sean, Dan's work will be talked about forever, because it changed the way we perceived the character on film and that legacy will continue to reverberate decades down the line.
    =D>
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I appreciate most the way Craig developed the character, always keeping him on a steady path. He was the slightly unpredictable loose cannon early in CR. After he lost Vesper he was monosyllabic and detached in QOS (as you would expect). He found some closure and by the time of SF Bond was more mature, steadier, and finally in SP he looked like he was the cocky, in- control agent we saw in the 60s and 70s films.

Brosnan never seemed to have a character plan, but Craig did and it was very impressive.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Othello at the New York Theatre Workshop

Othello will begin previews on Tuesday, November 22and open on Monday, December 12 at New York Theatre Workshop (79 E. 4th Street New York, NY 10003) for a limited run through Wednesday, January 18, 2017.

NYTW is committed to making tickets available to every production via its CheapTix initiative. For Othello, all tickets for the first two performances, plus a limited number of tickets to all other performances, will be available for $25 via mobile lottery in partnership with TodayTix. The entry period for the first two performances will begin at 12:01am EST on Saturday, September 24 and continue through 12pm EST on Friday, September 30, when winners will be offered the opportunity to purchase $25 tickets. TodayTix allows you to enter the mobile lottery via the app, available in the App Store or Google Play Store.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Sorry but Craig added fuel to the fire with his not so smart comments about slashing his wrists. You don't say something like that to the media irrespective of how it was intended and not expect them to jump on it and exploit the hell out of it. Craig really sh*t the bed with that illadvised comment.
    NicNac wrote: »
    I appreciate most the way Craig developed the character, always keeping him on a steady path. He was the slightly unpredictable loose cannon early in CR. After he lost Vesper he was monosyllabic and detached in QOS (as you would expect). He found some closure and by the time of SF Bond was more mature, steadier, and finally in SP he looked like he was the cocky, in- control agent we saw in the 60s and 70s films.

Brosnan never seemed to have a character plan, but Craig did and it was very impressive.

I LOVE CRAIGY-BOY :-* :x
    Straight to the point..impressive Gustav ;)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    18741_show_landscape_large_01.jpg

David Oyelowo (Othello), Director Sam Gold, and Daniel Craig (Iago)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 10,588
    We'll be finding out some Bond news pretty soon, I think. Since Daniel is re emerging into the spotlight with "Othello" it's no doubt the press are going to ask him some questions.
    Craig looks great. I could easily see him doing 2 more Bonds.
    He will certainly do a 5th movie in my opinion, I think a 6th movie is a bit of a stretch?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    He will certainly do a 5th movie in my opinion, I think a 6th movie is a bit of a stretch?

Craig is doing a 5th. Then a new actor comes onboard for the 26th Bond film. It'll be a huge financial disappointment, like Lazenby's OHMSS and Renner's TBL. MGM and EON beg Craig to return one last 6th time :-P.

• edited August 2016 Posts: 382
    Massive overstatement of Craig's impact & importance on here. The reboot would have been a success with nearly anyone. Craig is an ok Bond, like Brosnan actually; great first film and then let down by bad scripts. But let's kid ourselves that he is a great Bond. He simply hasn't got the sophistication. He's a bourne like assassin rather than James Bond. Modern audiences will swallow that but not purists. Brosnan edges it as a better Bond imo.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Craig looks great. I could easily see him doing 2 more Bonds.

ditto
    Massive overstatement of Craig's impact & importance on here. The reboot would have been a success with nearly anyone. Craig is an ok Bond, like Brosnan actually; great first film and then let down by bad scripts. But let's kid ourselves that he is a great Bond. He simply hasn't got the sophistication. He's a bourne like assassin rather than James Bond. Modern audiences will swallow that but not purists. Brosnan edges it as a better Bond imo.

It wouldn't be a Bond forum without the scheduled poster telling us which members are fans and which aren't.

Dan's work and legacy will speak for itself, and the assurance of CR always being in the very top of Bond rankings will keep his phenomenal work at the forefront of people's minds. He's embodies the Fleming touch of Dalton's films, can fight as ferociously as Lazenby did as Bond, has the unflappable and animalistic presence of Sean and the roguish charm of Roger.

He's shown his dedication in front of and behind the camera in his tireless work as one of the franchise's producers, nabbing talent like Mendes and Bardem for projects, then attracting even more class A performers like Bellucci and Seydoux beyond that. He does as many stunts as he's possibly allowed, even when it's not a good idea to, because he wants audiences to see their Bond actually putting in the work on screen, no matter how many of his own bones he breaks for his efforts. He hasn't acted a diva over the role, as an actor in his position so easily could, and his passion for the franchise and the people that make it what it is shines bright. Throughout his era he's proven himself as the most committed and level-headed Bond we've had, and he's more than made himself worthy of being put on a pedestal beside the likes of Sirs Sean and Roger.

Daniel will always have his dissenters-it's only natural in an age of keyboard warriors-but just like the miserable bunch of folks that helmed DanielCraigisNotBond.com to smite him before he even showed the world what he had to offer, they'll always be proven wrong time and again every time his Bond movies are discussed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @obradymobondfanatic7, I do really like you. Very articulate. Thank you,

P
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 382

It wouldn't be a Bond forum without the scheduled poster telling us which members are fans and which aren't.

Dan's work and legacy will speak for itself, and the assurance of CR always being in the very top of Bond rankings will keep his phenomenal work at the forefront of people's minds. He's embodies the Fleming touch of Dalton's films, can fight as ferociously as Lazenby did as Bond, has the unflappable and animalistic presence of Sean and the roguish charm of Roger.

He's shown his dedication in front of and behind the camera in his tireless work as one of the franchise's producers, nabbing talent like Mendes and Bardem for projects, then attracting even more class A performers like Bellucci and Seydoux beyond that. He does as many stunts as he's possibly allowed, even when it's not a good idea to, because he wants audiences to see their Bond actually putting in the work on screen, no matter how many of his own bones he breaks for his efforts. He hasn't acted a diva over the role, as an actor in his position so easily could, and his passion for the franchise and the people that make it what it is shines bright. Throughout his era he's proven himself as the most committed and level-headed Bond we've had, and he's more than made himself worthy of being put on a pedestal beside the likes of Sirs Sean and Roger.

Daniel will always have his dissenters-it's only natural in an age of keyboard warriors-but just like the miserable bunch of folks that helmed DanielCraigisNotBond.com to smite him before he even showed the world what he had to offer, they'll always be proven wrong time and again every time his Bond movies are discussed.

Why the hostile first sentence when I'm only expressing my opinion? People are perfectly entitled to not like Craig as Bond. I happen to think he's 'ok'.

Your gushing does you no favours, and just makes you look like blinded by devotion. Your second paragraph is about his work ethic, which is irrelevant to what I said. Your first paragraph is slightly ridiculous claiming that he's some kind of amalgam of previous Bonds. Finally, there is a difference between fans and purists, as I'm sure you well know.

I don't remember Craig saying he wanted to take the films back to fleming. I do recall him lamenting Bond's 'sexism' and saying he hopes that is got rid of. Also bashing Bond on other occasions. Sounds like he wanted to subvert the character to modern sensibilities, which in my view is turning him into a generic action figure.
    "Modern audiences will swallow that but not purists."

@Comte_de_Bleuchamp, your thick-headed comment deserved a fiercer rebuttal, though if you think that was me being hostile you've rather lost the plot and haven't been around here very long. My comments about Craig are shared by a great sect of the community here, and the positives of his era are rather plain to see for those with the right prescription glasses not made foggy by their so-called "purist" lenses, whatever that's supposed to mean.

I just take umbrage to those who think they are the arbiter of taste and reason when it comes to Bond. And thank bloody heavens that's not the case...
  • "Modern audiences will swallow that but not purists."

@Comte_de_Bleuchamp, your thick-headed comment deserved a fiercer rebuttal, though if you think that was me being hostile you've rather lost the plot and haven't been around here very long. My comments about Craig are shared by a great sect of the community here, and the positives of his era are rather plain to see for those with the right prescription glasses not made foggy by their so-called "purist" lenses, whatever that's supposed to mean.

I just take umbrage to those who think they are the arbiter of taste and reason when it comes to Bond. And thank bloody heavens that's not the case...

Your words betray you: 'sect' is an apt description indeed.

I didn't claim to be an arbiter of taste when it comes to Bond, I was merely stating my opinion. Whereas you can't abide the fact that some people don't see Craig as the best thing since sliced bread and apparently it's 'plain to see for those with the right prescription glasses'. Remind me who is claiming to be the 'arbiter'?

I didn't claim to be an arbiter of taste when it comes to Bond, I was merely stating my opinion. Whereas you can't abide the fact that some people don't see Craig as the best thing since sliced bread and apparently it's 'plain to see for those with the right prescription glasses'. Remind me who is claiming to be the 'arbiter'?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Comte_de_Bleuchamp, I share some of your views on Craig's calibre as James Bond. I personally believe that there will be a reassessment, as there has been with most actors bar Connery, after he leaves the role. Some of that has already begun, even on these boards, post-SP.

However, these so called 'appreciation' threads are sanctuaries of a sort. They aren't necessarily created for 'balance'.

So I recommend continuing this discussion on another thread that may be more suitable.
  • Sorry for the triple post.
    @Comte_de_Bleuchamp, it seems the forum's posting software has betrayed you.

Sect- "A group of people forming a distinct unit within a larger group by virtue of certain refinements or distinctions of belief or practice"/"A group adhering to a distinctive doctrine or to a leader."

As a Bond community, we're made up of several denominations. People pray to the "leaders" of Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig all across the forum, and each group of followers have their own beliefs about why their era's virtues are the best out there.

Didn't think I'd need to bother explaining that...

As for my comments about Craig's era, I think his work speaks for itself. His work on the franchise getting talent in and putting in the work in front of the camera, as well as the moment where he had to actually go in and save QoS's production from faltering, as well as all his other virtues in that regard are clear to see to an objective eye. Those that don't see it are making excuses not to, that's all.

He hasn't made Bond a generic hero either; he's in fact made him a far more interesting hero of tragedy and flaw as originally intended, as well as his blunt instrument sensibilities direct from Fleming's mouth that he displayed at the start of his era before he developed Bond even more as a man. A generic action hero is something Bond used to be, where his character could've been renamed anything else in the movie's script and nothing would've fundamentally changed. A hero who felt nothing and reacted to nothing with anything resembling sincere emotion, and because of that, became beyond boring. Much like with Connery, however, Craig is Bond, but in a more modern context, and I couldn't be happier with what he has done with the role, and as you may not know by this point, I'm far from alone.

If this era is such a big disappointment to you, then I hope we get nothing but massive disappointments from here on out for the rest of the franchise's history, with Bonds 7, 8, 9, 10, etc. ;)