The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,554
    @TripAces, Logan Lucky's filming will take only a month, and Othello won't be showing for very long either (he'll be all wrapped up with it just three weeks into the new year), so the remaining months of this year should be fun for Dan as he jumps from interesting project to interesting project.

True. But I was looking at the prep. I remember rehearsals and prep for Betrayal taking quite a while. And the role of Iago, as he has already confessed, is a killer, lines-wise. My guess is that over the summer, he was already prepping Othello.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I saw Betrayal a few years back and will try to see Othello as well. I believe that tickets to the general public are available in October. I just learned that Cate Blanchett will be on Broadway from Dec-Jan in The Present as well, and I'm going to try to catch her show also.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I do hope they film a performance of Othello and it gets a ltd theatrical release here in the UK.

It seems to happen quite a bit here in the UK, especially with high profile actors in Shakespeare productions.

Maybe even Oyelowo and Dan will consider a new film version if it's a hit on stage, another project for BB to consider.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TripAces wrote: »
    @TripAces, Logan Lucky's filming will take only a month, and Othello won't be showing for very long either (he'll be all wrapped up with it just three weeks into the new year), so the remaining months of this year should be fun for Dan as he jumps from interesting project to interesting project.

True. But I was looking at the prep. I remember rehearsals and prep for Betrayal taking quite a while. And the role of Iago, as he has already confessed, is a killer, lines-wise. My guess is that over the summer, he was already prepping Othello.

Yes. The opening is December 15th, so Dan still has a lot of time, but it is a certainty that he's done tons of groundwork to know his lines and everyone elses' too, which he seems to do naturally as part of his process when he receives his lines.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the "James Blond" headlines to start popping up again.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Charisma.... even in still photographs, DC oozes it. I feel sorry for BB when the time comes to re-cast, cos that's who she's gonna hafta replace!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2016 Posts: 5,986
    Maybe Craig can convince Soderbergh to direct Bond 25.

We're due for a mean-and-lean Bond film anyway, after all the Mendes bloat.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    peter wrote: »
    Charisma.... even in still photographs, DC oozes it. I feel sorry for BB when the time comes to re-cast, cos that's who she's gonna hafta replace!

Pfft people said the same thing about Connery and justifiably moreso; and decades later...here we are.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I saw Betrayal a few years back and will try to see Othello as well. I believe that tickets to the general public are available in October. I just learned that Cate Blanchett will be on Broadway from Dec-Jan in The Present as well, and I'm going to try to catch her show also.

@bondjames
    Lucky you. I caught Betrayal, but I won't be able to get to NYC for Othello.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Pfft people said the same thing about Connery and justifiably moreso; and decades later...here we are.

At the time though, the sky might as well have been falling as Sean began walking out. It must have been a crazy anxious time as a 60s Bond fan to realize that the only man you knew to be James Bond was going to actually be replaced with a complete unknown from Australia. With no other actors to compare him to, Sean was instantly the embodiment of the character and the only person who could play him in the public consciousness. Lazenby didn't really have a chance, and thanks to his rubbish agent, the curtain closed on him not long before the show had begun.
    =D>
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 676
    echo wrote: »

I like this idea. Apparently Soderbergh has been approached to direct Bond before, but things didn't work out: http://collider.com/steven-soderbergh-james-bond-haywire-2-kafka/

He's also a great fan of OHMSS and has written about it here: http://extension765.com/sdr/2-most-irrelevant-no-1
  • The beach fight at the end of Soderbergh's HAYWIRE (2011) is an obvious homage to OHMSS.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Milovy wrote: »

I like this idea. Apparently Soderbergh has been approached to direct Bond before, but things didn't work out: http://collider.com/steven-soderbergh-james-bond-haywire-2-kafka/

He's also a great fan of OHMSS and has written about it here: http://extension765.com/sdr/2-most-irrelevant-no-1

Well, let's not forget, Daniel Craig is now co-producer of the Bond films too. And since he's shooting "Logan Lucky", an action-thriller involving a heist and a lot of GTE racing, I start 'going banco' on Daniel convincing Steven Soderbergh to helm the next Bond film.

I love his films, though my favorite film probably is "Traffic". An epic mosaic story about drug trafficking. Which as of 2016 is quite topical again. He deservedly won an Oscar for his work on that film.

Here's a nice editorial of his films:
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/total-recall-steven-soderberghs-best-movies/
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    TripAces wrote: »

@bondjames
    Lucky you. I caught Betrayal, but I won't be able to get to NYC for Othello.
    @TripAces, I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch it (it will depend on the work schedule of course), but I'll certainly try. I didn't think initially that tickets would be generally available as this is a special NYTW production, but it appears they will be, come Oct 5th.
    Well DC looks certainly different in Logan Lucky!!! Good on him i say and have some fun!
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,554
    Milovy wrote: »

Well, let's not forget, Daniel Craig is now co-producer of the Bond films too. And since he's shooting "Logan Lucky", an action-thriller involving a heist and a lot of GTE racing, I start 'going banco' on Daniel convincing Steven Soderbergh to helm the next Bond film.

I love his films, though my favorite film probably is "Traffic". An epic mosaic story about drug trafficking. Which as of 2016 is quite topical again. He deservedly won an Oscar for his work on that film.

Here's a nice editorial of his films:
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/total-recall-steven-soderberghs-best-movies/

If this were to happen, the anti-Thomas Newman crowd would explode.

Newman is in Soderbergh's small circle of composers he collaborates with! :))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I've gone from wanting Craig back, to wanting him to step down, and now I'm back to wanting him to return.

The reason is I was totally sold on Craig from CR through to SF. He had re-invented Bond and given us a fresh, dynamic take. I remember after CR thinking that it was like we had never had a Bond film before. Then he seemed to try and offer a traditional take on Bond - and he wasn't suited to that. I like SP but I'm not totally sold on Craig in the film. And I rate him second behind Connery overall!

But now, looking at the clambering masses hoping to replace him, I'm more and more sure that Craig is the best option for Bond 25. Finish his time line off. He's a great Bond, one more and he will be a sort of Connery/Moore legend. It's what he deserves.
    Well said! Am not impressed at all with the names that are bandied about as his replacement! I really want Craig back, and those insisting on him going based on his performance in SP (which i dont see myself! It was still a solid ,commanding appearance imho ) are off the mark! We know he's great as Bond, its a bigger risk looking for someone who could be a disaster as Bond! As Connery once noted, its not that easy a role to play! Be careful what you wish for!
    Seconded above the last two comments.
    Give him a better script and I'm open to him coming back, but not at $75m a pop (there are far better uses for that money imho).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just think of the explosion they could make.
  • So if a good script is the driving force behind a 25th Bond film, then why all the fuzz about who's going to be the next Bond. Just trust the franchise a bit more, and most likely the new, 25th Bond film will be much better than SP. Considering Craig's proven acting skills, Bond #25 therefore could perhaps be an even better send-off than SP. It's time Craig leaves the franchise on a critically acclaimed high note, as opposed to Connery's, Moore's and Brosnan's last Bond flicks.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Give him a better script and I'm open to him coming back, but not at $75m a pop (there are far better uses for that money imho).

d72.gif
    Why on earth are we discussing in earnest another bogus rumor? Dry spell symptoms, I assume.
    Now imdb has this rumor almost as if it's official news. I sure wish EON would step up to the plate and announce something soon.
    For 150 million you can make some excellent movie that would be better money spend than paying Craig for 2 more. Totally a waste of money.

That said if Craig would pick up the offer he'd be set for life and could do about anything he wants to acting-wise and the payment be damned.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I think it is certain that BB will try to "buy" DC for at least another film.

With the two most successful Bond movies in 2015/2012 why wouldn't she pay him whatever is needed. And we all know EON has no control over cost expenditure.

With SP Craig finally showed that he could have the potential to come very close to Connery. But another 10 movies with him wouldn't elevate him to the same level or even higher, Connery is unrivalled.

Personally I want Craig to return in 2017/2018. It would be fabulous to have him doing his last Bond movie for this 50th Birthday.

But BB should definitely spend some more money and get Martin Campbell to do Craig's last. That would provide the greatest book-end movies ever in a series.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree on Campbell, but I don't see him returning to do a sequel to SP with Waltz and Seydoux. Frankly, I don't see any director worth his/her salt wanting to pick this story up and take it to the finish line, apart from Mendes of course.

So if it's Craig and a new director, I believe it is more likely to be a standalone film. If that's improbable to some, then I propose that a new actor and director are more likely.