The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• edited June 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Maybe he turned it down. Because WHEN would he do it?

But this Damian is rather unattractive and really weird looking - to me anyway. What were they thinking?

Craig wouldn't turn down Quentin.

Bond doesn't start filming till December, the Tarantino film starts filming next month. Even Bond 25's director is squeezing in another project before. Meanwhile, Craig sits idle.

If it wasn't for Bond, Craig would be dangerously close to be being washed up. I can't wait for the Craig era to end. I was a huge fan as well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Is that Beatles movie still filming?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Damian Lewis is an excellent actor. I'm a huge fan and I look forward to Quentin's latest effort.
    I suppose now more then ever, his life us not first and foremost about films.

I can him turning dowm QT quite easily.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd love to see a Craig performance akin to the one in Logan Lucky, only in Tarantino's universe. I bet he'd have a lot of fun doing a QT movie. Tarantino still has one more to go, so maybe by that point (and when Craig will be done as Bond) he could appear in Tarantino's last.
    Lewis will kill it. He can really go nuts when he has to, which will suit a Tarantino universe. He also can dial it back and be more 'normal'.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    @Pierce2Daniel Just as shocked as you are. In my mind, it really is a no brainer.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    @Pierce2Daniel Just as shocked as you are. In my mind, it really is a no brainer.

Thats why I believe, he might have turned it down. Think logic - he will be away gor most of the babys first weeks. With 48 its a risico, so at least he can be there for her Now. And most likely wants to be.
    Plus he probably is wearing his co prod hat and busy doing whatever is possible at this state.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Craig would turn down Tarantino, but not Soderbergh?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I doubt he would. Perhaps Craig simply wasn't approached for the role.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Thats why I believe, he might have turned it down. Think logic - he will be away gor most of the babys first weeks. With 48 its a risico, so at least he can be there for her Now. And most likely wants to be.

But he wasn't even on the list of front runners for the Steve McQueen biopic that's been knocking about for years.
    Why are people thinking he was offered the role to begin with? He doesn't look like Steve McQueen any more. Perhaps about 10 years ago but certainly not now, and not McQueen circa 1969, which is when the film is set.

But he wasn't even on the list of front runners for the Steve McQueen biopic that's been knocking about for years.

Didnt know sich a list is known. But then - ok.

@Mendes - try logic - then you might come to the conclusion, that your post bares all sense.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Why are people thinking he was offered the role to begin with? He doesn't look like Steve McQueen any more. Perhaps about 10 years ago but certainly not now, and not McQueen circa 1969, which is when the film is set.

But Damian does? He hardly looks any younger. Neither did Mc Queen most of his career. He never had that young face, like DC.

But Damian does? He hardly looks any younger. Neither did Mc Queen most of his career. He never had that young face, like DC.
    Damian doesn't look like McQueen either, but as I noted he is an exceptional actor and could pull the role off if need be.

My point is that Craig doesn't look as much like McQueen now as he did when he was cast as Bond. Although SM had a naturally craggy visage he did look young, like Craig did, earlier in his life. There was a youthful ruggedness to him.

I just don't think we can assume that he was offered the role. Craig is James Bond to many viewers across the world now. The McQueen conversation was more common when he was a relative unknown cast in the role. I hardly hear of that comparison these days.
    What really interests me is, why would QT want ti make this film? Mc Queen is hardly known to ghe younger generation and Biotops often get Oscar but not BO.
    What really interests me is, why would QT want ti make this film? Mc Queen is hardly known to ghe younger generation and Biotops often get Oscar but not BO.
    It's not a biopic of McQueen. It's a story about the neighbours of Sharon Tate at the time of the notorious Manson murder as far as I'm aware. The McQueen role is a sort of cameo as per the article.
    Thanks. Couldnt open the article. So he is just kn it, but not about him.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 15,818
    I'm not even remotely bothered that Damien Lewis got the Steve McQueen role and Craig didn't. True Craig is past the era of resembling McQueen in his prime. I think Lewis looks alright for the part. It's not like Tarentino cast John Travolta as McQueen or Leo.
    I'm just glad Craig is still on track for B25 this December.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Didn't we just found out a couple weeks ago that Daniel is currently the highest paid actor in Hollywood? Yeah, thats the guy i would want to book for a 5 minute cameo in my movie... not.
    In all honesty, I don't think Quentin ever seriously considered him. Daniel would overshadow the role. You want people to go "omg is that Steve McQueen?" and not "hey what is James Bond doing in this movie?"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig would have been good 5 years ago but Lewis is a better choice both in looks and actingwise for the role.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    McQueen was in his 30s at the time.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Didn't we just found out a couple weeks ago that Daniel is currently the highest paid actor in Hollywood? Yeah, thats the guy i would want to book for a 5 minute cameo in my movie... not.
    In all honesty, I don't think Quentin ever seriously considered him. Daniel would overshadow the role. You want people to go "omg is that Steve McQueen?" and not "hey what is James Bond doing in this movie?"

He never was JB in any of his other films. Not even close. He is good enough an actor for that.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,333
    It's not a biopic of McQueen. It's a story about the neighbours of Sharon Tate at the time of the notorious Manson murder as far as I'm aware. The McQueen role is a sort of cameo as per the article.
    Surely one could say the same of Sharon Tate though? There's also a pretty big connection to McQueen because Charles Manson sent McQueen a movie script that he'd written as a young hopeful. But when McQueen's Solar Productions sent back the script with a polite "Not interested," Manson went crazy and decided to seek his own revenge. Also, McQueen was meant to be at the house the night of the murders. The night before the murders, Jay Sebring had come to McQueen's house to give Steve a hair cut. The two men agreed to have dinner with Sharon Tate the next night at Sebring's house. Instead, McQueen decided to forgo the dinner and spend the night with his latest conquest instead. It was McQueen's cheating on his wife that saved his life that night. In the following weeks, McQueen grew increasingly paranoid, keeping a loaded handgun on him at all times and installing hi-tech home security. There's more to the story, but I won't spoil it as I'm sure it'll be included within the movie. The other thing I will add is that when Charles Manson was finally apprehended 2 months later, his celebrity kill list included McQueen, Frank Sinatra, Liz Taylor, Richard Burton and Tom Jones. Each celebrity was to be killed in a unique and gruesome way. It just so happened their target that night was McQueen himself, who wisely didn't show up at his friend's house.

As Tarantino's pic has been referred to as a Pulp Fiction-like tapestry of stories set in L.A. in the summer of 1969, at the height of hippy Hollywood, I'm sure it'll also weave in McQueen's involvement, otherwise why include him?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

But this Damian is rather unattractive and really weird looking - to me anyway. What were they thinking?

Bond doesn't start filming till December, the Tarantino film starts filming next month. Even Bond 25's director is squeezing in another project before. Meanwhile, Craig sits idle.

If it wasn't for Bond, Craig would be dangerously close to be being washed up. I can't wait for the Craig era to end. I was a huge fan as well.

Everyone is different. After SF, DC had/has enough money to live very, very comfortably. I can't blame him for choosing Broadway over Hollywood and taking life easy. He is a very private person, loves his family, loves taking life nice and easy. Bond has allowed him to do that. It's not up to us to decide for him how many non-Bond movies he is supposed to make. For all intents and purposes, he's living the dream.
    Fascinating read @bondsum. I wasn't aware of any of that and the film is potentially even more intriguing to me now as a result.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Yes, @bondjames, it's in McQueen's own book Portrait of An American Rebel, which is where I first discovered how close the actor was to being the main victim on that terrible night. Until then I always assumed it was just Dennis Wilson from the Beach Boys that was more involved with Manson. After all, it was Wilson that introduced Charles Manson to the Byrds' producer Terry Melcher, whose home he had rented to Roman Polanski and his wife, actress Sharon Tate, where the murder would take place. Though it was Jay Sebring (played by Emile Hirsch in the Tarantino movie) that would take care of Sharon Tate when Polanski was away directing abroad who happened to be McQueen's drug supplier and would fix him up with girls. I made a slight error in my previous post: It wasn't Sebring's house, it was Polanksi's rented house that the murders took place.

According to the McQueen book, Manson was to have Sinatra seduced by a young female member of The Manson Family and be castrated while having sex with her. The Burtons, it was decided, would be boiled alive. McQueen was to die (bizarrely) by his own hand. Something that some psychic had told him would happen. Of course, it's hard to know exactly what Tarantino has planned and how close it will be to the actual events.

McQueen would have been aged about 39 when this happened so it's not entirely unfeasible that Craig couldn't have played him. However, Tarantino always has a certain actor in mind for a role and due to his brilliant scripts doesn't ever have a problem getting who he wants. My guess is he always had Damian Lewis in mind for the role, despite Craig baring a passing resemblance to McQueen himself.
    TripAces wrote: »

Everyone is different. After SF, DC had/has enough money to live very, very comfortably. I can't blame him for choosing Broadway over Hollywood and taking life easy. He is a very private person, loves his family, loves taking life nice and easy. Bond has allowed him to do that. It's not up to us to decide for him how many non-Bond movies he is supposed to make. For all intents and purposes, he's living the dream.

Yes, this.

We can't even know what he'd be doing if it wasn't for Bond - if he no longer had that job... or what he would have done all these years if he never had this role in the first place. So saying he'd be close to being washed up if it wasn't for Bond doesn't make much sense to me.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, @bondjames, it's in McQueen's own book Portrait of An American Rebel, which is where I first discovered how close the actor was to being the main victim on that terrible night. Until then I always assumed it was just Dennis Wilson from the Beach Boys that was more involved with Manson. After all, it was Wilson that introduced Charles Manson to the Byrds' producer Terry Melcher, whose home he had rented to Roman Polanski and his wife, actress Sharon Tate, where the murder would take place. Though it was Jay Sebring (played by Emile Hirsch in the Tarantino movie) that would take care of Sharon Tate when Polanski was away directing abroad who happened to be McQueen's drug supplier and would fix him up with girls. I made a slight error in my previous post: It wasn't Sebring's house, it was Polanksi's rented house that the murders took place.

According to the McQueen book, Manson was to have Sinatra seduced by a young female member of The Manson Family and be castrated while having sex with her. The Burtons, it was decided, would be boiled alive. McQueen was to die (bizarrely) by his own hand. Something that some psychic had told him would happen. Of course, it's hard to know exactly what Tarantino has planned and how close it will be to the actual events.

McQueen would have been aged about 39 when this happened so it's not entirely unfeasible that Craig couldn't have played him. However, Tarantino always has a certain actor in mind for a role and due to his brilliant scripts doesn't ever have a problem getting who he wants. My guess is he always had Damian Lewis in mind for the role, despite Craig baring a passing resemblance to McQueen himself.
    There was obviously far more to this horrific tragedy than I had previously realized. I didn't know other famous people were potentially at risk. I look forward to seeing how Tarantino handles the subject matter. On the face of it, this seems like something that could be right up his alley, but it will still be challenging to get it right.