Coming soon to TV screens- The upcoming TV shows thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    My tv can no longer receive signals. I don t care. Just as well.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 684
    Of all the streaming services, Netflix offers the best original stuff, for sure.

Back when they split off the DVD business from the streaming, I (like most everyone else) dropped the rentals and decided to just pay for the Instant watch. The big draw was the wealth of shows/films they made available, er, instantly.

Now, as they've slowly started to lose the rights to stream many shows/films, and are focusing on turning the streaming side into basically a Netflix channel, I've re-joined their rebranded DVD-by-mail service again (and am loving it).

I reactivate the streaming plan every few months to catch up on the original content I'm interested in, then cancel again. I'll continue to do this until they start forcing people into yearly subscriptions, which I think is probably inevitable.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    How much do you chaps pay for Netflix and does it come through the TV or do you have to buy an item as with Amazon Prime (which I have at the moment ) ?
    @barryt007 In addition to the ways Creasy mentioned above, you can also buy a little dongle, such as the Amazon Fire stick or the Google Chromecast, that plugs into the HDMI slot on the back of your TV, basically converting it into a smart tv.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I accepted long ago that I'll never have enough time for all of it. It's physically impossible. I could do absolutely nothing for the rest of my days but watch shows and film and I still wouldn't see it all.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 Yes, Netflix's 80 planned films in 2018 do not include their TV series.
    @Creasy47 Yes, Netflix's 80 planned films in 2018 do not include their TV series.

Ridiculous. Totally warrants that price hike. I can only see them increasing the subscription price by a dollar or two in the next few years, as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 I can't find any numbers for how shows they will release in 2018, but I did find an article saying Netflix will release 30 of their own animated TV shows next year.
    Which still doesn't include any live action shows. Wild. Well I'd heavily suggest you check out it someday @barryt007, though I'm not sure just how much the library will vary from country to country. I know some people like to utilize a VPN to access the library of other countries, which gets them different shows/movies to enjoy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Ridiculous. Totally warrants that price hike. I can only see them increasing the subscription price by a dollar or two in the next few years, as well.

And it's one of the rare cases where I don't mind paying that price, as I know the kinds of things it'll support.

Has anyone here checked out Longmire yet? It started out at A&E in the states and got canceled on a cliffhanger after its third season, but Netflix picked it up and it will conclude with a sixth and final season this coming November. It's probably my favorite of the original content on Netflix, and for fans of westerns, this one plays with that style while telling really powerful stories that weave in Native American culture and strong character writing. The main protagonist has quickly become one of my all-time favorites, a quiet cowboy with old values who tries to survive a modern world.
    Netflix has just renewed American Vandal for a 2nd season, due out in 2018.
    I've never seen it, didn't seem up my alley, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Must be something special if Netflix picked it up (was the same case with The Killing, so glad Netflix picked it up).

You want a proper Native American-driven bit of entertainment, check out this year's Wind River when you get the chance. Absolutely refreshing to see Native Americans in a movie outside of some generic "Indian Chief" role.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've never seen it, didn't seem up my alley, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Must be something special if Netflix picked it up (was the same case with The Killing, so glad Netflix picked it up).

You want a proper Native American-driven bit of entertainment, check out this year's Wind River when you get the chance. Absolutely refreshing to see Native Americans in a movie outside of some generic "Indian Chief" role.

That's probably my favorite thing about Longmire: the Indian characters are actual characters, and not only is their culture respectfully integrated into the stories, the immoral acts of both their side and the white colonialists is often cited. It's a damn good show that really focuses on the gray of morality and how people get caught up in bad while trying to do good.

That's probably my favorite thing about Longmire: the Indian characters are actual characters, and not only is their culture respectfully integrated into the stories, the immoral acts of both their side and the white colonialists is often cited. It's a damn good show that really focuses on the gray of morality and how people get caught up in bad while trying to do good.

Does it have proper pacing? Because I don't even bother with shows that are injecting 20+ episodes into a season, it turns into 90% filler with an "emotionally impactful" final episode or two.

Does it have proper pacing? Because I don't even bother with shows that are injecting 20+ episodes into a season, it turns into 90% filler with an "emotionally impactful" final episode or two.

@Creasy47, that's another reason I love the show: it's got 10 episodes a season, so each new set of episodes has a distinct tone and goal that is carried out without filler to them. After watching so many shows made in the UK it was great to see an American show take inspiration and tell those kinds of stories with a much greater focus. It's what I look for in shows now, and instantly move other ones down the list that have over 20 episodes a season.

When Longmire finishes it will probably have around the number of episodes Breaking Bad did, with the same attention to focused storytelling. It's hitting that sweet spot of 5 to 6 seasons that a lot of the best shows go out on before they spoil or overstay their welcome. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up, and knowing your tastes you'd enjoy the show too.

But maybe watch Daredevil first. ;)
    Ten is pretty much the perfect number in terms of episode count for me. Netflix and HBO have spoiled me with this expectation. Anything drastically over isn't doing itself any favors.

I may have to give Longmire a shot some day then.
    Would like nothing more than finding a new show on Netflix to get crazy about, but looking at the releases from the last year-year and a half, nothing at all fancies me. Actually went so far as to canceling my subscription, as I hadn't used Netflix in about four months. On top of that, there are several shows I enjoyed watching, that Netflix have removed.

Until Au service de la France (A Very Secret Service) returns for a second season I can manage without – spending more time watching Premier League-matches during weekends, and Champions League/Europa League in weekdays.
    Netflix's House of Cards is canceled after today's Kevin Spacey allegations. The upcoming sixth season will be its last:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/house-of-cards-canceled-kevin-spacey-scandal-netflix-season-six-1202197604/
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    That Jack O Connell western thing on the last page looks great. I'll definitely check that out.
    Netflix's House of Cards is canceled after today's Kevin Spacey allegations. The upcoming sixth season will be its last:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/house-of-cards-canceled-kevin-spacey-scandal-netflix-season-six-1202197604/

So if all this hadn't come out when exactly were they planning on ending it? Because it's been going downhill ever since the second finished imo. Still haven't been able to bring myself to finish the last series.

Who needs to watch horror films this month when the most horrific shit has been in our reality. These are demoralizing days.

Who needs to watch horror films this month when the most horrific shit has been in our reality. These are demoralizing days.

Well you can rule Kevin Spacey out forever being a Bond villain now! That's for sure!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I'm sorry to read this. Extremely disappointing news as I'm a huge Spacey fan and love this show.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I can only hope that when the dam bursts on even more of these sexual assault/misconduct cases, a lot of what is rumored to be happening and who are rumored to be the big players turn out to be false. If not, there's a lot of icons that will burn and fall from grace like we've never seen before when their "other selves" become revealed. Just reading about it, what's happened in the past, what has been gotten away with and what is said to still go on from the very top of the heap, I get sick to my stomach.
    In a change of pace from yesterday's announcement, production on the sixth season of House of Cards is now suspended indefinitely until they figure out their next move:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/house-of-cards-production-shut-down-suspended-indefinitely-following-kevin-spacey-allegations-netflix-series-1202198465/
    In a change of pace from yesterday's announcement, production on the sixth season of House of Cards is now suspended indefinitely until they figure out their next move:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/house-of-cards-production-shut-down-suspended-indefinitely-following-kevin-spacey-allegations-netflix-series-1202198465/

With the news of what had reportedly been going on on the HoC set at times regarding Spacey and those around him (young interns, PAs), I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any season 6. I feel it's going to be impossible for him to walk this one back, and rightfully so.

With the news of what had reportedly been going on on the HoC set at times regarding Spacey and those around him (young interns, PAs), I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any season 6. I feel it's going to be impossible for him to walk this one back, and rightfully so.

I can only imagine the ambiance on set now being incredibly cold and uncomfortable for everyone involved. I almost wonder if Netflix is questioning whether or not pressing on and spending more money for a final season would be a waste, as people might run an anti-Spacey campaign and not even watch it. Might be smart for them to can it now, on top of a lot of people saying they feel the show has already run its course.

Time will tell, I suppose. I know they're now eyeballing these spin-offs, though I'm not sure what type of audience they'd have for those.

I can only imagine the ambiance on set now being incredibly cold and uncomfortable for everyone involved. I almost wonder if Netflix is questioning whether or not pressing on and spending more money for a final season would be a waste, as people might run an anti-Spacey campaign and not even watch it. Might be smart for them to can it now, on top of a lot of people saying they feel the show has already run its course.

Time will tell, I suppose. I know they're now eyeballing these spin-offs, though I'm not sure what type of audience they'd have for those.

Well, the way these things usually go, and how I see it going here, is Kevin being axed from the show completely. Since he won't be able to be written out Netflix might can the show too, or try to salvage it with the other cast and crew that are left. But I don't see him getting anywhere near that set again, just as I wouldn't expect anyone to be willing to work with him. We still don't know how many knew what he was doing just on that set alone, but the actions he took perhaps could've been pointed out and stopped.

There's a lot of allegations out there now, and have been for a long time with him, so it's just a matter of finding out what claims are true. Sadly a pattern can be seen in his behavior at times through the decades, though it's hard to say how far he went with any of his targets or how much was consensual. The overriding theme seems to simply be Kevin making people really uncomfortable and coming on too strong, and other cases him demanding certain...services. We'll have to see what sticks in the slog to come, though I'd bet money that he'll have company in the spotlight soon enough.
    Well they've already been filming for quite some time, so it'll either endure a ridiculous amount of editing to cut him out entirely (doesn't seem feasible or logical), they'll keep his footage and not have him return (provided they can work the story into what's already been shot), have him return to finish up (seems unlikely if they're canceling the series after this one), or cancel it entirely (fairly likely, I'd say, which also allows them to allocate that money into spinoffs if that's what the showrunners/Netflix would prefer).
    Well they've already been filming for quite some time, so it'll either endure a ridiculous amount of editing to cut him out entirely (doesn't seem feasible or logical), they'll keep his footage and not have him return (provided they can work the story into what's already been shot), have him return to finish up (seems unlikely if they're canceling the series after this one), or cancel it entirely (fairly likely, I'd say, which also allows them to allocate that money into spinoffs if that's what the showrunners/Netflix would prefer).

Oh, I didn't know they'd already started filming. I sympathize with the garbage position Netflix are in right now.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it always seems hard to come by production news for particular Netflix shows; I had only heard about it a month or so ago when there was that shooting in Baltimore - filming was underway incredibly close by, so they had to shut it down for the day.

Definitely a garbage position for Netflix. It must suck, but I don't see this affecting their subscription numbers or viewership at all. Whether we get one final season, a spinoff, or nothing else at all, they'll press on with even more original works.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it always seems hard to come by production news for particular Netflix shows; I had only heard about it a month or so ago when there was that shooting in Baltimore - filming was underway incredibly close by, so they had to shut it down for the day.

Definitely a garbage position for Netflix. It must suck, but I don't see this affecting their subscription numbers or viewership at all. Whether we get one final season, a spinoff, or nothing else at all, they'll press on with even more original works.

They shouldn't take too much criticism, if they didn't have any idea what was going on. If Spacey was king on set however and got what he wanted, things will get complicated.