Coming soon to TV screens- The upcoming TV shows thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,465
    This looks pretty damn solid actually:

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Nothing is sacred

I wish they had brought back Goodnight Sweetheart instead, especially after "Many Happy Returns".
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

That looks great. I'm a fan of the books and loved the first few movies but I thought the reboot attempts (first Ben Affleck then the one a couple of years ago) felt really flat. But this actually looks really cool and the new actor they've got seems like a great bit of casting. The Grand Tour got my interest but with this coming out too I think I'm finally gonna have to get Amazon Prime.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Nothing is sacred

I wish they had brought back Goodnight Sweetheart instead, especially after "Many Happy Returns".

I really enjoyed that show you know I never saw the finale, though it repeats on one of the channels GOLD I think.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Nothing is sacred

I really enjoyed that show you know I never saw the finale, though it repeats on one of the channels GOLD I think.

You should definitely try and watch it. In a way, Many Happy Returns is a fitting second send off, I wont say anymore, but do watch it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Nothing is sacred

You should definitely try and watch it. In a way, Many Happy Returns is a fitting second send off, I wont say anymore, but do watch it.

I'll look on Sky and see if the boxset is on there

Nothing is sacred

Shocked they had the nerve to remake this? They should have left "Open all Hours" alone too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    -WM_strip_DK_20120901.jpeg
    Or this one. And countless others.
  • Or this one. And countless others.

Oh yeah I know there's a whole cliche to do with that, I just used the Gavin and Stacey example because if you watch to the end (about two minutes in?) armed police do actually show up and arrest him for jumping through security.
    I watched it. This was just too funny not to post.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,465
    Damn, Netflix is killing it lately. Crazy to think that in just a few years they'll likely be producing dozens of original shows and films per month.

I'm in for this one. Some impressive revolver action from O'Connell there, too.

EDIT:
    @Creasy47 the first original show by Netflix was House of Cards? Season 1 of that is not even 5 years old yet, and now they're releasing films, documentaries, miniseries and tv series left, right and center. They have Stranger Things tomorrow, The Punisher in 3 weeks, and Godless in 4 weeks. Just insane.
    I haven't seen any of the Marvel TV shows - and I don't know if that's a bad thing if I decided to do this, but I may have to check out The Punisher. Not sure if it won't make any sense since I've seen none of the other series, but I've always loved the character and I'm a huge fan of Bernthal's.
    @Creasy47 check this out! I looked at Netflix's schedule, and they have this miniseries coming out in December (alongside season 2 of The Crown):

I think I saw that trailer a little while back and forgot about it. MK Ultra and Errol Morris? Say no more.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Indeed!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Definitely crazy to think of how far Netflix has come in such a short time, from a decent enough streamer with a lot of junky content to a full-fledged internet "network" with award winning/nominated series and films. I'm happy to pay monthly to support this kind of creative revolution in the world, as regular TV died on me years ago.
    I haven't seen any of the Marvel TV shows - and I don't know if that's a bad thing if I decided to do this, but I may have to check out The Punisher. Not sure if it won't make any sense since I've seen none of the other series, but I've always loved the character and I'm a huge fan of Bernthal's.

@Creasy47, I've fallen behind on the Marvel stuff, but you should definitely see the first 2 seasons of Daredevil. The first season simply because I think it'd be up your alley in a lot of ways, and season two because that is the one where you meet Frank Castle/The Punisher and learn everything about him. Without this context on who the man is, I think watching the original show for the character will make you lose a lot.

If you like The Raid, you should see some of the fights in this series, and that's not even to touch on the great characters and writing. More than anything you absolutely cannont miss Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk/Kingpin in season one. Just phenomenal, and one of the best modern day villains I've seen where few exist.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's funny, because I actually tried the first season of Daredevil when it aired years back, and I got to an apartment fight scene that people were losing their minds over, but it was one that was simply horribly choreographed to me. Several instances of him swinging at someone (or vice versa) and blatantly missing even though it "connects" with them and they go flying. Took me right out of it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's funny, because I actually tried the first season of Daredevil when it aired years back, and I got to an apartment fight scene that people were losing their minds over, but it was one that was simply horribly choreographed to me. Several instances of him swinging at someone (or vice versa) and blatantly missing even though it "connects" with them and they go flying. Took me right out of it.

I enjoyed that scene, but the show is more than stunts. The characters, the themes, how it's all built to a climax, etc. I'd give it another shot for sure, as you're going to be out of the loop when the Punisher show comes around if you don't know how Frank became the man he did. If you like Bernthal, season 2 has to be seen as he is probably the best part about it. It also becomes scary how right Frank is about the world, and how lost in ideology Murdock can be, which creates the most dramatic moments of all.

I enjoyed that scene, but the show is more than stunts. The characters, the themes, how it's all built to a climax, etc. I'd give it another shot for sure, as you're going to be out of the loop when the Punisher show comes around if you don't know how Frank became the man he did. If you like Bernthal, season 2 has to be seen as he is probably the best part about it. It also becomes scary how right Frank is about the world, and how lost in ideology Murdock can be, which creates the most dramatic moments of all.

I think it was simply a mixture of that scene rubbing me the wrong way after hearing so much praise, on top of not having time for it all. I really want to give them a go, because that'll lead to me having a solid 100 episodes worth throughout all of them to enjoy, plus the upcoming The Punisher. I might have to give it a go after this new season of Stranger Things.

What's the one people seemed to unanimously not enjoy as much as the others, was it Iron Fist?
    How much do you chaps pay for Netflix and does it come through the TV or do you have to buy an item as with Amazon Prime (which I have at the moment ) ?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    How much do you chaps pay for Netflix and does it come through the TV or do you have to buy an item as with Amazon Prime (which I have at the moment ) ?

I'm a cheap loser so I use my aunt's account, because I love free stuff. It CAN come with a TV, as long as you're purchasing a Smart TV that allows you to connect via the Internet. You can also access it through game consoles (Xbox One, PS4) and your laptop.

Honestly, it's probably one of the few streaming apps I'd go out of my way to pay for. As I said the other day, they're sinking more and more money into their originals (I want to say they're allotting $8 billion for their 2018 originals, which is double the amount from this year) that it'll get to a point where there are a dozen or so originals per month.

Of course, they have a few stinkers here and there, but most of their original movies and shows are worth a viewing.
    Netflix is planning to release 80 original films in 2018. That more than 4 times more than major studios like 20th Century Fox, WB and Universal, who at most have 17 planned films next year.

I think it was simply a mixture of that scene rubbing me the wrong way after hearing so much praise, on top of not having time for it all. I really want to give them a go, because that'll lead to me having a solid 100 episodes worth throughout all of them to enjoy, plus the upcoming The Punisher. I might have to give it a go after this new season of Stranger Things.

What's the one people seemed to unanimously not enjoy as much as the others, was it Iron Fist?

@Creasy47, Iron Fist seems to be the least praised, I guess, but I've only seen the Daredevil seasons and Jessica Jones so far, so can't comment.

If you do see the Daredevil seasons, we've got a thread here for it that never really took off if you find that you want to share your thoughts:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/11974/netflixs-daredevil-series-2015-present-fear-the-spoilers#latest
    Netflix is planning to release 80 original films in 2018. That more than 4 times more than major studios like 20th Century Fox, WB and Universal, who at most have 17 planned films next year.

And just so we're clear, that's 80 original films ONLY, yes? And not 80 original overall works (i.e. shows + films). If so, that translates to a new original film every four and a half days, and doesn't even include the shows. Amazing.
    There's too much stuff to see out there. I'm overwhelmed with just what we have now. Where am I going to find the time to see it all?