Comments

• RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Well, Bond won his DB5 during a poker game in The Bahamas (2006). Then his DB5 was destroyed by Silva and his goons (6 years later, 2012). So perhaps it's time for a new private car for Bond. We already discussed the original DBS (as featured in OHMSS and DAF). But the DB6 is a beauty too. Bond's new Aston for private use ;-)?

It would be nice if the CR and SF were the same, as intended by P+W and ruined by Mendes.

I actually see them as the same cars really. Are you.....thát strict on these tiny continuity errors, if in essence continuity within the Craig era has been handled much better then with all previous Bond films? Really, if you are so harsh on these things, then Judi Dench's "M" should have been killed off already in DAD.

By the way, there has been some consistent little good continuity in SF as well:
    --> "Don't touch your ear!" Bond's habit of saying things during spying with ear communication. In CR and SF
    --> "I know when a girl is afraid, is in fear, and pretends not to be." Bond understanding women's souls. In CR and SF.

I prefer to highlight these little bits of continuity. And at the same time think that Bond's db5's in CR and SF are the same. And who knows....maybe there's a special cinematic secret agent in Bond's universe as well ;-). Don't forget the little bit of James Bond theme played on a flute in "Octopussy"...

There is also Bond's "What makes you think this is my first time?" line. The first few times I saw SF I thought it was merely a cheeky reponse to being touched on the inner thigh by a man. But then I realized it had to do with being tied to a chair, as happened in CR.

Exactly, lovely pieces of continuity. That work perfectly, as they also are simply cheeky remarks...BUT with history behind it.

They are indeed lovely, and allude to a standalone Craig trajectory. That's why I have a problem with the DB5. All 20 before Craig I see as pretty much standalone, they add the odd reference here and there, but essentially there is no real continuity. The Craig films don't only have narrative continuity, they have great character continuity. Again, it's why I really don't like the inherent laziness of Mendes turning the CR DB5 into the GF DB5 in SF. I've heard all the arguments about Bond never making sense re. continuity, but the Craig films went out of there way to address this and SF continues in that vein for the most part. It's just silly instances where Mendes goes a bit too fanboy.

This isn't exactly correct if you think about it.

Judi's M was his boss as a new 00 and was also his boss in SF. However, he gets an Eve Moneypenny in SF. How do we reconcile that with MP from DN (is it a codeword?) & male M from GE.

Continuity really is totally up s3!+'s creek with Bond - so anything goes.

As I said earlier, Judi's M saw to that.

You'll have to explain @bondjames, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm suggesting that the Craig films seemed to be delivering their own take that was independent of what had gone before, the odd tip of the hat here and there, but narratively consistent within itself. What do you mean re. MP in DN. Apologies if I'm being slow, I just genuinely don't understand what you're getting at.

Sorry for not being clear. I'm referring to continuity. In DN we had a male boss and a female assistant called MP.

In SF we have the same female M who was Bond's boss at the start of his 00 tenure (meaning DN could not have happened yet) and then we have the introduction of an MP.

So unless the assumption is that DN starts after SF, it does not make any sense. However if DN (or GE for that matter) starts after SF, what was the referrence to exploding pens made by Q?

I guess the point is that the Craig era is not really consistent with the other eras. That's my point. It may be consistent internally within the Craig era (meaning the SF Aston either is not the CR Aston, or it is one that Q branch tricked out for Bond between CR & SF) but it is not internally consistent with the other eras.

We're saying the same thing. I don't see the DC era as being consistent with the other eras, I see it as it's own beast, with a few little winks to the past, that don't generally compromise the narrative. 'Exploding pens' is a knowing gag that worked well. The DB5 is a different kettle of fish, it's the exact car from GF. The whole 'kitting out' theory is just that and it's not in any way tonally consistent with the Craig era. The film was written by P&W featuring the car Bond won in CR. It was Mendes who thought it would be fun to include the gadgets. For me it's tonally at odds with the era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well, Bond won his DB5 during a poker game in The Bahamas (2006). Then his DB5 was destroyed by Silva and his goons (6 years later, 2012). So perhaps it's time for a new private car for Bond. We already discussed the original DBS (as featured in OHMSS and DAF). But the DB6 is a beauty too. Bond's new Aston for private use ;-)?

It would be nice if the CR and SF were the same, as intended by P+W and ruined by Mendes.

I actually see them as the same cars really. Are you.....thát strict on these tiny continuity errors, if in essence continuity within the Craig era has been handled much better then with all previous Bond films? Really, if you are so harsh on these things, then Judi Dench's "M" should have been killed off already in DAD.

By the way, there has been some consistent little good continuity in SF as well:
    --> "Don't touch your ear!" Bond's habit of saying things during spying with ear communication. In CR and SF
    --> "I know when a girl is afraid, is in fear, and pretends not to be." Bond understanding women's souls. In CR and SF.

I prefer to highlight these little bits of continuity. And at the same time think that Bond's db5's in CR and SF are the same. And who knows....maybe there's a special cinematic secret agent in Bond's universe as well ;-). Don't forget the little bit of James Bond theme played on a flute in "Octopussy"...

There is also Bond's "What makes you think this is my first time?" line. The first few times I saw SF I thought it was merely a cheeky reponse to being touched on the inner thigh by a man. But then I realized it had to do with being tied to a chair, as happened in CR.

Exactly, lovely pieces of continuity. That work perfectly, as they also are simply cheeky remarks...BUT with history behind it.

They are indeed lovely, and allude to a standalone Craig trajectory. That's why I have a problem with the DB5. All 20 before Craig I see as pretty much standalone, they add the odd reference here and there, but essentially there is no real continuity. The Craig films don't only have narrative continuity, they have great character continuity. Again, it's why I really don't like the inherent laziness of Mendes turning the CR DB5 into the GF DB5 in SF. I've heard all the arguments about Bond never making sense re. continuity, but the Craig films went out of there way to address this and SF continues in that vein for the most part. It's just silly instances where Mendes goes a bit too fanboy.

This isn't exactly correct if you think about it.

Judi's M was his boss as a new 00 and was also his boss in SF. However, he gets an Eve Moneypenny in SF. How do we reconcile that with MP from DN (is it a codeword?) & male M from GE.

Continuity really is totally up s3!+'s creek with Bond - so anything goes.

As I said earlier, Judi's M saw to that.

You'll have to explain @bondjames, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm suggesting that the Craig films seemed to be delivering their own take that was independent of what had gone before, the odd tip of the hat here and there, but narratively consistent within itself. What do you mean re. MP in DN. Apologies if I'm being slow, I just genuinely don't understand what you're getting at.

Sorry for not being clear. I'm referring to continuity. In DN we had a male boss and a female assistant called MP.

In SF we have the same female M who was Bond's boss at the start of his 00 tenure (meaning DN could not have happened yet) and then we have the introduction of an MP.

So unless the assumption is that DN starts after SF, it does not make any sense. However if DN (or GE for that matter) starts after SF, what was the referrence to exploding pens made by Q?

I guess the point is that the Craig era is not really consistent with the other eras. That's my point. It may be consistent internally within the Craig era (meaning the SF Aston either is not the CR Aston, or it is one that Q branch tricked out for Bond between CR & SF) but it is not internally consistent with the other eras.

We're saying the same thing. I don't see the DC era as being consistent with the other eras, I see it as it's own beast, with a few little winks to the past, that don't generally compromise the narrative. 'Exploding pens' is a knowing gag that worked well. The DB5 is a different kettle of fish, it's the exact car from GF. The whole 'kitting out' theory is just that and it's not in any way tonally consistent with the Craig era. The film was written by P&W featuring the car Bond won in CR. It was Mendes who thought it would be fun to include the gadgets. For me it's tonally at odds with the era.

Ok. Yes, we're saying the same thing essentially. I've just given up on continuity with Bond (it's become too complicated to keep track) so the DB5 did not bother me. I agree though that it is tonally inconsistent, but as I'd given up on continuity I just was happy to see it again, and hear it more so.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552
    JCRendle wrote: »
    For all we know the SF DB5 is the CR DB5 - with modifications undertaken by Q Branch, swapping the steering to better suit the UK roads and added "optional extras" - When in doubt, blame Q Branch, not Mendes ;)

Or it's a just a different car.

Why must people think they are the same, or it's a different universe? It's two different cars, I don't understand what's complicated.
    It's called theories, discussion, conjecture - it's what fans do.

It can be fun to try and link things, even when there's no link there and it wasn't intended - If people want to think that they could be they same car, why not let them think that?

I put forward that hypothesis in reply to another member.

So the fact that it may, or may not, be the same car is up to the individual viewer to interpret.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The Bond universe is bizarre, and the more we try to make sense of it, the more confused we get.

For me, the Craig films are their own story arc, but they do make self-reflective allusions to the previous 20 films--like an inside joke. In fact, the older films did that, too, as with "This never happened to the other guy" in OHMSS. From a pure plot/character standpoint, that line makes no sense. But who cares. We get it. It's metafictional.

The DB5 is one such instance. So is the pen.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    It was Mendes who thought it would be fun to include the gadgets. For me it's tonally at odds with the era.

Well, he's not a writer.

There's even weirder things about consistencies we can discuss when the movie is out (ie : leaks about the first screenplays for SPECTRE that Mendes was happy with enough to defend them, which are now very obsolete).
  • By jolly.....I just wanted to come up with a nice idea.....introducing a new Aston for Bond for private use. Look how the discussion has changed.
    The Bond universe is bizarre, and the more we try to make sense of it, the more confused we get.

For me, the Craig films are their own story arc, but they do make self-reflective allusions to the previous 20 films--like an inside joke. In fact, the older films did that, too, as with "This never happened to the other guy" in OHMSS. From a pure plot/character standpoint, that line makes no sense. But who cares. We get it. It's metafictional.

Completely agree @TripAces . Bond uttering the lines "This never happened to the other fella" in OHMSS. Vijay playing the James Bond-theme on his flute in OP. Bond wanting to use his ejector seat in SF.

If we become a bunch of Trekkies, wishing the Bond-universe to become completely devoid of any kind of the above references. If we start getting so irritated by those examples and use them as full attack on the quality of the actual film, then I advise to write letters to the Pinewood Studios, and make a list of things that should not be in a Bond film.

In the meanwhile, can we please.....focus on some positive ideas in here??? I mean, Aston Martin DB SIXXX? And for whatever kind of reason we're back at SF again. Sjee. Come up with some positive ideas.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'd say Bond has a stash of DB5s all over the country, ready for use
    Whenever he needs them! :))
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 3,169
    B96fQGYIQAEpJFW.jpg

Wrapping up Monday and Tuesday

And in other news:

"James Bond Spectre car chase shoot sees Rome flats hired out for £739 PER DAY.
    Wealthy Russian tourists are willing to pay big bucks to watch the high-octane chase which will see Daniel Craig stop outside Mussolini’s private residence"
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/james-bond-spectre-car-chase-5168827#ICID=sharebar_twitter
  • chipstickschipsticks NOT on TheDanielCraigForum where they think know Daniel Craig personally and Léa and Monica are ugly
    edited February 2015 Posts: 560
    Louis Jourdan, Star of ‘Octopussy,’ ‘Gigi,’ Dies at 93

louis-jourdan-dead.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/louis-jourdan-star-of-octopussy-gigi-dies-at-93-1201434557/
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    £739 per day? Lol eff off.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    £739 per day? Lol eff off.
    Yeah, idiots. As if shooting actually begins on the 7th. Five days will be spent prepping and only one night actual shooting.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For all we know the SF DB5 is the CR DB5 - with modifications undertaken by Q Branch, swapping the steering to better suit the UK roads and added "optional extras" - When in doubt, blame Q Branch, not Mendes ;)

Or it's a just a different car.

Why must people think they are the same, or it's a different universe? It's two different cars, I don't understand what's complicated.

It could very well be the same care. Alex Demtrios was a criminal and could have had his DB5 decked out with all kinds of illegal weapons and equipment. Or it could have been modified by Q Branch. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Why was Bond's suit different in the PTS of QoS since it takes place 13 minutes after CR ended? It's just nitpicking.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
  • DrGorner wrote: »
    I'd say Bond has a stash of DB5s all over the country, ready for use
    Whenever he needs them! :))

You're funny Mr Gorner :-P.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Another bald SPECTRE villain?!
  • Just because all filming in Austria is almost done (Tuesday filming will wrap up there), all pictures from the location shooting from last week collected:

B96fQGYIQAEpJFW.jpg
    B9ynCrjCYAA325U.jpg
    10960317_10153114115549650_3943682348218623352_o.jpg
    skigebiet_soelden_restaurant,method=scale,prop=data,id=1636-900.jpg
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Another bald SPECTRE villain?!

Yeah, another bald one. This is getting freaky. And most of these bald actors are ugly as well....quite ugly :-P (which is good for a villain though hehe)
  • RC7RC7

The DB5 has narrative weight, the pen doesn't, it's a flippant 'in-joke' as you say. The DB5 is not flippant. It's used to progress the action and is why it's inclusion is baffling to me.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited February 2015 Posts: 3,157
    Disney? Bond? I hope I won't live up to see that.
    Me too. I'm avoiding anything related to Star Wars Episode 7 (which should have never been made at the first place) and Star Wars Rebels (the pilot convinced me never to watch the rest of the series).
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'm beginning to join in with those who think that the SPECTRE villains may be a nod to the Moonraker novel, when the workers were all bald - yes, they had facial hair in the novel, but all these guys seem to either be completely bald or have a Number One trim - even Hinx has a close cut...

dave-bautista-skyfall-highlander.jpg

Does that mean

Bill Tanner is a member of SPECTRE? 
    SPECTRE-Rory-Kinnear.jpg

;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm beginning to join in with those who think that the SPECTRE villains may be a nod to the Moonraker novel, when the workers were all bald - yes, they had facial hair in the novel, but all these guys seem to either be completely bald or have a Number One trim - even Hinx has a close cut...

Does that mean

SPECTRE-Rory-Kinnear.jpg

;)
    Not bald enough.
  • So we can add Italian actor Peppe Lanzetta to the list, possibly also a member of the S.P.E.C.T.R.E. brotherhood. It is turning into one hell of an organization if this turns out to be true :-P. All of the following actors and their roles could be attached to the crime syndicate or are rumoured to play someone "villainous":

--> Christoph Waltz (Austrian actor, Franz Oberhauser)
    --> Dave Bautista (American actor, Mr. Hinx)
    --> Monica Belluci (Italian actress, Lucia "Troublemaker" Sciarra) *rumoured*
    --> Jesper Christensen (Danish actor, Mr White)
    --> Andrew Scott (British actor, Denbigh) *rumoured*
    --> Brigitte Millar (British actress. Rosa Klebb? Irma Bunt? Or other iconic henchwoman from the Bond franchise?)
    --> Peppe Lanzetta (Italian actor, Lorenzo, BALD)
    --> Detlef Bothe (German actor, tailing someone in cable car, BALD)
    --> Marc Zinga (French actor, Oberhauser's assistant)
    --> Wilhelm Iben (Austrian actor, BALD)
    --> Victor Schefé (German actor, BALD)
    --> Neve Gachev (Bulgarian actress, Clinic Patron)

115329716-6c4ae9cc-61d4-4d5c-b914-f652f2e7d2bc.jpg
    And they all have something in common. They are not exactly...the most handsome or pretty human beings on Earth :-P. Except Belluci and Gachev off course!
    Well if the DOTD festival is to be incorporated into Spectre which is highly likely? I fully approve of that and look forward to seeing it on the big screen. Without a doubt a big nod to LALD! 8-X
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552
    @Gustav_Graves Where does the
    Troublemaker nickname come from with Lucia Sciarra?
    and what makes you think that
    Brigitte Millar will be an iconic henchwoman from the Bond franchise
    - I've put the questions in spoiler tags incase the answers are considered a spoiler.
    They are not exactly...the most handsome or pretty human beings on Earth
    Have you heard the expression "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? I can assure you that lots of women find both Waltz, Bautista and Christensen handsome! ;-)

Does that mean

SPECTRE-Rory-Kinnear.jpg

;)

I was wondering the same thing (about the baldness). I think it may be twofold: 1)throw a red herring regarding Blofeld, by having many villains, or potential villains, bald. 2)use shaved head with/without facial hair like in the novel MR: for terrorists/criminals to be able to change their appearance in a simple manner.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    @Gustav_Graves Where does the
    Troublemaker nickname come from with Lucia Sciarra?
    and what makes you think that
    Brigitte Millar will be an iconic henchwoman from the Bond franchise
    - I've put the questions in spoiler tags incase the answers are considered a spoiler.

Because it was mentioned on the front-page of MI6-HQ.com when the news about Brigitte Millar was released. Well, there was this question that implied this ("Iconic henchwoman from the history of the Bond franchise?", @JamesPage ?). So nothing new from my side, as I implied the same.

Initially I thought Monica Bellucci could play such a henchwoman, but now Brigitte Millar seems more likely to be casted for such a role. Hence why I guess we could see the return of: Rosa Klebb, Irma Bunt or Helga Brand.

Regarding "Troublemaker"....."Sciarra" is old-Italian for Troublemaker or problem-maker. That's why I thought Monica could still play a bad girl after all.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,622
    this is actually the only explanation.
    ie "hey 007. We can trick out your new old-car just like we did for the agents back in 1964. You'll love it. Just leave it with us."
    Edit: I thought of another explanation. There is a 6 year gap between CR and SF (2006-2012) In the interim, Bond ditched the CR car, and wangled the GF tricked-out edtion from Q Branch, which happened to have kept one around for posterity, as I am sure they do with much of the gear that's been used over the years.
    They spruced up the equipped car, and loaned it to Bond, who later destroyed it at Skyfall.

If though, as @rc7 maintains, Purvis and Wade had intended that CR and SF cars to be the same, then our explanations, are just us fans having to stretch our imaginations to cover for Mendes' goofy, lazy storytelling.
    IMO Mendes didn't give a crap. He just thought, throwing in the tricked-out DB5 would be a good gag. I didn't like it. The introduction of the DB5 in SF, was the low point of the film IMO, because it was so gratutitous, and requires us fans to jump through hoops to make sense of it.

My more conspiratorial take is that Mendes didn't want the Bond theme cluttering up his precious unique take on things, so he had to compartmentalize the theme with this non-sensical nod to the past, where the Bond theme belongs too apparently.

As for the exploding pen, thats just an in-joke for fans. The DC universe is new.
    GE didn't happen, but that doesn't mean that this universe doesn't have its own history, that might also have included exploding pens.
    It was a cute indication that the
    Series was 50 years old. I think of skyfall as part of the whole canon not just the Craig universe. CR and QOS show a contemporary interpretation of the beginnings of the character. It's not Dr who.

Things get too complicated if you try to work out how he Defeated Goldfinger in a parallel timeline. To most people who saw skyfall they probably saw the car, got the joke and enjoyed the reference.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The DB5 was only a reference and easter egg in Skyfall for me, and I do not hold it against them for using it in the film. It's a Bond film, remember, not everything makes sense. What about Bond's "fluent Japanese/Chinese-speaking" ability? He said in You Only Live Twice that he has taken classes for Oriental Languages in Oxford (if I remember correctly) yet in Tomorrow Never Dies he failed to type on the keyboard. Continuity error? Just watch it and enjoy it. That's what I say.