SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• RC7 wrote: »
    Well, Bond won his DB5 during a poker game in The Bahamas (2006). Then his DB5 was destroyed by Silva and his goons (6 years later, 2012). So perhaps it's time for a new private car for Bond. We already discussed the original DBS (as featured in OHMSS and DAF). But the DB6 is a beauty too. Bond's new Aston for private use ;-)?

It would be nice if the CR and SF were the same, as intended by P+W and ruined by Mendes.

I actually see them as the same cars really. Are you.....thát strict on these tiny continuity errors, if in essence continuity within the Craig era has been handled much better then with all previous Bond films? Really, if you are so harsh on these things, then Judi Dench's "M" should have been killed off already in DAD.

By the way, there has been some consistent little good continuity in SF as well:
    --> "Don't touch your ear!" Bond's habit of saying things during spying with ear communication. In CR and SF
    --> "I know when a girl is afraid, is in fear, and pretends not to be." Bond understanding women's souls. In CR and SF.

I prefer to highlight these little bits of continuity. And at the same time think that Bond's db5's in CR and SF are the same. And who knows....maybe there's a special cinematic secret agent in Bond's universe as well ;-). Don't forget the little bit of James Bond theme played on a flute in "Octopussy"...
  • ggl007 wrote: »
    Well, the "real" Day of the Dead or Día de los Muertos is at the beggining of November (Halloween, anyone?). Here is some information, even about "Catrinas" ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Guys, this is all very logical really. Like OHMSS, the timeframe within the narrative of SPECTRE will be very clear as well now. The story must be set in the fall and winter of 2014/2015. Most likely between October to December/January. Otherwise there's no sense in Bond visiting the snowy Alps of Austria. So, it seems very logical that the Mexico sequence will be set in November in the screenplay :-).
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    Well, Bond won his DB5 during a poker game in The Bahamas (2006). Then his DB5 was destroyed by Silva and his goons (6 years later, 2012). So perhaps it's time for a new private car for Bond. We already discussed the original DBS (as featured in OHMSS and DAF). But the DB6 is a beauty too. Bond's new Aston for private use ;-)?

It would be nice if the CR and SF were the same, as intended by P+W and ruined by Mendes.

I actually see them as the same cars really. Are you.....thát strict on these tiny continuity errors, if in essence continuity within the Craig era has been handled much better then with all previous Bond films? Really, if you are so harsh on these things, then Judi Dench's "M" should have been killed off already in DAD.

By the way, there has been some consistent little good continuity in SF as well:
    --> "Don't touch your ear!" Bond's habit of saying things during spying with ear communication. In CR and SF
    --> "I know when a girl is afraid, is in fear, and pretends not to be." Bond understanding women's souls. In CR and SF.

I prefer to highlight these little bits of continuity. And at the same time think that Bond's db5's in CR and SF are the same. And who knows....maybe there's a special cinematic secret agent in Bond's universe as well ;-). Don't forget the little bit of James Bond theme played on a flute in "Octopussy"...

Tiny continuity errors? It's the DB5 from GF. It makes no sense. It's purely crowd pleasing, which is a shame. And the lecture on continuity, I don't need it.
  • Some people say I am lecturing. But IMO I just give my opinion and I disagree with you. Perhaps I find it necessary to stress some things that actually were handled well. Again, in all honesty, for me it didn't matter so much. And I gave some pretty good examples why I didn't care so much....

I wonder how many people in here were so furious about the inclusion of the gadget-laden DB5 in SF. Perhaps a lot, but not me.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wonder how many people in here were so furious about the inclusion of the gadget-laden DB5 in SF. Perhaps a lot, but not me.

I didn't mind it at all.

Personally I'd like to see Lazenby or Dalton's model make an impromptu appearance, or even the white Lotus. I like all these cars better than the vaunted DB5.

I didn't mind it though. Continuity has been out the window with the Aston since GE, when Brosnan drove that DB5 with the champagne cooler in Monaco (fantastic scene that one though).

I'm not even starting with Dench's M if we want to talk continuity, so really it's all up sh!+$ creek as far as I'm concerned
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552
    Ben Whishaw was spotted filming Q's scenes in London on
    Vauxhall Bridge -
     ben-whishaw-ben-whishaw-films-scenes-for-new_4585909.jpgben-whishaw-ben-whishaw-films-scenes-for-new_4585907.jpg

A different look entirely from SF...

http://www.contactmusic.com/ben-whishaw/pictures/3c43d3f1/ben-whishaw-ben-whishaw-films-scenes-for-new-james-bond-movie-spectre_4585905
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    [quote="Gustav_Graves;421900"opiwonder how many people in here were so furious about the inclusion of the gadget-laden DB5 in SF. Perhaps a lot, but not me.

I didn't mind it at all.

Personally I'd like to see Lazenby or Dalton's model make an impromptu appearance, or even the white Lotus. I like all these cars better than the vaunted DB5.

I didn't mind it though. Continuity has been out the window with the Aston since GE, when Brosnan drove that DB5 with the champagne cooler in Monaco (fantastic scene that one though).

I'm not even starting with Dench's M if we want to talk continuity, so really it's all up sh!+$ creek as far as I'm concerned[/quote]

Still, to have some continuity, it's a great idea to do something with the DB6. I find it quite the forgotten Aston Martin really...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2015 Posts: 10,588
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Vauxhall Bridge -
     ben-whishaw-ben-whishaw-films-scenes-for-new_4585909.jpgben-whishaw-ben-whishaw-films-scenes-for-new_4585907.jpg

http://www.contactmusic.com/ben-whishaw/pictures/3c43d3f1/ben-whishaw-ben-whishaw-films-scenes-for-new-james-bond-movie-spectre_4585905
    These pictures are of Ben Whishaw filming the BBC television series London Spy, not SPECTRE.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Vauxhall Bridge -

These pictures are of Ben Whishaw filming the BBC television series London Spy, not SPECTRE.
    Thanks for the correction, didn't realise - Looks like ContactMusic need better fact checkers before publishing.
  • RC7RC7
    Some people say I am lecturing. But IMO I just give my opinion and I disagree with you.

I was simply saying that it was a shame the DB5 was not handled better. I wasn't decrying the continuity of the Craig films, wholesale. You have a habit of fabricating questions on behalf of other people.
    And I gave some pretty good examples why I didn't care so much....

I'm sorry, I didn't see any. Not that it matters, I don't need to you to prove that it didn't bother you, I can see why it wouldn't. It certainly doesn't keep me up at night, I just find it lazy.
    The story must be set in the fall and winter of 2014/2015. Most likely between October to December/January. Otherwise there's no sense in Bond visiting the snowy Alps of Austria.
    There are many places in Austria that have snow all year round, you know.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    [Aquote="ClarkDevlin;419359"]
    Didn't Mission Impossible 5 also film at Blenheim Palace? Add this to Austria and Morocco...spooooky
    and doesn't the plot of MI:5 have Ethan Hunt battling an organisation called SPECTRE? No? Oh, ok
    I think this time, mysteriously, I rather think Ethan Hunt will indeed be fighting a SPECTRE-like organization, called The Syndicate, they are famous for being the antagonists in the Mission: Impossible franchise, speaking about the television series that is. They are to IMF what SPECTRE is to MI-6, and what THRUSH is to UNCLE.

In the original Mission: Impossible series, "The Syndicate" referred to the Mafia. They used avoided using that term.

That was common in U.S. television series at the time. The FBI preferred La Cosa Nostra (even though none of its leaders as depicted in the show were Italian). Toward the end of the series, they switched to "the Criminal Organization," when referring to organized crime. Mannix, a detective series, also used "The Syndicate" for referring to the Mafia.

So basically not exactly a SPECTRE clone.

Correct.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    The story must be set in the fall and winter of 2014/2015. Most likely between October to December/January. Otherwise there's no sense in Bond visiting the snowy Alps of Austria.
    There are many places in Austria that have snow all year round, you know.

I know that. But not in Obertilliach, Kartitsch at around 1,500 m altitude. Snow melts away around March/April up there. Hell, even in Obertilliach crew was facing problems due to lack of snow there.....
    @GG
    I doubt that Obertiliach will feature as Obertiliach in the movie. A snowy mountain could double for almost any other snowy mountain.
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    @GG
    I doubt that Obertiliach will feature as Obertiliach in the movie. A snowy mountain could double for almost any other snowy mountain.

Well, I am quite certain it will be Austria in the film. Not Aspen, Colorado.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast

Er, no. Bond aren't set at any particular time of year and I'd bet Spectre isn't any different. There's never been any attempt for the climates at different locations to make 'sense' like that.

• do we know the time yet for the photocall Wednesday?
    I may be alone but I still see Craig's bond as part of the series as a whole. CR and QOS are the beginnings of the character but then any of the other 20 films could fit in between QOS and skyfall. I don't see the addition of an ejector seat as a continuity error because I don't really think of SF as necessarily being set straight after QOS.

Otherwise the suggestions about him being long in the tooth aren't accurate. He'd have only been a 00 for about 5 years.

Also the exploding pen quip by Q fits in with Goldeneye.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    @GG
    Are you for real? Okay, let me rephrase: A snowy mountain in Austria could double for almost any other snowy mountain in Austria.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    @GG
    Are you for real? Okay, let me rephrase: A snowy mountain in Austria could double for almost any other snowy mountain in Austria.

Yeah you're right. Let me stay a bit on topic. I think it's logical IN ANY CASE that the Mexico sequence in the film is set in November. Just like the Palio scene in QOS was set in August. Ok?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

There is also Bond's "What makes you think this is my first time?" line. The first few times I saw SF I thought it was merely a cheeky reponse to being touched on the inner thigh by a man. But then I realized it had to do with being tied to a chair, as happened in CR.
  • TripAces wrote: »

There is also Bond's "What makes you think this is my first time?" line. The first few times I saw SF I thought it was merely a cheeky reponse to being touched on the inner thigh by a man. But then I realized it had to do with being tied to a chair, as happened in CR.

Exactly, lovely pieces of continuity. That work perfectly, as they also are simply cheeky remarks...BUT with history behind it.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    hthomas20 wrote: »
    do we know the time yet for the photocall Wednesday?

@hthomas I don't think we will ever get to know when the time will be. But the important thing is we will see it on Wednesday!! :-) :-)

• RC7RC7
    edited February 2015 Posts: 10,512
    TripAces wrote: »

Exactly, lovely pieces of continuity. That work perfectly, as they also are simply cheeky remarks...BUT with history behind it.

They are indeed lovely, and allude to a standalone Craig trajectory. That's why I have a problem with the DB5. All 20 before Craig I see as pretty much standalone, they add the odd reference here and there, but essentially there is no real continuity. The Craig films don't only have narrative continuity, they have great character continuity. Again, it's why I really don't like the inherent laziness of Mendes turning the CR DB5 into the GF DB5 in SF. I've heard all the arguments about Bond never making sense re. continuity, but the Craig films went out of there way to address this and SF continues in that vein for the most part. It's just silly instances where Mendes goes a bit too fanboy.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883

They are indeed lovely, and allude to a standalone Craig trajectory. That's why I have a problem with the DB5. All 20 before Craig I see as pretty much standalone, they add the odd reference here and there, but essentially there is no real continuity. The Craig films don't only have narrative continuity, they have great character continuity. Again, it's why I really don't like the inherent laziness of Mendes turning the CR DB5 into the GF DB5 in SF. I've heard all the arguments about Bond never making sense re. continuity, but the Craig films went out of there way to address this and SF continues in that vein for the most part. It's just silly instances where Mendes goes a bit too fanboy.

This isn't exactly correct if you think about it.

Judi's M was his boss as a new 00 and was also his boss in SF. However, he gets an Eve Moneypenny in SF. How do we reconcile that with MP from DN (is it a codeword?) & male M from GE.

Continuity really is totally up s3!+'s creek with Bond - so anything goes.

As I said earlier, Judi's M saw to that.
    For all we know the SF DB5 is the CR DB5 - with modifications undertaken by Q Branch, swapping the steering to better suit the UK roads and added "optional extras" - When in doubt, blame Q Branch, not Mendes ;)
  • RC7RC7

Judi's M was his boss as a new 00 and was also his boss in SF. However, he gets an Eve Moneypenny in SF. How do we reconcile that with MP from DN (is it a codeword?) & male M from GE.

You'll have to explain @bondjames, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm suggesting that the Craig films seemed to be delivering their own take that was independent of what had gone before, the odd tip of the hat here and there, but narratively consistent within itself. What do you mean re. MP in DN. Apologies if I'm being slow, I just genuinely don't understand what you're getting at.

You'll have to explain @bondjames, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm suggesting that the Craig films seemed to be delivering their own take that was independent of what had gone before, the odd tip of the hat here and there, but narratively consistent within itself. What do you mean re. MP in DN. Apologies if I'm being slow, I just genuinely don't understand what you're getting at.

Sorry for not being clear. I'm referring to continuity. In DN we had a male boss and a female assistant called MP.

In SF we have the same female M who was Bond's boss at the start of his 00 tenure (meaning DN could not have happened yet) and then we have the introduction of an MP.

So unless the assumption is that DN starts after SF, it does not make any sense. However if DN (or GE for that matter) starts after SF, what was the referrence to exploding pens made by Q?

I guess the point is that the Craig era is not really consistent with the other eras. That's my point. It may be consistent internally within the Craig era (meaning the SF Aston either is not the CR Aston, or it is one that Q branch tricked out for Bond between CR & SF) but it is not internally consistent with the other eras.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    For all we know the SF DB5 is the CR DB5 - with modifications undertaken by Q Branch, swapping the steering to better suit the UK roads and added "optional extras" - When in doubt, blame Q Branch, not Mendes ;)

Or it's a just a different car.

Why must people think they are the same, or it's a different universe? It's two different cars, I don't understand what's complicated.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 832
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I may be alone but I still see Craig's bond as part of the series as a whole. CR and QOS are the beginnings of the character but then any of the other 20 films could fit in between QOS and skyfall. I don't see the addition of an ejector seat as a continuity error because I don't really think of SF as necessarily being set straight after QOS.

Otherwise the suggestions about him being long in the tooth aren't accurate. He'd have only been a 00 for about 5 years.

Also the exploding pen quip by Q fits in with Goldeneye.

Holy f***ing shit and I thought i was alone on this. Yea it has a few minor errors, but there are plenty of such problems even before dc, and it overall just makes more sense/ is more enjoyable especially with the whole old theme.