SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

doubleoego wrote: »
    This Lee Smith guy, from the list I've seen all the films apart from the way back but is his editing style desirable? I seem to remember being unimpressed with the editing of most of Nolan 's films especially when it came to action; particularly in the batman movies.

I don't care how talented or prestigious the cast and crew are but all of that means shit if the film is poorly edited and hacked to pieces.

In all honest, being an editor on a Bond film in a way is something less "straight in your face". Being a director of photography or a movie composer brings about certain qualities that are directly visible/hearable by the audiences.

That is slightly different with a sound editor or visual editor. Having said that, I thought Stuart Baird was a good editor. But the same can be said from Lee Smith in "Inception". In any case, the editing process for me is always.....something I see in greater detail after I bought the movie on BluRay and after I've seen the movies several times.

So I'm a bit ambiguous towards the choice of the editor. Baird or Smith? I don't really mind either of them. But fact is that Lee Smith has an impressive CV.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    jobo wrote: »
    I really dig Lea Seydoux! She's following the footsteps of the other fantastic casting choices for Bond girls in the Craig era.

I see that Babs and Michael and co are really going for it. And they should as 2015 will be the most competitive year a Bond film has ever been released in.

I don't think that will be a major problem though. Most of the major blockbusters will be released in the summer, while Bond 24 will premiere in late autumn.

Bond will have to go up against (in the USA) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2, which is on the scale of the last Harry Potter film.

After all the films in the summer, Jurassic World, Avengers and Antman, and the biggy at the end of the year (Star Wars), will it hold up? It will do well, for sure, no denying that, but will it make as much as its competitors? There will be quite a few to pass the billion dollar mark in 2015.
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    This was the role, long ago, that was described as having a past relationship of sorts, with Bond. If that holds, I hope it is all believable.

So this time it is going to be personal? Surprise,surprise!
    jobo wrote: »
    I really dig Lea Seydoux! She's following the footsteps of the other fantastic casting choices for Bond girls in the Craig era.

I see that Babs and Michael and co are really going for it. And they should as 2015 will be the most competitive year a Bond film has ever been released in.

I don't think that will be a major problem though. Most of the major blockbusters will be released in the summer, while Bond 24 will premiere in late autumn.

Bond will have to go up against (in the USA) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2, which is on the scale of the last Harry Potter film.

After all the films in the summer, Jurassic World, Avengers and Antman, and the biggy at the end of the year (Star Wars), will it hold up? It will do well, for sure, no denying that, but will it make as much as its competitors? There will be quite a few to pass the billion dollar mark in 2015.

Indeed. And add "M:I 4" to that list. Back in December 2012 box office figures during the Christmas holidays rose again for "Skyfall", because there was no real competition in December for "Skyfall" that year. Now "M:I 4" will fill that gap during Christmas 2015. So it's interesting to see if "Bond 24" has strong holdover figures...
    It seems to me Craig's Bond has a thing for the French ;)
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    Hans Zimmer stating that "Barbara is coming tomorrow night"

Well, she's officially just watching a performance. He won't be doing B24, but it was nice to hear he'd be up for Bond in general and good to know Barbara would take the time to go and see him perform.

Can you confirm that Hans Zimmer is not doing Bond 24? I mean, it is more likely that Thomas Newman returns. But EON is still in the process of contracting people for cast....and crew.

He just said that he knew Babs was seeing his performance tonight.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This Lee Smith guy, from the list I've seen all the films apart from the way back but is his editing style desirable? I seem to remember being unimpressed with the editing of most of Nolan 's films especially when it came to action; particularly in the batman movies.

I don't care how talented or prestigious the cast and crew are but all of that means shit if the film is poorly edited and hacked to pieces.

In all honest, being an editor on a Bond film in a way is something less "straight in your face". Being a director of photography or a movie composer brings about certain qualities that are directly visible/hearable by the audiences.

That is slightly different with a sound editor or visual editor. Having said that, I thought Stuart Baird was a good editor. But the same can be said from Lee Smith in "Inception". In any case, the editing process for me is always.....something I see in greater detail after I bought the movie on BluRay and after I've seen the movies several times.

So I'm a bit ambiguous towards the choice of the editor. Baird or Smith? I don't really mind either of them. But fact is that Lee Smith has an impressive CV.

For me, as long as a Bond movie doesn't look like a 90s TV movie I don't care for who the dp is. Bar LTK all the Bond movies look like cinematic releases. However, I don't need to watch a movie x number of times to grasp what's unfolding before me. A badly and sloppily edited movie is something you don't miss first time round and the movie can look as beautiful and sublime as the most divine galactic horizon but if the scenes are transitioned badly and the footage is frenetically hacked and chopped, what's the point? There's nothing to appreciate.

With some of these beautiful locations ready to be filmed for Bond 24, time needs to be spent to allow the frames and footage to breathe and transition well to get a sense of the atmosphere and appreciate what we're seeing.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 3,169
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think each of his scores is 10-20% genius and 80-90% crap. So I cincerely hope he will not score a Bond film.
    I think each of Zimmer's scores are 10-20% crap and 80-90% genious. But I wouldn't want him scoring a Bond-movie, anymore that I would have wanted John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith or Ennio Morricone.
    Now "M:I 4" will fill that gap during Christmas 2015. So it's interesting to see if "Bond 24" has strong holdover figures...
    That is MI:5, not 4 ;-) It has a release date about one month later, IIRC.
    A badly and sloppily edited movie is something you don't miss first time round and the movie can look as beautiful and sublime as the most divine galactic horizon but if the scenes are transitioned badly and the footage is frenetically hacked and chopped, what's the point? There's nothing to appreciate.
    This belongs in the QoS thread ;-)
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,021
    RC7 wrote: »
    Hans Zimmer stating that "Barbara is coming tomorrow night"

Well, she's officially just watching a performance. He won't be doing B24, but it was nice to hear he'd be up for Bond in general and good to know Barbara would take the time to go and see him perform.

@RC7 I was aware that she was just going to a performance of Zimmer music but it was just the way that you mentioned it in your post.

I put the Bond question to him, to which he replied 'Barabara Brocolli is coming tomorrow night'.

Does that mean you asked him the Bond question "will you be composing Bond 24?" and he answered "Barbara Brocolli is coming tomorrow night" or was it more like "will you be composing Bond 24 ?" and he answered "No not this time. But maybe next time" as you mention in your post that it won't happen this time.

just wondering as there are few things in your post that I didn't find very clear.

While I find Zimmer to be a very talented composer. I hope that he won't be chosen for Bond 24,Bond 25 or Bond 26. To me it seems that Zimmer is writing every single franchise film that Hollywood produces and it gets a bit tiring! Give some one else a chance. I enjoyed Thomas Newmans score even though a lot of people didn't. I say if he wants to scoreBond 24 give him another chance. But I have the feeling that someone else will be scoring this time around...
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119
    I just finished listening "Hans Zimmer - Greatest Hits", including his recent work for Nolan's movies. I must agree with most of the people in here. Hans Zimmer has got a truly massive CV under his belt. But I can't help thinking that his music sounds mostly like extended, brassy, marchal music accompanied by lots of horns, trumpets and overdramatic use of strings.

Compared to Thomas Newman's score for "Skyfall" I lack sophistication in Hans Zimmer's approach. Newman knows how to deal with romantic scenes without making them look cheesy. So I think you can describe Newman in a few words as "sophisticated, nuanced, elegant with plentiful layers, while I would describe Zimmer's work as "loud, brassy, straight-in-your-face and at times unoriginal".

If I had to choose between Zimmer and Newman? Then Newman. I can understand why he got an Oscar nomination for "Skyfall" now. So please Newman, confirm that you're onboard this wunderful "Bond-wagon" :-).
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm not too worried about MI:5. Cruise isn't that popular and that series has now turned into the wanna be. Having said that I would expect it to do better in China.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I'm not too worried about MI:5. Cruise isn't that popular and that series has now turned into the wanna be. Having said that I would expect it to do better in China.

Compared to "Bond 24"? So far "M:I" has certainly got an edge in China over 007.

Problem with M:I is that it is too much of a Tom Cruise vehicle/spectacle, with very little to no character.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Problem with M:I is that it is too much of a Tom Cruise vehicle/spectacle, with very little to no character.

Bond used to be a Sean Connery-vehicle too in the 1960's. "Ghost Protocol" was a huge success, especially in China. Apparently, audiences love Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt, despite that melodramatic gossip for females about his "scientology nerdiness".
    That's because the Chinese are smart enough to separate the man's personal life from a fun movie he's in. Bond 24 needs to really wow with the action and bring a fantastical excitement that was missing in SF. Had it been CR that was released instead of SF in 2012, it would have been better received by the Chinese market and would have made a lot more money over there.

also on imdb it seems to appear that Christopher Nolan's film editor Lee Smith is listed as the film editor. No Stuart Baird this time. With Hoyt Van Hotema confirmed as DP and Lee Smith listed on IMDB as film editor and Hans Zimmer stating that "Barbara is coming tomorrow night" are Sam and the producers trying to poach all of Nolans technical team for Bond 24 ready to hand over the reigns to Nolan for Bond 25?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Great news, if true! Stuart Baird did an excellent job on CR and SF but Lee Smith has an even more impressive resume. Having said that, there is NO WAY the producers are hiring Nolan's technical team for Bond 24 to get him on board for Bond 25. Sam Mendes doing that would be even more absurd. Why on Earth would an A-list director hire the creative collaborators of another director just to make him agree to do the next movie?

First of all, Nolan will probably want to do a Bond film only after Craig's tenure is over, which means he won't direct Bond 25. Even if he did, it would still make no sense for Mendes, Broccoli and Wilson to hire Nolan's team just to get him on board for the next movie in the franchise.
    I agree. Mendes is confident enough and has a Bond film under his belt. I think the team are hiring whom they want to work on this film not to suck up or be like other films. Bind 24 has no incentive to suck up to Mi:5 or any film. I believe they getting whom they and whom.they will do the best job. Miverover the studio seems to be trusting more and not micro managing as much ...except to maybe when comes to artists for theme song ..ie QOS. Forgive typos ..too hard on phoneto fix wwithout cusin: P
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,458
    There working a lot of people from Nolan Batman on Bond 24, but not every of those choosesare mean a bat! choose for Bond. Like Storyboard artist who already work on Skyfall and for same year also doing storyboards for Safe House part of South Africa. One of my personal favorite scene's of that movie with a bit of CR style but smarter. Like same way opening of Skyfall be realy smart with people already death. Thanks to better use of music, soundmix and editing. The tiolet scene and stairs fight in CR whas to violence for my taste.

I stil hope on Steven Price as composer, whyle of course said before work on Batman Begins too as music editor. inspecialy with this TDK editor, atleast a better choose then Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman or David Arnold. Knowing he also did music editor for Johnny English Reborn and be composer of Gravity.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Bond used to be a Sean Connery-vehicle too in the 1960's. "Ghost Protocol" was a huge success, especially in China. Apparently, audiences love Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt, despite that melodramatic gossip for females about his "scientology nerdiness".

Bond may have been a Sean Connery vehicle in the 1960s, but it was also more than that. I am not saying M:I is not a successful franchise, that would be silly, but it is very much a Cruise vehicle. The M:I women, for lack of a better term, are not exactly like the Bond girls, they are not nearly as iconic, and thus Léa Seydoux's role in Ghost Protocol is not a hindrance for her becoming a Bond girl.

Oh and on a side note and for the record, I really enjoyed the first M:I movie.
    I did too ...and the 2nd and the 4th cuz more of an underdog. The first copied GE in terms of plot twist ..first time Bond started being copied again but was a way better film than GE. I'm a bigger Bond fan and I want the best for my hero :/
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119

also on imdb it seems to appear that Christopher Nolan's film editor Lee Smith is listed as the film editor. No Stuart Baird this time. With Hoyt Van Hotema confirmed as DP and Lee Smith listed on IMDB as film editor and Hans Zimmer stating that "Barbara is coming tomorrow night" are Sam and the producers trying to poach all of Nolans technical team for Bond 24 ready to hand over the reigns to Nolan for Bond 25?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Great news, if true! Stuart Baird did an excellent job on CR and SF but Lee Smith has an even more impressive resume. Having said that, there is NO WAY the producers are hiring Nolan's technical team for Bond 24 to get him on board for Bond 25. Sam Mendes doing that would be even more absurd. Why on Earth would an A-list director hire the creative collaborators of another director just to make him agree to do the next movie?

First of all, Nolan will probably want to do a Bond film only after Craig's tenure is over, which means he won't direct Bond 25. Even if he did, it would still make no sense for Mendes, Broccoli and Wilson to hire Nolan's team just to get him on board for the next movie in the franchise.

First of all, I think we are ignoring some things here. May I remind you that for Sam Mendes, ánd the Bond producers, Chris Nolan is a source of inspiration. Yeah I know, many forummembers tend to ignore that outside our "forum-cage" "Skyfall" was frequently compared to "The Dark Knight". Mendes said it himself.

Now, if you say Nolan is an A-list director, then Mendes is one too. But Mendes most likely will not return after Bond 24. Daniel Craig however is a different story. Looking at Tom Cruise and his age, but also looking at the success of Crain's Bond films (astronomical success), I am fairly convinced that Baby and Michael want Craig back for a 5th, perhaps even a 6th.

So which director should take over then? Given the fact that Chris Nolan and Barbara are on good speaking terms, there is plentiful space for more negotiations. Perhaps even to lure him into directing Bond 25. So that's certainly not a ridiculous idea. What Nolan said 2 years ago, doesn't necessarily count today.
    Craig is contracted to make Bond 25. Him coming back for Bond 26 is a different story.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 3,169
    Why should anyone worry at all? They can coexist, you know.
    Besides, judging from reports in the MI5 production, Cruise is more popular than ever. He always takes his time to talk to fans on the street. He actually enjoys the spotlight, unlike many other stars. And any actor who does this, and shows that he doesn't take himself too serious, has my fullest respect.

Craig is contracted to make Bond 25. Him coming back for Bond 26 is a different story.

Off course it's a different story, though not an unrealistic story. Bond has been rebooted extensively since 2006. A whole frikkin new timeliness has been created. So I think shelving Craig after Bond 25 in a similar way as Brosnan was shelved after DAD is a slightly more unrealistic scenario.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,074
    If Craig doesn't do Bond 26 it will be him turning it down, not being pushed. He's a smart guy, he will know when the right time is to leave. I doubt he will do Roger Moore.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 11,139

Off course it's a different story, though not an unrealistic story. Bond has been rebooted extensively since 2006. A whole frikkin new timeliness has been created. So I think shelving Craig after Bond 25 in a similar way as Brosnan was shelved after DAD is a slightly more unrealistic scenario.

That's pretty obvious. The relationship Craig has with the producers is far more closer than what the producers had with Brosnan. If Babs had her way (stop calling her Baby, it's a stupid shorthand name for her) she'd have Craig doing it for another 10 years but Craig's a smart guy. He loves the role and loves making the movies but being involved with Bond isn't the same for him as it was with Brosnan. Craig can take or leave the role, he's not beholden to it at all. Whereas, Brosnan treated the role like it was his birthright it's only relatively recently that he's gotten over not being called back to do a 5th but had he done a 5th he would have been 51 or 52 and with the way things are going with Craig, it's not entirely impossible he could finish up with 6 movies but we'll see.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I remember a rumor being around a couple of months before the release of Skyfall (a few days before it was confirmed that Craig was contracted for Bond 24 and 25) according to which EON wanted Craig to do 8 Bond movies, in order to pass Moore's record.

screenrant.com/daniel-craig-james-bond-movies-sandy-144124/
    Walecs wrote: »
    I remember a rumor being around a couple of months before the release of Skyfall (a few days before it was confirmed that Craig was contracted for Bond 24 and 25) according to which EON wanted Craig to do 8 Bond movies, in order to pass Moore's record.

screenrant.com/daniel-craig-james-bond-movies-sandy-144124/

Let me guess. With their rate of production this would be in the year 2025?
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,844
    I'm not too excited about Lee Smith doing the editing. His work on Nolan's films certainly hasn't been to par with Baird's work for the Bond franchise. The Dark Knight in particular is a glaring case of poor editing. Watch the middle-act car chase with the Joker and try to make linear sense of how the chase progresses. The editing is all over the map. I believe someone has a website out there where they actually break the sequence down, shot by shot, and illustrate just how poorly constructed it is. I don't want to get "impressions" of a car chase in Bond 24. I want to see the actual chase and know clearly how Bond and company get from point A to point B. Granted, under Mendes's direction, Smith might produce better work than he has for Nolan, but I still would feel more confident with Baird on the pic.

Regarding Zimmer...eh, doesn't sound like a likely possibility to me. I mean, sure he's popular and everything, but why wouldn't Mendes choose Newman again? And even if it's a matter of Michael and Barbara saying they want such-and-such a composer, why wouldn't they go with Newman again after he nabbed them an Oscar nom on Skyfall? Doesn't add up unless something else is going on. Personally, as much as I actually do like Zimmer (even his recent work like Man of Steel), I don't think he has the right sound for James Bond. Zimmer on Bond isn't something I would like to see at all.

I would much rather have Newman back, even though I still think Newman isn't the greatest fit for Bond either. Won't go into all the reasons why (and I have warmed significantly to his Skyfall score), but essentially, I think he still clings a little too closely to his trademark sound and doesn't have a good grasp on when and how to use the James Bond theme (in my opinion, of course). My bottom line on the matter of composer: Arnold would be ideal; Newman seems most likely; there are better choices out there than Zimmer or Newman.