SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Benny wrote: »
    Austria, Rome and Morocco. Shades of The Living Daylights there methinks. Not bad locations if they're true. But I have to agree with @Samuel001 , it's still in the early stages of location scouting.
    Wouldn't mind seeing Bond return to the US at some point soon. And of course Australia. That's a must. ;)

I was commenting that as well to @4EverBonded this morning. Good in my book!

I completely agree with you and @Samuel001, still early scouting. But that alone leaves me excited.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    ggl007 wrote: »
    ...and Austria and the Alps perhaps are only here for the snow: now I'm sure we'll see Craig skiing.

The first thing I thought when I read Austria. :D

I am hoping for a great Craig ski chase
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I want the locations shown on film, just like always. I want to see the budget on the big screen.

I agree and that was 'Cubby' Broccoli's mantra after all - to see every penny up on the big screen.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I want the locations shown on film, just like always. I want to see the budget on the big screen.

I agree and that was 'Cubby' Broccoli's mantra after all - to see every penny up on the big screen.

Indeed. If the budget is $200 million, I want to see as much of that as I can in the final film.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Locations alone don't impress me. QoS had plenty of locations, but poorly used for the most part, IMO. I want to see just one or two very well used locations and I'd love a really fantastical bit of production design - a villain's lair or battle location that just feels really big and spectacular. Not CGI - a real, crazy set. Of course it has to be beautifully designed - not like that Ken Adam knock-off rubbish in the DAD ice palace.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Italy and Austria again? If true, I guess Quantum is back.
    Dan Craig seems designed for Italy

The sharp suits, the sunglasses, the racing sport cars. Rome could be a fine location

Austrian alps could be back in TLD's land but it could be anywhere. Still hoping for a Scandinivian exert. But Morocco could be another middle eastern country. It depends on story

They haven't gone for US and Australian locales as their are large swathes of the world unexplored

Rome could be a meeting place for Quantum.just as Paris was in Thunderball
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Italy/Austria and Quantum is an interesting connection. I'd be happy, yet honestly surprised if Quantum did return.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Italy and/or Austria (i.e. Southern Tyrolia) may stand-in for snow & ice scenes scripted to play in Norway. That would just leave Rome as a "real" location.
    actonsteve wrote: »
    Dan Craig seems designed for Italy
    Rome could be a meeting place for Quantum.just as Paris was in Thunderball

Perhaps infiltrating The Vatican?.... no wait, that has already been done in MI:3.

Thinking Colosseum here.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It really is all about how the locations are used.

Bond's been to Italy a lot, especially during the Craig era so far but Rome hasn't been used at all. Rome doesn't look like lake Garda, Talamone nor Sienna. Also, the locations really need to be used and not squandered or used so cheaply. Bond movies should evoke that essence of atmospheric wonderment and the 3 locations mentioned if used and used to great effect can achieve this magnificently.

Morocco is the interesting one. Pay attention if they use Ouzerzate studios. This was meant to be a big impressive one. Which part of the middle east shall they use?

That's an interesting perspective, however I don't thinkk it necessarily means that.
    Sandy wrote: »

That's an interesting perspective, however I don't thinkk it necessarily means that.

Just a guess. Not necessarilly accurate, but one wonders if Bond is not going to tie up some loose ends, when those two locations have featured in the last Quantum film, CR also had Italy. He met Quantum in those two locations, and why not go some place new if not for those reasons?
    I would be incredibly disappointed if Quantum reappeared but I know it won't. Sam Mendes is more clever than that.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited July 2014 Posts: 108
    Hmm. Perhaps, but it's also the general vicinity of Blofeld's Switzerland-Italy stomping grounds, and he is a character that Eon just re-acquired, along with SPECTRE. The western alps of Austria easily could "stand-in" for Switzerland and it would be logistically cheaper to film there.

Also, in Thunderball or OHMSS, Fleming wrote that Blofeld hid out in Scandinavia (Sweden) during World War II and used it as a base of operations. I wonder if John Logan or P+W are culling ideas from those stories.

If Eon was going to reintroduce Blofeld in Bond 24, these are kinda the locations one would expect.

All in all, these reported locations are very interesting.

Hmmm back to you. Interesting observation, @Strelik.
    I would be incredibly disappointed if Quantum reappeared but I know it won't. Sam Mendes is more clever than that.

really hope your wrong I want Quantum back

Risico007 wrote: »

really hope your wrong I want Quantum back

I would like to see them return as well, even though I seriously doubt that they will.

I think the way to bring them back would be to have it be shown that they were behind the global financial crisis that began in 2008. After they melted down the world's economy, they simply sat back in the shadows and, to borrow a phrase from Nolan's Batman films, watched the world burn, while managing to grab some political power here and there in places where they could tap into the public anger towards the financial institutions. Now that a good portion of the world's nations are on the road to recovery, they decide that it's time to focus their energies elsewhere and take their schemes to a new level.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited July 2014 Posts: 3,277
    It's really funny to see that the good folks from MI6 don't mention me anymore in the HOME page, when I share something new here, like they used to do before. :(

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11442
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It really is all about how the locations are used.

Bond's been to Italy a lot, especially during the Craig era so far but Rome hasn't been used at all. Rome doesn't look like lake Garda, Talamone nor Sienna. Also, the locations really need to be used and not squandered or used so cheaply. Bond movies should evoke that essence of atmospheric wonderment and the 3 locations mentioned if used and used to great effect can achieve this magnificently.

Yes. It's been a while since a location has been used really well in Bond I think. Venice with all the 'Don't Look Now' references in CR was very evocative. But QoS squandered most of its locations and SF barely featured any real locations at all. Scotland was massively underused and the London scenes were (for me at least) not all that interesting. Istanbul felt like it could have been anywhere (we know this for a fact, as first choice was India).

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Wait for the " oh not an Aston Martin again" comments to come flooding in.

Sounds fine to me, went to Rome last year, beautiful city and would definitely would return, should make for thrilling chase sequence.

Of course Mendes, BB & MGW haven't got a clue what they are doing, so I've no doubt this will be decried by the usual bunch who have far more of an idea how to make a Bond film than EON do.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Wait for the " oh not an Aston Martin again" comments to come flooding in.

Sounds fine to me, went to Rome last year, beautiful city and would definitely would return, should make for thrilling chase sequence.

Of course Mendes, BB & MGW haven't got a clue what they are doing, so I've no doubt this will be decried by the usual bunch who have far more of an idea how to make a Bond film than EON do.

Here comes the flood just for you then Shardlake....

Not going to go as far as to slag them off out right as it could be great but an Aston Martin chase? Really? Any chance of some originality here? That will now be 4 Aston chases in the last 5 films - 5 out of 5 if you count the SF sequence with the machine guns (even though it was stationary) and it rises to 6 out of 8 if you also go back and include GE.

And if we ignore the fact that it is an Aston and just call it the Bond/gadget car (obviously we had the BMW deal in the 90's that should've been an Aston by rights) involved in a chase/action of some kind then that will now be 8 out of 8. Give it a rest FFS!

In the first 33 years and 16 films of the series we only had the Bond/gadget car in a chase in GF, TB (and thats mimimal), TSWLM and TLD - a proportion I would say is about right. It was an exciting novelty when Q presented Bond with a new gadget laden Aston in TLD as the last one had been the Lotus. Now it happens every film its just very, very dull. One per actor's tenure seems reasonable. Poor old Brozza had a monotonous 4 in 4 yet still they havent learnt to reign it in and now DC also has 3 in 3, seemingly rising to 4 in 4.

Dont get me wrong I always love to see Bond in an Aston but the sequences where Bond commandeers something unsuitable (LALD, FYEO, GE) are generally more entertaining. How about one of those for DC.

Just as long as they actually get in someone who can edit this time I suppose.
    I suspect this car chase will be very different from the the one in CR and the one in QOS. There is no way Q would let Bond drive a car without gadgets. ;) Also, I'm sure the gadgets in the car won't be over the top since Sam Mendes is the director but I hope they will be clever and new.

I'm happy about the Aston Martin, happy about the car chase and I hope Rome won't be a main location since Bond has already spent way too much time in Italy in the last 3 films. Rome as the PTS only would be great.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,425
    So a PTS with an Aston Martin chase in Italy? Any chance they can throw in some Romeos?

Then we'd have something REALLY orginal...

I'm guessing that this is still very much hearsay. But shouldn't someone tell Mendes to watch QoS?
    It appears Mr Powell might have shown too much, both photos (and comments) were removed from his Instagram feed :-?
    It appears Mr Powell might have shown too much, both photos (and comments) were removed from his Instagram feed :-?

Probably. :) Also I'm wondering, was this photo taken in Morocco or Austria?
    I'm pretty sure it's Austria and if it is, it means they are looking for a location up in the mountains.

Probably. :) Also I'm wondering, was this photo taken in Morocco or Austria?
    I'm pretty sure it's Austria and if it is, it means they are looking for a location up in the mountains.

I've been asking myself the same thing, it does look Austria to me, judging by the look of the collar in the small cow on the left, but it could well be roman countryside. Or it could be nothing, but I don't believe in coincidences at this stage. Let's see if the photo vanishes as well.