Coolest thing you'll see all day thread.

Comments

That list starts out pretty mediocre but gets into gear at some point.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    83846601b6b5d218e23f5eb4dc1e23db.jpg
    wumo565d91096e0808.34481148.png
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I think you're going to love this! :D

22519289_1704020729637527_2587435824547968448_n.jpg?oh=599187837a86c47fd572f33f86ab9435&oe=5A6FEE72

http://bit.ly/2kMslxn
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, cool for a certain crowd, I guess. Not a drinker myself, but I don't think Bogie would mind some folks moderating their drinking with one of those. Despite popular opinion, he wasn't a drunkard. ;)
    ed83f048504e3b8cd2e7e361d95cc7d8.jpg
    @ClarkDevlin, cool for a certain crowd, I guess. Not a drinker myself, but I don't think Bogie would mind some folks moderating their drinking with one of those. Despite popular opinion, he wasn't a drunkard. ;)
    Definitely. Bogie showed that tough exterior and all, in the films one would assume he’s the type of actor who doesn’t find himself away from an alcoholic drink, whereas in fact, like you said, Braders, he wasn’t. I drink myself when the occasion calls for it. But, never to a level where I know my head is spinning.

Think these three bottles will end up nicely in my collection inside my cabinet. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Very much enjoyed that analysis, @Creasy47.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This is disturbing.
    581b8e855a631740d6df4c50af72ecaf.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That is horrid.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Mario one has always creeped me out.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nintendo does realistic Mario much better. :))
    SMO_Art_-_Mario.png
    Murdock wrote: »
    Nintendo does realistic Mario much better. :))
    SMO_Art_-_Mario.png

Then you see him around actual human characters and he feels all strange again. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Then you see him around actual human characters and he feels all strange again. ;)

Not so much to me since he mingled with regular human characters in cartoons as well. :D
    Am I the only one who thinks realistic Charlie Brown looks a little like Daniel Craig?
    Even got the comma of hair for Craig Bond. They should go there.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Moral of the story: If you're going to drive over 100+ consecutive speed bumps at high speed, do so in a Toyota Land Cruiser. It definitely fared the best. I really should get that game someday.
    That was cool to see.
    But the horrifically disturbing destruction of the yellow 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air should have had a warning.
    Not quite the coolest, but possibly the dumbest, most uninformed. Watch Mojo countdowns are usually pretty good but not this one.

Look at #6. If they knew anything, they'd know that it was done for real. Idiots.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,471
    I can't endure the Watch Mojo videos any more these days. Too uninformed and clueless.
    Not quite the coolest, but possibly the dumbest, most uninformed. Watch Mojo countdowns are usually pretty good but not this one.

Look at #6. If they knew anything, they'd know that it was done for real. Idiots.

When I saw L&LD on that list I said, "Oh no."

I honestly can't tell what point they are making by including it? I mean, can a stunt truly be called unrealistic when the jump was done for real? Sure, it's convenient Bond would find a curved bridge and it was clearly a section of bridge constructed to aid in the jump, but it still happened exactly as presented, making it in the realm of realistic. No?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I can't endure the Watch Mojo videos any more these days. Too uninformed and clueless.
    I bailed out on them over a year ago.

Me too. Exactly my words. Not to mention the way the narrator says "Scar-A-Monga". Watch the film please. Ugh.
    It looks like Watch Mojo have...
    200.gif
    ...lost their mojo.

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
    I'm sorry but I just can't resist.....baby, yeah!

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I honestly can't tell what point they are making by including it? I mean, can a stunt truly be called unrealistic when the jump was done for real? Sure, it's convenient Bond would find a curved bridge and it was clearly a section of bridge constructed to aid in the jump, but it still happened exactly as presented, making it in the realm of realistic. No?

I Think you may mean TMWTGG.

Also, there's a difference between realistic and possible. Yes, it was possible to do the stunt for real since they worked out everything beforehand, but it's still unrealistic that someone would think to do that in the spur of the moment, and actually land it.

So to give an example, it's unrealistic that a 50 year old who has no experience in climbing would be able to scale mount Everest, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. People do things that are unrealistic all the time.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 28,694

I Think you may mean TMWTGG.
    Oy vey, good catch. Doesn't help that I was looking at pictures of L&LD beforehand and my brain had me type the film in the place of TMWTGG.
    Also, there's a difference between realistic and possible. Yes, it was possible to do the stunt for real since they worked out everything beforehand, but it's still unrealistic that someone would think to do that in the spur of the moment, and actually land it.

So to give an example, it's unrealistic that a 50 year old who has no experience in climbing would be able to scale mount Everest, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. People do things that are unrealistic all the time.
    Well, Watch Mojo were always going to invite a battle of syntax when they chose to start their video with this line:

"No amount of nitrous is making these stunts a reality."

A line that implies, and nearly confirms, that their goal was to compile a list of stunts that couldn't happen without heavy usage of movie magic, special effects and all the other bells and whistles. And it makes sense that they would word it that way, as the vast, vast majority of their list includes "stunts" that were aided by special effects or that were compiled of numerous shots to make them appear seamless. The only stunts on the list that aren't visibly tweaked with a use of effects are #7 and #9, but even then you can tell that multiple cuts and engineering on set were used to heighten the scene and make the cars do things they wouldn't be able to in real life, under real conditions and the forces of physics.

The stunt from TMWTGG, however, stands as the only stunt that was 100% done for real on the list, in camera and with no cuts, crazy effects or anything else: it's just a decently fast car going off a bridge into a loop. Now, perhaps that exact thing couldn't happen 19 times out of 20 in real life, as you wouldn't be in a position to loop a car on a bridge while out and about, but the actual stunt itself doesn't fit the exact definition of "unrealistic" because it wasn't unfeasible (it was done for real) or nonviable (the performance of the stunt proves it is possible in reality).

If something unrealistic lacks a sense of reality, and the opposite of the term is something that represents what is possible and true to life, then I think a stunt done in camera with no edits or effects whatsoever would quality as far more realistic than unrealistic, especially since TMWTGG is the only one on the list that isn't helped by movie magic, making it even more strange why it's there. Is it slightly zany and something probably only to appear in a film? Sure. But, it respects physics 100% and is possible with a damn good stunt driver. ;)