Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Clearly it's tongue-in-cheek, but does that mean we should automatically accept its boneheadedness?

Nah. If you can't get past the plot then it's up to you and you're obviously allowed to dislike the film because of it. I was just saying that an OTT story doesn't necessarily make the film bad, and explaining why I felt Kingsman did well while UNCLE flopped.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @thelivingroyale are you now really trying to make a plot sensible that isn't in the slightest and doesn't give a @theWizard? Nobody here finds it odd the security Eggsy has at home is, let's say, below par? You know, beeing a top spy and all? Nah, it's all for laughs and giggles (you know, because of the situation it gets him in with his GF!). And I can keep on going on and on and on.

Not that I mind so many people liking it, but where The Man From UNCLE was slayed for the exact same reasons as Kingsman is praised, I can only watch in disbelief. At least UNCLE had style and flair. Or is it the horror-element that makes it çool'? I just wonder.

I don't mind the plot not making sense at all. It's meant to be stupid and OTT. It's just little things that bugged me like what they did with certain characters, which has nothing to do with how believeable/serious the story was.

I think Kingsman has done better than UNCLE because it's self aware and at least has the violence and general out there-ness to set itself apart. UNCLE was just a bland attempt at recapturing the magic of the Connery movies but a period piece is never going to live up to the real thing. A spy movie needs to do something to set itself apart imo. Kingsman has the violence, the shock factor from stuff like the church scene or the Glastonbury scene and a general sense of self awareness and subversiveness. Bourne owns the whole gritty post 9/11 cut back to Langley ballpark. MI changes things up every film (or at least it used to) and has the insane stunts that Bond had lacked lately. UNCLE didn't really do anything to set itself apart. I guess there was the buddy movie aspect? But that wasn't enough and you could even argue that Kingsman already did that with Harry and Eggsy.

UNCLE felt like a Bond knockoff (to be fair that's probably down to the source material being one of those Bond inspired 60s TV shows), Kingsman is a homage that actually acknowledges Bond and plays with those tropes, and is violent and insane enough to differentiate itself from the films that inspired it. But I think we've all been pretty clear about why we like these movies so I don't get why you don't understand the appeal. If they're not for you then fair enough, nobody's forcing you to watch them.
    I thought UNCLE's problem was that it came across as inauthentic. Actors reading off a page rather than embodying the characters. Surface flash and glitz without proper character development.

The first Kingsman film at least properly developed Eggsy, Roxy and Harry so that we would have a reason to root for them. Moreover the acting quality was just in a different league (it's not even worth comparing).

Add to that a dynamite villain and a sexy and deadly henchwoman and Bob's your uncle.

Completey agree. The first Kingsman is one of those films where everything just came together and made watching it a really satisfying experience. UNCLE just paled in comparison in pretty much every way. I might have enjoyed it more if it came out say, between QoS and SF, but it came out a few years too late imo. 2015 was full of spy films. You had Kingsman a few months before and Spectre a few months after, plus Mission Impossible, and even Spy was surprisingly fun. UNCLE just felt redundant amongst all those movies because it really wasn't that good and had nothing to set itself apart aside from being a period piece, but to me that actually hurt the film because as you say it didn't feel authentic and it just left me thinking "I could be watching a real 60s spy film right now, that's actually really good and has Sean Connery in his prime instead of these two blocks of wood". I usually really like Guy Ritchie as well so I was quite disappointed. Had its moments, there were some funny bits, but you're right that it didn't feel authentic and I think it just didn't do enough to set itself apart and make itself worth seeing.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    UNCLE made no impression on me whatsoever. I actually fell asleep when I rented it and had no reason to go back and watch it
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I definitely prefer UNCLE over Kingsman by a wide margin. But, that doesn’t mean I don’t like Kingsman.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I was really disappointed with TMFU, still looking forward to a second film and
    Feel, they'll make a much better film next time. Loved Kingsman and loved
    Kingsman 2.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    edited October 2017 Posts: 3,675
    Did Matthew Vaughn have a reason to kill Roxy?

Taron Egerton said this about it:

I’ve never really discussed with [director Matthew Vaughn] why he made that decision [to kill off Roxy]… but, for my experience, I really missed her being around.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I guess it was just to add an even bigger emotional impact behind Poppy's scheme/Eggsy's inevitable revenge. However, it still irks me when sequels kill off a character in the first few minutes like it did.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,401
    As seen in the first film, you're never really dead. Just see what happened with Colin Firth. I expect either her or Merlin to come back.
    As seen in the first film, you're never really dead. Just see what happened with Colin Firth. I expect either her or Merlin to come back.
    Nah, Merlin's dead. I thought a headshot was pretty definitive, but they pulled out some ridiculous contraption to correct that. Getting blown to a million pieces via a landmine? No way.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Nah, Merlin's dead. I thought a headshot was pretty definitive, but they pulled out some ridiculous contraption to correct that. Getting blown to a million pieces via a landmine? No way.
    @Creasy47
    Unless they acquire his DNA and make a clone... or a Life Model Decoy.
    @ClarkDevlin, damn, you're right. Would be nice if that panned out!
    I'm guessing that would be the case. In fact, I just single-handedly came up with a MacGuffin as such in my mind I can easily see the motivation the villain would have.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 2,115
    //UNCLE felt like a Bond knockoff (to be fair that's probably down to the source material being one of those Bond inspired 60s TV shows), //

One where Ian Fleming was involved with for several months (October 1962 to June 1963).

• //I think Kingsman has done better than UNCLE because it's self aware and at least has the violence and general out there-ness to set itself apart.//

Matthew Vaughn actually was seeking to do UNCLE, circa 2005, with the idea of using what we'd eventually get with Kingsman, just that it would have the UNCLE name.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    In that case I'm happy Guy Richie got the chance and took it. Kingsman has ended up as a sort of explosvie, high-violence ballet with no tension at all for me.
    I like Kingsman, but UNCLE is way better. And I'm talking about the film, not the TV series.
    Did Matthew Vaughn have a reason to kill Roxy?

Taron Egerton said this about it:

I’ve never really discussed with [director Matthew Vaughn] why he made that decision [to kill off Roxy]… but, for my experience, I really missed her being around.
    Unless Roxy managed to escape to the hidden bunker and has been waiting all this time for someone to dig all that rubble off the door! ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin

New spy/action TV show with Mark Strong: Deep State.

Looks damn exciting!

Mark Strong always delivers!

Amazing supporting cast, too! :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My kind of film, and I agree that Mark Strong is always a class act. Saw him up close on Broadway a few years back and boy can this guy act. Totally looking forward to it.
    What I love about Mark Strong as a whole is that he can play villainous characters brilliantly. And if you need a hero reacts to a villain like a villain, this guy is the one to look up to. Loved him ever since the first time I saw him in Sherlock Holmes, acting opposite Robert Downey, Jr.
    Just watched this as i pre-ordered it on SKY Store and i loved it...|!!
    Me too. :-D
    Me too. :-D

just fun...dont read anything into it.....
    Absolutely ! Simply fun from start to finish.
    not as good as the original but it all made sense to me
    Agreed. The first one is still better.
    but a satisfying follow up for me.
    How can anyone not like a henchman with a mechanical arm, a plot to kill millions
    and some nifty gadgets ! ........ with a great soundtrack. Just switch off and enjoy.
    I think the Dr. Seuss-like set design and the entirety of the Glastonbury sequence are what put me off. The first one had a bit more mature take to it.
    How can anyone not like a henchman with a mechanical arm, a plot to kill millions
    and some nifty gadgets ! ........ with a great soundtrack. Just switch off and enjoy.

thats it !!
    no pressure on the film ala Bond........a great double bill on a sickie day !!!