Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd really rather not. He doesn't look like Roger Moore. I've seen him in other stuff, and he's okay. But, he's certainly not Bond material. And we know Eon wouldn't select actors who played pseudo-Bonds before.

Wasn't Brosnan a pseudo Bond in Remington Steele? I've never seen it but I know that's what got him on the Bond radar
    He really wasn't a pseudo-Bond in Remington Steele. He was a pseudo-Charles Lytton and Inspector Clouseau merged into one, if you ask me.
    I'd really rather not. He doesn't look like Roger Moore. I've seen him in other stuff, and he's okay. But, he's certainly not Bond material. And we know Eon wouldn't select actors who played pseudo-Bonds before.

Wasn't Brosnan a pseudo Bond in Remington Steele? I've never seen it but I know that's what got him on the Bond radar

Yep,Brosnan was always a pseudo Bond,even in 'The Fourth Protocol' when he played a Russian spy,i always thought Bond.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yep,Brosnan was always a pseudo Bond,even in 'The Fourth Protocol' when he played a Russian spy,i always thought Bond.
    Brosnan wasn't a pseudo Bond in Remington Steele. And just because he played a Soviet assassin in Protocol didn't make him an instant pseudo-Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yep,Brosnan was always a pseudo Bond

Exactly.

Yep,Brosnan was always a pseudo Bond

Exactly.
    And that's downright inaccurate.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Personally its was his reaction to the run by fruiting by Mrs. Doubtfire that landed him the role
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117
    I had an absolute blast.

Little tip for you - have a couple of Belgian beers first. I have a few days off so thought I'd take myself on a cheeky Eurostar minibreak (I get cheap Eurostar subsidised by TfL - I agree it's disgusting but you mugs voted for Sadiq 'Don't let the terrorists divide us' Khan!) to Ghent. A plate of Vlaamse stoverij and a brace of 7.5% beers under my belt and the rain starts (don't think I've ever been to Belgium and it hasn't rained) so the options are either sit in the cathedral and seek reconciliation for all my sins with the Lord until it stops or go and see Kingsman.

I really can't see why the reviews were so harsh; yes it's too long but whereas the first film felt like it was constantly ripping off Bond this felt more part of its own universe. Yes the Bond references were still there but it certainly had more of its own identity.

Again the action is not amazing and the reliance on CGI is depressing. I think either the Glastonbury or Italy sequence could've been ditched to bring the running time down and the villain's scheme is basically the same as the first film with the general public all about to die. Call me old fashioned but what's wrong with a classic bomb countdown? And the fact that
    being shot in the head at point blank range is now meaningless really ruined Merlin's death as I was thinking the whole time that they will bring him back.

But this nitpicking misses the point. This is basically a Roger Moore (although Egerton is hardly in that league) Bond film turned up to 11 and not restricted by a PG cert and what's wrong with that?

My one big criticism is that for a franchise that prides itself on homages and callbacks I can't believe
    when Colin Firth says 'If I save the world can I have two tickets to your next concert?' that they didn't have Elton John say 'If you save the world you can do it in the asshole.'

It's not often I laugh out loud (The Wizard refuses to type LOL) but after Elton's fabulous 'F-bomb off or I will F-bomb* you up' I emitted a genuinely audible guffaw. Can only assume that despite being a good sport Elton thought it was a bit too much as I'm sure Vaughn wouldn't have missed a slam dunk line like this that would've brought the house down. Given the whole point is he funds his own films to get freedom from studio interference and I'm sure would love sticking it to middle America with references to gay sodomy I imagine it was Elton who decided it was a bit excessive.

Overall though tremendous fun which may be due to going in with low expectations following the (relative - I was pumped after Kick Ass) disappointment of the first film and the poor reviews.

The key thing though is setting yourself up nicely with some Belgian beer as stone cold sober it might actually be terrible.

*Obviously that line is better as originally said but the twee and infantile 'F-bomb' seems to be the only incarnation of the word we all use numerous times a day that the Mods can stomach. Alas this just ain't that kind of forum bruvs.

• edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    @TheWizardOfIce
    I don't know, I thought "backstage pass" was a perfect euphemism. That line was funny in the first one because it was so unexpected but we would have known what was coming this time around, so I think being clever with the callback was the right call.

I actually really liked the drugs plot. Although a classic bomb countdown could be cool for the next one. Or a giant space weapon of some kind. Since Kingsman is basically Roger Moore amped up to 11 it only seems right that they close out the trilogy with Eggsy's MR. Ooh and sharks. That's one of the tropes they haven't done yet. I bet Kingsman's take on the villain with a personal shark pool idea would make LTK's scene look U rated in comparison.

That's my wishlist for the next one. Space, sharks, and actually getting to see Eggsy's E type in action (the car chase was cool but using a black cab for that and then having him turn up in a classic jag in the next scene? Think they got it the wrong way round). And I read that
    Vaughn actually had Merlin survive and turn up at the wedding with robot legs but it tested poorly so he was cut. So looks like he might actually be staying dead. Personally I think his death felt unnecessary and Firth shouldn't have been bought back but at least it seems like they're showing some commitment to characters dying from here on.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I hope this one makes money and they make another one beause Ive had more fun watching the last two kingsman then the last two craig films
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I hope this one makes money and they make another one beause Ive had more fun watching the last two kingsman then the last two craig films

I'm not sure how much it cost them to advertise, but it's already exceeded its listed budget, which is good news.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'd love to see an Asian spy organization in Kingsman 3, similar to the US one in the 2nd film. I can imagine Lee Byung-Hun being just as badass as Pedro Pascal, and I hope they can team up (I haven't seen the 2nd film yet due to France getting the film a bit later, so I am unaware of the fate of Pascal's character at the end of the film, but I hope he can return for another adventure).
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,441
    In The Netherlands the movie starts with 119 screens and $981,875. First movie in February 2015 where Fox not did there own release/promotion did $545,880 and at the end deliever around 2,8 million. It is almoost 100.000 more then Hitman Bodyguard opening and moment that movie doing $3,262,512 in total. War of the Planet of apes get a litle better start and at end deliever. $3,896,300.

Those days sometimes the thirth or second week doing better in cinemas. If the movie doing 3,2 - 4.0 i think Fox can very happy.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    *Obviously that line is better as originally said but the twee and infantile 'F-bomb' seems to be the only incarnation of the word we all use numerous times a day that the Mods can stomach. Alas this just ain't that kind of forum bruvs.[/i]

Ooooh, so close to an entire post without a dig at the mods.
    But, if you are so desperate to use your little F word then there are plenty of other forums out there where the members will laugh like drains when you do so. Mostly 13 year olds, but still.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117
    NicNac wrote: »
    *Obviously that line is better as originally said but the twee and infantile 'F-bomb' seems to be the only incarnation of the word we all use numerous times a day that the Mods can stomach. Alas this just ain't that kind of forum bruvs.[/i]

But, if you are so desperate to use your little F word then there are plenty of other forums out there where the members will laugh like drains when you do so. Mostly 13 year olds, but still.

You've clearly never seen The Thick Of It then? Only probably the best comedy of the last 10 years and totally impenetrable to teenagers.

I thought the whole point of this excercise was so that 13 year olds couldn't read such words but according to you they find it hilarious? So just who are you trying to protect then?

You can ban our 'F-bombs' but now are we not even allowed to criticise it either? Seems like the slippery slope to totalitarianism to me.

You have your view and I have my contrary view. What's the point of a discussion forum if you're going to whine every time someone disagrees with you?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

You've clearly never seen The Thick Of It then? Only probably the best comedy of the last 10 years and totally impenetrable to teenagers.

I thought the whole point of this excercise was so that 13 year olds couldn't read such words but according to you they find it hilarious? So just who are you trying to protect then?

You can ban our 'F-bombs' but now are we not even allowed to criticise it either? Seems like the slippery slope to totalitarianism to me.

You have your view and I have my contrary view. What's the point of a discussion forum if you're going to whine every time someone disagrees with you?

Ah Wiz, that, as they say, is a good one. Never has anyone whined at being disagreed with quite as you have over the years. Never has anyone refused to drop an issue if they don't get the answer they want, quite like you.

But, that said, I agree we have contrary views. I stand by the forums rules and you disagree with them.

But, I'm too old and grouchy to stand too much provocation, so I'll leave the ball in your court to keep this one going if you so wish...

Ah Wiz, that, as they say, is a good one. Never has anyone whined at being disagreed with quite as you have over the years. Never has anyone refused to drop an issue if they don't get the answer they want, quite like you.

But, that said, I agree we have contrary views. I stand by the forums rules and you disagree with them.

But, I'm too old and grouchy to stand too much provocation, so I'll leave the ball in your court to keep this one going if you so wish...

I'm not interested in continuing this in the slightest. You have made your position clear: the quaint 'F-bomb' is the only accepted iteration we are allowed to use and I have adhered to that rule. The fact I think it's inane is irrelevant and won't change anything.

It was you who took things down this cul de sac so I suggest we get back to Kingsman before I have to flag you for veering wildly off topic!

Apparently, Matthew Vaughn envision the franchise to be a trilogy, and that the third film is going to be the last entry in the series.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/kingsman/news/a837316/kingsman-3-trilogy-matthew-vaughn-golden-circle-colin-firth-taron/
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Apparently, Matthew Vaughn envision the franchise to be a trilogy, and that the third film is going to be the last entry in the series.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/kingsman/news/a837316/kingsman-3-trilogy-matthew-vaughn-golden-circle-colin-firth-taron/

Good news imo. They're great movies but I think the novelty will eventually wear off. Three seems about right. I'm interested to see where they go from the end of the second one
    Carrying on straight from the end of the second and doing an OHMSS tribute maybe? Although I can't really think of any villains left to go for revenge. Maybe someone from Harry's past. I hope that Eggsy is the main character and not Channing Tatum (who I do really like as an actor) as they seemed to hint at the end.
    I'd love to see an Asian spy organization in Kingsman 3, similar to the US one in the 2nd film. I can imagine Lee Byung-Hun being just as badass as Pedro Pascal, and I hope they can team up (I haven't seen the 2nd film yet due to France getting the film a bit later, so I am unaware of the fate of Pascal's character at the end of the film, but I hope he can return for another adventure).

That sounds cool but I think there's a danger of them getting gimmicky if they go that route again. I'd prefer if it the next one didn't bother with the Statesmen either (except maybe in a cameo or joining in the finale or something) and instead just focused on the Kingsmen, especially if it's going to be the last one. An asian setting would be cool though.

That is how trilogies tend to go!

In all seriousness, I assumed as much this would happen, and am eager to see how he closes it all out.
  • If for the next one they manage to get a script as strong as the first film and come up with action scenes as cool as the second then this could be a really good trilogy imo. Actually the first two were so good that even if the third was a little weaker it'd be a great trilogy.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I myself would encourage Mark Millar to first write a really good 12 issue comic, which can then be adapted into a third film. The crazy minds of Millar and Vaughn always prove fruitful collaborators.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I believe at least a first draft for a third Kingsman film already exists, hence Matthew Vaughn suggesting Dwayne Johnson for the main villain.
    I believe at least a first draft for a third Kingsman film already exists, hence Matthew Vaughn suggesting Dwayne Johnson for the main villain.

If that pans out, it'll make the villain of each trilogy installment an American.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    About Time ;-)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I finally saw it and oh man I loved every freaking second if it.

That is all
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I've been thinking about it and here are some changes I think would have made it more on par with the first

1) No Harry. His death meant something and now the stakes feel permanently lower. Instead
    Roxy can take his role in the story. She survives the missile but just barely and this really shakes her up and knocks her confidence. This trauma takes the place of Harry's butterflies, it's this that means Eggsy and the audience isn't sure if she's all there or not. This also means no alpha gel so when she shoots Whiskey the bullet doesn't hit him in the head, just the chest or something but does send him into a coma.

2)
    No princess. Her role in the story can be filled by Eggsy's mum. This also means Eggsy actually sleeps with Charlie's girlfriend, sparing us the forced relationship drama.

3) Less CGI. Get rid of the cable car scene, replace it with a ski chase.

4) More screentime devoted to
    Whiskey's turning against them at the end. Just needed to be foreshadowed a bit more imo, the first we hear of his dead girlfriend is right before the final battle. Have her bought up earlier on. And him and Channing Tatum could probably be merged into one character.

5)
    Either ditch Merlin's death entirely or make it seem more necessary, e.g. have Eggsy and Harry (or in this case Roxy) be trying to get in undetected so his distraction actually meant something. Because in the film he sacrificed himself to take out what, five guards? Then Harry and Eggsy effortlessly killed about a hundred.

This would have got it from an 8/10 to a 9/10 easily imo.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @thelivingroyale are you now really trying to make a plot sensible that isn't in the slightest and doesn't give a @theWizard? Nobody here finds it odd the security Eggsy has at home is, let's say, below par? You know, beeing a top spy and all? Nah, it's all for laughs and giggles (you know, because of the situation it gets him in with his GF!). And I can keep on going on and on and on.

Not that I mind so many people liking it, but where The Man From UNCLE was slayed for the exact same reasons as Kingsman is praised, I can only watch in disbelief. At least UNCLE had style and flair. Or is it the horror-element that makes it çool'? I just wonder.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    @thelivingroyale are you now really trying to make a plot sensible that isn't in the slightest and doesn't give a @theWizard? Nobody here finds it odd the security Eggsy has at home is, let's say, below par? You know, beeing a top spy and all? Nah, it's all for laughs and giggles (you know, because of the situation it gets him in with his GF!). And I can keep on going on and on and on.

Not that I mind so many people liking it, but where The Man From UNCLE was slayed for the exact same reasons as Kingsman is praised, I can only watch in disbelief. At least UNCLE had style and flair. Or is it the horror-element that makes it çool'? I just wonder.

I don't mind the plot not making sense at all. It's meant to be stupid and OTT. It's just little things that bugged me like what they did with certain characters, which has nothing to do with how believeable/serious the story was.

I think Kingsman has done better than UNCLE because it's self aware and at least has the violence and general out there-ness to set itself apart. UNCLE was just a bland attempt at recapturing the magic of the Connery movies but a period piece is never going to live up to the real thing. A spy movie needs to do something to set itself apart imo. Kingsman has the violence, the shock factor from stuff like the church scene or the Glastonbury scene and a general sense of self awareness and subversiveness. Bourne owns the whole gritty post 9/11 cut back to Langley ballpark. MI changes things up every film (or at least it used to) and has the insane stunts that Bond had lacked lately. UNCLE didn't really do anything to set itself apart. I guess there was the buddy movie aspect? But that wasn't enough and you could even argue that Kingsman already did that with Harry and Eggsy.

UNCLE felt like a Bond knockoff (to be fair that's probably down to the source material being one of those Bond inspired 60s TV shows), Kingsman is a homage that actually acknowledges Bond and plays with those tropes, and is violent and insane enough to differentiate itself from the films that inspired it. But I think we've all been pretty clear about why we like these movies so I don't get why you don't understand the appeal. If they're not for you then fair enough, nobody's forcing you to watch them.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883

I don't mind the plot not making sense at all. It's meant to be stupid and OTT. It's just little things that bugged me like what they did with certain characters, which has nothing to do with how believeable/serious the story was.

I think Kingsman has done better than UNCLE because it's self aware and at least has the violence and general out there-ness to set itself apart. UNCLE was just a bland attempt at recapturing the magic of the Connery movies but a period piece is never going to live up to the real thing. A spy movie needs to do something to set itself apart imo. Kingsman has the violence, the shock factor from stuff like the church scene or the Glastonbury scene and a general sense of self awareness and subversiveness. Bourne owns the whole gritty post 9/11 cut back to Langley ballpark. MI changes things up every film (or at least it used to) and has the insane stunts that Bond had lacked lately. UNCLE didn't really do anything to set itself apart. I guess there was the buddy movie aspect? But that wasn't enough and you could even argue that Kingsman already did that with Harry and Eggsy.

UNCLE felt like a Bond knockoff (to be fair that's probably down to the source material being one of those Bond inspired 60s TV shows), Kingsman is a homage that actually acknowledges Bond and plays with those tropes, and is violent and insane enough to differentiate itself from the films that inspired it. But I think we've all been pretty clear about why we like these movies so I don't get why you don't understand the appeal. If they're not for you then fair enough, nobody's forcing you to watch them.
    I thought UNCLE's problem was that it came across as inauthentic. Actors reading off a page rather than embodying the characters. Surface flash and glitz without proper character development.

The first Kingsman film at least properly developed Eggsy, Roxy and Harry so that we would have a reason to root for them. Moreover the acting quality was just in a different league (it's not even worth comparing).

Add to that a dynamite villain and a sexy and deadly henchwoman and Bob's your uncle.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 386
    Clearly it's tongue-in-cheek, but does that mean we should automatically accept its boneheadedness?

Liked some elements but with a plot as dumb as that I lost interest.