Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

1293031323335»

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-delays-kings-man-bobs-burgers/
    prequel to the “Kingsman” franchise, being pushed back five months to August 20th.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    https://www.darkhorizons.com/third-kingsman-set-to-film-next-year/
    Out promoting “The King’s Man,” a prequel to the two “Kingsman” films, director Matthew Vaughn confirms that filming on the official ‘third’ film in the series will kick off in September next year.

Taron Egerton is expected to reprise his role of Eggsy in the movie which directly follows up both the contemporary set “Kingsman: The Secret Service” and “Kingsman: The Golden Circle,” as opposed to the WW1-era origin film “The King’s Man” which deals with the formation of the spy agency.

Vaughn confirmed to ComicBook.com that: “We’re all set to go, we start filming in September” and then confirms the next film will wrap up Eggsy’s story.

The future for the franchise seemed uncertain in the wake of 20th Century Fox’s sale to Disney combined with the pandemic which resulted in the third film stalling in the script stage, while the completed filming “The King’s Man” underwent multiple delays and is now finally arriving in early January.

Source: ComicBook.com
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interesting, thanks. And Vaughn is doing it?

I read a review of this one yesterday, sounds like it's better than the second but not up to the first.
  • Great news, if it happens. I have to say I’m skeptical that it will. I know Vaughn finances his own films, but I can’t see the prequel doing very well at the box office. I’m a fan of the series and even I keep forgetting it’s coming out. And won’t most people be watching Spiderman instead? Plus the last one was four years ago now, and does Kingsman have that much name recognition as a brand?

It’s a shame, because I am quite excited for the prequel, the last few trailers have been great. But I wish he’d just finished the Eggsy trilogy first, because I’m worried that we won’t get to see that story end now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2021 Posts: 14,936
    It has been a bit of a gap, but I think they're well-regarded. I remember visiting the shop in London and even though it was slightly out of the way, I was surprised at the near-constant stream of tourists wanting a snap there.
    You're right about it having a Spider struggle though, I'm sure it'll be a bit tough, and Omnicron probably means more people will just be choosing to make one trip to the cinema.
    NTTD really did find the sweet spot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Vaughn's surely been cooking up that Kingsman 3 script for a while now so I really hope he delivers.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 440
    As someone who didn't really like the first two films that much, I surprisingly enjoyed this quite a bit.

It's very messy, but in a way that feels ambitious rather than lazy.

It's also tonally/visually dissimilar to the first two to the extent that Vaughn feels like he just wanted to make an unrelated movie and added in the Kingsman stuff so it would get funded.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2021 Posts: 5,869
    Bar some pacing issues, I really enjoyed The Kings Man.

Definitely an improvement on The Golden Circle that's for sure.
  • As someone who didn't really like the first two films that much, I surprisingly enjoyed this quite a bit.

It's very messy, but in a way that feels ambitious rather than lazy.

It's also tonally/visually dissimilar to the first two to the extent that Vaughn feels like he just wanted to make an unrelated movie and added in the Kingsman stuff so it would get funded.

Yeah that pretty much sums up how I felt about it too. A really messy film, and I agree @Denbigh it had some pacing issues (I know there was a lot to set up but still). But I still enjoyed it a lot. And I liked how different it felt. The first one is still my favourite but I’ve got to give credit where it’s due to Vaughn, he’s been far more willing to experiment and do different things with this series in comparison to most other franchises. Even the plot of this one caught me by surprise. I really didn’t expect
    Conrad’s death
    at all, and the trailers seemed to hint that Rasputin was the main villain. I assumed they were going to save uncovering the organisation behind him for Eggsy’s third film.

Not really a fan of the Kingsman name being literal though. The fantasy superhero take on the genre they had, the premise of an independent organisation, allowed them to sidestep all the real world baggage that Craig era Bond has had to deal with. Obviously that’d be more messed up in reality, they’re accountable to nobody, but it’s so absurd that it puts the whole thing squarely in the realm of fantasy. But tying it into the British royal family kind of undermines that. I think the first one worked really well because you had Miller there balancing out Vaughn’s more conservative tendancies (apparently it was him who pushed for a working class hero). Without him it has gotten a bit dodgy in some ways imo. But still, this is a film with
    a Blofeld esque baddie who starts a SPECTRE type organisation made up of real historical figures who mastermind World War One in an attempt to gain Scottish independance
    so it’s probably best not to overthink it. Looking forward to the next one, hope Vaughn can finish Eggsy’s story off as well as he started it.
    Naming the Kingsman after the tailor shop would be like renaming U.N.C.L.E. agents Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin as "The Man from Del Floria's". BTW, of course Del Floria's tailor shop IS the inspiration for the Kingsman tailor shop.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Bar some pacing issues, I really enjoyed The Kings Man.

Definitely an improvement on The Golden Circle that's for sure.

Looking forward to seeing this next week if I can!
    I loved the first one, but hated the second, trailer is a hoot, particularly Rasputin!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,925
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I loved the first one, but hated the second
    Same. In my house, Kingsman is a standalone, not a series! ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I was on the fence on this one but I do want to see it now.

Golden Circle is better than the first one.

I'll see myself out.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Saw it last night, now that it released here in Germany. Still on the fence, but on first viewing, I lean towards the negatives. Messy film describes it very well, I would say. I think I was just in the wrong mindset. I had rewatched the first one and kind of expected to go from there and it turns out I sould have watched 1917 as preparation...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This seems to have appeared on Disney +, which is good.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Saw it last night, now that it released here in Germany. Still on the fence, but on first viewing, I lean towards the negatives. Messy film describes it very well, I would say. I think I was just in the wrong mindset. I had rewatched the first one and kind of expected to go from there and it turns out I sould have watched 1917 as preparation...

I have about 30 minutes left in my first viewing of it and "very messy" hits the nail on the head. It's tackling way too many world-spanning politics and characters for a prequel. It honestly feels like it could've been any other original film and doesn't really feel like it belongs in the Kingsmen universe at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,936
    I've watched it now and I think it does seem to miss that Kingsman feel for a lot of it (it becomes a bit too talky for a while, which is a very odd thing for a Km film), but then it suddenly comes alive in the climax, which is very entertaining stuff.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Its dropping on Hulu tomorrow. I'll watch it then. I loved the other 2 so I'm excited, although slightly cautious, especially with "messy" being thrown around.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I've seen it and I must say I like the film. It lacks the fun factor of the other two films but introduces another one instead. You see, the early 20th Century setting works in a different way than the two-minutes-into-the-future playfulness of The Secret Service and The Golden Circle but what they do with it is quite interesting. Fiennes steals the show, by the way. The man sure can act! Is the film a bit "messy"? Perhaps, although I'd say the film knows exactly what it's doing and, like the old Bond films, enjoys hopping from place to place. Tonally uneven, then? No more or less than the other two, I'd say. Sure, The King's Man isn't quite as slick as The Secret Service, but then, neither was The Golden Circle. Nothing is likely going to beat that first film or the comic it is based on. Those two are perfection in my opinion. But after The King's Man finished, I immediately told my wife I want another one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    haven t seen the first, but gave the second one a try when it was on some tv channel. I couldn t even finish it, it was that bad.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    haven t seen the first, but gave the second one a try when it was on some tv channel. I couldn t even finish it, it was that bad.

Doesn't surprise me, @Thunderfinger. If you haven't seen the first film, the second will neither make sense to you nor allow you to get emotionally involved with the characters.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit I quite enjoyed the second one; I didn’t think it was a massive downturn in quality even if the first one was sweeter.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @DarthDimi Good to hear you liked it. I haven't seen it yet but want to watch it soon.

@Thunderfinger The first film is one of my favourite films ever and probably my best cinema experience ever. The second film was fun in the cinema but it didn't stand out when I watched it at home and some scenes are defintely "too much".
    Don't watch it on TV (they usually cut out the best parts!)
    The second one definitely has a case of sequel-itis
    It is definitely lagging in the middle portions. However, the finale in Poppyland is batshit crazy fun IMO. I still need to continue watching the new one. I got about 15 minutes in but was continually distracted. I'll probably watch the whole thing tonight.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yeah I feel The Golden Circle took the wrong things from the first film, and went too overboard. To be honest, the only thing I enjoyed was Julianne Moore's performance.
    I hated the first Kingsman.Terrible movie so I didn’t bother with the sequel.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    The first Kingsman film was ultra-stylish and a nice surprise...even if the Bond influence was mega-visible. I still can't finish the second film, I usually stop it after Eggsy does Moore's Bond with his underwater car, so I'm not sure I'm going to bother watching the latest one.