Kingsman: The Great Game (2019)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd love to see him in a villainous capacity; I think the only thing keeping him from joining will be his upcoming slate of films. He's a busy man these days.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, and also a bit overexposed I'd say. I think he'd be well placed to take a year away.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd love to see him in a villainous capacity; I think the only thing keeping him from joining will be his upcoming slate of films. He's a busy man these days.

Johnson is currently filming Hobbs & Shaw with Jason Statham, due for August 2019. Of his 3 other films for next year, 2 are in post-production (Fighting with My Family and Jungle Cruise). And the 4th is Jumanji 3, due for December 2019, so that's the one that could be in the way of him joining Kingsman 3, considering he has Fast & Furious 9 and Red Notice due in April 2020 and June 2020, respectively.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    He's busy isn't he?
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    Worth the watch. So on point.

I love both Kingsman movies and welcome a third, but I continue to hope that the Statesmen don't overwhelm Eggsy's story. Thankfully, they didn't in Golden Circle.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The third Kingsman film will be the final installment in the Eggsy story arc. The Statesman movies will be completely detached from the Kingsman arc, at least from what Vaughn told us. Although, if successful, I can easily guess the prequel Kingsman movie will spawn a new trilogy in the franchise.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Kingsman: The Great Game, And wil possible have Matthew Goode.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/bruhl-dance-ifans-joining-kingsman-prequel/
    Daniel Bruhl (“The Alienist”) and Charles Dance (“Game of Thrones”) have signed on while Matthew Goode (“Watchmen”) and Rhys Ifans (“The Amazing Spider-Man”) are in talks to join the upcoming “Kingsman” prequel at 20th Century Fox.

The film takes place in the early 1900s and would follow the gestation of the UK gentleman spy agency, and will have more of a period drama feel than a high-energy action thriller like the two previous movies.

Matthew Vaughn is expected to helm the project, titled “Kingsman: The Great Game

“Kingsman: The Great Game” is set to begin filming in January in the UK ahead of a November 8th 2019 release.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe

Aaron-Taylor Johnson, who played the lead role in Kick-Ass, has joined Kingsman: The Great Game. Matthew Goode, Gemma Arterton, and Tom Hollander have also just joined the cast. They join Rhys Ifans, Daniel Brühl, Charles Dance, Harris Dickinson, Ralph Fiennes, Djimon Hounsou, and Alison Steadman.
    Brilliant. I wonder when filming is set to begin.
    @ClarkDevlin Apparently, filming has already started! About a week ago.

Aaron-Taylor Johnson, who played the lead role in Kick-Ass, has joined Kingsman: The Great Game. Matthew Goode, Gemma Arterton, and Tom Hollander have also just joined the cast. They join Rhys Ifans, Daniel Brühl, Charles Dance, Harris Dickinson, Ralph Fiennes, Djimon Hounsou, and Alison Steadman.

So 3 actors (Ralph Fiennes, Gemma Arterton and Charles Dance) with Bond films on their CV. Matthew Goode read the audiobook for Forever and a Day. Tom Hollander played one of the gangsters in the 2010 radio version of Goldfinger. And of course Charles Dance played Ian Fleming himself.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This has a pretty damn good cast.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Superb cast. I have a feeling this one will be really good. So glad Arterton is back in the spy game too.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,690

I'm sad to say I forgot to add one other actor confirmed for this film: the legendary Stanley Tucci.

Edit: Can I suggest that the thread title be edited, now that Kingsman: The Great Game is currently filming & comes out later this year?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'm in two minds about it really. I wish they hadn't bought Colin Firth back. His death had a genuine impact in the first one, this just seems like they're pandering. Also seems like they might kill Roxy off at the beginning just to raise the stakes (and because they have too many new characters) which would be a poor move imo. She grew alongside Eggsy in the first one so I hope they don't pull an Aliens and kill her off in the first five minutes. Not sure I like the American Kingsman gimmick either, we got enough worldbuilding in the first and I would have been happy with a straight sequel following Eggsy and Roxy on a proper spy mission.

It does look like a lot of fun though. The cast is great, it looks as stylish as the first and the action looks spectacular (so glad they're doing a car chase, the gadget packed spy car was one of the few Bond tropes I missed in the first one). I'm definitely going to see it in the cinema based off how much I enjoyed the first one. Can't say I'm not skeptical but I have faith in Vaughn to deliver as he always does.

Colin Firth and the wardrobe are the only good things about Kingsman. They are dire imitations of the spy genre.....the main problem being they are neither funny enough to be a comedy nor cool or entertaining enough to be an spy action film. I’m surprised at Vaughn who made the excellent Layercake and could have been a contender to direct Bond. All IMO mind.
  • Would have rather seen another film with Eggsy. Vaughn seems to be drifting further and further away from the class politics and Kick Ass/Scream esque "real world" angle that gave the first one its heart towards more standard spy fantasy stuff.

I'll still see it as I really enjoyed the first two but I think with all these spin offs and films that he's apparently planning he's really overestimating how much mileage the brand actually has.
    I did like the first Kingsman. Haven’t seen it for a couple of years, however.

The second one, though, didn’t leave me on the edge of my seat and has turned into a self-parody.
  • I did like the first Kingsman. Haven’t seen it for a couple of years, however.

The second one, though, didn’t leave me on the edge of my seat and has turned into a self-parody.

It was quite self indulgent and I still think they really shouldn't have bought back Colin Firth, but I still thought it was a lot of fun. It also seemed to have something to say (drug laws) and carried on Eggsy's story from the first one.

But my worry is that Vaughn is slowly phasing out the stuff that grounded the first one in favour of doubling down on the wacky/OTT Roger Moore but violent stuff. Which personally doesn't appeal to me at all. Golden Circle was already in danger of doing that and with all these spinoffs and stuff I think he genuinely thinks that Kingsman is an amazing original concept (it isn't, it's very derivative but this worked on the first one because they were self aware about it) and will lose sight of what gave the first one its heart.

Maybe it's because Miller isn't involved anymore. I read an interview that talked about how Vaughn wanted Eggsy to be an etonian who dreamed of being like Bond. It was Miller who insisted on subverting things by making him working class and doing the whole My Fair Lady thing.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I thought they were both terrible. The Man From Uncle film mind was great.....stylish, slick, well cast, cool and breezy. Exactly how Kingsman should have been.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I thought they were both terrible. The Man From Uncle film mind was great.....stylish, slick, well cast, cool and breezy. Exactly how Kingsman should have been.
    Agreed. I enjoyed UNCLE a lot. Far more than I thought I would. No melodrama. Just style and adventure. The humour was well-executed, too.

It was quite self indulgent and I still think they really shouldn't have bought back Colin Firth, but I still thought it was a lot of fun. It also seemed to have something to say (drug laws) and carried on Eggsy's story from the first one.

But my worry is that Vaughn is slowly phasing out the stuff that grounded the first one in favour of doubling down on the wacky/OTT Roger Moore but violent stuff. Which personally doesn't appeal to me at all. Golden Circle was already in danger of doing that and with all these spinoffs and stuff I think he genuinely thinks that Kingsman is an amazing original concept (it isn't, it's very derivative but this worked on the first one because they were self aware about it) and will lose sight of what gave the first one its heart.

Maybe it's because Miller isn't involved anymore. I read an interview that talked about how Vaughn wanted Eggsy to be an etonian who dreamed of being like Bond. It was Miller who insisted on subverting things by making him working class and doing the whole My Fair Lady thing.
    In my opinion, Kingsman should’ve had its grounded tone maintained. But, like you said, it doubled down on the elements from the first film that made me cringe in the first place. It’s not the dialogue humour that bothers me. Not at all. It’s mainly the ones in action scenes, over the top slow motion fests, and some of the distasteful violence. The second one went full Spy Kids for adults, as if it was a Robert Rodriguez film, moving onto a proposed style of combining Dr Seuss and James Bond into one.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Agreed. I enjoyed UNCLE a lot. Far more than I thought I would. No melodrama. Just style and adventure. The humour was well-executed, too.

In my opinion, Kingsman should’ve had its grounded tone maintained. But, like you said, it doubled down on the elements from the first film that made me cringe in the first place. It’s not the dialogue humour that bothers me. Not at all. It’s mainly the ones in action scenes, over the top slow motion fests, and some of the distasteful violence. The second one went full Spy Kids for adults, as if it was a Robert Rodriguez film, moving onto a proposed style of combining Dr Seuss and James Bond into one.

Must say, your feelings about theses films mirror my own, @ClarkDevlin. Had a blast with U.N.C.L.E. Brilliant soundtrack to go with it as well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

I'm sad to say I forgot to add one other actor confirmed for this film: the legendary Stanley Tucci.

Edit: Can I suggest that the thread title be edited, now that Kingsman: The Great Game is currently filming & comes out later this year?
    Done.
    Thanks @jake24.
    Kingsman: The Great Game delayed from November 15, 2019 to February 14, 2020.
    (Gets suspicious)
    (Gets suspicious)

tumblr-nti3fc-IW8v1reuldho1-500.gif
    So that’s twice they’ve taken Bond 25’s old release?!?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The year of spies once again :)