Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

Of course both THE GAUNTLET and SUDDEN IMPACT pale in comparison to the masterpiece which is ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Of course both THE GAUNTLET and SUDDEN IMPACT pale in comparison to the masterpiece which is ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN.

WTF !!!!
    barryt007 wrote: »

WTF !!!!

LOL! I like both of those films, but THE GAUNTLET is great.
    I think my fave Locke/Clint pairing is the Dirty harry film, though.
  • Singer Nancy Wilson (who also did some acting) died this week at 81.

http://bit.ly/2UPswpQ
  • TCM Remembers video for 2018 is out.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    John Gavin. Ricky Jay. Eunice Gayson. Lewis Gilbert. Burt Reynolds.

Of course 2018 is not finished, they'll surely update this remembrance.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

WTF !!!!

WTF !!!!

Let’s not forget that she was also in a film that was before it’s time, Eastwood’s great The Outlaw Josey Wales. She has a very low key role , but is very good in it.
    Overall, I think this is a better film than the Oscar winning, Unforgiven
    talos7 wrote: »

WTF !!!!

WTF !!!!

Let’s not forget that she was also in a film that was before it’s time, Eastwood’s great The Outlaw Josey Wales. She has a very low key role , but is very good in it.

That's right! I forgot about Josey Wales. Great film.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 2,115
    John Gavin. Ricky Jay. Eunice Gayson. Lewis Gilbert. Burt Reynolds.

Of course 2018 is not finished, they'll surely update this remembrance.

TCM does updates for the broadcast version. In 2016, when Debbie Reynolds died suddenly in late December (after Carrie Fisher's death) the network edited the TCM Remembers video on TV. The network then included Debbbie Reynolds in the 2017 video as well.
  • talos7 wrote: »

WTF !!!!

WTF !!!!

Thank you! This!! I also prefer HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER and PALE RIDER (all similar films) to UNFORGIVEN.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hmm, I don’t know if I would put Pale Rider ahead of Unforgiven.
    UNFORGIVEN is probably the better film, but I tend to enjoy PALE RIDER, HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, OUTLAW JOSEY WALES, and HANG EM HIGH more.

One Eastwood western I'd like to see again is JOE KIDD. Been ages.I remember Don Stroud being in that one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    John Mahoney- for me an unknown name, but a very familiar face.
  • UNFORGIVEN just smells too much like Oscar-bait and to me that tends to be a turn-off. Whereas his earlier Westerns were made primarily for entertainment, even if they did have deeper messages. HIGH PLAINS in particular can be a real head trip if you start analyzing it, yet it didn’t feel like they were shooting for an Oscar with that one. Just a well written, well made, and entertaining Western!
    UNFORGIVEN is probably the better film, but I tend to enjoy PALE RIDER, HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, OUTLAW JOSEY WALES, and HANG EM HIGH more.

One Eastwood western I'd like to see again is JOE KIDD. Been ages.I remember Don Stroud being in that one.

Joe Kidd is very under-rated. Great western with a another fine score from Lalo Schifrin!
    Robert Duvall is in there too. With a script by Elmore Leonard, I always have fun with it!
    Actress and director Penny Marshall has passed away :

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/18/entertainment/penny-marshall-dead/index.html

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I saw, what a shame. I loved Big as a kid, I'd watch that movie all the time. RIP, Penny.
    Damn RIP Penny Marshall. I have the LAVERNE & SHIRLEY theme stuck in my head.

I'll have to find some of those DVD seasons. Been ages since I've seen the show.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,105
    R. I. P. Penny Marshall.

I remember seeing Laverne and Shirley appearing in Happy Days as a kid.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RIP Penny Marshall, very talented actress and director.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Also posted in the Horror thread:

---

Steve Dash, aka Jason from Friday The 13th Pt II has passed away:
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3538857/r-p-jason-voorhees-friday-13th-part-2-steve-dash-passed-away/

Sounds like the last month of his life was quite rough.

RIP
  • re: Penny Marshall...The TCM Remembers video already re-edited to include her. To make room, TCM snipped a clip from Alfie that had followed the still with Lewis Gilbert. The still with Gilbert remains, of course.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Sad news. I know him from a very offbeat episode of Columbo called 'No Time to Die' (1992) where he played the kidnapped bride's father.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Damn, that's terrible to hear, but at least he lived a good, long life. He's done a lot of classics, but he'll always be Garry from John Carpenter's The Thing to me. RIP, Mr. Moffat.
  • "I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS F***ING COUCH!"

RIP Commander Garry
    Just watched Donald Moffat in REGARDING HENRY the other day. RIP.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    President: How dare you come in here and lecture me!

Jack Ryan: How dare YOU, sir!

President: HOW DARE YOU COME INTO THIS OFFICE AND BARK AT ME LIKE SOME LITTLE JUNKYARD DOG! I AM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

1:25
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7tGEEWQIhQ

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Damn, that's terrible to hear, but at least he lived a good, long life. He's done a lot of classics, but he'll always be Garry from John Carpenter's The Thing to me. RIP, Mr. Moffat.

Just rewatched The Thing the other day funnily enough and he's very memorable in it.

Could never fathom out why a member of a research team in the Antarctic would walk around armed with a Magnum!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Just rewatched The Thing the other day funnily enough and he's very memorable in it.

Could never fathom out why a member of a research team in the Antarctic would walk around armed with a Magnum!

Polar bears, man.