DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    http://collider.com/joker-origin-story-movie-martin-scorsese/

Bummed about this, definitely a character who does not need an origin story, and is actually better off not having one. The more mystery surrounding the Joker, the better.

Totally agree I saw the story on FB, the Joker lies alot about his past. If they made a film where his back story appears fabricated and we are never sure about anything we are being told it will work better.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The film is intended to launch a yet-to-be-named new banner at Warner Bros., which will expand the universe of DC films to create new storylines with different actors playing the beloved characters.

Wait, what? Why? To be honest, I'm not opposed to a series of separate films, but not while we're in the middle of building a interconnected DC cinematic universe!

@Seven_Point_Six_Five, even stranger is the goal to recast the roles for all the origin films instead of using the same actors and making them appear younger. What if the younger Joker actor is better than Leto in the role and we resent Leto for it? I could totally see that happening.

Bummed about this, definitely a character who does not need an origin story, and is actually better off not having one. The more mystery surrounding the Joker, the better.

Totally agree I saw the story on FB, the Joker lies alot about his past. If they made a film where his back story appears fabricated and we are never sure about anything we are being told it will work better.

Exactly, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. The only way I could see the film working is if Leto in the future is telling Harley or someone else about his past life and, at the end of the film, we come back to the future and he gives an ambiguous statement that tells us what we saw may or may not be the truth.

Because Suicide Squad screwed up so royally with adapting the interview scenes of Joker and Harley from Mad Love, it would be great to see a proper take on those moments where Joker tells Harley about himself to gain her sympathy and get him out of Arkham, and those discussions kick off the big flashbacks in the movie. Of course because we've already seen scenes like this in the SS film it may come off as a retread, but I can't think of any other way to frame the story that makes sense than by having Leto's Joker of the future remarking on his past through a long flashback, essentially like how Wonder Woman was set up. We start the movie with Joker presenting the story of his past from the future, the whole film is flashback and then at the end we return to the future again to finish the film with some final words from him. Something like, "And that's the story of how the Joker was born, or at least I think that's how it went. But hey, if you have to have a past, why not make it multiple choice?"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The film is intended to launch a yet-to-be-named new banner at Warner Bros., which will expand the universe of DC films to create new storylines with different actors playing the beloved characters.

Wait, what? Why? To be honest, I'm not opposed to a series of separate films, but not while we're in the middle of building a interconnected DC cinematic universe!

@Seven_Point_Six_Five, even stranger is the goal to recast the roles for all the origin films instead of using the same actors and making them appear younger. What if the younger Joker actor is better than Leto in the role and we resent Leto for it? I could totally see that happening.

Exactly, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns. The only way I could see the film working is if Leto in the future is telling Harley or someone else about his past life and, at the end of the film, we come back to the future and he gives an ambiguous statement that tells us what we saw may or may not be the truth.

Because Suicide Squad screwed up so royally with adapting the interview scenes of Joker and Harley from Mad Love, it would be great to see a proper take on those moments where Joker tells Harley about himself to gain her sympathy and get him out of Arkham, and those discussions kick off the big flashbacks in the movie. Of course because we've already seen scenes like this in the SS film it may come off as a retread, but I can't think of any other way to frame the story that makes sense than by having Leto's Joker of the future remarking on his past through a long flashback, essentially like how Wonder Woman was set up. We start the movie with Joker presenting the story of his past from the future, the whole film is flashback and then at the end we return to the future again to finish the film with some final words from him. Something like, "And that's the story of how the Joker was born, or at least I think that's how it went. But hey, if you have to have a past, why not make it multiple choice?"

Agree or even have a Clue movie type end with three different final acts or something which are all a lie. Whatever happens the story has to be insanely written.

The idea of the origin story smacks of DC exploiting a well known character again, they are taking ideas from Star Wars and films like Han Solo.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,020
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
    WW's 800 million BO makes BvS look even more like the huge flop it really is.

DALTON RULEZ™

Neither of them were a flop, but WW is definitely the more successful of the two, both in reviews and gross compared to the budget.

EDIT: Seems WW will return to IMAX theaters for a limited run:

http://www.slashfilm.com/one-more-chance-to-see-wonder-woman-in-imax/

Also, it's rumored that Eisenberg has been cut from 'Justice League' in the wake of reshoots:

http://www.slashfilm.com/lex-luthor-cut-from-justice-league/
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Had no idea Eisenberg was going to be in it but that's good he's been cut. His Lex Luthor is terrible.
    Just like a few days ago when Michael K. Williams was cut from 'Han Solo' due to the reshoots.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Just like a few days ago when Michael K. Williams was cut from 'Han Solo' due to the reshoots.

;)
    63a5d14013dca4c0302df65a463aeb6c191594c74ba16a45b9cc8ecb89a1c65e.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2017 Posts: 11,139
    So the new solo batman films wint be part of the DCEU.
    It's seems DC are doing One Shot films as well as continuing the DCU
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    So the new solo batman films wint be part of the DCEU.

Not how I read that, but Snyder has put those movies in a rough spot regardless.

As for the Eisenberg news and possible cut, it'll be fascinating to read how Snyder's vision changed through Joss. Christ.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    DC has confirmed a 2nd Joker solo film, this time focusing on his relationship with Harley Quinn, and it will be part of the DCEU (unlike the Scorsese-produced Joker origins film announced very recently), so Jared Leto and Margot Robbie are starring in this one.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-joker-and-harley-quinn-getting-their-own-movie-from-crazy-stupid-love-filmmakers/
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I remember the days DC stopped the Arrowverse from using certain characters because it would cause confusion. Now here they are making two unrelated Joker movies. Apparently confusion only happens between film and TV, I guess.
    Whew, that one is going to be even worse than this Joker origin movie, I'm thinking.
    A few years in and it still seems like they're just playing this by ear and kind of going with whatever they're feeling in the moment.
    A few years in and it still seems like they're just playing this by ear and kind of going with whatever they're feeling in the moment.

Yes. If we tallied how many movies they had in production or were thinking about making, we'd probably be able to match Marvel's number of films by phase 3!

Yes. If we tallied how many movies they had in production or were thinking about making, we'd probably be able to match Marvel's number of films by phase 3!

It's a shame, too, how well-loved WW seemed to be. Maybe if they had stuck with that formula and also delivered another standalone Superman installment and a standalone Batman movie before getting into BvS/SS/JL/etc., they would've been much better off.

It's a shame, too, how well-loved WW seemed to be. Maybe if they had stuck with that formula and also delivered another standalone Superman installment and a standalone Batman movie before getting into BvS/SS/JL/etc., they would've been much better off.

WB hitched their wagon to a wild horse is all. Snyder just didn't have it, and all the hope or promise he showed in some of MoS's greatest sections seems to have faded. None of his strengths and none of the great work he did in his first film carried over into BvS, and after seeing the trailers I worry for the style and execution of Green Screen League. Er, I mean Justice League.

I wish WB kept to the original plan and did more Superman films to lead into more of a universe, instead of jumping into it during their second movie. That's like having The Avengers after Iron Man.
    Keeps getting better, too. 'Justice League Dark' is undergoing rewrites due to an underwhelming response from WB:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/24/justice-league-dark-movie-reportedly-heading-back-for-rewrites
    WB just need to do strictly Constantine films; he's such a stellar character (if they follow Alan Moore's work). I'd rather see some Hellblazer films than most of the actual superhero films in the pipeline at the moment.
    DC drop projects like hot potatoes so would be surprised if all these Joker films go ahead
    So Scorsese will produce a Joker film directed by the director of the Hangover films? What kind of tone should we suspect from that combination?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    So Scorsese will produce a Joker film directed by the director of the Hangover films? What kind of tone should we suspect from that combination?

I can only assume an incredibly mismatched tone that is all over the place. Who knows. They may as well announce another ten different Joker spin-offs, I'll have equal (zero) interest in all of them.
    I like Constantine the TV Show. Keanu's film is amongst the best films of the 00s

@BondJasonBond006, my friend showed me a few episodes and I thought it was okay, but they had to neuter the character (including his smoking habits) for TV. If he got films they could push for the PG-13 or R side of the character and not hold back.
    boldfinger wrote: »

I can only assume an incredibly mismatched tone that is all over the place. Who knows. They may as well announce another ten different Joker spin-offs, I'll have equal (zero) interest in all of them.

@Creasy47, I assume that WB had an idea to make a crime film like Scorsese's old ones, and pitched it to him as a producing option. Somehow he took the bait. I predict blackmail of some form.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
    'Suicide Squad 2' unlikely to begin production until Fall 2018, due to Will Smith being lined up for a couple other films:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suicide_squad/suicide-squad-2-unlikely-to-start-shooting-until-fall-2018-heres-why-a153547

'Justice League Dark' script is being polished yet again:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/30/justice-league-dark-movie-gets-new-writer?abthid=59a6cb45ba59637230000007
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,490
    Gavin O'Connor to write/direct Suicide Squad sequel:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/suicide-squad-2-gavin-oconnor-writer-director-1202549203/

Drew Goddard to write/direct 'Deadpool' spinoff, 'X-Force':

http://collider.com/x-force-director-drew-goddard/
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    The digital release of Wonder Woman included an epilogue titled “Etta’s Mission.” This scene has a nice little tie-in to JL.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Haha, that was great.