DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I had the misfortune of seeing the Justice League trailer in an IMAX theatre while awaiting Dunkirk. Horrid. What a complete CGI junkfest. I have zero interest in this film and hope it flops so they can reboot the entire universe. A joke. I felt like I was viewing a poorly conceived video game, particularly when seeing it on a large screen.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'll admit the CGI looks a bit overdone but I'm still looking forward to it. It won't flop though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll admit the CGI looks a bit overdone but I'm still looking forward to it. It won't flop though.

This is true, and it's the most unfortunate part about it. Most audiences collectively accept that DC has put out some major turds (sans WW) and this seems to be more of a case of the former. Yet people will still slap down money for a ticket opening weekend instead of voting with their wallets.
    No probably not. At least not with Gadot in it. Best thing in the trailers.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is true, and it's the most unfortunate part about it. Most audiences collectively accept that DC has put out some major turds (sans WW) and this seems to be more of a case of the former. Yet people will still slap down money for a ticket opening weekend instead of voting with their wallets.

It's more about the psychological hope of, "Maybe this one will be good," especially after Wonder Woman. But most people who see these films don't care like I do, so of course they'll shell out money. They're not going to it to see their childhood heroes brought to life that they've attached memories to, they're just kicking back for the weekend to see some spectacle. Nothing wrong with that, but as with the Bond series we need to realize that we represent the smallest percentage of the market.
    I just figure after so many installments with scathing reviews and a near $1 billion box office, people would find the patience to wait and catch it for much cheaper, or even free.

When I pay for a movie, I'm essentially telling that studio I want more of this. JL looks like more of what BvS and 'Suicide Squad' delivered. Same with 'Transformers': people seem to hate them, but they're beyond successful because everyone keeps paying for them.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    @Murdock's favorite bit of score in any film ever.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,111
    Really? I thought he hated the Nolan films. It's my favourite of any Batman score. Evocative of the whole trilogy.
    Love the TDKR OST. It's my favourite of the bunch. Relentless.

I miss Nolan's Bat universe.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Murdock's favorite bit of score in any film ever.

@Creasy47 , More like this. ;)
    Really? I thought he hated the Nolan films. It's my favourite of any Batman score. Evocative of the whole trilogy.

I've said multiple times that I don't hate Nolan's films. I just think they are flawed and overrated for my tastes.

It was a joke due to his dislike of Zimmer.

Obviously his favorite score is actually the main theme from 'Inception'.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,395
    http://collider.com/justice-league-batman-plane-flying-fox-image/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial#ben-affleck
    “He brings them to the Batcave and lets them in on the central conflict of the story, who the enemy is,” Affleck says. “There’s a little bit of a Magnificent Seven aspect to it.” Very interesting...

This looks awesome... justice-league-concept-art-flying-fox.jpg

I know this is concept art though not sure it's wise to have Wayne Technology glaringly printed on the Flying Fox :))
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 5,815
    Meanwhile :

https://newsarama.com/35897-wonder-woman-home-video-release-dates-details.html

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDUvNTU4L29yaWdpbmFsL1dXLmpwZz8xNTAyMzkzNDQx

So, the DVD (and BR) will be out on september 19th. Good news.
    I heard about the 'book' package, but has anyone heard news about a steelbook?
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I had the misfortune of seeing the Justice League trailer in an IMAX theatre while awaiting Dunkirk. Horrid. What a complete CGI junkfest. I have zero interest in this film and hope it flops so they can reboot the entire universe. A joke. I felt like I was viewing a poorly conceived video game, particularly when seeing it on a large screen.

Same actually. Well luckily it didn't play before my screening of Dunkirk but I saw it before War Of The Planet Of The Apes. All I could think was how have we gone from The Dark Knight to this. Batman fighting aliens (?) in a CGI quip fest (because that worked for Avengers but Avengers was at least engaging, this just looks like crap). Every single shot looked fake.

I am looking forward to the next Batman film though. The new Apes films are one of the best trilogies ever, I'll watch anything that director does after those. And I do like the concept of the character (enjoyed some of the Arkham games for example). I just think that the new films look genuinely terrible. Following Nolan was always going to be a tough task but was this really the best they could do?
    bondjames wrote: »

Same actually. Well luckily it didn't play before my screening of Dunkirk but I saw it before War Of The Planet Of The Apes. All I could think was how have we gone from The Dark Knight to this. Batman fighting aliens (?) in a CGI quip fest (because that worked for Avengers but Avengers was at least engaging, this just looks like crap). Every single shot looked fake.

I am looking forward to the next Batman film though. The new Apes films are one of the best trilogies ever, I'll watch anything that director does after those. And I do like the concept of the character (enjoyed some of the Arkham games for example). I just think that the new films look genuinely terrible. Following Nolan was always going to be a tough task but was this really the best they could do?
    I get a completely different stylistical vibe from the JL trailer than I got from any Avengers film, and I don´t mind the CGI so much, but I admit I´m not sure if the combination of CG-heavy scenes and more natural-looking scenes like the shot of the team descending from the carrier will gel.

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Wonder Woman passed $400 million domestic this week.

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-box-office-400-million-domestic/
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wonder Woman killing it

giphy.gif
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wonder Woman crosses $800Million
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »

I wish it did a little more, as I think it deserved it, but that is a gob-smacking number to reach for a film that is the first in a series and the first to feature that kind of hero in the market. On top of that it's a game-changing film for gender-based moviemaking, and will hopefully lead to more films like it that lift women to that level in a powerful way.

I just hope DC don't screw up this November and stop Gal from being in more films with the quality of her first.

I wish it did a little more, as I think it deserved it, but that is a gob-smacking number to reach for a film that is the first in a series and the first to feature that kind of hero in the market. On top of that it's a game-changing film for gender-based moviemaking, and will hopefully lead to more films like it that lift women to that level in a powerful way.

I just hope DC don't screw up this November and stop Gal from being in more films with the quality of her first.

I think I read it toppled the very first 'Spider-Man' in terms of highest grossing origin film? I'm not sure, but if so, very impressive!

I think I read it toppled the very first 'Spider-Man' in terms of highest grossing origin film? I'm not sure, but if so, very impressive!

That would be crazy if so. Wonder Woman was one of the few films that met my expectations and exceeded them that I've seen today, and I needed it to be good. It's fantastic to see, and that little girls and boys everywhere have a hero to look up to like I had with Spider-Man as a kid.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

It's not even close when adjusted for ticket price inflation in the intervening period. The original Spider Man grossed approximately $617m domestic compared to WW's $404m to date. Its adjusted worldwide gross would be closer to $1.6m at today's prices.

One thing's for sure. B25 will have hefty competition at the North American box office in 2019.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
    http://collider.com/joker-origin-story-movie-martin-scorsese/

Bummed about this, definitely a character who does not need an origin story, and is actually better off not having one. The more mystery surrounding the Joker, the better.
    http://collider.com/joker-origin-story-movie-martin-scorsese/

Bummed about this, definitely a character who does not need an origin story, and is actually better off not having one. The more mystery surrounding the Joker, the better.

Well, I never thought I'd see Scorses's name attached to anything remotely close to a superhero universe, but here we are.

I agree, really. Not only do I not care about this Joker anyway, he's a character that shouldn't be explained. Even in the one comic that delves into his past, Joker openly admits that he could've been lying, or thinks he was telling the truth but really wasn't because his madness has made him lose any idea of who he was before he fell into the vat at Ace Chemicals. Hence the famous line of his about his past being "multiple choice."

I just don't know what DC are doing anymore. It seems like every film that comes out results in a gigantic shift in their movie schedule and what they want to do. First they wanted to do team films, then some team films got canceled or shifted, then they announced sequels to some films, but not all, and now they're doing villain stuff in some weird series of origin stories. It just seems rather aimless to be frank.

They really should wait to see the response to Justice League before jumping on so many plans, because that movie will have a big impact on where they go forward and what they focus on. I only hope that just a third of the problems I hear with that film are true, and not all the rest, if we're lucky.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,257
    The film is intended to launch a yet-to-be-named new banner at Warner Bros., which will expand the universe of DC films to create new storylines with different actors playing the beloved characters.

Wait, what? Why? To be honest, I'm not opposed to a series of separate films, but not while we're in the middle of building a interconnected DC cinematic universe!