DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

18921106_934671626691924_5233994167386187550_o.jpg?oh=929aca1b888551ec3eef5fd8803e5aa3&oe=59DC24F1

Genuinely happy for Gal Gadot, tonight's figures won't be included I suspect.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That's good news. I hope it's a major global success. The film deserves it. I'm actually inclined to go and see it again for Gadot only. She is a very likeable heroine.
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's good news. I hope it's a major global success. The film deserves it. I'm actually inclined to go and see it again for Gadot only. She is a very likeable heroine.

Not watched it yet hopefully will on Wednesday, Gal is stunning though even more so because of what she projects. Amazing woman
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gal embodies the role with a similar degree of charm that Reeves had for Superman.
    Humility is a quality audiences respond too for sure.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Was smart of them to have lowball domestic estimates around $60-65 million, seemed the positive reviews/word of mouth shattered those expectations.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Alright, just got back from Wonder Woman a few hours ago, and am getting my thoughts in order.

I don't have time to write a lot now, but just quick impressions. Fundamentally, this movie had what it needed to have, and what the DC films have lacked to this point: actual hope. The film depicts the horrors of the "war to end all wars," but it also had such an amazing, reverberating heart and vibrancy to it that made you leave it thinking that things would be okay and maybe being a good person does work out, which you don't get in the other films. I was also honestly shocked how many times I was laughing my ass off with the rest of the theater watching this, in a series of audible and frequent gushes of what we were seeing. The dialogue was clever and so well delivered, perfectly timed by the cast with not one weak link in sight.

When Gal was announced for the role of Wonder Woman initially, I was one of the people that honestly didn't really see it. I tried to imagine it, but the image of Jaimie Alexander in the warrior garb just felt like a massive missed opportunity had come and gone, and Marvel had gotten to her first. Then I actually saw Gadot in action in BvS, becoming the redeeming part of it, and thought she could carry a film, hoping I was right about the potential I saw in her. I come from the film tonight so happy to be proven wrong on this casting. Of all that I enjoyed in the film, which was a lot, Diana was what would make the whole thing sink or swim; if Gal failed, the movie failed. I was ecstatic to see that, in every way, she embodied exactly who Wonder Woman is, and why she's such an important figure to everyone, not just women. I was honestly smiling like an idiot the entire film watching this woman act, in awe of her innocence, grace, compassion, strength of character, and insuperable heart, elements that come together to create a stirringly accurate live-action Diana. The character is one of ultimate contradiction, both a warrior and peace-keeper in tandem, and Gal's performance grounds her inner battle between both worlds she occupies. She can fight when it's necessary, but you quickly understand that she prefers to settle things with civility and compassion. A string of powerful moments build her up as this woman and, in short, I quickly found myself falling in love with her.

There were moments where I was on the brink of tears rolling down my eyes, because I was seeing a character who deserved to have many films to her name by this point make her big debut on the big screen in a solo film, doing it with such grace and-yes-wonder. I am happy, though it's overdue, that Wonder Woman was the character to lead the charge for female-led superhero films, as the character is more historically relevant than any other of her gender in the history of the medium she was birthed from. She had to be the first out there, to lead that charge as only she could. There's only a particular amount of images that can make you feel something inside that stirs your heart, and watching a woman charge out of a bunker to defend the unmotivated men of war behind her is one of them. Gal was the absolute light of this movie, incandescent as all hell. When she smiled, it was contagious and you couldn't help but love her, sure that you would be willing to do anything she wanted, without the use of even her mighty lasso.

I enjoyed other things about the film, including its very brave, adult and smart use of storytelling to show us war as it really is, and how it contrasted the evils of man in its many forms with all the good we can do as a species, and the love we can give that redeems the blackness in our collective hearts. The film beautifully juxtaposes Diana's island of paradise with its order and tranquility with the tumultuous "man's world" she throws herself into. We see a woman so pure of love and so open-hearted that she can't understand why humans hate, kill and degrade one another, and why there doesn't exist in our society the equality her own people had strived to uphold. Gal plays these moments exceptionally, and the look she gives as she is confronted with these dark images is in many ways one of an unprejudiced child who hasn't been taught hatred yet, and is curious and downright shocked why people rip each other apart instead of coming together. You can sense her heart bleeding as she reaches out to the hurting masses, wanting only to make things better. From all this, her beautiful legend is born.

I would urge everyone to see this film, as I find it to be a cultural touchstone. We're living in history here for pop culture, and a new change begins with this film for other movies like it. The story, though flawed in places, had such meaning and heart pumped into it by filmmakers and performers that were engaged all the way to make it what it could be. The cast led by the scene stealing pair of a statuesque Gal and the amazingly hilarious and endearing Chris Pine truly marvel, bringing loved characters to life while playing the comedic moments with perfectly timed wit and the moments of emotion with jarring resonance. The film doesn't bullshit you, and doesn't hold back. Horrors of war are witnessed, and faith in good wavers. The ultimate message I take away from the film, however, of love conquering all in the end and the use of compassion and a search for peace as our ultimate tools, will be making me smile through many bad days ahead.

Let's celebrate, our warrior princess is here!

tenor.gif
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Alright, just got back from Wonder Woman a few hours ago, and am getting my thoughts in order.

I don't have time to write a lot now, but just quick impressions. Fundamentally, this movie had what it needed to have, and what the DC films have lacked to this point: actual hope. The film depicts the horrors of the "war to end all wars," but it also had such an amazing, reverberating heart and vibrancy to it that made you leave it thinking that things would be okay and maybe being a good person does work out, which you don't get in the other films. I was also honestly shocked how many times I was laughing my ass off with the rest of the theater watching this, in a series of audible and frequent gushes of what we were seeing. The dialogue was clever and so well delivered, perfectly timed by the cast with not one weak link in sight.

When Gal was announced for the role of Wonder Woman initially, I was one of the people that honestly didn't really see it. I tried to imagine it, but the image of Jaimie Alexander in the warrior garb just felt like a massive missed opportunity had come and gone, and Marvel had gotten to her first. Then I actually saw Gadot in action in BvS, becoming the redeeming part of it, and thought she could carry a film, hoping I was right about the potential I saw in her. I come from the film tonight so happy to be proven wrong on this casting. Of all that I enjoyed in the film, which was a lot, Diana was what would make the whole thing sink or swim; if Gal failed, the movie failed. I was ecstatic to see that, in every way, she embodied exactly who Wonder Woman is, and why she's such an important figure to everyone, not just women. I was honestly smiling like an idiot the entire film watching this woman act, in awe of her innocence, grace, compassion, strength of character, and insuperable heart, elements that come together to create a stirringly accurate live-action Diana. The character is one of ultimate contradiction, both a warrior and peace-keeper in tandem, and Gal's performance grounds her inner battle between both worlds she occupies. She can fight when it's necessary, but you quickly understand that she prefers to settle things with civility and compassion. A string of powerful moments build her up as this woman and, in short, I quickly found myself falling in love with her.

There were moments where I was on the brink of tears rolling down my eyes, because I was seeing a character who deserved to have many films to her name by this point make her big debut on the big screen in a solo film, doing it with such grace and-yes-wonder. I am happy, though it's overdue, that Wonder Woman was the character to lead the charge for female-led superhero films, as the character is more historically relevant than any other of her gender in the history of the medium she was birthed from. She had to be the first out there, to lead that charge as only she could. There's only a particular amount of images that can make you feel something inside that stirs your heart, and watching a woman charge out of a bunker to defend the unmotivated men of war behind her is one of them. Gal was the absolute light of this movie, incandescent as all hell. When she smiled, it was contagious and you couldn't help but love her, sure that you would be willing to do anything she wanted, without the use of even her mighty lasso.

I enjoyed other things about the film, including its very brave, adult and smart use of storytelling to show us war as it really is, and how it contrasted the evils of man in its many forms with all the good we can do as a species, and the love we can give that redeems the blackness in our collective hearts. The film beautifully juxtaposes Diana's island of paradise with its order and tranquility with the tumultuous "man's world" she throws herself into. We see a woman so pure of love and so open-hearted that she can't understand why humans hate, kill and degrade one another, and why there doesn't exist in our society the equality her own people had strived to uphold. Gal plays these moments exceptionally, and the look she gives as she is confronted with these dark images is in many ways one of an unprejudiced child who hasn't been taught hatred yet, and is curious and downright shocked why people rip each other apart instead of coming together. You can sense her heart bleeding as she reaches out to the hurting masses, wanting only to make things better. From all this, her beautiful legend is born.

I would urge everyone to see this film, as I find it to be a cultural touchstone. We're living in history here for pop culture, and a new change begins with this film for other movies like it. The story, though flawed in places, had such meaning and heart pumped into it by filmmakers and performers that were engaged all the way to make it what it could be. The cast led by the scene stealing pair of a statuesque Gal and the amazingly hilarious and endearing Chris Pine truly marvel, bringing loved characters to life while playing the comedic moments with perfectly timed wit and the moments of emotion with jarring resonance. The film doesn't bullshit you, and doesn't hold back. Horrors of war are witnessed, and faith in good wavers. The ultimate message I take away from the film, however, of love conquering all in the end and the use of compassion and a search for peace as our ultimate tools, will be making me smile through many bad days ahead.

Let's celebrate, our warrior princess is here!

tenor.gif

So glad you like it after all you have been through with the last couple of films, @0Brady ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, it's a very first world problem to have, but the sigh of relief I gave coming out of the movie was such a delight. I enjoyed MoS more than most, but the movie doesn't exactly give much hope to counteract the horrors it depicts, particularly the destruction of Metropolis. WW has some truly dark moments too, but there's always an underlying sense of faith in good and the hope in the light over the dark that makes you feel like it's all going to be okay. A lot of this is down to Gal, who literally shined for me the entire time, especially when she smiled. If someone like that flew into my village, I would believe that she could help us, as she gives off that feeling of warmth and compassion that are the most important elements to capturing her character. She's fundamentally a maternal presence, and I got more of that than anything in this movie.

It makes my heart feel good that little boys and girls will have this movie to introduce them to the character, to see how a true hero acts. Patty Jenkins and the entire team should be proud of what they've done, as they were able to tell us everything we need to know about why this character matters as a symbol in just a couple hours, much like how the Marvel films did the same with Captain America, a figure that is very similar to our dear lady.
    'Suicide Squad 2' hopes to shoot next year:

http://collider.com/suicide-squad-2-start-date-joel-kinnaman/
    Apparently Wonder Woman 2 will be set in the US, possibly in the 1940s (WW2) or the 1970's.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a9976876/wonder-woman-2-movie-sequel/
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Who even wants this? Reminds me of DC keeping Snyder on after the reception to Man of Steel. Why not do a course correction instead of bullheadedly going full steam ahead with the original plan? They are making the daftest decisions.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Milovy wrote: »

Who even wants this? Reminds me of DC keeping Snyder on after the reception to Man of Steel. Why not do a course correction instead of bullheadedly going full steam ahead with the original plan? They are making the daftest decisions.
    tumblr_inline_o75db9YF4v1r7gm7l_500.gif

Well, there´s still the possibility to make a good film out of it, innit?

boldfinger wrote: »

Well, there´s still the possibility to make a good film out of it, innit?

To shine a positive light on things: there's absolutely no way it'll be worse than the first.
    I would prefer to continue with a begun idea and improve, rather than have the same people and ideas applied to a new title with the old result. I found the first Captain America film very dull, whereas the second one is the best Marvel film so far in my book.
    WB just need to give Ayer more than six weeks to write a damn script. And this time, avoid editing the hell out of his vision and forcing him into a rough spot where he has to pretend publicly that the movie we got was exactly what he wanted to cut together.
    WB just need to give Ayer more than six weeks to write a damn script. And this time, avoid editing the hell out of his vision and forcing him into a rough spot where he has to pretend publicly that the movie we got was exactly what he wanted to cut together.
    Yes, something like this.

Honestly...I am disappointed in Wonder Woman :(

I am kinda tired to write a long review but in short. It had too many obvious green screen scenes. So the CGI sucked. There was basically no villain or reason why should we care for the story 'So..this thing may exist...or not...but it definitely does exist since this is a superhero movie" idk, there was no mystery or reason to care. Wonder Woman is unbeatable.
    Also the "fish out of the water" schtick got old really old. It was like watching a girl trying to find out things..

Basically this was a movie about travelling from point A to point B without any chance of anyone dying before reaching point B.
    This was basically:

-Diana don't do that thing! It's stupid and there's not a person with a brain that would attempt doing that!!!
    * Diana goes and does the illogical thing without any bruises*

I was into the movie for like half an hour but after that it lost me.

This movie made me really doubtful about Justice League since I saw a lot of that weak CGI in the trailer as well...

My DCEU ranking:

1. MoS
    2. SS
    3. BvS
    4. WW
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I will say that the CGI in Wonder Woman wasn't great but it wasn't bad or frequent enough to take me out of the movie. I don't think it's as great as everyone is making it out to be but it's still a good film. My DCEU ranking is actually the exact opposite of yours.

1. Wonder Woman
    2. Suicide Squad
    3. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
    4. Man of Steel
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet but this much is already clear.

1. Wonder Woman

2. MOS BvS SS
    DC to ditch the "dark and gritty" vibe, will focus on making the movies "fun":

http://www.slashfilm.com/dc-films-to-ditch-the-dark-and-gritty-vibe-and-make-the-movies-fun/#more-422818
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    About damn time.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    This will piss off the people who think DC's been doing it right the whole time.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, cinema is moving in that direction. Bond will go that way too, trust me. Smart move.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Nolan veil of darkness is finally being lifted. Good riddance.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Nolan knew what he was doing though, unlike others who've tried to follow his approach.
    Murdock wrote: »

I like Nolan, but you're right. He wasn't technically responsible though, he just thrived in this period. I'm glad there is a changing in the tides nonetheless.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This will piss off the people who think DC's been doing it right the whole time.

Yes, that two people will be devastated.

Yes, that two people will be devastated.

LOL! :D