DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    The Nolan veil of darkness is finally being lifted. Good riddance.

I like Nolan, but you're right. He wasn't technically responsible though, he just thrived in this period. I'm glad there is a changing in the tides nonetheless.

He started the trend with it really. Action movies having dark and brooding tones with forgettable minimalistic soundtracks. I can't wait for it to be over for good.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    This will piss off the people who think DC's been doing it right the whole time.

Yes, that two people will be devastated.

I wish it were only two. There's at least two here that I've seen.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    They just need to watch their tones and be skilled at keeping a sense of cohesiveness so that the films don't feel like they're failing at being two different things. They also need to give Batman only dry lines to perform, and no expected humor. I liked what I saw in the recent JL trailer, because all the moments that could be perceived as Batman being funny were the driest and most sardonic deliveries of the team. That's exactly what needs to happen.

I just think people took this dark complaint too far, much like the drama queens who do the same for the Craig era. My problem from day one was their lack of character, where the heroes didn't act anything like you'd expect. New interpretations are welcome, but please know what you're doing when you choose to embark on a new take. Having a Batman who was a killer and who faced the consequences of his actions to see how he'd changed into what he once fought against would've been tragic and beautiful, but that kind of depth and smart storytelling never really surfaces in the movie because his lame-brained conflict with Superman takes center stage.

There should be more room for the heroes to actually do heroic things, but you can go as dark as you want if you choose to. I just want to see Superman truly live up to his name and quit moping about how nobody likes him. Wonder Woman showed how you could display the horrors of the world war and still have a radiant sense of hope and faith in good being present. I guess we should just have Patty Jenkins direct every DC film from here on in, as she is the only one that gets it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Junkie XL departs 'Justice League,' will now be scored by Danny Elfman:

http://collider.com/justice-league-composer-danny-elfman/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's what I call an upgrade. We'll actually get melodies and more themes now!
    That's my kind of upgrade.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 2,080
    Maybe we'll get the old Tim Burton Batman theme on the soundtrack too??? One could only hope
    Oh that would be great!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California

Hell yes! My expectations for this score are very high now.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Even as someone who is somewhat superheroed out, I saw Wonder Woman this weekend; I really enjoyed it and liked having the focus on an origin story rather than an ever growing team of characters. One nit-pick In many shots, particularly long shots, the "lasso of truth" looked very cartoonish.
    I don't mind more fun as long as we don't cross over to this

I am ok

Once Alkiva Goodman gets back to writing these though then I am out
    I think Elfman will do better with a score like this, but Junkie XL's work on 'Mad Max: Fury Road' is one of my favorites in the last five years, I'd say.
    I think Elfman will do better with a score like this, but Junkie XL's work on 'Mad Max: Fury Road' is one of my favorites in the last five years, I'd say.

I'd agree, but that was the tone of Mad Max. Super rock and roll, smashing guitar and loud noise. I just think that a more old-fashioned compositional style is what JL needs, as the team should have a glorious main theme to play them into battle that resembles the one from the TV show. This tone is what Elfman exceeds at, and two of my favorite main themes of all time come from his work with Batman and Spider-Man in the past. Beyond John Williams, very few can match the work Elfman has done with superhero scoring.

The tone didn't fit Junkie, and so I'm happy that WB saw fit to change his role.

I'd agree, but that was the tone of Mad Max. Super rock and roll, smashing guitar and loud noise. I just think that a more old-fashioned compositional style is what JL needs, as the team should have a glorious main theme to play them into battle that resembles the one from the TV show. This tone is what Elfman exceeds at, and two of my favorite main themes of all time come from his work with Batman and Spider-Man in the past. Beyond John Williams, very few can match the work Elfman has done with superhero scoring.

The tone didn't fit Junkie, and so I'm happy that WB saw fit to change his role.

That's exactly what I'm saying: Junkie's not a bad composer, but in terms of a superhero film, I have more confidence in Elfman. Just wanted to highlight the former's work on 'Fury Road,' I find it criminally underrated.

That's exactly what I'm saying: Junkie's not a bad composer, but in terms of a superhero film, I have more confidence in Elfman. Just wanted to highlight the former's work on 'Fury Road,' I find it criminally underrated.

Everything about that film is off the charts. But yes, we agree.

One of the very few films that manages to endure development hell/filming issues, and still turn out to be a masterpiece.

One of the very few films that manages to endure development hell/filming issues, and still turn out to be a masterpiece.

ZL6xk.gif
    bondjames wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    The Nolan veil of darkness is finally being lifted. Good riddance.
    Nolan knew what he was doing though, unlike others who've tried to follow his approach.
    Nolan may have known what he was doing when he did BB and TDK.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Elfman better keep Zimmer and Junkie's existing themes though. I do hope WB stress that to him and we don't end up in a Marvel situation, sonically.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What existing themes?
    What existing themes?

Burn! =))
  • I agree, the scores for the DCEU have been pretty unmemorable for the most part.
    Elfman better keep Zimmer and Junkie's existing themes though. I do hope WB stress that to him and we don't end up in a Marvel situation, sonically.

The only ones I care to hear are Superman's and Wonder Woman's, and to me that's all there really is. I just want a nice, big orchestra JL theme for the big team.
    I agree, the scores for the DCEU have been pretty unmemorable for the most part.

Sorry, I beg to differ there. Ten times better than anything served up by its rival.

The Man of Steel score is superb. As is Wonder Woman's.

Considering how popular the Wonder Woman theme is, I would find it hard to agree that its unmemorable.

The only ones I care to hear are Superman's and Wonder Woman's, and to me that's all there really is. I just want a nice, big orchestra JL theme for the big team.

Agreed that their should be an overall team music identity for the film.
    gal-gadot-a-435-2.jpg?w=435&h=580
    This gave me a chuckle. Gal Gadot with her husband:

2b3a7d2e18440572c8ca36ec9c5eb7c9.jpg

There's hope for us all.

There's hope for us all.

He's her Steve Trevor: the mortal man who got himself a goddess.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,690
    24.jpg