DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455?facebook_20170522

Regardless of the work he has done and what you think of him and his films, this is very sad.

This is heartbreaking news. If anyone says they're sorry but happy he stepped down, just know that makes you a terrible person. A man's child just died and all you can think about is a movie. I only bring that up because I've seen people on other sites showing how happy they are for the DCEU now that Synder isn't part of it anymore. Sick pricks.

You should see the YouTube comment sections on videos of this topic, bunch of little shits. I feel bad for the man, I admire him for trying his best to make it through an incredibly tough scenario, and if he felt as if it was affecting his work then he knew what had to be done, and I respect Snyder a helluva lot for that. However I don't think he's completely done with the DCEU. Hearts out to the Snyders.

That's the internet for you. It's just moments like this that put a lot of our bullshit first world problems into perspective. All the months spent talking about a simple film and our issues with them, when a man has lost a real person in his life today. I have my issues with Snyder, but in junctures like these films are meaningless, and he's right to say that it's just a film and his family is what matters now. As someone who has dealt and continues to deal with depression, I completely sympathize with his family at the moment as they face what they must. It's utter bullshit, frankly, and it's a shame anyone has to deal with it.

The press and post production for the JL film will be enough, as will be the pressures to do better than BvS at the box office and with critics, but Snyder and co. will also have this tragedy in their minds come November too. I predict a very sweet dedication to his little girl at the end of the film, and hopefully the final product will be worthy of the tribute to her. It's depressing to see the sick reactions of people out there who make light of things like this, and who forget that real people with real lives are behind these projects and tragedies. Another embarrassing day for humanity...

Exactly, this is another one of the situations where they really, really are going to need to knock it out of the park with this film, I bed it'd be such a sweet payoff not only professionally, but I'm sure personally for Snyder. It was nice of WB to at least offer pushing back the release date, but equally nice of Snyder to step aside, I don't think he would've been able to keep handling it with all the stress and sadness that comes with losing a loved one. I've always maintained the notion that while he may not be an example of quality filmmaking, he must be a pretty nice guy who's just unfortunately gets all this negative stuff said about him, but for him to step aside on something which I'm certain was a passion project for him, so he can be with his family, and still ensure the film gets the proper release, just makes me respect how professional he is despite the obstacles that face him.

Snyder gets a lot of hate, and I have definitely been critical of him in the past. I also stand by some of his strengths, however, as I think MoS showed a lot of promise. As the man behind the current slate of films he's the one people will gravitate towards with their criticism, and that comes with the job. Things shouldn't get nasty though, and as much as I can go at him for his direction, I try not to make it personal. I'm sure he'd be a fine guy to get a drink with, and you lose sight of the real people behind projects like this sometimes. I'll never agree with his creative moves and visions for these films, but as a man, I hold no grudges. They're just films, and they're just characters.

I just hope he's able to block out the internet bullshit in the coming months, and all the stories they'll make up or twist on him, or use the girl's death to praise his temporary leave from the DCEU. The fact that he wanted to keep this hidden and worked for two months with the kind of pain in his heart that only the death of a loved one can bring on is a testament to his commitment and strength to see through a project he signed up for and knew he wouldn't have the ability to see through as he was. At the very least he's left it in good hands with Joss, and he'll be able to focus all his energy on helping his family now, where he needs to be.
  • I will add to that despite the tradgey, I'm amazed at how quiet Snyder has been in the face of all this. I hope that the Internet "journalists" and online communities see this as a serious and touchy subject, because if this were to develop into yet another wave of negative press than I'm sure that will affect Snyder even more, I'm sure Joss Whedon will do him justice, but it's interesting to say that Whedon is now firmly placed in DC's hands, having directed two of most successful Marvel movies, I wonder how DC will utilize his talents. They seem to be going for more respected and talented directors, and not your typical standard action director.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I actually have a huge amount of respect for Snyder after reading that. Not only for how honest he is about the whole thing, and putting his family first like any person would, but also for the fact that he's very aware of how people view him online and he seems to just get on with it anyway.

"They'll do what they do."
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I feel really sorry for the Snyder family now. That is just awful.
    I would hope we can all wish condolences to Zack Snyder as he did not deserve to lose his daughter... :(
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,257
    I actually have a huge amount of respect for Snyder after reading that. Not only for how honest he is about the whole thing, and putting his family first like any person would, but also for the fact that he's very aware of how people view him online and he seems to just get on with it anyway.

"They'll do what they do."

Yeah, that's pretty disheartening. Being forced to make a private matter public just to stave off internet rumors shows how toxic this clickbait culture is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,492
    A look at the costumes from 'Justice League':

Batman's new costume:

http://collider.com/justice-league-batman-new-costume-images/

Personally, I think it looks rather generic, but perhaps it's from a comic or something and the real fans will enjoy it.

The Flash's costume:

http://collider.com/justice-league-flash-costume-images-details/

Cyborg's costume (or rather, a model of it, since his costume in the movie is pure CGI):

http://collider.com/justice-league-cyborg-costume-images/

Aquaman and Wonder Woman:

http://collider.com/justice-league-aquaman-wonder-woman-costume-images/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I don't think the Batman suit will appear too much, but we'll see. It just looks battle ready for fighting bigger enemies. Another thing to sell an action figure for. ;)
    Batman tactical suit is cool, a little busy looking but I suppose the armor aspect makes perfect sense in this situation. I think it would look better with more of the gray armor on the quadriceps area though. Regardless, I imagine that he will go back to the BvS suit in solo films anyway, at least I hope so.

I'm still not loving the Flash's suit, though I think I'd like it much better if that under suit was red. Hopefully the reports of him getting an upgraded suit later in the film are true.

Cyborg's design is too complex. I'd prefer if he looked more like a mix of Robocop and his current design.

Aquaman looks really good. There's less green in his upper body area than previous photos made it seem, though I wish his upper body was more orange, or even gold, than this dull seaweed color.

And Wonder Woman looks perfect. I'm perfectly happy with this design.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Doug Liman Parts Ways With Justice League Dark Movie
    "Sources tell Variety that director Doug Liman has left the project. Insiders say the reason is schedule-related, as Liman is also attached to direct Lionsgate’s “Chaos Walking,” which recently received a greenlight. Sources say the studio has already started meeting with other directors and should have a replacement for Liman lined up shortly."
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/doug-liman-leaves-dark-universe-chaos-walking-1202442185/
    Doug Liman Parts Ways With Justice League Dark Movie
    "Sources tell Variety that director Doug Liman has left the project. Insiders say the reason is schedule-related, as Liman is also attached to direct Lionsgate’s “Chaos Walking,” which recently received a greenlight. Sources say the studio has already started meeting with other directors and should have a replacement for Liman lined up shortly."
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/doug-liman-leaves-dark-universe-chaos-walking-1202442185/

They need Del Toro for this. It's so obvious!
  • Doug Liman Parts Ways With Justice League Dark Movie

They need Del Toro for this. It's so obvious!

Doug Liman was an interesting choice. Kind of bummed about that, but wasn't Del Toro originally attached to the project?
    He was.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,492
    Perhaps he'd be free for it now, given he's not working on the new 'Hellboy.'

Apparently the director of 'IT' and 'Mama', Andreas Muschietti, is in talks to direct now:

http://collider.com/justice-league-dark-loses-director-doug-liman/
    They need someone who can blend fantasy imagery with a very occult seeming eye. Especially if the likes of John Constantine are on board.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,081
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Perhaps he'd be free for it now, given he's not working on the new 'Hellboy.'

Apparently the director of 'IT' and 'Mama', Andreas Muschietti, is in talks to direct now:

http://collider.com/justice-league-dark-loses-director-doug-liman/

That's an interesting choice. 'IT' is one of my most anticipated movies of the year. Although Suicide Squad also had a sort of supernatural threat as opposed to traditional.
    Suicide Squad had a threat?
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    Suicide Squad had a threat?

Yeah, I think it was a witch or something, I forgot, I haven't gone and seen the film since opening night
    suicide-squad-35-gif-transcend-ance-123wtf-watch-the-film-saint-pauly.gif?w=1200
    The witch was awesome, especially in her first scene.
    The witch was awesome, especially in her first scene.

I do like the actress Cara Delavigne there is something about her.

Now I did not expect to see this when I checked the Nerdist news feed...

Crikey that's Hawkgirl
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

I just hope it's a decent film.
    jake24 wrote: »

That s pretty dumb. What if they only allowed men for some film? They would be reported to the police, I am sure.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    It's just a screening for women, big deal. Let them have their fun. Why would anyone want to barge in on something that women are organizing for themselves? There are plenty of other screenings that men can attend (i.e. literally every other screening of the film). And men can organize a men-only screening too, if they think that idea has some value.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Idiotic. Still, if it turns their crank, let them get off on it. It's marketing for the film and allows the girls to be happy about something, since the disgrace that is the Ghostbusters reboot obviously didn't work out. Perhaps Oceans Eight will be the icing on the cake for them. I find gender identification politics so tedious.
  • I see it perfectly reasonable. This is the first female led superhero movie of the modern era, let the girls have all the fun.
    I am not really hyped for WW. I am not sure what DC will offer with the movie but the reason why I'm not hyped is cause it's a prequel sort of movie.....and it reminds me of the first Capt.America movie which was one of the worst and most boring movies I've ever seen..
    I know this will be beetter than The First Avenger but...idk, I'm more hyped to see what will happen next in the DC universe than what happened before.. I'll see the movie for sure tho and I hope I'll like it, since I totally am seeing it with open mind and no expectations (good or bad) i can really have a good impact on me.

btw for the record here are my DCEU rankings:

1. MoS: Great movie from start to finish. The dog scene was 0/10 and it was terrible but the rest of the movie was good.

2 SS: I really really liked the movie. Nothing bad with it, it's like others saw a different movie. Good stuff

3. BvS: I haven't seen the ultimate edition but this movie had too much going for it and it had too many not needed things. And they managed to make half the movie boring....I have no idea how they managed it but....the Parademons scene was dumb as well. But it had great acting. Luthor was amazing and I loved him. Cavill was good and Battfleck was fantastic! The actual B versus S scene was really really good too (screw the sheep who hate on the Martha scene cause it's cool to hate on it, I thought it was alrgiht scene that added human touch to Bruce and exposed Bruce's fears he tried to mask). The Luthor/Superman scene on the rooftoop (or whatever it was) was the best scene in the movie. However...too convoluted, boring, and "lol wat?". Not a bad movie cause it had many great stuff but...yeah...I should probably see the ultimate edition
    Ugh. At least the feminists who are reacting to men being upset about this know how many men feel about feminists when they spout all their stupid talking points all the time. Not as fun when the sides are swapped, eh?

If a film came out and an all-male screening was scheduled for it all across the country (like a new Batman), the theater chain would be getting letters written in an anarchic vein by women who would threaten to burn the whole place down. If it's not okay for men to do it, it shouldn't be acceptable for women either, and vice versa. Simple entertainment shouldn't be such a big deal, but when women make it a big deal and tell men to suck it up when they pull things like this, the whole narrative is lost.

Diana is a character who is explicitly egalitarian. She's not a soldier for women, she's a soldier for all. If Wonder Woman was mayor, for instance, I don't think she'd be rushing to support screenings like this that are seen as a cute form of discrimination simply because so many women like to play the victim of the patriarchy in 2017 and have the mythic wage gap and all the rest of their tired talking points to spout in defense of it all. It's just hilarious to see western women having a fit over the reaction to this, when women in less developed parts of the world have actual problems that go beyond their ability to see a f@#$ing movie. Like protection from rampant sexual assault. Or oppressive gender laws. Or the ability to have careers.

Sigh.
  • dragonsky wrote: »
    I am not really hyped for WW. I am not sure what DC will offer with the movie but the reason why I'm not hyped is cause it's a prequel sort of movie.....and it reminds me of the first Capt.America movie which was one of the worst and most boring movies I've ever seen..
    I know this will be beetter than The First Avenger but...idk, I'm more hyped to see what will happen next in the DC universe than what happened before.. I'll see the movie for sure tho and I hope I'll like it, since I totally am seeing it with open mind and no expectations (good or bad) i can really have a good impact on me.

btw for the record here are my DCEU rankings:

1. MoS: Great movie from start to finish. The dog scene was 0/10 and it was terrible but the rest of the movie was good.

2 SS: I really really liked the movie. Nothing bad with it, it's like others saw a different movie. Good stuff

3. BvS: I haven't seen the ultimate edition but this movie had too much going for it and it had too many not needed things. And they managed to make half the movie boring....I have no idea how they managed it but....the Parademons scene was dumb as well. But it had great acting. Luthor was amazing and I loved him. Cavill was good and Battfleck was fantastic! The actual B versus S scene was really really good too (screw the sheep who hate on the Martha scene cause it's cool to hate on it, I thought it was alrgiht scene that added human touch to Bruce and exposed Bruce's fears he tried to mask). The Luthor/Superman scene on the rooftoop (or whatever it was) was the best scene in the movie. However...too convoluted, boring, and "lol wat?". Not a bad movie cause it had many great stuff but...yeah...I should probably see the ultimate edition

The Ultimate Edition fixes some problems,that being said I find it to be a "good" movie, but it was one of the longest film experiences of my life, and I once sat through both Godfather Part 1 and Part 2 in a single setting, so that says something. I have to say the only DCEU movie that let me down was SS, I like MOS, and objectively it's probably the best film of the DCEU to date, I loved BVS when I first saw it, then its flaws sank in until I watched the UE, and regained some of my respect for the film.