DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    18556394_917028541789566_7636688463726430672_n.jpg?oh=e4ee0d9d216504a5d634900f08c51a90&oe=59B029F2
    Ouch!!!... It's a swipe at Snyder
    Yes, Bats is the exception. Unless some future imagining riffs off the campy Adam West take of the '60s, Batman dwells in his own dark world. There's just no contrast though if Supes dwells there too.

Exactly you hit the nail on the head, I like BvS though the contrast between Batman and Superman was not visible enough in look, actions or philosophies.
    I hope they give out some IMAX posters on Wonder Woman's opening night. I've been collecting and framing many of them over the years and I'm looking for any excuse to hang a picture of Gal Gadot on my wall.

I do like my DC art recently got a framed set of six Justice League character images from the upcoming film, I have a few steel DC plaques also I often try to get hold of steel plaques. The above WW poster is striking in High Definition.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    All these reviews on Wonder Woman lean towards the film being fantastic and the best DC movie since TDK. This is very very good.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    #SACKZACK
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    All these reviews on Wonder Woman lean towards the film being fantastic and the best DC movie since TDK. This is very very good.
    I doubt it will surpass TDKR, but it shouldnt' be too difficult to do better than anything they've come up with since.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    DCEU in one picture

DAMrr9WUAAA66-J.jpg
    Lol. Sad but true.
    DCEU in one picture

DAMrr9WUAAA66-J.jpg

Saw that on fb yesterday very apt

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    I doubt it will surpass TDKR, but it shouldnt' be too difficult to do better than anything they've come up with since.

Won't be too hard to surpass TDKR, either.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883

Won't be too hard to surpass TDKR, either.
    I'm afraid I disagree. Takes a lot of hits around these parts, but I love it. WW won't come close imho. The marketing hype is in overdrive, and perhaps it's better than the previous entries in this universe. That's about it.
    I watch TDKR most out of the trilogy, it's not perfect though that movie is ambitious has some great scenes.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TDKR is ambitious but so was BvS.

It completely fell apart for me in the last third.
    I watch TDKR most out of the trilogy, it's not perfect though that movie is ambitious has some great scenes.
    Me too. Whenever I need me a hit of Nolan Bat magic, TDKR is the one I reach for. I just love the fact that it's Bat focused and sort of brings the whole thing full circle. He takes a few hits due to overconfidence, but comes back stronger than ever.

Not perfect by any means, and somewhat bloated. Still, I admire the ambition and the story resonates.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I prefer TDKR over TDK. I love both but TDK, while amazing, is overrated. Out of the three, though, I prefer Batman Begins.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love all the Nolan films, but TDKR is definitely the weakest in story, character and overall pacing. It also becomes far too much like a comic book at the end, which is jarring when Nolan fought so hard to make BB and TDK feel so grounded.

It was clear that Heath's death left the team in a rough spot as to where the films would go next, and it shows. I really dislike how they wrote Bruce as a man who just gave up, and other issues mount up after that. I still enjoy it thoroughly, for scenes like Bruce's crawl out of the pit, but it's quite obviously the weakest of the trilogy in every area that matters to me.

It's just one of those things where you have to rank a series of films and one has to go last. I love every film of the Craig era, but I'd probably have to put SP at the bottom, despite my enjoyment of all the films, and the same with YOLT for Connery's era. So nothing against TDKR.

I would really be interested to know where the last film would've gone if Heath had lived, however, as I think he would've come back in some capacity later on. Christ did we miss out if that were the case.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Take away the stupid Talia al Ghul twist and TDK and TDKR would be tied for Best Batman Movie for me (along with Mask of the Phantasm). TDKR had a great plot and villain with Bane, but then came Talia.
    Take away the stupid Talia al Ghul twist and TDK and TDKR would be tied for Best Batman Movie for me (along with Mask of the Phantasm). TDKR had a great plot and villain with Bane, but then came Talia.
    I'm inclined to agree. The Talia thing was weak.

For me, TDKR and BB are the ones that I really gravitate to because they are Wayne/Bat centric and give Bale an opportunity to shine (he's one of the primary reasons I love the Nolan series so much). TDK is more about the Joker and Dent from my standpoint and therefore I almost view it as a standalone.

Similar (but not quite the same) to GF in comparison to the Young entries in the Bond world.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Talia was definitely a weak link. I knew who her character was immediately, with no thought needed to uncover it. And that really hurts the film, because when you know that an ally is really an enemy and Batman, the so-called greatest detective doesn't, credibility is strained. Batman should've been able to find out who was gunning for him long before he took a knife to the stomach. It was just a poor use of Talia, who really has nothing about her that matches the comics character. In the books Talia is really a premier woman in Batman's life, and has more contemporaneously fathered his only natural child. Her use in the film was obviously just a weak attempt to bring the revenge mission of Ra's full circle, and little else. She loses a lot of depth or importance as a character because her role is just continuing the work of another man.

And that death scene. Oh, that death scene. *shivers*
    Me too. Whenever I need me a hit of Nolan Bat magic, TDKR is the one I reach for. I just love the fact that it's Bat focused and sort of brings the whole thing full circle. He takes a few hits due to overconfidence, but comes back stronger than ever.

Not perfect by any means, and somewhat bloated. Still, I admire the ambition and the story resonates.

You really do get a sense of scale regarding the city, the IMAX shots are phenomenal.

Batman Begins
    TDKR
    TDK
    Is my Ranking though love all three films.

You really do get a sense of scale regarding the city, the IMAX shots are phenomenal.

Batman Begins
    TDKR
    TDK
    Is my Ranking though love all three films.
    Agreed on the sense of scale. Very realistic too compared to the CGI tripe we see too much of these days (compare the city burning scenes to the dour rubbish in BvS for instance). I agree with your ranking, and love them all as well.
    I am a IMAX junkie and Nolan is fantastic at exploiting what you can do with the technology, my eyes pop with Nolans incredible visuals. I know some are not keen though I would be very happy if Nolan did a Bond film.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I am a IMAX junkie and Nolan is fantastic at exploiting what you can do with the technology, my eyes pop with Nolans incredible visuals. I know some are not keen though I would be very happy if Nolan did a Bond film.

I love when Blu-rays switch aspect ratios during IMAX scenes. I believe at least 3 of Nolan's films do this. I was really disappointed when I learned BvS wouldn't.

I love when Blu-rays switch aspect ratios during IMAX scenes. I believe at least 3 of Nolan's films do this. I was really disappointed when I learned BvS wouldn't.
    Me too. Love that aspect as well. Coincidentally, I'm watching BvS as I type this.
    Recently rewatched Tron Legacy the IMAX switch is great on that, I have said it many times though still hoping Ghost Protocol will get a release with the IMAX aspect ratio put in.

Me too. Love that aspect as well. Coincidentally, I'm watching BvS as I type this.

@bondjames, if you're going through a rough time and are punishing yourself just to feel something, we're all here to talk. ;)
    I just watched it the other night too! Me & the wife watched Man of Steel first and then BvS the next night.
    I LOVE both of those movies!

I swear, one day BvS will get the recognition it deserves.
    I love MoS and BvS though I do understand people's issues with them, I see them as alternate interpretations elseworld tales. I prefer them to the majority of the MCU films

@bondjames, if you're going through a rough time and are punishing yourself just to feel something, we're all here to talk. ;)
    Just finished the extended edition @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. It was a bit of chore to get through.

I have to say I don't like this iteration of Batman at all. It doesn't get better with more viewings. Not only is he too bulky (a brute), but his behaviour is uncharacteristic of the caped crusader, as has been discussed many times. Moreover, he just doesn't belong in this overstylized, unrealistic environment with Kryptonian larger than life characters. He's too 'real' as a character for this universe.

Supes has potential, but he needs to be inserted into a more uplifting setting next time around, which seems unlikely any time soon. It's ok to smile once in a while Superman.

There's so much going on in this film that it's still overwhelming for me to take it all in, even on this, my third viewing. The narrative is unnecessarily complex and overwrought. I have to credit Snyder with keeping all the pieces up in the air. It's just that he's juggling so much that he inevitably leaves one with a half baked feeling.

It's tough work using one film to try to build an entire universe, but it was an ambitious attempt.
    The narrative is unnecessarily complex and overwrought.

That's my main criticism. The plot is just so unnecessarily convoluted. There were definitely simpler ways to tell a Batman vs Supes story in this cinematic universe.
    I swear, one day BvS will get the recognition it deserves.

Whether or not it deserves more recognition... I don't know, but I also don't think it deserves the hate it gets. Perhaps the stigma behind the film will fade some day.

Anyway, has anyone played Injustice 2 yet? I haven't, and I don't imagine I will until it goes on sale sometime down the road, but I did watch all the cut scenes on Youtube. If you have the time and want to watch what amounts to a really cool DC film, watch this:

Anyway, has anyone played Injustice 2 yet?

I did! I preordered the Ultimate Edition because I'm a huge sucker for steelbooks, lol.
    It's very fun and insanely customizable! You earn costume pieces that not only change your appearance, but can give you different abilities! On top of that, you can change everyone's color scheme. The days of jumping, punching and special moves are over- there's a lot more strategy behind it.
    The only negative is that you start with nothing, looking plain as hell, and grinding points for unlockables couldbe faster...

But overall it's a great game!