DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

Penguin as a mobster is compelling in it's own way again I love what Batman Earth One did with him making him a corrupt Mayor of a corrupt town (though I don't want that element used for a third time in live action)

Again if we are using Penguin I would want it to be a Mob war between him and another mobster (Black Mask Two Face Carmine Falconie?)

but it also depends which film are we talking about

Gotham City Sirens Penguin could be the only villain and main villain there because the film I am envisioning (which again know the characters never read a single part of the series) is a Noir meets Mission Impossible film where a reformed Edward Nygma (Neil Patrick Harris) finds the three Sirens Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) Catwoman (Anne Hathaway... if Judi Dench can play the same character in two different time lines Anne can too.) and Poison Ivy (I have no idea who could play this character to be honest and I never could understand the character sometimes she is sympathetic like Mr Freeze other times she makes Joker look like a nice guy by comparison one comic book had her seducing men and women at bars only to bring them home and kill them in a slow and painfull way honestly I think and I know I will get hate pms for this but maybe Summer Glau) and convinces them to work for him to stop a shipment of high tech weapons into gotham city harbor only problem Nygma has no idea when the ship is coming in. sure that is a bare bones plot but it doe give each of the 4 characters an arc (riddler trying to prove he really is a good guy and not setting up the Sirens on a sucide mission Posion Ivy to show she is not a psycho Catwoman that she can be a motherly figure to these younger girls and Quinn moving on from joker and coming up with the final plan to take down the Penguin) and it would be extremely entertaining not to mention since there will likely be a Harley Quinn/poison ivy romance 13 year old boys who don't get you can see similar things for free on the internet will go in droves to the cinema so WB will get the money they need..

but of course I know that instead of a nice quite Noir espionage piece it will be a big bombastic avengers esque film when it doesn't need to be.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I already don't care for Josh Gad, and he would play an incredibly cheesy, hammy version of the Penguin, something that would make me cringe. I suppose if it all pans out and that's what they're going for, though, then they've got their man.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I already don't care for Josh Gad, and he would play an incredibly cheesy, hammy version of the Penguin, something that would make me cringe. I suppose if it all pans out and that's what they're going for, though, then they've got their man.

@Creasy47, that's exactly what I'm worried about too. And as you say, Gad is all of that.
    I have a good vibe from Wonder Woman. Warner may have done something right, at last.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I have a good vibe from Wonder Woman. Warner may have done something right, at last.

Lots of people had good vibes before BvS and 'Suicide Squad,' as well. DC needs to start proving they can make quality fare.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »

Lots of people had good vibes before BvS and 'Suicide Squad,' as well. DC needs to start proving they can make quality fare.

I think the big difference there is that, for me, one of the BvS trailers looked cool (the warehouse fight clip), whereas all the WW stuff feels powerful. BvS was all visuals with nothing more to it, whereas I truly feel the spirit of WW in those trailers, and they feel hopeful because of it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well said @Brady. If WW turns out to be the typical DCEU output I'm going to feel super crushed; devestated actually moreso than I probably should but as you said, the film looks powerful and looks genuinely promising.
    @doubleoego, a lot is riding on this film, in three major areas for me.

1) My own personal hope that it's good, as I want nothing more than it to be true.

2) It has to redeem something of the DCEU and the very miss releases that've come since it all began.

3) It needs to succeed to do for female-led superhero films what Deadpool and Logan did for R-rated features. In short, showing people they are worth making and that they can be acclaimed and profitable. This bad paradigm is best seen in the Perlmutter era of Marvel, where he didn't see a future in female led films because he couldn't sell action figures of them. This shit needs to change.
    For me though I liked Batman v superman (and much like Quantum of Solace I have accepted I am in the minority and that I am sure I need to eventually check myself into an insane asylum) I realize how much is riding on this film so I am hopefull it works
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    BvS had so much promise from being the first film to put these characters together, but too much thrown in, horrible direction and intentionally unlikeable characters pulled it down when it should have risen above everything that had come before.
    The problem for me is rushing into these massive films instead of taking their time with some standalone, character-centric pieces like Marvel did.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DC wanted those $1 billion hits that Marvel got, that’s why they rushed. They didn’t take the time to realize Marvel didn't start out with those.
    DC wanted those $1 billion hits that Marvel got, that’s why they rushed. They didn’t take the time to realize Marvel didn't start out with those.

Exactly. They weren't worried about being compared to Marvel, they just wanted all of Marvel's profits out of the gate. They forgot that it took Marvel years of work and solid universe building to get a billion dollar Avengers, however. At the very least BvS showed them that just because you have Batman and Superman in a movie doesn't mean people will eat up what you're giving them. JL is a make or break moment.
    The final trailer for 'Wonder Woman' will debut during the MTV Awards tonight.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Seems unnecessary. I wonder if we're gonna see Ares.
    Looks great. So excited for this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It does. And me, too.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain

1) My own personal hope that it's good, as I want nothing more than it to be true.

2) It has to redeem something of the DCEU and the very miss releases that've come since it all began.

3) It needs to succeed to do for female-led superhero films what Deadpool and Logan did for R-rated features. In short, showing people they are worth making and that they can be acclaimed and profitable. This bad paradigm is best seen in the Perlmutter era of Marvel, where he didn't see a future in female led films because he couldn't sell action figures of them. This shit needs to change.

So true. The good news is that if WW fails, MARVEL has Captain Marvel coming out and I'm pretty sure that will be another good entry from them.

So true. The good news is that if WW fails, MARVEL has Captain Marvel coming out and I'm pretty sure that will be another good entry from them.

True, but she's no WW. If any character deserves the honor of changing the idea of female led superhero films, it should be with the character that showed the world women could be heroic from the very beginning. It's got to be the princess.
    I still can't get a read on WW. I see bits of certain trailers that I think look surprisingly entertaining, then other moments that look similar to all the other superhero movies, the main reasons I avoid them lately. This might be one I check out digitally one day, who knows. If it gets scathing reviews like the other DC installments, though, I know to avoid it like the plague.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Wonder Woman's run time clocking at 2 hours and 21 minutes.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I predict JL is gonna bomb. It will still make money but not the billion dollar blockbuster they're hoping for.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I predict JL is gonna bomb. It will still make money but not the billion dollar blockbuster they're hoping for.

Bomb like SP, you mean?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

Bomb like SP, you mean?
    hopefully it's better than Spectre

Bomb like SP, you mean?
    hopefully it's better than Spectre

He was making a joke about the financials.
    I really like the look of the stuff set on her home island, but the rest hasn't convinced me. I don't know why Chris Pine is so heavily featured in the trailers and the colour grade (other than the island) looks murky and depressing. Also, too much slow-mo. I will go see this, but I am only cautiously optimistic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Milovy wrote: »
    I really like the look of the stuff set on her home island, but the rest hasn't convinced me. I don't know why Chris Pine is so heavily featured in the trailers and the colour grade (other than the island) looks murky and depressing. Also, too much slow-mo. I will go see this, but I am only cautiously optimistic.
    Agreed. There is a novelty value to this given how long we've waited for it, but it had better deliver.

I too am not in favour of too much Pine. I've personally never seen the big deal about him. He seems like a manufactured American Craig wannabee but without the charisma to me.