DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I hadn't even clicked on the video yet and thought "That looks like 'The Flash' meets Bergman's 'The Seventh Seal.'"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It made me laugh out loud. Especially the ending.

"Your words are too slow..."
    SWOOOSSHH!!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The concept of Aquaman sounds intriguing. My wish has come true with the inclusion of Orm, and that makes me hope that some aspect of the story will involve Aquaman learning how to take the throne through protecting it from his half-brother's coup to take it for himself. It could be a very politically heavy story depicting a fight for royalty, with elements of coming of age for Curry as he finally accepts his title (and maybe loses a hand along the way).
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    The concept of Aquaman sounds intriguing. My wish has come true with the inclusion of Orm, and that makes me hope that some aspect of the story will involve Aquaman learning how to take the throne through protecting it from his half-brother's coup to take it for himself. It could be a very politically heavy story depicting a fight for royalty, with elements of coming of age for Curry as he finally accepts his title (and maybe loses a hand along the way).

I agree there is alot to mine there with Aquaman, Throne of Atlantis was mixed with some though I really enjoyed it.

This story is interesting...

Superman takes on KKK in a new movie
    Is he undercover?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is he undercover?

At a nudist beach that also doubles as a KKK treading ground?
    The fact Reeves was obsessed with Batman is encouraging in that he appears to understand the character.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    So is Affleck but he stepped down. I believe because the studio kept interfering, which is discouraging.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 28,694
    So is Affleck but he stepped down. I believe because the studio kept interfering, which is discouraging.

I don't think it's anything quite so worrisome or dramatic. Ben just realized how hard it is to balance the work of leading a film, writing it and directing it, all while facing some personal struggles that put the wind out of his sails. It's better for all of us and the project that he was "man" enough to step down from directing to seek out a partner who he could collaborate with. He can still have his vision, but he'll have another team on set to help him out with that, instead of taking so much of that weight on his own shoulders.

As for Reeves, it's great to see how passionate and knowledgable he is about the character. When you get directors who actually know the characters on a fundamental level, you get stuff like Nolan's Batman movies. Bring it on, I say.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Also, Josh Gad posted a seemingly random image of the Penguin on Twitter. Twitter detectives have also pointed out that a number of key DCEU figures are following him.

Oh, Christ.
    Also, Josh Gad posted a seemingly random image of the Penguin on Twitter. Twitter detectives have also pointed out that a number of key DCEU figures are following him.

098716ade3495d39e7a58fccfd06fc93_nooo-meme-darth-vader-04jpg-meme-darth-vader-nooo_640-349.jpeg
    The only way that could even begin to be a good pick is if they covered Gad in aging make-up from head to toe. But even then, I still don't care for it.
    I'll be honest the Penguin is one of my least favourite from the rogues gallery, I only ever liked Burgess Meredith's portrayal.
  • Never heard of the guy to be honest
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

098716ade3495d39e7a58fccfd06fc93_nooo-meme-darth-vader-04jpg-meme-darth-vader-nooo_640-349.jpeg
    Oh god. Or should be oh gad. Might as well get Danny de Vito to reprise his role.

Oh god. Or should be oh gad. Might as well get Danny de Vito to reprise his role.

960.jpg I think Danny needs the work ;)
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Screw you guys, DeVito is still #1 on my Penguin fancast list. Not to reprise his role as the weird man-penguin character, but to play the typical mobster version of the character.

But like Brady said, Gad is way too young.
    Joking aside not a fan of the Penguin at this point in the DCU the Penguin is the last character I want to see Batfleck go against.
    Joking aside not a fan of the Penguin at this point in the DCU the Penguin is the last character I want to see Batfleck go against.

If we do see him, he shouldn't be a big character or a main antagonist. Batman could simply come to him at the Iceberg Lounge to get some criminal underground info.
    I have confidence in Matt Reeves any reimagining of the Penguin I am sure would be good, though at this stage I would leave the character for later films.
    DeVito really excelled at playing the kind of jealous swine Oswald is, always a delight to watch in that Burton film. It also came to him at the right time and played to his strengths; he could do the dry, hoarse deliveries and cackles well.

Gad is very much a different breed in that way, as I don't see him having that edge. He's the cutesy funny man with the Disney catalogue, and is played for humor in nearly everything. I would only want Oswald around if the tone was as it was with Burton's Batman, and he was kept as a very sickening pig with a serious inferiority complex. In short, the character we know. Making him silly or playing him off as comedic relief shouldn't be advised, and that's the worry I have with this possible news.

I just think that with character like Penguin, DC are heading into a territory where the ability to suspend disbelief only rises. For whatever reason, maybe it's my lack of care for this vision, I just can't stop feeling how goofy it is to watch a bunch of adults running around in tights. During BvS I was cringing at times, and it only then came to light for me how silly the prospect of all that I was seeing was. With Marvel they have a clear vision and a sense of fun, as opposed to Synder's rather Machiavellian world vision, and that makes it easy to forgive some of the aspects of the universe like the tights. You also care about the characters, and their journeys, so a lot is easy to accept when you see so much effort put in. I think DC's lack of these crucial elements only draw more eyes to what they aren't doing right, and how their characters are used. I just don't think the image of Penguin shooting a gun disguised as an umbrella and flying away with said umbrella would work in live-action. My worry is it would come off as silly and incongruous to the wrist-slashing world Snyder created and that he masturbates at the thought of.
    I am so sick of the joker I would gladly take Gad as the penguin...

Brady do you see what WB has done to me I actually am routing for the Penguin instead of hoping for an unused villain like Clayface Hush Hugo Strange or Mad Hatter (all of whom could hold a film together and be unique foes for not only Batman but the superhero genere at large)
    @Risico, haha, we agree there, mate. I wouldn't want to see Joker period, but Leto's Joker? I wish we could erase him from memory.
    De Vito was excellent. I know nothing about this Joshgod, but if they can update the character in an interesting way, it might work. The Penguin is often just a background character, one who pulls strings.
    @Risico, haha, we agree there, mate. I wouldn't want to see Joker period, but Leto's Joker? I wish we could erase him from memory.

I didn't see Suicide Squad but from the trailers Leto's joker felt bland but not horrible much like the Joker from young Justice again bland but not bad.

of course maybe there will be some kind of adaption of the Long Halloween sorry with Leto tweeting pics of him as joker...

unless Penguin is the villain in the Gotham City Sirens film (which considering the time line of when that group was inveted would make sense I never read a single issue but I know Penguin and Black Mask were at war with each other during that time so perhaps that will be apart of the film?)
    Penguin would work as described best, a person Batman comes to threaten to get information on the underground crime networks. As a major villain, he doesn't really work as he's essentially just a collector and black marketeer. His operations don't make for very interesting big screen viewing, as they are rather simple and the only other thing he's known for is disliking the Wayne's for making his own family line step back. It's why he's commonly just featured in short animated episodes: he steals objects he covets, and that's about it, while sometimes getting back at Bruce for the aforementioned family history issue through his own arrogance.

The Burton film uses him shockingly well, even if it's not the version you expect. The film made an actual statement of "freaks" being more than they look, and his origin and how he entered into Gotham's underground is very sad, making him a sympathetic character. In the end, all he has is his birds after society does away with him. In many ways he's possible proof to Bruce about what would happen if a "freak" like himself tried to fight the good fight as Batman in the light of the public eye. It puts a target on you, and he makes the decision to always fight in shadow because of it. I almost feel like Burton was using that film to make a very personal statement that eccentric people like himself, people who could be teased as being odd or freakish as Penguin is, can do great things or are more than meets the eye. Penguin's character and how he's written has always felt like a giant projection of Burton's own mind, experiences and worries to me because of this. An element of autobiography seems to be at work somewhere in there...