DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I predict JL is gonna bomb. It will still make money but not the billion dollar blockbuster they're hoping for.

Bomb like SP, you mean?
    hopefully it's better than Spectre

He was making a joke about the financials.
    I know

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Milovy, Pine is playing Diana's assumed love interest (often in the comics to a high degree), so he'll be a major fixture of the film. I actually quite like the color from what I've seen, especially in comparison to the other DC films which have palettes you'd find in a Louisiana bog. I think the colors will be somewhat muted for the battlefield sections and all the bits of WWI action to give it a proper mood of sorrow, but when it hits Wonder Woman's homeland the colors should really come out.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    Milovy wrote: »
    I really like the look of the stuff set on her home island, but the rest hasn't convinced me. I don't know why Chris Pine is so heavily featured in the trailers and the colour grade (other than the island) looks murky and depressing. Also, too much slow-mo. I will go see this, but I am only cautiously optimistic.
    Agreed. There is a novelty value to this given how long we've waited for it, but it had better deliver.

I too am not in favour of too much Pine. I've personally never seen the big deal about him. He seems like a manufactured American Craig wannabee but without the charisma to me.

Hell Or High Water anyone? He was superb in that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I really like the look of the stuff set on her home island, but the rest hasn't convinced me. I don't know why Chris Pine is so heavily featured in the trailers and the colour grade (other than the island) looks murky and depressing. Also, too much slow-mo. I will go see this, but I am only cautiously optimistic.
    Agreed. There is a novelty value to this given how long we've waited for it, but it had better deliver.

I too am not in favour of too much Pine. I've personally never seen the big deal about him. He seems like a manufactured American Craig wannabee but without the charisma to me.

Hell Or High Water anyone? He was superb in that.
    I haven't seen it and of course he is good in some films (Unstoppable for instance, although the great Denzel is in that too).

He just seems to be one of these Hollywood 'go-to' boys and while decent enough, I find him a little overexposed. Moreover, his limitations were painfully apparent in the Jack Ryan reboot. Perhaps he should focus on some 'deeper' work for a time.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames you should really check out 'Hell or High Water'. Not only does Chris Pine give one hell of a performance, but I also thought Jeff Bridges gave the performance of a lifetime. I had the pleasure of double billing it on the big screen last year with the Escobar cartel thriller 'The Infiltrator' with Bryan Cranston. Both were really fantastic films.
    A positive recommendation from you goes a long way @DaltonCraig007. I recall your mentioning that this was worth seeing - I just didn't realize it was the same film that we were discussing initially. I wasn't able to catch The Infiltrator (it didn't even show near me) either, but that's another one I'm quite keen on seeing at some point.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames Hopefully you can get big screen Escobar-themed action this year thanks to Tom Cruise's 'American Made' in a few months. Being a Cruise vehicle, you should have no problem finding a showing near you.
    Indeed @DaltonCraig007, that shouldn't be too difficult. I'm going to try and get a copy of The Infiltrator beforehand too.

I am really excited for WW and hope it lives up to my high expectations. The Steve Trevor element is unfortunately something that can't be avoided, but as long as there is no excess sappiness, I'll be ok.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Pine will really impress. The romance between the characters is punctuated by a lot of nice timing on the part of both performers, and I don't foresee any sappy bull coming our way. Steve and Diana will have a very playful dynamic, and in the heat of wartime there won't be much time for them to get corny or overdramatic about it. There will be the mission, always ahead.
    I sure hope so.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 676
    @Milovy, Pine is playing Diana's assumed love interest (often in the comics to a high degree), so he'll be a major fixture of the film. I actually quite like the color from what I've seen, especially in comparison to the other DC films which have palettes you'd find in a Louisiana bog. I think the colors will be somewhat muted for the battlefield sections and all the bits of WWI action to give it a proper mood of sorrow, but when it hits Wonder Woman's homeland the colors should really come out.
    Kind of a shame they feel the need to have a love interest. This is Wonder Woman - of all heroes, she shouldn't need one. Steve Trevor must be a remarkable man, otherwise the romance will just feel forced. I do notice in the trailers that the character seems to be mainly comic relief. Doesn't look very funny, although I do appreciate that they are attempting some moments of levity, and Pine was funny as a vain prince in Into the Woods. So we'll see how it turns out.

Re: the colour. My worry is that the homeland section (which looks beautiful) will just be the opening 20-30 min and then we'll have to spend the rest of the run time in murkiness (or a "mood of sorrow" as you've put it).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Of course. I saw it, I liked it, i bought it.
    Kind of a shame they feel the need to have a love interest. This is Wonder Woman - of all heroes, she shouldn't need one. Steve Trevor must be a remarkable man, otherwise the romance will just feel forced. I do notice in the trailers that the character seems to be mainly comic relief. Doesn't look very funny, although I do appreciate that they are attempting some moments of levity, and Pine was funny as a vain prince in Into the Woods. So we'll see how it turns out.

Re: the colour. My worry is that the homeland section (which looks beautiful) will just be the opening 20-30 min and then we'll have to spend the rest of the run time in murkiness (or a "mood of sorrow" as you've put it).

@Milovy, Steve is pretty great, I think. Diana is returning to a man's world that her people have decided isn't worth saving, so her choice to help out during WWI is sparked by Steve and his people's plight. He'd have to be convincing and worthy of being helped by her, as she risks exile from her world and her people by helping the "man's world."

I think we'll end up seeing far more color than we won't in the film. From the trailers I can see a lot of time being spent on the islands, but I don't want to spoil things for you as to when it'll unfold.
    I think Pine will really impress. The romance between the characters is punctuated by a lot of nice timing on the part of both performers, and I don't foresee any sappy bull coming our way. Steve and Diana will have a very playful dynamic, and in the heat of wartime there won't be much time for them to get corny or overdramatic about it. There will be the mission, always ahead.

Agreed, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Thank god.
    Thank god.

My thoughts exactly
    Very sad to read.

I disagree on the author's conclusion that extensive reshoots don't necessarily mean a poor final product. In my experience, it normally does. He uses Rogue One to justify his conclusion, but I personally feel that film stunk of a production in shambles (I know the film has its fans here, but I'm certainly not one of them).

Regarding BvS: I know it's been beaten to death here. I just felt the characters weren't compelling. Affleck's angry Bat isn't a patch on Bale's complex one, and Cavill's mopey Supes does absolutely nothing for me (and didn't in MoS either). The premise was poorly hatched as well.

Reading this makes me 2nd guess my hopes that EON will craft a multi-story arc for Bond post-Craig. Sometimes that can box one in, as is evidenced by this possible fiasco in the making.
    I feel very sorry for the actors in these circumstances, regardless of how well they are paid.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So it underwent reshoots to make two separate movies, and now it's getting even more? Christ. This universe they're attempting to run is a joke.
    On that same site, Charlie Hunnam is rumoured as the likely big screen Green Arrow.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    So it underwent reshoots to make two separate movies, and now it's getting even more? Christ. This universe they're attempting to run is a joke.

@Creasy47, what are you talking about? They just shot JL as one movie, and have set aside the option for a sequel around 2019 or 2020 if all goes well.
    On that same site, Charlie Hunnam is rumoured as the likely big screen Green Arrow.

He'd be my dream casting, but these sites are all a joke so I never give my hopes up.
    I'm aware of that; my comment reflects the fact that it was reshot so much that they could've created two separate versions of the movie, and on top of that now, it's getting even more reshoots.
    I'm aware of that; my comment reflects the fact that it was reshot so much that they could've created two separate versions of the movie, and on top of that now, it's getting even more reshoots.

I haven't heard any reports on how much footage has been shot, but it is very much a Snyder move to film so much on set that you'd have enough film for two movies. I think BvS had at least 4 hours of footage in total that could've been formed into two films easily. Nuts, really. I could never imagine throwing that much money at a movie.

He'd be my dream casting, but these sites are all a joke so I never give my hopes up.

Give him Green Arrow, and let him stay the hell away ftom Bond.

I haven't heard any reports on how much footage has been shot, but it is very much a Snyder move to film so much on set that you'd have enough film for two movies. I think BvS had at least 4 hours of footage in total that could've been formed into two films easily. Nuts, really. I could never imagine throwing that much money at a movie.

From the article on SlashFilm:

"...in the 17 months between the start of principal photography and the final cut arriving in theaters in November that the film will have essentially been “remade…twice.”

Give him Green Arrow, and let him stay the hell away ftom Bond.

Absolutely. He's got a smarminess that is the bad kind of confidence, and though it'd be horrible for Bond it'd be great for playing Olly. If the films weren't doing origins for all the heroes they could've used Oliver as he appears in The Dark Knight Returns, where he's lost an arm and has a nasty history with Superman. It'd be interesting, at the very least.