DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Oh for gods sake! Just put this Batman film on the back burner then. We don't even need another Batman movie. Batman is my all time favorite character, but there are other characters in the DC universe that deserve some attention.

Edit:
    Snyder has released this still...
    Batman fighting Parademon

16830931_1344628698930606_111743984761715778_n.jpg?oh=a32954694b83ef14cf94d64d56eddf83&oe=5944427F

Cool picture though, if nothing else, this movie will have some badass action scenes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Christ, this movie must be a creative mess. A Batman movie starring the biggest and most bankable comics character of popular culture, and nobody can get signed on?

The script can't be that bad, can it?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Plot twist, The Joker's mom's name is Martha too. :))
  • What about that Ridley Scott rumor? I can't think of anything DC is doing at the moment that's half as exciting as the idea of Ridley doing Batman.
  • The idea of Ridley Scott creating Gotham City is very appealing
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Wow...I bet Gibson walks away from SS too. At this point it just feels like WB/DC aren't even trying to legitimately improve their image.

Meanwhile Logan is getting rave reviews and is being hailed as TDK level good or better.
    This new rumor comes from an anonymous Reddit user

This same user stated:
    there really hasn't been any actual test screens of Wonder Woman at this time. I'm not sure where or why that rumor started but I can say without a doubt that the only people privy to what the actual movie looks like are DC higher ups.

As someone who knows the above statement to be false, I choose not to put much stock into his multi picture deal claim.

Regardless, that article and reddit post was from a few days ago.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The idea of Ridley Scott creating Gotham City is very appealing

Totally agree.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    John Campea just said on today's mailbag that the "feeling is mutual" between WB and Ben Affleck regarding Ben leaving the role of Batman. His sources claim that WB no longer want him.

Damn...the negative PR surrounding the DCEU always manages to top itself.

• I find it difficult to believe WB don't want Ben to still play Batman (if that is indeed true there is a easy way to recast Batman using the Flash), though it's feasible they changed there mind regarding Ben helming a Batman film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    John Campea just said on today's mailbag that the "feeling is mutual" between WB and Ben Affleck regarding Ben leaving the role of Batman. His sources claim that WB no longer want him.

@doubleoego, here's my problem with Campea. He asserts his "stories" or "sources" as so on the money, then whines the next few days about how people took him seriously. He was even adamant in tone about the earlier source saying Ben wanted out, and showed no sign of doubt.

If any of this is true, good lord... Without Ben and what his Batman could grow into, there's not much interest left in the DCEU for me. You all know me, I come for Batman and stay for Batman.

The only great alternative if Ben left would be if somehow Josh Brolin was cast to replace him, as I believe he was in the original running.

But can WB come back from the steep amount of PR unrest with JL, Flash, Batman and on and on and on?
  • For someone claiming to be a DC fan, JC forever states he 'is one of the few' who likes Man of Steel JC says the film is a masterpiece, JC 'is one of the few' that likes BvS. Despite being a self proclaimed super fan JC is forever sticking the boot into DC and overacts to any DC related news, I can't take him seriously.
    Yep, he did the same thing with the Wonder Woman news, pushing Jaimie Alexander too hard and being very dismissive of Gal. You don't go to Collider for clear heads, however. Which is why I never visit at all.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Yep, he did the same thing with the Wonder Woman news, pushing Jaimie Alexander too hard and being very dismissive of Gal. You don't go to Collider for clear heads, however. Which is why I never visit at all.

I have watched since the early AMC days, I used to find the show amusing though it's all gone to the heads of most who appear on there now. Only last week JC was insulting his viewers, charming guy.

That's kind of the issue. Many fans look to these particular podcasts and YouTube discussions as the holy gospel. Where in reality it's just a bunch of dudes shooting the shit about movies. It would be no different if several of us in this thread read some articles and then recorded our thoughts on them.

That's kind of the issue. Many fans look to these particular podcasts and YouTube discussions as the holy gospel. Where in reality it's just a bunch of dudes shooting the shit about movies. It would be no different if several of us in this thread read some articles and then recorded our thoughts on them.

@Seven_Point_Six_Five, absolutely. I have my short list of favorite commentators, but there's a vast majority out there that are just as you say, glorified movie fans with nothing really insightful to say. Campea hires varying levels of attractive women to surround him to appeal to a starving demographic, and then spouts whatever movie gospel he thinks is click-bait worthy to them while they're there, as he's doing here.

I watch so many shows and read so many news pages (littered with spelling and structure errors) online and often think to myself, "I could do these peoples' jobs!" Campea and his cronies are some of those people. They represent where we're at in regards to movie criticism and the film industry itself right now, where the truly eloquent commentators like Ebert was who have actual knowledge and salient arguments to make are drowned out by those who say a lot without ever really saying anything.

Part of the reason why I've started writing so much movie criticism is probably because at some subconscious level, my mind is rebelling at the likes of Campea and co. who make commentators/writers look bad.
  • Yep, he did the same thing with the Wonder Woman news, pushing Jaimie Alexander too hard and being very dismissive of Gal. You don't go to Collider for clear heads, however. Which is why I never visit at all.

@Seven_Point_Six_Five, absolutely. I have my short list of favorite commentators, but there's a vast majority out there that are just as you say, glorified movie fans with nothing really insightful to say. Campea hires varying levels of attractive women to surround him to appeal to a starving demographic, and then spouts whatever movie gospel he thinks is click-bait worthy to them while they're there, as he's doing here.

I watch so many shows and read so many news pages (littered with spelling and structure errors) online and often think to myself, "I could do these peoples' jobs!" Campea and his cronies are some of those people. They represent where we're at in regards to movie criticism and the film industry itself right now, where the truly eloquent commentators like Ebert was who have actual knowledge and salient arguments to make are drowned out by those who say a lot without ever really saying anything.

Part of the reason why I've started writing so much movie criticism is probably because at some subconscious level, my mind is rebelling at the likes of Campea and co. who make commentators/writers look bad.

I've heard somebody once say that film criticism died with Roger Ebert, and I unfortunately have to say that's true. I feel like any kind of two bit shmuck with Internet thinks he can be a film critic because they did a review on YouTube or whatever. People also bandwagon as well, nobody really has their own opinions when it comes to movies it seems.

There was another test screening for Wonder Woman earlier tonight. People are already breaking their NDA and spreading spoilers. Just a heads up.
    Fantastic. For those that would be tempted to post tweets and reactions here, could we avoid that? I'd like to go into this film as blind as possible, and won't be watching any more trailers of the sort until July.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Fantastic. For those that would be tempted to post tweets and reactions here, could we avoid that? I'd like to go into this film as blind as possible, and won't be watching any more trailers of the sort until July.

+1

Please let this be one of the few places where any of the good stuff in the DCEU can be discussed without anything being ruined.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, precisely. JL I don't really care for, but I really want to give WW a big shot, and I want to be surprised and taken by it if it truly is what it should be. I can't do that if people spam spoilers from a screening. The sad thing about this internet connected world is that it's going to be near impossible to avoid hearing about the reports from these NDA criminals.
    Meanwhile at Craked (take that with a bit of salt) :

cracked.com/blog/how-dc-comics-making-directors-hate-filmmaking/
  • @CraigMooreOHMSS, precisely. JL I don't really care for, but I really want to give WW a big shot, and I want to be surprised and taken by it if it truly is what it should be. I can't do that if people spam spoilers from a screening. The sad thing about this internet connected world is that it's going to be near impossible to avoid hearing about the reports from these NDA criminals.

Me too. Zero interest in JL. Hopeful for WW, perhaps against my better judgment.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    doubleoego wrote: »

Affleck as Batman was the best part of the BVS movie but WB doesn't want Affleck in the role anymore?

There's no way they're THAT stupid.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm kinda bummed that Aquaman isn't starring Vinny Chase and isnt directed by James Cameron.
    I think the trailer will either come along with screenings of Wonder Woman on release, or they'll wait to show it at Comic-Con to really give it a stage. If it's not either of those options, especially the latter, they're nuts.

From reactions I'm seeing online, people seem overly excited about all this, whereas I know many of us here are reluctant and cautious. We'll have to see what Snyder has done, and if he's learned his lessons. A full trailer will be the first glimpse we can get to see if he has.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    They briefly mention in the article it makes sense not to steal the lime light from WW, I forgot JL was being released so late in the year. Ill watch the first trailer of JL and leave it at that, something I am getting good at I never watch TV spots at all now.