DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2017 Posts: 11,139
    So Reeves is officially directing the batman and it's announced there's going to be a Nightwing movie? WB/DCEU take your time, folks. No need to rush. They're just chucking everything into development with no real planning. All i can say is i hope this all works out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Nightwing? How boring.
  • Come on, Thunderwinger, Nightwing is a pretty cool character in his own right and hasn't been featured on film before. Done right, this could be a breath of fresh air for DC. There's quite a bit of rich material to explore in what went foul between Dick and Bruce and how that has shaped Dick's future.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dick was probably a little pissed that his surrogate father was out murdering people nightly.
  • Dick was probably a little pissed that his surrogate father was out murdering people nightly.

There you go, DC! Mine it!

Dick: "You said this wasn't about killing people!"

Bruce: "I said a lot of things. I said I was going to direct The Batman. I said Batman Vs. Superman was going to be good. You can't trust me, Dick. Now if you'll excuse me I have to clean somebody off the Batmobile."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, they could really push that idea, though. Have a scene where Dick calls Bruce out.

Dick: "You said you had rules for a reason, Bruce. What happened?"

Bruce: "Jason happened. You may've been the first, but you weren't the last."
  • There are honestly so many things DC can do with the long, long comics history of Batman that they have enough material to last them 50 years and then some. They have no excuse not to be putting amazing Batman stories on film.

(Contrast that with James Bond's twelve books and two short story collections and I'd say Bond hasn't been doing too shabby by comparison.)
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, true, but I think it's been harder with the dire creative team we have working with these characters.

Speaking on only Batman, the idea to explore a jaded, post-glory days Bruce is interesting, but the execution has been bad. Instead of showing us intensely why he'd changed, they just showed him killing for the visual action of it, leaving the message and his (apparent) redemption somewhere at the end of the film very hollow. When the movie ends, I don't feel like Bruce is back, or that he understands the effect of what he's done to people. I thought he was a monster.

By having a Bruce way past it, it's also harder to tell comics stories where he's facing his enemies, as they'd be older too, and he'd know all their moves after decades of facing them. It's rather boring, really, unless the films strive to explore how Batman's dynamic with his enemies has changed over time.

We never got to have Batman films where he's earnestly facing baddies in comic book fashion (ie., in a comic book universe), and now for the next decade or so, we're stuck with this interpretation of the character that really doesn't excite. Even when crippled by portraying a more grounded set of films, Nolan was able to capture the essence of Batman better than any movies before or sense, while Burton has yet to be matched when it comes to realizing a gothic Gotham.

If we got movies that contained the principles and spirit of Nolan's stamp on the character (who he is and why he fights) mixed with Burton's eerie skylines and "world," we'd be in for a treat. I want to see Batman movies adapting his fight in the desert with Ra's, or his conflicts with the likes of Two-Face, Riddler, Scarecrow, Catwoman, etc, but told right.

I'm just not hopeful we'll be getting that. By throwing Batman in with the other DC heroes, the character's style has kind of been cramped. It's never made sense why he takes so much time away from Gotham to fight intergalactic war with immortals, when one hit from any enemy could kill him. I think past Batman films have been right to keep him on his own in his own universe, with no appearances by other heroes, as if they didn't exist. We just need a series of Batman films, and nothing else. I think that's the best shot we have of getting anything that even touches Nolan.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Well I'm glad Reeves is back, mainly because it means the ball is rolling again. I now assume the main reason he "backed out" was because he and his team were playing hardball with WB. Hopefully that's all there was to it.

The only thing that still has me concerned is Affleck's role in the long run. Does he want to stick around beyond the solo film? Does the announcement of a Nightwing film mean WB is prepping for his departure? I think it is reasonable to still have these concerns.

Regardless, as it stands now, I'm more interested in a Nightwing movie than an actual Batman film. I want to see the Bat Family properly expanded.
    Do we actually know Reeves is back, or is this just another rumor people are quick to treat as fact?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Do we actually know Reeves is back, or is this just another rumor people are quick to treat as fact?

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/matt-reeves-direct-and-produce-batman
  • @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, true, but I think it's been harder with the dire creative team we have working with these characters.

Speaking on only Batman, the idea to explore a jaded, post-glory days Bruce is interesting, but the execution has been bad. Instead of showing us intensely why he'd changed, they just showed him killing for the visual action of it, leaving the message and his (apparent) redemption somewhere at the end of the film very hollow. When the movie ends, I don't feel like Bruce is back, or that he understands the effect of what he's done to people. I thought he was a monster.

By having a Bruce way past it, it's also harder to tell comics stories where he's facing his enemies, as they'd be older too, and he'd know all their moves after decades of facing them. It's rather boring, really, unless the films strive to explore how Batman's dynamic with his enemies has changed over time.

We never got to have Batman films where he's earnestly facing baddies in comic book fashion (ie., in a comic book universe), and now for the next decade or so, we're stuck with this interpretation of the character that really doesn't excite. Even when crippled by portraying a more grounded set of films, Nolan was able to capture the essence of Batman better than any movies before or sense, while Burton has yet to be matched when it comes to realizing a gothic Gotham.

Agreed. Batman Vs. Superman jumped the gun past many potential Batman stories. I like the idea of an older Bruce (Batman Beyond did a phenomenal job with the concept), but my reaction to BvS was similar to how I felt about Skyfall—just left wondering what happened to Batman/Bond in his prime. I'm going to be watching the extended cut of BvS soon. Hopefully it will prove an improvement, but it might just be a longer version of the same.
    If we got movies that contained the principles and spirit of Nolan's stamp on the character (who he is and why he fights) mixed with Burton's eerie skylines and "world," we'd be in for a treat. I want to see Batman movies adapting his fight in the desert with Ra's, or his conflicts with the likes of Two-Face, Riddler, Scarecrow, Catwoman, etc, but told right.

I'm just not hopeful we'll be getting that. By throwing Batman in with the other DC heroes, the character's style has kind of been cramped. It's never made sense why he takes so much time away from Gotham to fight intergalactic war with immortals, when one hit from any enemy could kill him. I think past Batman films have been right to keep him on his own in his own universe, with no appearances by other heroes, as if they didn't exist. We just need a series of Batman films, and nothing else. I think that's the best shot we have of getting anything that even touches Nolan.

I'm not a huge fan of the Justice League concept in general. Batman and Superman are by far the two most interesting characters and they do best in my opinion as the stars of their own stories—or occasionally confronting each other Supermano-a-Batmano. But DC is racing to catch up to Marvel now that Marvel's been celebrating its victory lap for a few years already. They're going about it the wrong way though. DC doesn't have to compete against Marvel by playing Marvel's game. They should, as you suggest, be focusing on developing really great stories for Batman and Superman individually. Do more Nolan/Burton style Batman films, not Marvel-lite (dark?) team movies that carve out little slices of the pie for everyone and wind up getting major facets of major characters majorly wrong.
    The thing I am worried about the most, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, is that in their attempt to course-correct and make the films lighter, they're making Batman a part of the comedic bits. He should always be the stone-faced straight man, and I don't like what I'm hearing and seeing, where he gets in on moments of frivolity. The meeting he had with Flash in the JL trailer was cringe-inducing for that reason.
  • The thing I am worried about the most, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero, is that in their attempt to course-correct and make the films lighter, they're making Batman a part of the comedic bits. He should always be the stone-faced straight man, and I don't like what I'm hearing and seeing, where he gets in on moments of frivolity. The meeting he had with Flash in the JL trailer was cringe-inducing for that reason.

I saw the four minute preview, which did seem to be going more for the comedy, and it didn't leave me feeling very hopeful. Just the opposite exact. I agree that any humor having to do with Batman should come out of situational humor playing off of how stone-faced he is. I feel like Affleck pretty much played his Bats that way in BvS, but I'll have to see for sure when I watch it again.
    WB seem to think that the darkness of the films was what made them miss with audiences, but I think the clear failure were the characters. If they'd fix that, the more serious tone would be welcomed.
  • Yes, and you can have a "dark" film that still offers adventure and action and romance and humor and wonderfully developed characters and a compelling story. Remember when Batman Begins was "dark?"
    WB seem to think that the darkness of the films was what made them miss with audiences

It was an issue! At least it was for the average movie-goer.
    but I think the clear failure were the characters

As do I, but that's only issue for those of us who actually know the characters.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Seven_Point_Six_Five, if the film being "dark" was a problem for most audiences, I think that's laughable. That film was not dark at all. Just a bunch of loud images, lacking the meaning that would make those moments truly dark. It's like a monster movie that shows a beast destroying a city, but you never see the people being harmed. A lot of flashiness, no real impact.

The opening in Metropolis had that and it was beautiful, but that's also where the movie peaked.

• They discuss dark\tone in this hilarious video, anyone who has watched Collider will appreciate this
    This really is becoming the batman universe.
    Was there any doubt that it wouldn't be? From the moment he got tossed into a Superman film, Warner showed their hand.
    Was there any doubt that it wouldn't be? From the moment he got tossed into a Superman film, Warner showed their hand.

Very true. I guess a part of me always knew I suppose; but I had hoped the DCEU really were going to make a serious effort in being an actual DCEU where we get to see a plethora of all these amazing characters; but true to form there's all this talk about films of certain characters being developed, then something goes wrong and we here nothing. Meanwhile everything batman related gets either made, fast tracked and secures directors. I love batman and his mythology but this is a crying shame for other DC characters that deserve some much needed recognition and spotlight. All things Batman will forever be cemented as DC's cinematic crutch.
    @doubleoego, Batman is their crutch for everything. Movies, TV, games, comics, he's always the best of the best in every category, and he's the one they lean on most. It works out well for someone like me who got into comics because of my love for Batman, on top of him being my favorite hero. So all this proliferation of Batman is hard to complain about, until situations like this come up where his character is getting a bit botched.

There's the glorious years, like the run of the animated series, and the release of the Nolan films and Rocksteady games, but in between there's the Batman & Robin-esque screw-ups too, and that's the period we've hit on now.

I don't think the Batman brand is tarnished, though. Affleck was written as the surprise of BvS, especially after the backlash, and I'm sure that if you asked people on the street what films they were excited to see from DC and Warner, they'd not recognize any of the other heroes and instantly hit on Batman. He's just one of those characters that transcends everything.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I think it's just a huge shame that many of the other DC characters don't get a decent push to be brought to the forefront. WB/DC are fortunate to own the whole stable but they limit themselves way too much and especially moreso when they've set out to create an actual DC cinematic universe. It still rattles me somewhat that Guardians of the Galaxy, a property that was floating around the hallways of obscurity is now not only an A-list property but arguably maybe the biggest comicbook movie of this year; and that's with JL coming out this year also. Planning, effort, belief and conviction are powerful tools that the DCEU are lacking, which is a shame as they're doing a fantastic job in more or less in every other medium.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    16939706_1351123114947831_3979264509296943777_n.png?oh=0abc0b48eef19ed4b24be891b2818dad&oe=5943A7C3

Tweet from Batfleck

Ben is obviously leaving *sarcasm*
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited February 2017 Posts: 299
    I think he's a solid choice, he did a really good job with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and clearly understood that series' strengths. Would've preferred Affleck to direct but I'll take Reeves.
  • Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was a well shot film rate Reeves highly, I loved the tone of the film due a rewatch. Looking forward to War of the Planet of the Apes, Apes films one of my favouraite film series.
    I think one film Reeves did (that remake) had horror elements to it, so I'd love to see how he'd shoot a predator scene with Batman taking out some goons from the darkness. The bits we got in BvS where my favorite things about that film. Batman freaking terrified me.
  • That scene in BvS when Bats was hiding in the corner of the ceiling was awesome
    That scene in BvS when Bats was hiding in the corner of the ceiling was awesome

My favorite bit was at the beginning where one of the sex slaves called him a "demon," following shortly by a man yelling from the floor above. I got tingles up my spine. I don't like this Batman, but I will concede I have never been more scared of his power on the big screen.