DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @fire_and_ice, I'll only be watching this first trailer too. I hope the marketing isn't as abysmal as it was for BvS, where three trailers literally showed us every reveal or big moment of the film.

I think part of why that film has never rubbed me the right way was because I never even had the chance to enjoy it. Before the release we saw most of the fight between Batman and Superman, we knew Doomsday was coming and how he was created, saw Superman's "False God" arc, Batman's nightmare/apocalyptic vision and they even showed us most of the only moment in the film that impressed me, which was the warehouse scene (except that they cut out all the lethal Batman moments to hide just who he was in the film). By the time that I'd seen the movie in theaters, I'd seen almost everything that was worth keeping hidden in those three trailers, and there were very little surprises left, and none I actually liked.

The marketing for JL has to be more low-key, and they can't show us the entire film again. The problem is that because BvS left such a bad legacy, WB will probably feel the need to show us as much as possible to get us to go see it, and that will continue the oversharing that BvS started and put them on another track to low returns. I hope they've learned not to do that anymore.

When they spent this many millions on a film, the last thing they need is to waste even more on over-marketing.
  • The trailers for BvS were terrible in conception, prior to the film I convinced myself there must be a forth act as so much had been shown of the third act. Alas it may happen again as there is so much emphasis on opening weekends, so studios sweeten the carrot as much as possible to get people through the door. Alas if the film is not great and word of mouth says most of the film is in the trailer, that contributes to a big drop in ticket sales.

Personally it's a high volume of films I never bother with if a trailer pretty much tells me what is going on, I try to watch films knowing as little as possible these days I learnt my lesson.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I hope that at the very least they keep Superman's appearance in the marketing to a minimum. He's dead at the start of the feature, and I want to be surprised (for better or worse) to see just what they're doing to resurrect him and inject him back into the narrative. I don't want to see him battling creatures with the team, or so much as get a glimpse of him in a reenergizing black suit.

His involvement and function should be kept as understated and mysterious as possible. I'd also hope that the movie would explore a world without Superman, and what effect his death has had, beyond showing us a t-shirt like Suicide Squad did. If the script puts in the work to show us his impact and legacy, it'll mean all the more when he returns, and hopefully becomes the Man of Steel we expect.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 533
    Blah, blah, blah, yawn, yawn, yawn. You're sick of me, I you. Great company we make.

I rather not keep company with you, thank you very much.

I only hope that Marvel can regain my respect for them with their 2017 output. Because unlike the DCEU movies of 2016, I felt really disappointed with "Captain America: Civil War" (aka Avengers 3.0 or Iron Man 4.0) or whatever the hell it was and "Doctor Strange".
  • They should do what Force Awakens did with Luke and show nothing at all of Superman, that in itself will cause intrigue and a buzz. They should market JL as if Superman was not even in the film, as everyone knows he will appear at some point it won't be a issue.
    They should do what Force Awakens did with Luke and show nothing at all of Superman, that in itself will cause intrigue and a buzz. They should market JL as if Superman was not even in the film, as everyone knows he will appear at some point it won't be a issue.

That's exactly my thinking. It'll help to get the suspense of his return going, and hopefully the payoff we get in the film will be worth it. I just think it'd be a miracle if WB's marketing team went through with the idea.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    tja2yk7uizgy.jpg

C5HJ8YnWQAApQ5n.jpg:large

giphy.gif
    I was hesitant and doubtful at the start, but it's true: that is Wonder Woman.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Gadot is like Craig for me. I too thought they were off their rocker when she was cast, but when I saw her in the outfit, I realized they'd made the right call. It's been a long time coming, this one.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    doubleoego wrote: »
    tja2yk7uizgy.jpg

C5HJ8YnWQAApQ5n.jpg:large

giphy.gif

Ugh. I'm in love.
    @doubleoego, @CraigMooreOHMSS, forget it. To her, we are but mortal men. She'd break us. ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    @doubleoego, @CraigMooreOHMSS, forget it. To her, we are but mortal men. She'd break us. ;)

So was Steve Trevor, my friend ;)

So was Steve Trevor, my friend ;)

You've got me there (she also has Batman, as well, in some continuities). Maybe there's hope for us yet.
  • That's a great cover simple and to the point, even if WW is not great I know Gadot will be great. :x
    Yes, I like the sunset-esque kind of colors that've been used in the movie's marketing. Very striking, as if to say, "She's arrived."
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    'Now the World is ready for you' I think that's a lyric from the TV show theme song
    'Now the World is ready for you' I think that's a lyric from the TV show theme song

@fire_and_ice, I also think that it's a line and blessing Diana's mother will tell her at the end of the film, when she realizes that she's meant to be the protector of "man's" world.
  • DC like there Easter Eggs, I think Connie Neilson is good casting, will give emotional depth to Hippolyta
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,257
    Interesting interview with the VFX supervisors who are working on JL:

And here is a neat video highlighting the VFX from BvS:

A talented team, but boy. That second video makes it seem like only 5% of the film wasn't done with green screen, and all the rest used a computer. That's a real shame, and we're so advanced in our technological capabilities that we can't even tell when something is CGI or not.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ...which is excellent news for film making.
    ...which is excellent news for film making.

For being able to fool us, yes, but for their production budgets? Yikes.
    This advanced cgi is great for the movies, but I am certain it will be misused by political factions.
    Like in propaganda films that depict the resurrection of Hitler, who is really just a realistic looking CGI model?
    Not quite, but what a grand idea.
    They could do a full-color sequel to Chaplin's film and call it The Greatest Dictator.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Reports suggesting... http://comicbook.com/2017/02/22/temuera-morrison-nicole-kidman-cast-in-aquaman/

16832409_1350244165035726_8426735033817768851_n.png?oh=87098986c7158f32a186589f851b1549&oe=59253647

Aquaman appears to be going swimmingly
  • Risico007 wrote: »

Good news fu to a so called movie news outlet

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,490
    I'm all for CGI that extends large crowds/huge backgrounds and locales, but when it starts getting injected so heavily into action sequences, I simply tune right out and lose all interest. I wish it wasn't the case, but maybe we will get to a point in the next few decades where CGI is literally indistinguishable from real sets/people.

As for Reeves officially signing on to direct and produce, I can only comment on two of his films I've seen: 'Cloverfield,' which was better in the marketing phase and a totally different beast than this, and 'Let Me In,' which I remember enjoying a good bit, but it wasn't as excellent as the original. People seem to love those new 'Planet of the Apes' movies, so I guess there's a bit of logic to them hiring him out of countless other choices.

EDIT: A 'Nightwing' movie is in development, with Chris McKay in talks to direct:

http://www.slashfilm.com/nightwing-movie/