DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Saw Joker the other night and have to say I was slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a great film. Really well put together and brilliantly acted. And by comic book film standards it was probably amazing. But with all the hype of it being a real masterpiece I guess I expected it to break more new ground than it actually did. I read one review comparing it to what Nolan did with Batman but for me it was nowhere near that level. The Nolan films changed the landscape of blockbusters by kickstarting the dark/gritty reboot trend. Joker on the other hand was essentially just Taxi Driver with Batman characters. It was good, really good. But not the groundbreaking masterpiece some have said it was imo.

They should stick with this way of doing things though. Interesting standalone movies that actually have something to say. A nice counterpoint to the boring Disney create a big shared universe and milk it dry approach.

I felt the same way - Phoenix's performance was outstanding and the film looked great - happy to see Todd Phillips making a strong foray into a new genre - but it didn't really wow me overall, nor would I come close to calling it a "masterpiece" like I've seen echoed elsewhere.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t even think Phoenix was that good, so the high praise is just kind of eluding me. Weird body contouring and interpretive dancing doesn’t really scream Oscar for me.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Saw Joker the other night and have to say I was slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a great film. Really well put together and brilliantly acted. And by comic book film standards it was probably amazing. But with all the hype of it being a real masterpiece I guess I expected it to break more new ground than it actually did. I read one review comparing it to what Nolan did with Batman but for me it was nowhere near that level. The Nolan films changed the landscape of blockbusters by kickstarting the dark/gritty reboot trend. Joker on the other hand was essentially just Taxi Driver with Batman characters. It was good, really good. But not the groundbreaking masterpiece some have said it was imo.

They should stick with this way of doing things though. Interesting standalone movies that actually have something to say. A nice counterpoint to the boring Disney create a big shared universe and milk it dry approach.

I felt the same way - Phoenix's performance was outstanding and the film looked great - happy to see Todd Phillips making a strong foray into a new genre - but it didn't really wow me overall, nor would I come close to calling it a "masterpiece" like I've seen echoed elsewhere.

Yeah, definitely a bit overhyped I think. Credit where it's due for making the film in the first place though. Surprised that they went so adult with what's essentially their biggest brand. I know Batman isn't actually in it, but still, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who've caught the trailers on youtube and want to see it but won't be able to go to the cinema because it's a 15. Risky move that I couldn't see Marvel or Star Wars or any other big franchise like this taking. Fair play to them.
    edited October 2019 Posts: 40,447
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah, definitely a bit overhyped I think. Credit where it's due for making the film in the first place though. Surprised that they went so adult with what's essentially their biggest brand. I know Batman isn't actually in it, but still, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who've caught the trailers on youtube and want to see it but won't be able to go to the cinema because it's a 15. Risky move that I couldn't see Marvel or Star Wars or any other big franchise like this taking. Fair play to them.

Kudos to them, indeed. Seems the R-rating didn't hurt them too much, considering how much it's garnered in just two or so weeks. For a rather slow-paced origin story, it seems to have made much more than I would've initially expected, though I know there's always been a lot of fan love and admiration for the character, so perhaps it's not so much of a surprise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm kinda glad...

Me too. I like Jonah Hill but I don’t think he was a good fit for the Riddler or Penguin.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think a fun DC character he could play is Toyman, especially the more creepy version in Bruce Timm's Superman The Animated Series.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Condiment King would have been a perfect role for him.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is shaping up nicely.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Robert Pattinson
    Zoe Kravitz
    Jeffrey Wright
    Paul Dano

I’ve already got my tickets... in my mind :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Denbigh wrote: »

I’ve already got my tickets... in my mind :D

Try telling that to the counter clerk.
    Paul Dano as Riddler is my favorite casting I’ve heard so far - inspired! I read something about Mad Hatter possibly being in the film. I really hope they get a good actor and incorporate him, because he’s one of my favorite Batman villains. Sad he hasn’t gotten to be in any movies yet - not even animated ones!
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Great choice. He never even crossed my mind when fancasting comic book roles.
    Paul Dano is one fantastic actor, will be interested to see how he manages the role. This is likely one of the only proper superhero films of late I'll bother to watch, always been a Batman fan.

As for Jonah Hill, I'm glad he passed on the role. I don't see him fitting well in the universe at all, but I guess we'll never know.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Dwayne Johnson confirms Black Adam is aiming to start production in July 2020.

https://hnentertainment.co/latest-targeted-black-adam-production-start-is-july-according-to-dwayne-johnson/
    ‘The Batman’ Lands ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ Composer Michael Giacchino:

https://collider.com/the-batman-lands-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-composer-michael-giacchino/
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    ‘The Batman’ Lands ‘War for the Planet of the Apes’ Composer Michael Giacchino:

https://collider.com/the-batman-lands-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-composer-michael-giacchino/
    I don't think I could think of anyone better
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Brilliant. I also can't wait to see Greig Fraser's cinematography. Rogue One was beautiful.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This project is shaping up nicely.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Also, Oliver Benson is an assistant art director on the film and he worked on Skyfall.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    The new Batman film has missed a serious trick. I like Jeffrey Wright as an actor for sure... but Commissioner Gordon? That should have been TOM SELLECK.

AND YOU KNOW IT.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    This project is shaping up nicely.
    Couldn´t have put it better. Just when I thought I´m through with Batman films. I´m really curious what Giacchino will bring to the film. I´m well acquainted with a lot of his work, but can´t think of anything as sinister as Batman. M:I3 might perhaps go somehow in that direction. But not really.

BondStu wrote: »
    The new Batman film has missed a serious trick. I like Jeffrey Wright as an actor for sure... but Commissioner Gordon? That should have been TOM SELLECK.

AND YOU KNOW IT.
    Haha! Can´t argue with that!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First trailer for Wonder Woman 1984 arriving on December 8th.

Are you sure? ;) :))
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Are you sure? ;) :))

image-asset.gif

;)
    Between Wonderwoman 1984 and No Time to Die I am wondering which trailer I am more pumped for
    edited October 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Joker now sits at $850 million world wide. Everything points to this film joining The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Aquaman as the 4th DC film to enter the $1 billion club.

This would make it the 8th superhero related film in the last 2 years to cross the $1 billion milestone.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I was under the impression, @DaltonCraig007, that Joker is still sitting on 750 million rather than 850.