DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Gal Gadot, Ben Affleck, Zack Snyder Support ‘Snyder Cut’ Release of ‘Justice League’
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/film/news/justice-league-snyder-cut-gal-gadot-ben-affleck-zack-snyder-1203407577/amp/

At this point, there'd be no reason not to.

I would certainly buy it, there appears to be more of a potential cut than first thought.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm truly pleased for Joker. It shows that > 1 billion dollars isn't just for CGI heavy actioners, happy-family-feel-good superhero films or Disney animated stuff. A quiet, delicate, offensive (to some) experiment like this can have the desired effect too. Plus, it may encourage DC/WB to try more of these "elseworlds" things, besides their JLA output.

Only downside for the bean counters at WB will be that they'll have a hard time claiming to their employees that they didn't make money off of this because they spent too much.

Gal Gadot, Ben Affleck, Zack Snyder Support ‘Snyder Cut’ Release of ‘Justice League’
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/film/news/justice-league-snyder-cut-gal-gadot-ben-affleck-zack-snyder-1203407577/amp/

At this point, there'd be no reason not to.

I would certainly buy it, there appears to be more of a potential cut than first thought.

With all the clamoring for the Snyder Cut, it would be quite embarrassing if it turned out to be an even bigger mess than the theatrical cut. By all accounts, it seems it was a very compromised film from the start because everybody had to rethink things on such short notice after the backlash of BVS. So for all the talk about "Snyder's vision", we'll never truly get it unfiltered the way BVS was.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RE Joker:

Fascinating, isn't it, that BATMAN, THE DARK KNIGHT and JOKER were big hits and all had the Joker in them, whereas SUICIDE SQUAD took some beating, primarily over the Joker being given so little to do and being either underdeveloped or "incorrectly" developed. I honestly feel sorry for Jared Leto.

RE JL:

I always welcome a longer Snyder cut but I agree with @MakeshiftPython that such a cut may simply not exist.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Joker 2 is happening, with Todd Phillips & Joaquin Phoenix, obviously, returning as the writer/director and lead actor, respectively.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-sequel-works-as-todd-phillips-eyes-more-dc-origin-movies-1256255

Phillips will also work on another DC villain solo film, alongside his Joker sequel. Lex Luthor? The Penguin? Mr Freeze?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Joker 2 is happening, with Todd Phillips & Joaquin Phoenix, obviously, returning as the writer/director and lead actor, respectively.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-sequel-works-as-todd-phillips-eyes-more-dc-origin-movies-1256255

Phillips will also work on another DC villain solo film, alongside his Joker sequel. Lex Luthor? The Penguin? Mr Freeze?

How about Mudface?

How about Mudface?

You mean Clayface?
    Risico007 wrote: »

How about Mudface?

You mean Clayface?

Yes, him.
    Risico007 wrote: »

How about Mudface?

You mean Clayface?

Yes, him.

I always wanted him to be on the big screen at some point the original story of an actor going insane because they are trying to remake his classic film is really appropriate for the times
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Black Adam will introduce the Justice Society of America, according to Dwayne Johnson.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/22/dcs-black-adam-movie-will-introduce-the-justice-society-of-america-says-dwayne-johnson
    Hmm I don’t know how to feel about it essentially what we are dealing with is a fractured dc film franchise and yet we are going to introduce other teams now too?

Although the idea of say Val Kilmer coming back as Wild cat would be a nice in joke
    I don't think DC/WB are too worried at this point about a fractured series. They're obviously testing the waters, dropping what isn't working for them and building on what is. While that may not result in the same solid continuity that Marvel/Disney are sitting on right now, I believe this strategy will effectively result in higher highs (but possibly also lower lows) than the Avengers output.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    After JL blew up in their face, I get the distinct impression WB/DC aren’t too worried about maintaining an interconnected cinematic universe anymore.
    Minion wrote: »
    After JL blew up in their face, I get the distinct impression WB/DC aren’t too worried about maintaining an interconnected cinematic universe anymore.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say they dropped that altogether. Aquaman was pretty much treated as a standalone film with little ties to what came before. Matt Reeves' Batman film by all accounts seems to have zero connection with the DCEU. Patty Jenkins has been given free reign of Wonder Woman.

The real sad losses are Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck. I feel Cavill got the raw deal having to work under Zack Snyder's conception of a brooding Superman. The guy can be really fun and charismatic when given the right material, instead we got a guy who comes off as if saving the world is more of a burden than a gift.

I don't blame Affleck for leaving. He already had a string of critical bombs over a decade ago that he successfully recovered from by doing more critically lauded work like THE TOWN and ARGO, and doesn't want to potentially tarnish that with critical duds. I wish he had stuck to his standalone film that he would have written and directed, but this is his career so he's earned the right to be picky.
    Another great choice.
    The cast for this film is just insane.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The cast for this film is just insane.

Casting wise, it seems like a 4 way fight between

- Matt Reeves' The Batman: Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz, Andy Serkis, Paul Dano, Colin Farrell, Jeffrey Wright, John Turtorro & Jayme Lawson.
    - Denis Villeneuve's Dune: Rebecca Ferguson, Timothée Chalamet, Jason Momoa, Zendaya, Dave Bautista, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgard, Oscar Isaac, Javer Bardem, Charlotte Rampling & David Dastmalchian.
    - Guillermo Del Toro's Nightmare Alley: Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Bradley Cooper, Willem Dafoe, Rooney Mara, Holt McCallany, Ron Perlman, David Strathairn & Richard Jenkins.
    - Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch: Timothée Chalamet, Lea Seydoux, Alex Lawther, Elisabeth Moss, Saoirse Ronan, Kate Winslet, Willem Dafoe, Tilda Swinton, Benicio Del Toro, Bill Murray, Christoph Waltz, Adrian Brody, Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman, Denis Menochet, Bob Balaban, Rupert Friend, Jeffrey Wright, Frances McDormand, Henry Winkler, Fisher Stevens & Mathieu Amalric.
    Minion wrote: »

Yeah, I think it's safe to say they dropped that altogether. Aquaman was pretty much treated as a standalone film with little ties to what came before. Matt Reeves' Batman film by all accounts seems to have zero connection with the DCEU. Patty Jenkins has been given free reign of Wonder Woman.

The real sad losses are Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck. I feel Cavill got the raw deal having to work under Zack Snyder's conception of a brooding Superman. The guy can be really fun and charismatic when given the right material, instead we got a guy who comes off as if saving the world is more of a burden than a gift.

I don't blame Affleck for leaving. He already had a string of critical bombs over a decade ago that he successfully recovered from by doing more critically lauded work like THE TOWN and ARGO, and doesn't want to potentially tarnish that with critical duds. I wish he had stuck to his standalone film that he would have written and directed, but this is his career so he's earned the right to be picky.

On Monday (because I am inbetween jobs sadly) I plan on watch BVS I will say it’s a shame Affleck didnt do his solo film and weird that he was my favorite live action Batman in spite of never getting a solo film (though he did take on more villains through out his films then say Keaton as he took on Joker, Harly Quinn, Deadshot and KGBeast)

I hear Affleck’s story was brilliant but WB got scared because there wasn’t enough action... one day my guess is it will be done as a comic book hopefully (speaking of which weren’t we going to get Schumacher’s third film as a comic book there were rumors of that a year or so ago)

I just feel with the 2 Adam west cartoons WB should be more willing to experiment and give us Keaton’s third film as animated feature and hell I would take Affleck’s film as a comic book
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Seems the Snyder Cut is happening.

https://cosmicbook.news/release-snyder-cut-hbo-max
    Cavill seems to get other raw deals as well. IMO he stands out like a sore thumb in M:I Fallout, especially given the descriptions of him that appear in the dialogue. And yet, I watched a bit of UNCLE the other day, and while I don´t think the film is a masterpiece, Cavill carried his role really well, much better than Walker in M:I.

I wonder who paid for Snyder finishing his version?

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Great stuff looking forward to seeing a film closer to Snyders vision, though I don't discount the possibility this could be underwhelming, fingers crossed its good and there is the semblance of a complete film.

The theatrical version of Justice League is not the sequel to BvS I wanted.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    I'm looking foward to it. The Whedon cut completely killed my interest in the DC Universe, so it will be a challenge to bring me back.
    First of they need to fix mustache gate, otherwise don't bother.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Zack Snyder releases an image of Willem Dafoe from Justice League:

kcn51lc053141.jpg
  • RC7RC7

I’ve just been at a screening/Q&A with Todd Phillips, he stated that he isn’t doing a sequel. However, he also said that a well known director did sell him on the idea he’s only made the 1st act, so perhaps he will go back there...

kcn51lc053141.jpg

oooooh what could have been?!!!!

kcn51lc053141.jpg

I will be happy to see all unreleased footage in whatever form it takes
    Should be interesting. I definitely want to see the Snyder Cut. I thought the later released cut of BvS helped the film tremendously and even SS took some benefit from its somewhat expanded cut. All things considered, I am a fan of these films; I think they're quite good. Not perfect, but good. And for me as a DC fan, certainly good enough for some enjoyable moments. So anything they throw at me that I haven't seen yet, I'll certainly consider watching it.
    It'll be interesting to see the Snyder footage of Cavill. Aside from some of the bad CGI lips, I thought Whedon's direction of Henry Cavill's performance was FAR closer to how I want my Superman. I didn't like how in Man of Steel and BvS Snyder depicted Superman as too god damned mopey. I don't want to see a Superman who's feeling too burdened in his role as a savior, I want to see him actually invigorated by it! In the Whedon footage Superman finally came off as likable. And that's my issue with Snyder's handling of the characters: they're unlikable, and BvS positioned the characters in a no win situation where both Superman and Batman come off as a bunch of lunkheads who don't trust each other until its too late.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

kcn51lc053141.jpg

I will be happy to see all unreleased footage in whatever form it takes

Put into context...

Aquaman-Vulko-Trident-Snyder-Cut.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=798&h=407&dpr=1.5

Plus, Mera and Vulko...

9D7507D4-B53D-484B-AF30-68B3580C2E23.jpeg
    Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad to be rated R.

https://collider.com/birds-of-prey-suicide-squad-2-rated-r/