DC Comics Cinematic Universe (2013 - present)

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I don't watch DC films. Are they torn between trying to emulate Marvel's successful world building, and looking to maintain a darker style of their own, with stand alone films?
    NicNac wrote: »
    I don't watch DC films. Are they torn between trying to emulate Marvel's successful world building, and looking to maintain a darker style of their own, with stand alone films?

I don't watch that many super hero flicks, @NicNac, but to tell you the truth, I'm dying to see Joker. And you can't get any darker then that. But I get your point, they seem undecided.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It strikes me they hurried the world building initially, and now they are getting it together. Finally getting some decent reviews. I'm still not tempted by 95% of the Dc stuff, but I agree @Univex Joker looks intriguing. Might give that one a go.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Joker is set to beat the October opening record, set by Venom last year ($80 million), with an impressing $90 million + opening weekend.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I saw Joker Thursday night and Im still trying to find the words to describe how I feel about it.
  • BondStuBondStu Moonraker 6
    Joker is absolutely incredible. It's like A Clockwork Orange/Fight Club/Falling Down for the 21st Century. Brave film making with a terrific performance from Phoenix.

Comic book movie of the decade. Superb.
    BondStu wrote: »
    Joker is absolutely incredible. It's like A Clockwork Orange/Fight Club/Falling Down for the 21st Century. Brave film making with a terrific performance from Phoenix.

I’m really excited to see it! I was planning on going Sunday, but there is a local mass shooting threat in my area so I’m not taking any chances until later.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I’m really excited to see it! I was planning on going Sunday, but there is a local mass shooting threat in my area so I’m not taking any chances until later.

@FoxRox - Cause of this movie?

@BondStu Yes. I heard second-hand from people who work for the government that there were threats in my area. A lot of times these threats are hollow, but I don’t want to take that risk. It’s a sad time we live in to be afraid to just go out to the theater.
    @FoxRox -sorry you have to live with that :(

@BondStu Yes. I heard second-hand from people who work for the government that there were threats in my area. A lot of times these threats are hollow, but I don’t want to take that risk. It’s a sad time we live in to be afraid to just go out to the theater.

Take care FoxRox, can't be too careful nowadays. Post your thoughts once you have seen the movie?
    It seems my Clockwork Orange comparison extends to the real life impact of the movie too.
    @BondStu @RogueAgent

Thank you both; I definitely will post thoughts when I do see it. It’s one of my most-hyped films for this year. Joaquin Phoenix is such an excellent actor, and the Joker of course is an amazing character.

It is far less a comic book movie and more a man going seriously in a psychotic event, I am still not sure that this movie is about a villain in a comic book but a look into the mental health care around the world, which shows a serious disinterest in mental health care unless they can be blamed for something horrible. For me more of a disguise as a comic book villain while tackling another subject.

SaintMark wrote: »

It is far less a comic book movie and more a man going seriously in a psychotic event, I am still not sure that this movie is about a villain in a comic book but a look into the mental health care around the world, which shows a serious disinterest in mental health care unless they can be blamed for something horrible. For me more of a disguise as a comic book villain while tackling another subject.

@SaintMark - none of that stops it being a comic book movie. If anything it's a movie that expands the genre and shows it's capable of more.
    SaintMark wrote: »

@SaintMark - none of that stops it being a comic book movie. If anything it's a movie that expands the genre and shows it's capable of more.

I am not quite sure I am interested in such a variety, as one of it was okay, but I am not sure I want to watch a sequel to this.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I thought JOKER was terrible. Just a bunch of scenes of Phoenix contorting his body in a very shallow attempt to emulate Scorsese's movies, with every little "twist" I saw coming a mile away. It may also have the dumbest depiction of young Bruce watching his parents get murdered. Such a shame, because in a sense it is a fresh break from the usual CGI comic book extravaganza, but this is not the kind of movie I'd champion as a counterpoint. VENOM was pretty stupid too, but at least that could be fun to watch.
    Interesting to see how divisive Joker has been. For me it’s easily one of the best comic-book films of recent years. Actually felt meaningful and worthwhile for me. I’ll be seeing it many more times I’m sure.
    sigh I really don't want to see it as again I would prefer batman movies rather then films and tv shows about everyone but Batman....

but I hear good things...

Honestly I don't know...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2019 Posts: 23,378
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Denbigh wrote: »

She'll certainly look good in the outfit.
    I like it. I’m kinda surprised though. I remember hearing they wanted a “Zoe Kravitz type”. I assumed that meant she was eyed for the role but passed on it.

I still wish they’d have gone the route of Selina having a Cuban background though. That would mean the obvious choice for the role would be Ana De Armas.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have no doubt Zoe will be a good Catwoman, despite being a huge Batman fan my interest in this film(s) has been lukewarm, I don't see Pattinson as Bruce/Batman I hope I am won over and proven wrong
  • I was hoping for Vanessa Kirby myself, or maybe even someone like Jodie Comer. I haven't seen Zoe Kravitz in enough things to have a true opinion on it, so all I can really say is she does look the part. I wouldn't say I'm a huge Batman fan, but I am looking forward to this movie!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2019 Posts: 5,869
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I was hoping for Vanessa Kirby myself, or maybe even someone like Jodie Comer. I haven't seen Zoe Kravitz in enough things to have a true opinion on it, so all I can really say is she does look the part. I wouldn't say I'm a huge Batman fan, but I am looking forward to this movie!
    Both would have been great choices, but this just works for me. I think even without the Batman aspect, a film starring Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz and Jeffrey Wright, directed by Matt Reeves, is gonna get people to see this film :)
    Interesting I am fine with this
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't see Pattinson as Bruce/Batman I hope I am won over and proven wrong

My worries are purely about him in the costume. I can easily see him as Bruce Wayne, but whether he'll work as Batman is another story.
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,837
    Saw Joker the other night and have to say I was slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a great film. Really well put together and brilliantly acted. And by comic book film standards it was probably amazing. But with all the hype of it being a real masterpiece I guess I expected it to break more new ground than it actually did. I read one review comparing it to what Nolan did with Batman but for me it was nowhere near that level. The Nolan films changed the landscape of blockbusters by kickstarting the dark/gritty reboot trend. Joker on the other hand was essentially just Taxi Driver with Batman characters. It was good, really good. But not the groundbreaking masterpiece some have said it was imo.

They should stick with this way of doing things though. Interesting standalone movies that actually have something to say. A nice counterpoint to the boring Disney create a big shared universe and milk it dry approach.