Come on, guys! TND isn't all THAT bad.

Comments

BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't mind it but what if he accidently ran over a poor mother and her child returning from a trip to the shopping centre?

He didnt because he could see where he was going on the remote.Even when he drives the car off the roof he beeps the horn to warn people on the ground to get out of the way.

Regarding what someone else said about Bond having too much fun in this scene after losing the love of his life just minutes before....come on, your taking this too seriously.Its a BOND movie that is a lot of fun, not a Craig Bond movie where 007 pouts throughout the whole film.

TND is Brosnan's best film. That's not saying a lot, but it is significantly better than his other three.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Yeah we all know Bond films are meant to be fun. But they shouldn't be too cheesy. TND suffers from too much cheesiness. One of the reasons films like Die Hard 5 were mocked were because they were plain dumb - and had random action just to fill time. There was little CLASS to the film. The same could be said about TND (although I do prefer that to DH5).
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    What are you talking about? SF is heavily influenced by the novels YOLT (Bond getting out of shape and falling from grace, as well as disappearing), TMWTGG and to some extend MR. Generic? Bond's character is closer to Fleming than any of Brosnan movies.

Says you.

And I am very comfortable with what I said, as it is backed up by facts.

Indeed you have, dear @Ludovico and I agree with you in all you have said. Remind me of the MR novel links to SF? I've not seen it enough as yet! Was it Drax's Gambit and the tube scene, for instance or something else entirely?:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/kingsley-amis-draxs-gambit-and-reform.html

His background and his appearance: Drax was a Nazi passing as a Brit who was assuming the identity of a dead man, while Silva was believed to be dead and created his own identity. Both are motivated by revenge. Drax had burnt marks/scars on the lower side of his face that were only partially hidden with a hideous moustache and a bothced plastic surgery and he had bad teeth since childhood (he was biting his nails). Silva has a whole broken jaw and his face has been reconstructed after cyanid destroyed it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TND is a wonderful entry in the series. It has the right amount of action, humor and dramatic tension. Not as good as GoldenEye, but up there.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    TND is a wonderful entry in the series. It has the right amount of action, humor and dramatic tension. Not as good as GoldenEye, but up there.
    Thank you.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Thank you.

Most welcome. :)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Bought this today at a car boot sale for £2, and thought that @chrisisall might like it!

2i0dr28.jpg
    Bought this today at a car boot sale for £2, and thought that @chrisisall might like it!

2i0dr28.jpg
    VERY cool. I have the hard top TLD one.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    chrisisall wrote:

2i0dr28.jpg

That is actually a really good find there. I love the "battle scars" detail there!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well I'm watching TND at the moment as part of the films of Pierce Brosnan Bond-a-thon.
    Recently watched the Craig films, so with GE down, time for one of my (at least it used to be) favourite entries from Pierce.
    Will see how it stacks up this time.
    "It is a soundproof room, Mr. Bond; no one hears you scream."
    chrisisall wrote:

2i0dr28.jpg

Let's have a photo of the TLD one!
    Getafix wrote:
    SANY7293_zpsfe9a9e4b.jpg
    I have a couple of others too...
    SANY7290_zps4eb94ef2.jpg
    But this one is my fave:
    SANY7298_zpsec9bb36c.jpg
    It's a Corgi, way bigger. I had to add side & rear view mirrors though, and paint the turn signals on.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    That last Aston is that a1/43 scale
    chrisisall wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    SANY7293_zpsfe9a9e4b.jpg
    I have a couple of others too...
    SANY7290_zps4eb94ef2.jpg
    But this one is my fave:
    SANY7298_zpsec9bb36c.jpg
    It's a Corgi, way bigger. I had to add side & rear view mirrors though, and paint the turn signals on.

Very nice. I've got the DB5 version too. I so want the Esprit.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The one that I desperately want is the V8 Aston Vantage from TLD but I can't find a 1/18 scale model anywhere can anyone help ?
    Nice collection!

Love the Aston from TLD. A nice beefy car. Quite a contrast to the DB5, which is more elegant, but still very cool.
    Getafix wrote:
    Love the Aston from TLD.
    Favourite Bond car from my favourite Bond movie!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    But this one is my fave:
    SANY7298_zpsec9bb36c.jpg

Same here. And it took Corgi long enough to release it.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Same here.
    You augmented yours as well? Let's see!
    I actually bought two on eBay from sellers in the UK; one out of the box that I fixed up (above), the other is untouched IN the Box for collector purposes.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I think I'm going to start and collect these. I know my friend has Wet Nellie, so I'm going to try and persuade to let me buy it...

My brother bought a BMW just like Bonds from TND a few years back.

It kept breaking down and he eventually scrapped it.My guess its theexact same one that Bond crashed into a shop and whoever found it stripped it of all the gadgets and sold it.
    I am thinking about the title of this thread and... does anyone really think it is that bad? I find TND generic and rather mediocre, but not THAT bad, or not even bad. It has its fans, its detractors too, but who thinks it is that bad? The OP seems to think the movie is really disliked.
    I don't think TND gets all that much hate. I actually think some non Brosnan fans rate it higher than his other films.
    Watched it last night.Not only is it nowhere near a bad film, it is a bloody good film full of terrific action, locations, beautiful women,great gadgets, and a super cool and witty Bond.Everything i want in a 007 flick is here.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,882
    chrisisall wrote:
    Same here.
    You augmented yours as well? Let's see!
    I actually bought two on eBay from sellers in the UK; one out of the box that I fixed up (above), the other is untouched IN the Box for collector purposes.

Ah, no, I meant that one is my favourite too. I wouldn't try to alter mine as I would end up making a complete horlicks of it. Yours is really good though, I like the addition of the mirrors. I don't see why Corgi didn't add them, when other model makers like Vangaurds* include mirrors of their cars.

* I have a nice cream and white Triumph Herald from them.
    Getafix wrote:
    I don't think TND gets all that much hate. I actually think some non Brosnan fans rate it higher than his other films.

If anything I think it may be overrated on these here forums.
    Ludovico wrote:

You can't overrate a stone cold classic like TND. But like YOLT & TSWLM, it loses a lot on the small screen. If that had been the first way I saw it instead of the second row of a fairly large theatre, I might be inclinled to knock it down a notch on my list of favourites as well. ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

You can't overrate a stone cold classic like TND. But like YOLT & TSWLM, it loses a lot on the small screen. If that had been the first way I saw it instead of the second row of a fairly large theatre, I might be inclinled to knock it down a notch on my list of favourites as well. ;)

I first watched it in cinema. And I loved it then, but then I was less demanding regarding James Bond. I don't think it is a bad movie, I just think it is rather mediocre, with a few really good, maybe even great, moments. But my point is: whether it is bad or not, I don't think it is regarded here as bad, let alone THAT bad. In general, even those who dislike Brosnan dislike his other entries more, save GE.