Come on, guys! TND isn't all THAT bad.

Comments

• edited March 2014 Posts: 14,824
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    It is a 90s action movies cliché-fest

And SF Is a reworking of the premise from TWINE.
    And AVTAK is GF.

You want originality? That was over in the 60's. :))

SF has similarities with TWINE, but it is far superior to it, in many ways. AVTAK yes is a remake of GF, in many ways, and I don't like AVTAk much, but at least it using a Bond movie as source material. TND uses Bond as makeup, the rest is generic. Even Brosnan thought the movie was a step backwards from GE.
    AstonLotus wrote:
    I love TND.For pure action, its one of the best Bond movies ever made.David Arnold made his debut here as a composer and it worked MUCH better than the Eric Serras terribkle score for GE.Wai Linn was a great kick ass Bond girl and Pryce is so deliciously OTT and entertaining as the baddie.This is where Brosnan really came into his own as Bond as well.There may be a little too much action in this film but its GREAT action.The BMW sequence, the bike chase, Michelle Yeoh kicking ass.I love it all.

It has great action pieces, but the car park sequence is not one of them. It has Bond pushing buttons. Far inferior to the previous scene with Kauffman (maybe the best scene in the movie). And while Carver is an entertaining villain, with some great lines, he is not quite menacing enough. I do like the way he ridiculed Wai Linn though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ludovico wrote:

SF has similarities with TWINE, but it is far superior to it, in many ways.
    Oh c'mon take Bond out of Skyfall, and it could be a movie about any agent coming up against a former agent. SF pays lip service to Bond tropes, but never embraces them. It might as well be a Bourne movie it's so...
    ...generic.

:))
    What are you talking about? SF is heavily influenced by the novels YOLT (Bond getting out of shape and falling from grace, as well as disappearing), TMWTGG and to some extend MR. Generic? Bond's character is closer to Fleming than any of Brosnan movies.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    What are you talking about? SF is heavily influenced by the novels YOLT (Bond getting out of shape and falling from grace, as well as disappearing), TMWTGG and to some extend MR. Generic? Bond's character is closer to Fleming than any of Brosnan movies.

Says you.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 14,824
    Ludovico wrote:

Says you.

And I am very comfortable with what I said, as it is backed up by facts.
  • Ludovico wrote:

Says you.

Now there's a sophisticated debate tactic for you...
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Now there's a sophisticated debate tactic for you...

I prefer the rubber/glue gambit; no one ever sees it coming.
    Ludovico wrote:
    AstonLotus wrote:
    I love TND.For pure action, its one of the best Bond movies ever made.David Arnold made his debut here as a composer and it worked MUCH better than the Eric Serras terribkle score for GE.Wai Linn was a great kick ass Bond girl and Pryce is so deliciously OTT and entertaining as the baddie.This is where Brosnan really came into his own as Bond as well.There may be a little too much action in this film but its GREAT action.The BMW sequence, the bike chase, Michelle Yeoh kicking ass.I love it all.

It has great action pieces, but the car park sequence is not one of them. It has Bond pushing buttons. Far inferior to the previous scene with Kauffman (maybe the best scene in the movie). And while Carver is an entertaining villain, with some great lines, he is not quite menacing enough. I do like the way he ridiculed Wai Linn though.

I disagree.The car park sequence is a fantastic action sequence full of terrific stuntwork,brilliantly edited, and scored to perfection.007 may be pushing buttons but he is using his skill and i love the expressions on Brosnans face during it.He is obviously having a blast here.

The car park sequence has Bond driving a car remotely. As for the expressions of his face, it is part of the problem: his former love just died, he is still smiling and does not seem in any danger. He certainly does not act like he is. The previous scene was far more suspenseful, and all they needed was one man holding a gun at him. In the car park scene, you have Bond easily dispatching his enemies, through a remote gadget-laden car. This is my issue with TND: yes it has some great scenes, some really good lines too, but they are mixed with some questionable, or generic, or not very good ones.

TMWTGG was a bad movie that did not need much to be great. TND was a mediocre one that would have needed a lot more to be good.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Ludovico wrote:
    TND was a mediocre one that would have needed a lot more to be good.

Okay, Nomad...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ludovico wrote:
    The car park sequence has Bond driving a car remotely. As for the expressions of his face, it is part of the problem: his former love just died, he is still smiling and does not seem in any danger. He certainly does not act like he is.

The only ones in danger are the poor pedestrians down on the street. I hate that scene.
    I don't mind it but what if he accidently ran over a poor mother and her child returning from a trip to the shopping centre?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't mind it but what if he accidently ran over a poor mother and her child returning from a trip to the shopping centre?

He would be oblivious of that, and still be grinning like a kid overdosed on sugar.
    haha come on peeps,you could say that about ANY of the Bond films !!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

He would be oblivious of that, and still be grinning like a kid overdosed on sugar.

Ah well, in Roger's day there would have been some cheap sight gags like a child gasping and dropping his ice cream or a fat security guard asleep at his desk suddenly woken up by the cars rushing by.
    I would much prefer that over that @$£&;# scene.
    Haha. I agree the scene is loud and very explosion-y but Arnold's music is quite fun. It's not a classic Bond action scene though - I much prefer the HALO jump soon after it. A credible, believable stunt.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    And then you have a helicopter hovering vertically. "Credible" may be stretching it. The invisible car is more realistic than that.
  • RC7RC7
    And then you have a helicopter hovering vertically. "Credible" may be stretching it. The invisible car is more realistic than that.

A great bit of Bondian bollocks, though.
    I do buy that helicopter sequence though. My main problem with that scene is that Broz seems to say nothing but one-liners ("I'd never dream of it","keep your shirt on","pop the clutch"). Plus his hair keeps going from messy to perfectly styled.
    The ones responsible for his hair sure were more alert than those responsible for continuity.
    Makeup artists want Brosnan to think they are indispensable so they can keep the cash
    flowing . . . Bond fans lose out as hair magically fixes itself and pores all but disappear.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I do buy that helicopter sequence though. My main problem with that scene is that Broz seems to say nothing but one-liners ("I'd never dream of it","keep your shirt on","pop the clutch"). Plus his hair keeps going from messy to perfectly styled.

I quite enjoyed that sequence myself. Far better than having a remote car moving around and dispatching bandits in a car park.
    The action itself in that scene is quite well done, but I liked the fight Wai Lin had with those goons more I think (naff punching sound effects aside). Broz is funny too the way he pretends to search for a cigarette before punching the man guarding the apartment.
    When Brosnan and Michelle take a shower in the street and he stands there with a bare torso, tossing his hair out of his face: Couldn t they show that in slow motion? It would have been so appropriate for his Bond. Maybe throw in a little product placement for Elseve conditioner.
    'He's worth it !'.............................................not.
    Haha, yes. Right down his alley.
    The only Bond I genuinely want to smack sometimes is Rog:

Corrine: "Mr Drax is financing the entire training programme out of his own pocket"
    Bond: "(smirks and looks at Corrine) "Seems to have an eye for a good investment"

Ah ho-ho-ho hilarious. Grrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said Broz did have a few wince inducing lines too:

"Just off the cuff I thought we might link up"
    "work hand-in-hand"
    "stick CLOSER to eachother"
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Says you.

And I am very comfortable with what I said, as it is backed up by facts.

Indeed you have, dear @Ludovico and I agree with you in all you have said. Remind me of the MR novel links to SF? I've not seen it enough as yet! Was it Drax's Gambit and the tube scene, for instance or something else entirely?:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/kingsley-amis-draxs-gambit-and-reform.html