Come on, guys! TND isn't all THAT bad.

Comments

The Hamburg scenes are Brosnan's finest half hour as Bond. Overall, its not as good as GE or TWINE but I think its a good solid entry that gets the job done with a reasonable amount of style and fun. It's around the middle for me.

You are so spot on - when we walks away from his fight at the printers - he is so Bond - I defy anyone here to be honest and wish they were Bond for those 5-10 seconds of Bond being the coolest thing to walk on the planet.

It is the best PB bit of Bond ever....

I like the bit after that when he walks from the car park to the hotel

THAT is James Bond :D
    TheBondFan wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies discussion. Positive and Negative comments are appreciated.
    TND is my favorite film in the series. I do not really know why, it just is. Probably the mix of gadgets and a good Bond along with a nice story. TMWTGG is a close second.

You are clearly mad. However, it is definitely the best of Brosnan's outings. If there'd been a better actor in the lead role it might actually have been quite good.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Getafix, how? He likes TND the most. I like GE the most, and I'm sure someone likes TWINE the most, DAD the most, OP the most, DN the most, etc. It only makes him 'mad' in your world.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2012 Posts: 8,026
    @Getafix You are clearly mad. It was quite good, but it was because of Brosnan. He was cool and calm, and he was very confident in his delivery of his lines. Brosnan was fine in the role. Good in the action scenes (Pain face aside) and his suppressed anger present in the Dr. Kauffman scene is good. But then again, you now think I'm mad. So there you go, everybody is mad.
    The Hamburg scenes are Brosnan's finest half hour as Bond. Overall, its not as good as GE or TWINE but I think its a good solid entry that gets the job done with a reasonable amount of style and fun. It's around the middle for me.

You are so spot on - when we walks away from his fight at the printers - he is so Bond - I defy anyone here to be honest and wish they were Bond for those 5-10 seconds of Bond being the coolest thing to walk on the planet.

It is the best PB bit of Bond ever....

I agree, coolness personified. Also the way he leaves the hotel room after executing Kauffman, the swagger he has while he moves down the stairs is very good. Quintessential Pierce Brosnan Bond. Not quite to the level of Connery, but still pretty damn cool!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I can find plenty of good things in TND althought it's my 3rd favourite Brosnan film (so 2nd worse).

Good: It had a good idea, media mogul manipulating the world politics to sell more newspapers (sounds unusually plausible nowadays), an old-flame , I just love Kaufmann and the scene in the parking lot, I quite enjoy Jonathan Pryce as Carver. Last but not least Surrender was a great song (should have been the title song)!

Bad: total waste of the old-flame, the fact that sometimes if feels more like a generic action film and inconsistencies such as Bond mourning Paris' death and 2 min later laughing and having a good fun in the nonetheless great aforementioned parking lot sequence!

Conclusion: although it's a "Bond by numbers" I woudn't call it bad!
    Here's the Kaulfman scene. I think Pierce does a good job here.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I like TND. As an action film it serves it's purpose. It looks good (unlike the film that directly preceeded it) and moves like super slick greased lightening and it's damn fun to watch. All that in spit of starring a Bond whom I don't believe ever owned the role.

But then i'm not an artsy type, I like a good action film, and TND is exacly that.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really enjoy this film. And Michelle Yeoh kicks ass because she can and does and she fits the role perfectly (so right, thelivingroyale). I like the two of them together a lot. It is a good Bond movie, with Pierce having some great moments. He can have fun as Bond, he can be tough, he can be cool. Naysayers aside, Pierce was a fine Bond. And TND is a good Bond movie. GE was near perfection for me, but this is my 2nd favorite with Brosnan.
    I really enjoy this film. And Michelle Yeoh kicks ass because she can and does and she fits the role perfectly (so right, thelivingroyale). I like the two of them together a lot. It is a good Bond movie, with Pierce having some great moments. He can have fun as Bond, he can be tough, he can be cool. Naysayers aside, Pierce was a fine Bond. And TND is a good Bond movie. GE was near perfection for me, but this is my 2nd favorite with Brosnan.

Very well stated, though GE is perfection to me, haha. That's what I liked about Yeoh: people might complain about her kung-fu'ing her way through the film, but that has to be why she picked her: she can. I've never really researched her biography, but almost every other film she's done that I can think of involves her beating serious ass. Then again, so does Jet Li, and he always says he could hold himself in a fight, but nothing like we see in the films he does.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I agree, Michelle Yeoh was cast because of the character! I would not have liked if they cast some actress who didn't know how to do any of that and CGI'd it or used a double 95% of the time. Besides, she is a very nice actress.
    @Sandy, yes she is. Very pretty, nice, likable person.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    It looks good (unlike the film that directly preceeded it)

Got to say, I don't see where you're coming from there at all, Smythey - GE looks far more stylish and luscious and is generally easier on the eye than TND thanks to Phil Meheux's superior cinematography. One of the big reasons why CR looks so good (in different ways at different times) is because Campbell wisely used him as DOP again...
    St_George wrote:

The problem I have with TND isn't so much it's 'style' but more its ratio of drama to action. TND pretty much sacrifices the former for the latter in the second half. GE has its flaws but there's a bit more space between each action set piece.
    St_George wrote:

Got to say, I don't see where you're coming from there at all, Smythey - GE looks far more stylish and luscious and is generally easier on the eye than TND thanks to Phil Meheux's superior cinematography. One of the big reasons why CR looks so good (in different ways at different times) is because Campbell wisely used him as DOP again...

Agreed. Meheux's crowning glory for me will always be that swooping shot as Bond and Vesper's yacht moves in towards Venice. Breathtaking stuff.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    BAIN123 wrote:

The problem I have with TND isn't so much it's 'style' but more its ratio of drama to action. TND pretty much sacrifices the former for the latter in the second half. GE has its flaws but there's a bit more space between each action set piece.

There's much better characters and better executed sub-text too. It helped that GE wasn't being re-written as they filmed it, unlike TND. I suspect that's why the latter's so much a film-of-two-halves with, if you will, the latter an Under Siege in the Far East to the first half's OHMSS in northern Germany...

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    St_George wrote:

I mean that GE looks like a rough looking film, compared to TND that looks slicker than an eel convention. Whether that's down to GE being the first Bond post hibernation, I don't know. But TND does look more like a film that's had every penny spent on it. TND has also aged better too, and there's only two years between them.

It's been some time since I last watched GE, so maybe my memory is a bit rusty on it, but i'll be coming up to it soon in my Bondathon. Both FYEO & OHMSS have climbed my list, so there's a chance GE could too.

And please don't liken TND to Under Siege. You can liken TND to a Van Damme film, but please not a Seagal film. ;)
    edited June 2012 Posts: 1,699
    I mean that GE looks like a rough looking film, compared to TND that looks slicker than an eel convention. Whether that's down to GE being the first Bond post hibernation, I don't know. But TND does look more like a film that's had every penny spent on it.

GE looks rough? Again, can't see where you're coming from on that one. I can only reiterate it looks more pleasing on the eye than TND - and I suspect many a Bond fan would agree with that, frankly. It's a 'cheaper' film on-screen perhaps, simply because TND had a substantially larger budget, didn't it? And rightly had every penny put on-screen, as is the admirable Eon way.
    TND has also aged better too, and there's only two years between them

That's pretty subjective, I guess, but I think they've both aged relatively similarly really - both have done fine on that score.
    And please don't liken TND to Under Siege. You can liken TND to a Van Damme film, but please not a Seagal film. ;)

Come on, they're all the same - they just rotated the two actors... :p
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I mean that GE looks like a rough looking film, compared to TND that looks slicker than an eel convention. Whether that's down to GE being the first Bond post hibernation, I don't know. But TND does look more like a film that's had every penny spent on it.[/quote]

GE looks rough? Again, can't see where you're coming from on that one. I can only reiterate it looks more pleasing on the eye than TND - and I suspect many a Bond fan would agree with that, frankly. It's a 'cheaper' film on-screen perhaps, simply because TND had a substantially larger budget, didn't it? And rightly had every penny put on-screen, as is the admirable Eon way.

Hmm I suppose GE does look a bit "darker" compared to TND which has a more colourful, "techno" feel to it. That said the GE stuff in Monte Carlo and parts of Cuba are fairly lush.

However I think the "greyness" in GE suits the post-soviet story - as does the soundtrack.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,894
    St_George wrote:
    I mean that GE looks like a rough looking film, compared to TND that looks slicker than an eel convention. Whether that's down to GE being the first Bond post hibernation, I don't know. But TND does look more like a film that's had every penny spent on it.

TND has also aged better too, and there's only two years between them

That's pretty subjective, I guess, but I think they've both aged relatively similarly really - both have done fine on that score.

Come on, they're all the same - they just rotated the two actors... :p

Yeah, and Van Damme got all the good ones. \m/ Now you've done it, SG. You've forced me to engage Action Junkie mode. Maybe i'm biased, but Van Damme had a much better 1990's run than Seagal.

Seagal: Under Seige. That's it.
    Van Damme: Nowhere To Run, Hard Target, Sudden Death, Universal Soldier, Maximum Risk & Timecop. To name just 6.

Action Junie Mode: Disengaged.

I think @Bain might've hit the nail on the head. Maybe it is the soviet setting that gives the film a cold grey feel.
    Seagal: 'Out For Justice.' Greatest of his films, I thought. 'Above the Law' and 'Marked for Death' were good, too, but that's it.
    I stopped watching Seagal films after Submerged. Very odd that he dubbed his own voice, badly.
    I think @Bain might've hit the nail on the head. Maybe it is the soviet setting that gives the film a cold grey feel.

Ah, I see now, yes. Well, complimented nicely by the luscious way Puerto Rico (Cuba) and Monte Carlo are captured, I'd say that adds more fuel to the fire that is Meheux's quality cinematography... ;)
  • I rewatched TND a while back and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I remember liking it but feeling a bit let down by it when it first premiered. I loved GE, especially because it seemed to capture a lot of the "classic" elements of a Bond film i.e. the big base at the end, but it also had a touch of timeless class about it. Seeing Bond wearing a cravat (!) and driving the DB5, plus Monte Carlo gave it that classy, elegant feeling of existing in a slightly better reality than the one we live in. GE also looked amazing - the thing I was most impressed with was what a giant leap forward in cinematography since the 80s Bond films.

While I found GE to be timeless and classy, TND is very much a late-90s film. The poor techno soundtrack really dates it, and the four uses (!) of the James Bond theme in the first half hour was overkill. It sounded what what a 12 year old would do if he was scoring a Bond film because, you know, WE'RE WATCHING JAMES BOND DO STUFF!

It also seemed a bit like a generic action film more than a Bond film - classic elements were there but they seemed to exist as "put a check mark in that box" kind of way. Pryce's villain was an interesting idea but there was no menace to the character and that kind of lessened him. Brosnan showed the first bits of becoming more smug and confident in the film and while that was good in its own way I actually liked how he underplayed the role in GE (Campbell also made him far more believable in the fights in GE than he was in TND). The less said about Paris and Stamper the better (maybe better actors could have brought more personality to the roles).

However, I did still enjoy it. There were quite a few great scenes - everyone remembers Bond drinking alone in his hotel room, the Dr. Kaufman scene and the parking lot chase but I also really liked the HALO jump and the dive to the sunken ship. Yeoh was credible as an agent but I found that her and Brosnan didn't have much chemistry. Dench was great as usual and I liked the touch of the briefing in the motorcade - it gave a sense of urgency to the scene.

I found the film quite zippy and enjoyable. Having rewatched Brosnan's first three films I put TND in the middle - not a classic like GE but better than the mawkish, poorly directed and acted TWINE (which, at the time, I liked more than TND!).
    Oh thank you! I've always thought that TND receives too much criticism! There's a full feast of terrific action, a fabulous soundtrack debut by David Arnold, a classy and A+ performance by Pierce Brosnan, and exotic locations that move along with the swift pace that never fails to entertain. TND sits at #4 in my rankings, and safely I might add!
    I like TND just because of how well PB played Bond. Humorous, cool (at the car crash in Avis for example), and sometimes serious and professional (Dr. Kauffman scene)
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 822
    All the gadgets too.
    Also loved the scene where Bomd infiltrated the Carver HQ and how he left. Pure Bond imo.
    Bottom five for me. It has some fun moments, it ain't a bad movie by any means but it is the MOST Bond cliche ridden exercise in the series. They checked off the boxes, Bond in a tux, shaken not stirred, megliomaniac villian, female in love with Bond, gadgets, on and on they played it safe here and that grates me.
    The HALO jump is quite spectacular and an often forgotten stunt when talking about Bond.
    The_Reaper wrote:
    Bottom five for me. It has some fun moments, it ain't a bad movie by any means but it is the MOST Bond cliche ridden exercise in the series. They checked off the boxes, Bond in a tux, shaken not stirred, megliomaniac villian, female in love with Bond, gadgets, on and on they played it safe here and that grates me.

Really? I don't have much of a problem with the Bond box-checking mentality, in fact, it works better for me because at that point I know exactly what I came to watch- 007 in his best form, with all the usual refinements attached.