The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    An Irish-Scotsman then. He’s more British than Bond is, come to think of it. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    He's all Celted up.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    So what do you shout at him? :D

According to our ancient and noble tradition, at any point where Pierce takes his top off I have to shout "OH! YOU ARE HAIRY, LIKE ANIMAL!!" in my best Ivana Humpalot voice.

:))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Watched The Foreigner over Christmas and was struck by Peirce’s controlled and impressive performance. I haven’t seen much of his post Bond output, but he never failed to convince as the Gerry Adams - like IRA activist turned politician. Enjoyable film, splendid performances from Pierce and Jackie Chan.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed @NicNac. Brosnan was outstanding and very credible in the role, and so was Chan. Campbell gets the best out of him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed @NicNac. Brosnan was outstanding and very credible in the role, and so was Chan. Campbell gets the best out of him.

You know how much I adore the man, but I genuinely wasn't ready for Brosnan to steal as many scenes and be such a powerhouse in The Foreigner. Figured it'd just be some fun escapism watching Jackie choke people out for an hour and a half, but Brosnan elevated it all even further at times.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Definitely agree @Creasy47. He can be very good when he's in his element and with the right direction. I really enjoyed his small part in No Escape as well and am looking forward to Spinning Man, which looks interesting.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    still no theatrical release planned for Germany sadly, but i finaly got my hands on a copy today so i will give it a spin in a couple hours.
    I am quite astonished as i found out today that Cliff Martinez did the soundtrack.
    His work on Winding Refns last couple movies was superb. He definitly is an unconventional choice for a political thriller
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I see it's turned up on UK Netflix, so I'll give it a go soon. (I confess: I was searching for Taffin, and Foreigner was Netflix's suggested alternative.)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Foreigner comes out here on January 9th- I'll own it by the 10th. It's not a fun movie... very heartfelt and painful... but the performances are amazing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Any updates on that film where Pierce was set up to be playing a spy in Ireland that was more earnest in tone?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Any updates on that film where Pierce was set up to be playing a spy in Ireland that was more earnest in tone?

Ummmm.... isn't THAT The Foreigner-?
    Nope. A dead end.
  • Agent_99 wrote: »
    I see it's turned up on UK Netflix, so I'll give it a go soon. (I confess: I was searching for Taffin, and Foreigner was Netflix's suggested alternative.)

And here I was about to bitch about there still being no sign of a UK release. Thanks for the heads up @Agent_99, I'll definitely be giving it a watch over the weekend.
    @ClarkDevlin, you mean the project is officially not happening any more?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @ClarkDevlin, you mean the project is officially not happening any more?
    That's what I'm led to believe, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. There are little to no reports on the project. Last it was heard of was in 2013. I doubt Brosnan will be doing action roles as he's advancing in age.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Finally watched The Foreigner, great performance by Pierce. Really enjoyed the movie overall. Not a simple revenge flick like the marketing might led you to believe.
    Pierce probably has the most screen time, definitly more so than Jacky, and plays a very morally ambiguous character but i could not stop rooting for him no matter what he did lol, not sure if that was intended or if thats just the fanboy in me :D

Got in some mood for more Brosnan so i watched No Escape right after. Now THATS the Badass Brosnan i wanna see, but the movie overall is waaay to intense and stomach churning for me, i don't think i'll ever wanna see that again.
    Brosnan was great again, even though he did not have much screen time as he only had a supporting role.
    No Escape, awesome flick.
    What a fantastic death scene he has. We're lucky he asked for it to be changed because it wound up being much better than originally intended. (I think the original idea was for him to get shot and just die there in the middle of the street.)
    mattjoes wrote: »
    No Escape, awesome flick.
    What a fantastic death scene he has. We're lucky he asked for it to be changed because it wound up being much better than originally intended. (I think the original idea was for him to get shot and just die there in the middle of the street.)
    Oh definitly, he got a badass heroes death. Much more impactful than just bleeding out on the street
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Continuing my little Brosnathon, i watched The Matador today. Last time i watched it was 2005 when it came out.

Damn such a good movie. Brosnan had me in stitches. He was just so good in it. He is perfect in this type of Role. I think this just became my favorite Performace of his outside of Bond.
    He was born to either play most suave Gentleman types or all out As****** like Julian lol.

I think i'm going for Grey Owl next.
    It is interesting how Brosnan is always best when he is allowed to just go off the rails and truly become a cartoon or caricature, larger than life. If anything, Bond was actually too subdued a character for him! ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I liked him in MARS ATTACKS!.
    It is interesting how Brosnan is always best when he is allowed to just go off the rails and truly become a cartoon or caricature, larger than life. If anything, Bond was actually too subdued a character for him! ;)
    Yeah. His biggest strength and natural tendency seems to be to play affected, mannered characters. That's why he was perfect in things like Mars Attacks! and The Matador, as well as in Around the World in 80 Days. It's what he does best, and he is most "alive" onscreen when playing that sort of part. His talent is well-suited for comedy; he should further pursue that genre.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 6,726
    So, The Foreigner premiered yesterday in my country. And today, I watched it.

It was friggin' awesome.
    Random thoughts about it:
    - Jackie Chan was very good. His performance didn't show a great deal of range, but that's exactly what the character demanded given his state of mind and his role in the story. What Chan did so well was to utterly nail that deadpan expression, that thousand-yard stare in the character's face that conveyed his sorrow. I loved the moment in which he says Hennessey will "change his mind" about giving him the names. A veiled threat, or rather, a veiled warning. A far cry from Chan's action comedy roles.
    - Brosnan was absolutely great. Especially so in that scene in which Quan holds him at gunpoint at the farm. He really acts as if he's about to die any second when he desperately says "he still doesn't know the names!" Fantastic bit of acting there. And his character was complex and interesting, certainly not the hero but not a full-fledged villain either. I still felt for the guy when his life was basically destroyed at the end.
    - I didn't expect the plot to be so intricate; I loved it. Several people with conflicting interests all stabbing each other in the back or trying to profit from things. The film felt not like a hero vs. villain thing, but like a tragedy.
    - Brosnan's first scene? In bed with a lady. Why, of course!
    - There was something about the action scenes that was visceral as well as emotional. Other films fall short in this regard. It has something to do with the actors cast in them, or how the scenes are filmed, or how the characters in them, as fleeting as their appearance might be, get a brief introduction and thus already feel like actual human beings when the violence begins. Great work there.
    - Brosnan is on a roll, by the way. The November Man, No Escape, The Foreigner, all solid-to-great films.
    Glad you liked it @mattjoes
    To your second last point i would simply add that this is the magic touch of Campbell.
    He knows his stuff better than anybody when it comes to action, and i really miss that.
    Both his successors were almost completely lost in that department
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I have a little more money I can spend on movies. Usually I'm not interested at all in newer content as you know.

But I would like to get one movie of each Bond actor outside their Bond catalogue.

Nothing that is dramatically different to Bond unless it's really considered one of the best.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions for Pierce Brosnan as I have no knowledge whatsoever about the man outside of Bond.
    I have a little more money I can spend on movies. Usually I'm not interested at all in newer content as you know.

But I would like to get one movie of each Bond actor outside their Bond catalogue.

Nothing that is dramatically different to Bond unless it's really considered one of the best.

I'd be very grateful for suggestions for Pierce Brosnan as I have no knowledge whatsoever about the man outside of Bond.

The REMINGTON STEELE television series put him on the map

He did a TON of made for cable films in the '90's.
    Some B movies as well.

THE FOURTH PROTOCOL (1987)
    MISTER JOHNSON (1990)
    LIVE WIRE (1992)
    LAWNMOWER MAN (1992)
    DANTE'S PEAK (1997)
    GREY OWL (1999)
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1999)
    THE MATADOR (2005)

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mars Attacks
    The Tailor of Panama. My favourite performance of Brosnan's and a great Le Carre satirical political thriller.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The November Man.