The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Plus Seraphim Falls, The Ghost Writer, No Escape and The Foreigner.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 6,754
    00Agent wrote: »
    Glad you liked it @mattjoes
    To your second last point i would simply add that this is the magic touch of Campbell.
    He knows his stuff better than anybody when it comes to action, and i really miss that.
    Both his successors were almost completely lost in that department
    Agreed, the other people don't reach his level of craftmanship. The Campbell touch.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Shattered aka Butterfly on a Wheel is not bad too. Intense Brosnan performance there.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Death Train a good cast considering it was made for TV
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    The Thomas Crown Affair?? The same as the Steve McQueen film? Remake?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd definitely suggest The Thomas Crown Affair above all else. There are similarities in character to his Bond counterpart.
    I should point out that the The Tailor of Panama (2001), which I recommended earlier, has Brosnan playing a British Intelligence Operative. His character is a real schemer in the film. I contend that some of that edginess seeped into his DAD performance (which came afterwards).
    The Thomas Crown Affair?? The same as the Steve McQueen film? Remake?
    Yes. A remake, but a worthy one. One that doesn't taint the legacy of the original film.
    Tailor of Panama is not on iTunes...
    Thomas Crown Affair is though. Purchased.
    I wanted to watch Thomas Crown Affair. I will have to at some point soon.
    You might probably not like it, @FoxRox. It's too Brosnan, if you know what I mean. ;)
    @FoxRox, I think you'll like The Tailor of Panama. . It's got superb performances from Geoffrey Rush and Jamie Lee Curtis in addition to Brosnan.
    You might probably not like it, @FoxRox. It's too Brosnan, if you know what I mean. ;)

What? I like Pierce Brosnan!
    FoxRox wrote: »

Not like this. Not like him.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423

Not what I meant. It's got the tropes from his Bond films in performance that I assume you don't like, that's why I said it. The spirit of his Bond films are present in it.
    There is no pain face in The Thomas Crown Affair but it is a bit heavy on the schmaltz towards the end imho.

Why hasn't anyone recommended After the Sunset? I quite enjoy that film. It stars Ms. MP herself (Naomi Harris) and if that wasn't enough, there's also Salma Hayek doing what she does best.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 6,754
    I forgot, I was going to mention After the Sunset. It's like going on vacation, that film. Recommended.

Not what I meant. It's got the tropes from his Bond films in performance that I assume you don't like, that's why I said it. The spirit of his Bond films are present in it.

I'd have to see for myself I suppose. Brosnan himself is never the problem for me in his Bond films. I don't really watch a lot of movies from the Bond actors outside of their Bond movies.
    After the Sunset. Sounds good then.
    Just saw that The Sea Wolves has David Niven AND Patrick Macnee!!!
    In The Tailor of Panama, Brosnan sort of plays Bond after crossing over to the Dark Side. It's like TND smugness on steroids.
    bondjames wrote: »
    There is no pain face in The Thomas Crown Affair..
    Well, there is no villain in it, @bondjames. Otherwise, there would've been. :))
    bondjames wrote: »
    Why hasn't anyone recommended After the Sunset? I quite enjoy that film. It stars Ms. MP herself (Naomi Harris) and if that wasn't enough, there's also Salma Hayek doing what she does best.
    I always have regarded that one as a spiritual sequel to Thomas Crown just without the glamour and the high-life. But, Lalo Schifrin's composed theme for the movie is a killer one. I listen to it every now and then.

That's the one I'm talking about:
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Thomas Crowne Affair and After The Sunset are my favorite non-Bond Brosnan films.
    Remington wrote: »
    Thomas Crowne Affair and After The Sunset are my favorite non-Bond Brosnan films.

Cool. And those two I got !
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Remington wrote: »

Cool. And those two I got !

Two very good choices. Brosnan at his most cool and suave.
    I'm not sure whether it's better to discuss The Foreigner here or on the "Last Movie You Watched" thread, but anyway, if I could turn the conversation back to that film for a moment, for those who've seen it, what do you think about the fact
    Jackie Chan's character winds up not really having any significant effect on the outcome of the story? Because if he hadn't done what he did, the police would've still found out the identity of one of the terrorists, traced it back to Hennessy's contact, probably gotten the information out of him and found the other terrorists. What Chan's character does do is sink Hennessy's public image with the cellphone photo...
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether it's better to discuss The Foreigner here or on the "Last Movie You Watched" thread, but anyway, if I could turn the conversation back to that film for a moment, for those who've seen it, what do you think about the fact
    Jackie Chan's character winds up not really having any significant effect on the outcome of the story? Because if he hadn't done what he did, the police would've still found out the identity of one of the terrorists, traced it back to Hennessy's contact, probably gotten the information out of him and found the other terrorists. What Chan's character does do is sink Hennessy's public image with the cellphone photo...
    Well, it's all a matter of perspective.
    My take on it is, that Jacky didn't really care about whether he 'stops' the terorrists from doing more terrorist stuff or not (and there's even one strange scene where Brosnan tells everyone, including Jacky, that he changed some keyword and that if the terrorists commit another bombing they will be able to get them, and everyone seems perfectly happy with that solution lol)
    What Jackys character was about, was commiting revenge for the sake of commiting revenge because he had deeprooted guilt for having failed his whole family, not just his daughter. He was the emotional Anker for the audience.
    On the other hand i am Not sure if the police would have killed the terrorists like Jacky set out to do and did in the end, so you could say 'they got what they deserved'.
    In regards to the story you are right, his biggest impact was the cellphone photo.
    It was more a film about character studies and grey areas and I liked that.
    Agreed, @mattjoes. I didn't really see Hennessy as a villain and I don't know why Chan's character did what he did in the end. That's why the story felt all over the place for me and why I didn't enjoy it at all.
    Perhaps the film is
    an allegory for how Asia views the West? Not purely evil necessarily, but decadent and violent, causing unintended havoc wherever they go. This film did well in Asian markets and I think the narrative, emotional underpinnings & drama are designed to appeal to that audience.
    Good point!