The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Craig and Lazenby people had low expectations for. People had already decided they'd be terrible Bonds.

With Brosnan his casting was more than just accepted, it was applauded. People had wanted him for the part since Moore left. He had lots of pressure because he had to live up to peoples high expectations and if he wasn't popular or any good it could've meant the end of the series.
    I believe the negative press helped Craig though, people had already decided he was rubbish and wrong for the part so the only way was up once the film was released.

Exactly my point.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Thats probably why his performance was so lacklustre.

If you think that fair enough but then what are you doing in this thread anyway?
    If you think that fair enough but then what are you doing in this thread anyway?

Theres no need to get aggressive.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    actonsteve wrote:

I don't see any aggression in his post, I'm just curious as to why someone would enter an appreciation thread to not appreciate the actor in question. Seems counter-intuitive.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

I don't see any aggression in his post, I'm just curious as to why someone would enter an appreciation thread to not appreciate the actor in question. Seems counter-intuitive.

I can enter any thread I want.

@actonsteve, I would greatly appreciate it if you could point out where I stated you couldn't enter the thread.

Go ahead. I'll wait.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Exactly. It's a perfectly good question and I'm not being aggressive at all.
    actonsteve wrote:
    I can enter any thread I want.

But what we're asking is why do you want to?
    You two should learn to take criticism of your hairlaquered poster boy Pierce Brosnan without throwing your dummies out the pram.

I am entitled to enter any thread and post what I like without harassment. If you dont like what I post - block me.

You have to learn to take criticism of Pierce.
    @actonsteve, we're having a discussion, why would I block you?

I've taken criticism of Pierce in the past. I don't think all four of his films are perfect, because no film out there is. It's just the fact that it's an appreciation thread, and you've come to do the opposite. It's like me entering Twilight fan forums and trashing the films; what's the point?

But again, you're entitled to do what you will. Not sure why you keep preaching that, as I haven't once stated you aren't allowed, nor have I even alluded to the fact, but you seem to be defensive about it, so please, carry on.
  • actonsteve wrote:
    You have to learn to take criticism of Pierce.

I'm fine with criticism of Pierce but this thread was set up specifically for appreciation of him. Go slag him off in one of the many other threads on this site about his Bond films.

And you still haven't actually answered us. Why have you decided to enter a Brosnan appreciation thread if you don't like him? And "I can do what I like!" isn't an answer.

You've come in here specifically to be a shit stirrer and when people call you out in it you've started complaining about us being "harassing" you.
    actonsteve wrote:
    without throwing your dummies out the pram.

You're the one having a tantrum. All we did was ask you a question.
    I'm fine with criticism of Pierce n.

yeah right. You jump on anyone who criticses Pierce. Notorious for it.
  • Can we please not turn this thread this into another bitch fest please. We've all had to put up with an annoying little troll in the last few days so it would be nice if we could all treat each other with some respect.
    Can we please not turn this thread this into another bitch fest please. We've all had to put up with an annoying little troll in the last few days so it would be nice if we could all treat each other with some respect.

It's not so much "we" as it is a singular person. I asked a fair question, and received a snobby reply.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    :D
    P:erhaps I should leave these two in their little Pierce Brosnan fantasyland where everything is wonderful and the sun shines out of his backside.

But I don't believe so. I think he is the weakest Bond by a long long margin

The argument "because I am entitled too" is a valid argument. Whats the alternative? One sanctioned point of view? Censorship? Only Pierce love allowed?

Some people on these boards obviously prefer that.

• Creasy47 wrote:
    Can we please not turn this thread this into another bitch fest please. We've all had to put up with an annoying little troll in the last few days so it would be nice if we could all treat each other with some respect.

It's not so much "we" as it is a singular person. I asked a fair question, and received a snobby reply.

I know and I have been as guilty as anyone into getting involved when I really should know better. Perhaps in these instances it's best to bite our tongues and ignore.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    @Murdock I love that clip. Never seen the actual film but it's one of the funniest videos I've ever seen.
    actonsteve wrote:
    You jump on anyone who criticses Pierce.

Nope. I'm fine with people like @SirHenryLeeChaChing, @Samuel001, etc. People who don't like Brosnan but don't act like twats about it, doing things like slagging him off in appreciation threads.
    actonsteve wrote:

Again, that's fine. But if you think that then this isn't the thread for you. Read the opening post. Do you not understand the concept of an appreciation thread?

There are plenty of other threads on this site where you can talk about Brosnans films and say if you don't like them.
    actonsteve wrote:
    P:erhaps I should leave these two

Please do.
    edited September 2013 Posts: 16,330
    actonsteve wrote:
    P:erhaps I should leave these two in their little Pierce Brosnan fantasyland where everything is wonderful and the sun shines out of his backside.

The argument "because I am entitled too" is a valid argument. Whats the alternative? One sanctioned point of view? Censorship? Only Pierce love allowed?

Just answer there questions. All they asked is why you bash Brosnan in an Appreciation thread. Your pretty much derailing the thread at this point. You don't like Brosnan, good for you.
    @Murdock I love that clip. Never seen the actual film but it's one of the funniest videos I've ever seen.

LOL thanks. I haven't seen the film either but I thought it applied to this situation. =))
  • @Murdock I wouldn't bother. He won't say why, he'll just say "because I can" and then act like he's being hard done to because we asked him a perfectly good question.

I think now we should just take @WillGalore's advice and ignore him.
    Yeah, my words fall on deaf ears. I just...don't even know where to begin on those absolute trainwrecks he might consider 'fair replies.' Anyway, back to the discussion.

Who else is looking forward to 'November Man'?
    @Creasy47 I sure am. I think this is the comeback movie Pierce needs. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    @Creasy47 I sure am. I think this is the comeback movie Pierce needs. :)

My only worry is that it will be an incredibly limited release and I won't get to see it, unless I look for a terrible quality of it online or wait for it on DVD/blu-ray. He's looking pretty badass in this, I can't wait to see it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am so looking forward to November Man! I didn't know it was looking like a limited release. :( Really? I hope not. Here in Japan, it is tough enough to see some films. And this sounds like it promises to be a good film.
    Sadly it seems like alot of Pierce's films Post Bond don't get recognized in the mainstream public channels. But I think after Die Another Day he wanted to lay low and avoid big blockbusters. However with some other big names attached to it aside from his own I think it might see a mainstream release.
  • actonsteve wrote:

Ok, so I'm away from these boards for nearly a year, and jump back in where I left off !
    Dude, where do you get off? This is an appreciation thread dumb ass!

Can't wait for November Man, older, more experienced Brozzer!!

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes it is an appreciation of Brosnan thread.

Welcome back, Shoreline. :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    After all the back and fourth, all @actonsteve should have done is answered @thelivingroyale's post at the top of the page. That is the discussion that should have continued, the one about expectations for Lazenby, Brosnan and Craig.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    After all the back and fourth, all @actonsteve should have done is answered @thelivingroyale's post at the top of the page. That is the discussion that should have continued.

I gave up on that bicker fest. I wasn't getting an answer to some fair questions, so I stopped replying to him.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's said that the pressure was off Brosnan since he was the 'heir apparent' but I disagree entirely- it was BECAUSE he was expected to shine so fiercely in the role that the pressure was on. And he performed admirably.
    After the crap Craig got from fans & media, he was really free from expectations (which he exceeded in spades anyway).

• retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    I think you are correct, chrisisall. It's better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    retrokitty wrote:
    It's better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around.
    Totally. :)>-