The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Congratulations for everyone that shows appreciation, but really at the end of the day it doesn't change anything. It is more like being nice to an actor that struck out and you feel bad for, since everyone else criticizes him all the time. If I show appreciation for someone I don't feel deserves it, then I am just lying to myself. I was only making a gaping observation in my post.

We are not bending your arm to make your posts here. We are not trying to change minds or anything. We just want to comment about why we do appreciate Brosnan. If no appreciation, then please comment on other threads, that's all. It would be nice for a thread to stay positive as a genuine appreciation thread for once. If there were a Lazenby is the Best Bond Ever thread, I might read it a bit but I would not post my honest negative feelings on that thread, just out of respect for the thread trying to be a positive appreciation of someone.

I was just making an observation that points to a huge fault. I did not say anything negative regarding Brosnan, the man, which is what this thread is for. Just because I posted that doesn't mean I have instantly lost appreciation.
    Brosnan appeciation and no snide remarks ?, very well and good then

Here's a list of ten things (in no discernible order) of why I liked Brosnan as James Bond

#1 The discussion with Tanner and M at MI6 headquarters after the Goldeneye explosion

#2 The armored train scene with Trevelyan, Ourumov and Onatopp in Goldeneye

#3 At the pipeline center in The World Is Not Enough with MI6 staff and King etc, before he leaves with Richards and King goes bad and snatches M

#4 With M at the subway station in Die Another Day when 'he becomes useful again'

#5 When M comes to visit Bond after the Zao exchange and he has undergone medical procedures, and before he goes into cardiac arrest and is brought back to life and escapes the ship

#6 In Bilbao at The World Is Not Enough opening, after that, back in London and with Robert King and M before the explosion, and subsequent boat chase on the Thames even

#7 With Scorupco in Goldeneye after they are captured after the helicopter escape, and held in that cell before Mishkin appears for the interrogation

#8 With Wade in Goldeneye in Saint Petersburg when they discuss the Janus crime syndicate while fixing Wade's auto

#9 With Coltrane and Richards in Istanbul when, and before, they learn of M's whereabouts, the talk about the submarines etc

#10 With Yeoh in Tomorrow Never Dies as they prepare to infiltrate the Carver stealth boat, the time leading up to it, and the immediate time they arrive and she is captured and Bond finds a way in etc

(thank fk for saved work, otherwise I would of lost the damn lot, :-L but there at least are ten valid reasons for me why Brosnan in not such a bad Bond)
    Who would have thought there would ever be a nice thread about the Brozzer?!
    About time I say.
    For me, he remains a cool Bond, who helped invigorate the series through the `90`s with a lot of style and charm. He was always happy to talk Bond in interviews too, which can`t be said for all the actors.

Anyone out there dig After The Sunset? Love this movie!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Can't believe I haven't seen After the Sunset yet. I'll have to go rent it. Really loved The Thomas Crown Affair.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can't believe I haven't seen After the Sunset yet. I'll have to go rent it. Really loved The Thomas Crown Affair.

After the Sunset was very enjoyable, with a great cast - upcoming Bond girl Naomie Harris is in the film, as well. I love the film, and I try to give it a view as often as I can.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here's a brilliant interview led by the lovely James Lipton when Pierce stopped by the Actor's Studio:

• edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Here's a brilliant interview led by the lovely James Lipton when Pierce stopped by the Actor's Studio:

Die Another Day :-w

I don't like Brozza as much as I did despite the fact I defend him like mad on these boards (and will continue to do so) but if I was in that audience I'd probably be going wild - and I'm normally a pretty reserved person.

I've put this interview up before but its one I quite like ("I hope I don't bump into Craig")

Who'd have thought the lightweight Pierce Brosnan of the 80s would eventually be sitting (and starring) alongside Meryl Streep.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 2012 Posts: 8,033

That's a bloody fabulous interview.
    Too bad to hear about his optimism for another Bond. Good thing he got on there before his firing. Poor Pierce wouldn't have enjoyed it I am sure.
    I'm just really looking forward to his upcoming action thrillers. I'm sure 'The Topkapi Affair' isn't going to happen, but 'November Man' and 'The Coup' sound like they will be entertaining. Overall, I would kill for a sequel to 'The Matador'. Maybe that's the film I'll re-watch tonight. It's been at least a week since I last saw it, which is long enough for me. :))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Matador is awesome !!

I really love this song at the end :

@DaltonCraig007, doesn't that song play when
    they arrive at the horse races, so Julian can kill his boss?

The whole film has a great soundtrack: the opening song, the one we are speaking of, and the one that plays at the finale of the film, just before the credits.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    That's the scene @Creasy47 :)
    I love it :) such a great scene.
    Has anyone seen Salvation Boulevard? Dint appear to get a wide theatrical release and to find it on dvd is pretty tricky.
    @LeChiffre, I have not, but wanted to. Was nice to see Brosnan and Kinnear again together, but like you, I can't seem to find it anywhere. Finding it online is probably the best choice, or taking the plunge and buying it cheap off Amazon or something.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @DaltonCraig007, doesn't that song play when
    they arrive at the horse races, so Julian can kill his boss?

The whole film has a great soundtrack: the opening song, the one we are speaking of, and the one that plays at the finale of the film, just before the credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZTpLvsYYHw

Great tune.
    I quite enjoyed PB as Bond. Seems to get along of criticism on here? When i first joined the forum dear old Roger was the one who got all the abuse? Oh well!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Watched GoldenEye through Die Another Day today. All excellent. I consider Brosnan's first three films a Trilogy since they have reoccurring characters (Tanner, Valentin, Jack Wade.) and Die Another Day as the sendoff to his Bond. Pierce Brosnan is a wonderful Bond, haters are going to hate and I'm going to love.
  • Murdock wrote:
    Watched GoldenEye through Die Another Day today. All excellent. I consider Brosnan's first three films a Trilogy since they have reoccurring characters (Tanner, Valentin, Jack Wade.) and Die Another Day as the sendoff to his Bond. Pierce Brosnan is a wonderful Bond, haters are going to hate and I'm going to love.

What's your take on how the films and Brosnan's performances evolved? It would be interesting to see all 4 back to back but I won't be doing it anytime soon...

I would imagine that the biggest change with Brosnan's performance would be between GE and TND but he did get more confident (or smug, depending on your point of view) with each film. But what of the films themselves?

I would imagine that Connery had the most consistent performance as Bond in his first films...Moore, Brosnan, and Craig's takes on the character evolved a lot more IMHO.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    As i said before, Brosnan was the best Bond. He did have the coolness and self confidence as needed. And the way he walks with his left hand in the pocket is just so cool.
    What's your take on how the films and Brosnan's performances evolved? It would be interesting to see all 4 back to back but I won't be doing it anytime soon...

Brosnan's performances were always good, but he gets better in each of his films. As each movie comes along, you feel him evolve as a spy and a man. He's not a superman, he has his moments of being down and out.
    I think Goldeneye proved that if you give Pierce Brosnan a good script and director, he's a good Bond.

There's some really impressive stuff in GE, and I'm a Connery guy through and through. There's even stuff in the other films that I like. It's not his fault that EON kept hiring bad directors and writing bad scripts.

That scene in the steam room in GE is a lot of fun, as is of course the end of the film, which to me is one of the highlights of the series.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    MrBond wrote:
    As i said before, Brosnan was the best Bond. He did have the coolness and self confidence as needed. And the way he walks with his left hand in the pocket is just so cool.

I always thought you were more of a Craig guy @MrBond

Good to see some Brosnan love, he gets a hard time on here.
    MrBond wrote:

I always thought you were more of a Craig guy @MrBond

Good to see some Brosnan love, he gets a hard time on here.

I will always be here to support Brosnan. I love that man.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 16,330
    Brosnan is mah numbah one Bond!!!

GoldenEye is an Epic
    Tomorrow Never Dies is a Gem
    TWINE is a Classic
    and DAD well you know...Shiny and Cold. BUT! There all great films I cherish time and time again.

tumblr_kwoajzirJE1qafi0to1_400.jpg
    Like a Boss!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 126
    He saved the frranchise after a 6 year absence. You cant deny that. At least I cant.

My Mom Loved Remington Steele, so when I Watched ,I could see him as Bond just like everybody else. Even thought I thought he was kinda corny in that role.

I loved That Stephanie Zimbalist lady.
    Here is some beyond... ;)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/394506/Pierce-Brosnan-to-star-in-new-spy-movie

I had to laugh at the way they said: She started with Daniel Craig and ends up with PB Was it really a compliment for her?
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    Here is some beyond... ;)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/394506/Pierce-Brosnan-to-star-in-new-spy-movie

I had to laugh at the way they said: She started with Daniel Craig and ends up with PB Was it really a compliment for her?

Haha, that was extremely cute.

I hope Pierce finally gets his serious and gritty spy film, and wish him all the luck in the world.