The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Yes it is an appreciation of Brosnan thread.

Welcome back, Shoreline. :)
    Thanks dude!
    Good to be back..... I think

:|
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    @4Ever- do they call ladies "Dude" in Japan? That question has been plaguing me for some time ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Dudette is the correct term I believe. ;)
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Dudette is the correct term I believe. ;)

Correct!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh my god, I haven't been called a dudette for decades - but yeah, that brought back nice memories, thanks. ;)
    (And I have always looked like a lady.)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Brosnan was an entertaining Bond and I definitely feel that he's up there with Connery in fulfilling that ok'd adage of every man wanting to be Bond. He may not be the best or the most convincing, heck he could be the worst but one thing's for certain, he made being Bond fun in a sort of idealistic fantasy way.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Watching a film of his now actually...Love is All You Need.

He's good in it...even if he does do a bit of his "angry overracting" on a couple of occasions.

He could easily play an "older" Bond too :p

There's a scene in it when he's talking about a certain breed of male insects who, in his own words, "die after a couple of days because they have no mouths".

One could say they Die Another Day :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @BAIN123, gah, I'm jealous! I want to watch 'Love Is All You Need,' I just don't want to head up to Sheetz to get it from Redbox. I'm lazy.
    I think many folks on this forum appreciate Brosnan outside of Bond.
    I appreciate him very much as Bond, too.
    I think people have a point when they say he's had more "meaty" roles outside of Bond.

I have a lot of love for his Bond too but a large part of his era I realise was cheese rather than meat.

I haven't heard him say any naff puns yet in Love is All You Need.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I have a lot of love for his Bond too but a large part of his era I realise was cheese rather than meat.
    I'm a vegetarian mostly, so cheese can be fine with me.
    The girl I just started dating was talking to me, unaware of my Bond fanaticism, when she was talking about how her dad was at TIFF and "met one of the James Bonds, but I don't know which one." I asked her to show me so I could tell her, and there's her dad standing with the Brozzer! Haha, her dad's a good six feet tall and Pierce still has an entire forehead over him. He's the tallest Bond, right? Or was that Dalton?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm fairly certain that Connery is the tallest out of the bunch, @StirredNotShaken.
    I read somewhere though that Connery's height has been often overexaggerated by an inch or two.
    I think Dalton is probably the tallest of all the actors to play Bond.

Great story @stirrednotshaken. It was funny how she hadn't heard of Broz. I'm guessing she's quite young?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Connery is the tallest at 1.89m (6ft 2in). Lazenby, Dalton and Brosnan are next at 1.88m (just under 6ft 2in), with Moore 1.85m (6ft) and Craig 1.78m (5ft 10in).
    Haha, she's my age. I met her in one of my university classes. She's only a casual viewer of Bond, only seen a few of them. I don't think she knows any of the Bonds' names.
    There's a bloke I know at work who's 18 and the only Bond actor he knows is Daniel Craig.
  • RC7RC7
    BAIN123 wrote:
    There's a bloke I know at work who's 18 and the only Bond actor he knows is Daniel Craig.

I just don't understand how this can happen. I give up.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    He's only 18; to be fair he's still young and there're so many things out there to distract his attention from getting to grips with the series' history. He would have just been born when Brosnan started out.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    He's only 18; to be fair he's still young and there are so many things out there to distract his attention from getting to grips with the series' history. He would have just been born when Brosnan started out.

Exactly. It can take a while for the noobs to get caught up, some dive in faster than others.
    Yeah but I'm 18 and I've seen every one, read the books, seen the unofficial/parody films, etc... age is no indicator of experience with the series.
    Yeah but I'm 18 and I've seen every one, read the books, seen the unofficial/parody films, etc... age is no indicator of experience with the series.

Obviously you're one of those who dove into all of it faster than others. Something you should be proud of. My son hasn't gotten around to the books yet, but by 12 he'd seen all the films and has a decent knowledge of scenes and characters and will only get better. My own fandom began at age 8.
    Speaking of milestones, I just hit 3,000 posts here today and had at least that in the old KTBEU- quite happily I might add :)
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    He's only 18; to be fair he's still young and there're so many things out there to distract his attention from getting to grips with the series' history. He would have just been born when Brosnan started out.

At 18 years old, if you don't know a man called Sean Connery played one of the defining icons of 20th century popular culture, you need to have a long hard look at whether your formative years were of any consequence. IMO. It's basic general knowledge. It's like not knowing who Michael Jackson was. You'd have to be sleeping under some pretty hefty rock.

Some people just aren't that bigger fans of Bond and like other things. True I would have thought that, by 18 in this day and age, you would have at least heard that Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan played Bond even if you haven't seen their films. But some simply have no reason or desire to take up an interest in 007. It's not that important to them. Bond is ultimately disposable entertainment - not highbrow art or important history.

Regarding this work colleague It is weird to think that when he was born I was 9 and both excited at the idea of seeing Goldeneye in the cinema and disappointed because it was rated 12 - meaning I couldn't see it.
    Here's a nice clip from the film:

• retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Wha? Next you're going to tell me that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.
    With the exception of Connery, Brosnan did/does have the best career outside of Bond, there's no question. And I love that a lot of them are very Bondian roles that he's done. The Matador, as funny as it is, counts. The Tailor of Panama, Fourth Protocol, Thomas Crown Affair... all good stuff. And the November Man looks great so far.
    Oh, I am really looking forward to November Man. I'm happy to see Pierce in some satisfying roles outside of Bond.

The man has had a good deal of tragedy in his life, including the recent death of his daughter. I'm glad he is still married to Keeley and has a solid career going. I wish him well. He has certainly given me hours and hours of entertainment. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy.